• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Falcon CHAT! The Captain Falcon Social Thread

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
The Captain is a heck of a lot of fun to play as, though I wish F Zero would be brought back in some way, shape or form. An F ZERO arcade game (like in the veins of Pole Position, Hang On, and Daytona USA) would be amazing to say the least.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Good evening. I used to be on Smashboards around the time Brawl was still relevant (some people may still remember me). While I've turned towards Time Attacking F-Zero GX since 2014 (currently 25th on F-Zero Central's Ladder, and 3rd best french player of this game, both in Max Speed settings. Also used to hold 2 World Records, and I'm still holding an European record), I picked up Smash 3DS recently, and while getting used to the controls, I've played some For Glory matches, and either I kicked butt, or I got my body handed to me in slices.

Not gonna lie, I like how the good ol' Cap is turning out in Sm4sh. I've read somewhere that he had some nerfs, but I'm not really feeling it. get outta here shulk Also, it feels good to beat a Corrin spammer on For Glory and finishing the match with a Falcon Punch. Brings me joy :')

So yep, it's been a long while, but I'm back !

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Sup man, been a long time but nice to see you're still playing. Most of the action is taking place on discord servers nowadays, so try to join the Falcon server (and the fr server).

And about the nerfs they are minor compared to how much the mechanics changes buffed the captain :
-raptor boost has a sourspot that doesn't spike
-no grab armor on up B and a hand that is completely exposed while recovering
-knee and stomp are slightly laggier and don't autocancel from a short hop anymore.

But the buffs man, the buffs. Well you'll see by yourself.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
I've seen the changes on most characters, and I'm sad that the "Grounded Falcon Kick cancel upon reaching a ledge" that was in Brawl can't be reproduced anymore (although Ganondorf still has it for all his Down-B variations). I haven't unlocked the 3rd Falcon Kick variation yet though so maybe this one will be able to be cancelled.

There's a french Discord server for Smash ? I should look into that soon.

An F ZERO arcade game (like in the veins of Pole Position, Hang On, and Daytona USA) would be amazing to say the least.
There is one, named F-Zero AX (with more or less the same engine as F-Zero GX, which was released at around the same time. There's also an advanced technique exclusive to AX). But good luck finding the Arcade Machine itself, considering how rare they are, though I've heard there's one in Las Vegas.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
There was an AX machine here in Canada's Wonderland, but it never worked. The ultimate *********.

FalcoSBM1990

Smash Cadet
Looking how @Wizzrobe plays C.Falcon, especially against M2k in the WTFox 2 , made me realize the huge room development C.Falcon possess, in the other hand,Wizz is practically a child and so gifted with him, I never saw a better C.Falcon after witnessing that game, I think C.Falcon is a successful choice for gifted people while I start believing that Wizzrobe is the chosen one, he has still a lot of room development, I even start suspecting that Wizzrobe sees his opponent's movements in a slow motion, which isn't a wonder, he's so precise with the grabs, he precisely runs though its opponent without even being touched mostly times, I mean C.Falcon is way faster than Fox, if possessing gifted reflexes beyond common developed standards, the chosen one, will someday reveal C.Falcon's full potential, 80% knee hit chances, a magnificent timing beyond understandings, etc...

I think I was in coma, thank you Wizzrobe, may you will transcend common limits.

Last edited:

Grass

Smash Lord
in the other hand,Wizz is practically a child and so gifted with him, I never saw a better C.Falcon after witnessing that game,
whoa too much ass-kissing there bro. He's good, but I don't think he should be idolized.

I even start suspecting that Wizzrobe sees his opponent's movements in a slow motion, which isn't a wonder, he's so precise with the grabs, he precisely runs though its opponent without even being touched mostly times, I mean C.Falcon is way faster than Fox

He plays like everyone else.

if possessing gifted reflexes beyond common developed standards, the chosen one, will someday reveal C.Falcon's full potential, 80% knee hit chances, a magnificent timing beyond understandings, etc...
Everyone would pay to have invincible melee hands. Imagine if Hax had invincible melee hands.

Last edited:

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Hello. I am a traveling warrior looking for my Smash 4 main(s). As a part of my journey, I will be visiting all the character’s social threads who I think I might main. So, hi! To add some substance to my post, what do you think about character socials? I think they are a great way to talk with fellow people who play the character and learn more about the character as well as being able to chill and talk about stuff irl.

:luigi:Hope to talk with you again!

falcon PUNCH!!!

