• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Falcon CHAT! The Captain Falcon Social Thread

Twewy

Smash Lord
What's more painful: A kidney stone or a Falcon Punch.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The main thread by Xiivi and Discussion topic by Sagittarius already serves as the GD (General Discussion) and effective Social thread. Please take discussion there.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Wait, so why was the old thread de-stickied? Just wondering.
That one was mainly for pre-release speculation and discussion. Now that the game's out, all the "default" forum threads made by Xiivi are being put to rest in favor of newer ones.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a native english speaker and do not understand what a Captain Falcon social thread exactly is... however, I'm gonna ask this here: Are there any good combo videos/ good videos overall for good old Falcon by now?

oksas

oak-sauce
social thread is basically an "anything goes" thread, I think. just a thread to "be social" and chat, generally in regards to captain falcon though I think haha. so basically anything goes. major props for learning English to such a high level :D

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I'm not a native english speaker and do not understand what a Captain Falcon social thread exactly is... however, I'm gonna ask this here: Are there any good combo videos/ good videos overall for good old Falcon by now?
Well someone posted a thread about this moveset video.

Not really a combo video or anything, but it's something, and it demonstrates the meteor smash on his utilt, which is new.

Also, there's a whole moveset sticky, so I imagine combo videos will pop up there as we learn more about the game.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
social thread is basically an "anything goes" thread, I think. just a thread to "be social" and chat, generally in regards to captain falcon though I think haha. so basically anything goes. major props for learning English to such a high level :D
Yeah.. thanks :D .. That was stupid.
It's probably not because of my english skills that I don't know what a social thread is supposed to be.
I thought "social" may have a different meaning in that context... :i6rkW:

Thanks to Nixon_Corral for the vid & info :)

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

The first rule of Falcon Chat is that there are no rules to Falcon Chat.

The second rule of Falcon Chat is that we do not talk about Falcon Chat.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Man I love that Utilt Meteor Smash property. Finally Falcon gets a distinct difference between the shared Utilt move Samus & Falcon share. Her grounded hit launched them upward, Falcon's airborne launches them downward.

*Took a look at the Smash 4 Smilies*
Damn! They look good!

TheBlueFalcon

Smash Cadet
Have Smash 4, main Falcon.

His buffs look shiny at first but playing in 1vs1 For Glory, he's probably still Brawl tier.
Since FD is the only stage in that mode online, projectile campers have a field day by shooting at long range and grab/punishing at close range. Duck Hunt and Mega Man are the worst for this but there are plenty more.
Falcon's Knee is a solid chance to KO at any reasonable percent and it's definitely easier to sweetspot, but increased landing lag will catch you out the first few times at least (as well as giving the opponent plenty of room to punish). Same goes for a few of his other favourites.

In the matches I've played so far he has been continually outprioritised by most other characters. Reflet (Tactician) in particular is a very bad matchup since he can spam side-B from morning 'till noon and disrupt your already limited approaches.
If fighting For Glory in lag, input delay will also work against Falcon's fast fighting style and can play havoc with your combos if you aren't prepared for it. Again, as said, constant FD means that the many projectile users can and will camp you forever without remorse.

His jab has been modified considerably, now you can have one of two options depending on button press:
1) Gentleman with decent knockback, even KO chance at high percentages near ledge - does not lead into quick jabs any more
2) Quick jabs which do low amounts of damage and finish when you let go of the jab button - Falcon dishes out a quick uppercut with good knockback if it lands, easily avoidable however and overall a weaker move than Brawl's variant

However, jab-grab is still very much present and a viable setup when you get a chance to use it.
Grab range is still tiny but dash grab is better now.

Falcon Kick now does half-reasonable vertical knockback making it safe at lower percentages. Pleasantly surprised to see side-B can now KO at around 130%, useful for catching someone off guard (if you can get close) but still has terrible shield stun and will definitely get you grabbed if you miss.
One point of relief is that we can no longer kill ourselves by accidentally Raptor Boosting off the stage. Falcon now knows how to stop at a ledge and won't hurl himself into doom any more. Yesz.

Up-B is more or less the same but can now cover more horizontal distance if you hold left or right after the move. Personally this has killed me on several occasions due to accidentally side-Bing by mistake while offstage - easy to do on the fiddly 3DS pad and crippling since you only get 2 stocks each in For Glory.
Also, Up-B seems to have a nasty tendency to send you straight up into the air when it feels like it, covering almost no horizontal distance and causing Falcon to drop like a stone. Make sure to get plenty of practice recovering this time.

D-tilt now has good horizontal knockback but this means less combo potential. U-tilt can send the opponent straight down which is a nice bonus. Side tilt is still useful.

Elbow of Judgement/side-smash is more or less the same, decent finisher. D-smash has less range (surprised me the first couple of times) and seems to be quite a bit less powerful in terms of knockback. U-smash still works nicely, looks to be harder to land off the ledge though.

Lastly, they actually managed to make the Punch less viable in this game. It's a split-second slower to charge and has been massively nerfed in terms of knockback - it's no longer a reliable KO at average percentages, and in some cases it doesn't send them any further than an uncharged smash. Disappointing as the Punch was a nice little mindgame in Brawl.

Falcon has definitely received an overall buff in this game but he is sorely lacking in terms of projectiles, and other characters have received bigger and better buffs. The newcomers are a different subject altogether and they are generally a serious threat.
As it stands, playing him in 1vs1 For Glory against many characters will require us to come up with new tactics and strategies to deal with the new roster. Brawl was tough but right now I think Falcon is facing his biggest challenge yet, buffs or not.

But that matters not. Falcon fights for justice, and in SSB4 justice will be dished out by the Knee or the Fist.
No matter the odds, we must unite and show them our moves! Come on! :4falcon:

Last edited:

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
I got to try Falcon. He feels really good. I was able to beat sword normals with up air and his side b got greatly improve. I was able to do a 50 percent combo. Most of his moves got buff and his jab still beats projectiles. He has good speed and great damage. He feels like a mix of 64 and Brawl Falcon. To me he seems strong and reliable.

His nerfs are back air and down air. Back air can be shield grab unless you cross up and down air has a lot of lag.

Edit: Oh and his side b no longer goes off the edge. You can do it without being scare of sd.

Last edited:

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
So I tested some techs with Falcon, and I was able to discover that he can Falcon kick through platform, just like gannon can wiz kick through platform. Don't know if this should be in advance tech section, but we need a name if we decided to put it in the advance section. What about Falcon Shock, or Raptor Spire. lol

The tech can be seen perform by gannon at the end of this video.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24502089

Devil G.

Smash Apprentice
Lastly, they actually managed to make the Punch less viable in this game. It's a split-second slower to charge and has been massively nerfed in terms of knockback - it's no longer a reliable KO at average percentages, and in some cases it doesn't send them any further than an uncharged smash. Disappointing as the Punch was a nice little mindgame in Brawl.
What the hell? D:

Thanks for your analysis.

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
Remember when one of our techs as Falcon mains in Brawl was to tell people at tournaments that we just started playing?

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Here's a pretty good video for Captain Falcon impression.

Also I'm so happy Captain Falcon is good again, I've always been a huge fan of Captain Falcon even though I don't play him seriously.

Last edited:

Devil G.

Smash Apprentice
He looks just like how I wanted him to be. The wait is going to be even harder now =P

Last edited:

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
Here's a pretty good video for Captain Falcon impression.

Also I'm so happy Captain Falcon is good again, I've always been a huge fan of Captain Falcon even though I don't play him seriously.
-N64 styled U air
-Utilt is actually useful
-PAWNCH punishes
-Combos amazing

Somebody Falcon Pinch me.
I must be Falcon Dreaming.
:falcon64::falconmelee::falcon::4falcon:
*Falcon Faints*

Boshi PV

Just another Wolf
3DS FC
2724-0961-4824
Switch FC
3729-0626-1690
Man I can't wait for all the Falcon mains to Show me their moves! Falcon always elevates the hype and doesn't look like he's gonna stop doing exactly that. I've seen some stuff from sky` on his stream on him and the Punch punishes are sooo hype! Give em the knee of justice boyz

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
Can anyone confirm if Captain Falcon still has his special star rod smash attack where he launches a few stars instead of just one?

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
It is in my great honor to spread the good news to all who live. Men and women, both children and grown-ups alike. Our lord and saviour has given us all his royal blessings to show our moves. This is truely a once in a lifetime opportunity. We must grab this chance to grace the humble Smash' online services with our deity's divine presence. But only as a community combined can we hope to strive for this noble goal, making the world a truely better place.

May Captain Falcon's fists unite us all.

Devil G.