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
sw-5103-3346-4530
yes
On the subject of buffs, I believe Captain Falcon is a very strong character in this game and does not need any drastic changes in order for him to succeed. However, there are a few aspects about the character that are completely unnecessary and are more frustrating than anything. The main issue is the lack of vertical range on most of his attacks. In particular, his grab and his up air. Both of these crucial moves suffer from a very unfortunate problem against all of the smaller characters and even a few of the middle-sized ones in that they will just completely miss against any of the many animations that lowers a character's model. Just for comparison, I loaded up Brawl to perform some tests that I was doing on Smash 4 against crouching opponents.

I went to preface this by saying I understand the difference in the mechanics between both Brawl and Smash 4 in regards to air speed, falling speed and all of that. But in spite of that, I feel that some things should be consistent across the games or modified to accommodate for the change in attributes. Also these tests were done on both sides of the crouching characters, and takes into account periods where their model might momentarily rise or lower during their crouch animation.

Against a crouching Sheik, in Brawl both Falcon's grab and dash grab are able to consistently grab Sheik. His lowest up air is also capable of connecting against her, although it is a bit hard to land. In Smash 4, Falcon's grab and dash grab are very strict about the spacing needed to grab Sheik and are likely to whiff against her. I could not connect the lowest up air on her. Jab seems to have the same properties in both games.

Against a crouching Pikachu, both games allow you to consistently grab Pikachu. In Brawl, a low up air is possible to connect with while in Smash 4 it could not connect. Brawl Falcon's jab seems to be much more consistent to connect with against Pikachu and is more lenient with the spacing, allowing you to jab Pikachu from nearly a character length away. For Smash 4 the jab will miss unless you are much closer.

I also went and messed around with G&W and Jigglypuff, who I think have the lowest crouches in the game. In both games, both of these characters avoid the lowest up air and jabs. It's worth noting that Brawl Falcon can connect a strong knee on G&W, whereas I'm having no success trying that in Smash 4. The big difference is that in Brawl, Falcon's dash grab is fully capable of grabbing a crouching G&W and Jigglypuff, whereas in Smash 4 the characters are pretty much immune to all of his grabs in the crouching state.

That about sums up what I've experimented with. These tests aren't really 100% thorough, but I tried. Keep in mind these were only done against crouching characters. This does not take into account the various animations that can lower a character's hurtbox, such as the jump squat animation, landing, many attacks (Pikachu after performing Thunder as an example, he lowers himself and avoids any grabs), dashing, etc. Falcon's attacks whiffing against them is a very real thing, and can happen very easily. Often times I find myself and other Falcons attempting to punish certain actions, only to have their punish miss and be put into a very disadvantageous position.

I want to point out that Wii Fit Trainer was given a buff that extended the vertical reach of her grab range. Both WFT and Captain Falcon are of a comparable size in height, and both have grabs that share a similar property in that they come out low, and then raise a bit. WFT is actually capable of grabbing a crouching G&W and Jigglypuff. Not consistently mind you, but it is absolutely possible and illustrates that a buff like this for Captain Falcon is not unreasonable.

A lower reaching grab and a lower up air hitbox would really solve a lot of problems. If the up air could start just a little bit lower, almost to the point of matching the visual interpretation of the attack with the whole white line graphic, that would be really great. As it stands, the attack doesn't really start until Captain Falcon is almost completely horizontal, which really does not match what the attack animation conveys. I feel that up air is an extremely important tool and a buff like that would be extremely great.

The only other major problem Captain Falcon has is being able to secure KOs after 100%. Between around like 60%-100% he is able to get very swift KOs with any of his setup options, but after 100% they mostly stop working and the situation gets pretty unpleasant. Raptor Boost and his smash attacks are extremely unsafe and are generally unreliable as a result. So I think a simple solution would be to simply buff his back throw. In 64, back throw was able to safely secure KOs around the early 100s, so restoring that power or at least something close to it would do wonders. The back throw we have is fairly strong, but it doesn't really work early enough in my opinion. It starts working around the later 100s, almost close to 200%.

In a nutshell, make his grab and up air range go lower to the ground, and increase the power of his back throw. I don't think this is unreasonable, and it improves Captain Falcon's issues with smaller characters and KO ability. I still think Captain Falcon is one of the most balanced characters in the game and you only have to change him a little bit just to correct some needless flaws. Nothing about him really needs to be changed mechanically. (Although I don't think anybody would complain about having an auto-cancelled down air again, Falcon Kick having its Melee properties or a 3-frame knee)

Top Bottom