Smash Apprentice
GAME just sent me a message, the game is available for me to pick up. I can't wait to try Falcon out, it'll be the first thing I'll do :D

EDIT: I'll just say he feels awesome. That knee man.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
GAME just sent me a message, the game is available for me to pick up. I can't wait to try Falcon out, it'll be the first thing I'll do :D

EDIT: I'll just say he feels awesome. That knee man.
You know the drill with the knee:

TheBlueFalcon

Smash Cadet
Couple of notes based on 1vs1s For Glory just now:

Little Mac MU: Goes without saying but keep this boxer in the air and mindgame around him. Mac's extreme power when grounded and near-helplessness in air completely changes the way the game works. Approaching him direct is practically suicide for Falcon (even worse than Brawl Bowser) as he cuts through our grounded attacks like a hot knife through butter.
As said he's all but completely helpless midair though so that's the time to take him out, meaning he's Knee fodder, but his fastfalling helps him get grounded quick so don't waste your opportunity.
Bait his laggy punches and strike back hard using any means available. Watch out for U-smash as it's practically lagless on cooldown and a good Mac will try to use this to bait you instead.
Basically - onstage and grounded he will make short work of you, get him in the air offstage and he's as good as dead.
Common character online so it will be good to see more analysis of this MU over time.

Robin MU: Side-B (Arcfire) is deadly in the right hands, don't get too close or you're inviting Arcfire followed by Thoron or dash attack/smash. Stay out of its range.
Down-B (Nosferatu, health drainer) can reverse the game if they catch you with it, especially if you're facing the other way as it does more damage with your back turned. I cannot stress enough that this actually increases your damage while healing Robin - needless to say it's very dangerous, so don't risk laggy moves within his reach.
His attacks hit hard when powered by the Levin (thunder) sword and his weapons recharge quickly after they break, but when his tomes/sword run out he is left at a disadvantage. Use Falcon's speed to take advantage of the opening.
He can also run out of Elwind (up-B recovery move) leaving him a sitting duck for offstage attacks. Robin/female Robin say a distinctive grunt when their tomes or sword break, listen for this and seize the chance.
His throw is fairly poor but he has a decent jab, almost as good as Falcon's. Stay out of side-B reach as much as possible and you'll have this covered too.

Martha/Lucina MU: Martha is considerably more dangerous out of the two because tipper smash is as deadly as ever. Her favourite aerial moves have had cooldown time increased so they're less dangerous, but still advisable to play her more or less the same as in Brawl. Stay out of tipper reach.
Lucina is not quite as powerful but she's still a threat. She can't follow and punish as well as Falcon but her aerial game is still strong, watch out for D-smash as it's fast and deadly, and gives her followup options. U-smash is hard for her to land but is a nasty vertical killer too.
Obviously beware Counter and the same rules as always apply if you're fighting someone who's Counter-happy (i.e. grab until the cows come home and don't let them bait Falcon's killer moves).

Knee: All you need. :4falcon:

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Little Mac MU:

Robin MU:

Martha/Lucina MU:
Knee: All you need. :4falcon:
I like these matchups so I'd like to comment on them as well.

Mac: The only thing you have to watch out for with him is his smash attacks. Fighting him is pretty straightforward. Shielding out of dash is very effective against him, it allows you to punish with either a dash attack or a grab -> dthrow to set up uair strings. Just get him to 65-80 percent, then dthrow him and knee, its a guaranteed KO on him almost anywhere on the stage. The only problem is if you screw up and he gets into the 90s, that combo won't work anymore and you'll have to just throw him off stage or use raptor boost or bair.

Robin: Like you said, the side b is the biggest problem. Covers Falcon's best approaches. The best way I've found to beat him is to bait out the Arcfire and try to get him in the air. Once you get him with a grab or a dash attack or a nair, you really need to keep the pressure. Avoid letting the stage reset to neutral, which is where Robin is really good. Again, dthrow into the knee works on him. Don't do it till around 75 though. It's a little more advanced but I think that uair into knee is actually a little nicer against him. Harder to do though.

Marth/Lucina: Basically the same characters, only difference is that Lucina is slightly better at edge guarding and Marth is significantly easier to KO with. This matchup is funny because It's something of a reversal of the old Melee Marth/Captain matchup. In Smash 4, Falcon's actually got the better grabs than Marth does. Marth can't shield grab as easily as Falcon can, you can usually dash up to them, shield some attack, grab, and then get him into an aerial string whereas he doesn't have nearly as many followup options after a throw, and has a shorter range grab. The basic plan of attack in this matchup is to space nairs to approach, or use dash grabbing, then build percent with aerial strings, and finally KO him with a throw into the knee or raptor boost, which works well on both of them when fresh. One thing though, it's probably best to avoid getting into a deep edge guard against them, they have really good options in those situations. And the only thing to watch out for specifically against Lucina is the shield breaker, which makes shield grabbing REALLY dangerous if they're using that move a lot. Marth's is a bit dangerous but its not as likely to break your shield, he's gotta charge it a lot more.

Top Bottom