• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Falcon CHAT! The Captain Falcon Social Thread

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Anyway, I looooove C. Falcon, and I popped over here to hang out with people who also love the character. What's up guys?
Yo. :falconmelee:

I pocket main Ganon since he's a complete monster in FFA which makes for awesome rages from my friends. Falcon is just all around fun to play both in FFA and competitively.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Yo. :falconmelee:

I pocket main Ganon since he's a complete monster in FFA which makes for awesome rages from my friends. Falcon is just all around fun to play both in FFA and competitively.
I remember you from the original Smash 4 Social thread wayyy back in the day. Howdy.

ItsIve

Smash Cadet
I've been having Falcon doubts lately. Fatality vs. Mr. R was absolutely disappointing (and I love Fatality, don't get me wrong), and my confidence in the character's viability has dropped pretty heavily. We also lost Trifroze too I think, and his video about choosing mains really opened my eyes and realized the fears I've been suppressing. And then I went to play some Smash with a group of friends the other day and then someone who seconds Pikachu (just to beat Falcons, strangely enough) came too and I didn't even want to face him, even though he really wanted to play me. I've recently been taking a liking to Ness (he's the only other character in this game whose design I think is cool) and I two stocked his Pikachu, only taking 34 percent during the whole match. And it made me realize that I could've never done that with Falcon. And when I played my other friends I was getting similar results with Ness as I do Falcon. The only exception was my friend who mains Ganon, he got close to taking a game off but Ness' fair for edge-guarding came in clutch. It felt so good to actually break out of stupid up-tilt combos and grab crouching opponents too lol. Despite all my doubts though I'll still stick with the character for now. Gawain's video on footstool combos gave me a lot of hope for Falcon and reminded me why I chose him in the first place.

I'm mostly just venting here, so this is super irrelevant. My bad

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Naw man it's okay that's what socials are for. Fatality/Mr R was hard for Fatality because even though he's the best Falcon main out there I think he's still below the other top players in skills. I'm waiting for the replays to analyze more of it.

Now about maining Falcon, even though it's the most awesome thing to do in smash you should not let character choice limit your potential. If you feel like playing another character will help you perform better in tournaments then go for it, take your Ness to a tournament and see how it goes. Maybe you'll come back to Falcon with a few new tricks up your sleeves, maybe you'll stick with Ness, who knows ?

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Out of curiosity, how many Falcon mains here ACTUALLY played F-Zero? (any of them)
& Likewise, who here has NEVER played the games despite maining Falcon?
While he's more of a secondary, I was a new fan of F-Zero right before I got introduced to smash bros. (which was mostly melee) I've played almost every bit of F-Zero content there's out there, even F-Zero AX. So yes, I've played all the entries. The expasion for X is literally the only thing I have yet to play. Then there will be nothing new left for me to play....nothing...

F-Zero U/NX be soon please.

Last edited:

Sirocco

Smash Rookie
If the frame data on that Kurogane Hammer site is accurate, then I gotta say Falcon's frame data got really butchered across games. I couldn't find Brawl frame data for him, so I don't have that comparison. Jumpsquat went from 4 frames to 5, meaning it takes 1 frame longer to get airborne. His aerials with the exception of the Knee last just as long as they do in Melee, but their hitboxes are not active as long as in that game. This is especially noticeable with the Nair; first hit is on frames 7-8 and the second hit is on frames 20-21, as opposed to Melee's 7-12 first hit and 20-29 second hit. This significantly reduces the range of threat, walling potential and makes Falcon much easier to hit in between his Nair. Up air lost a frame. Bair and Dair lost two frames. The Knee is exactly the same... except with like 6 additional frames of cooldown and 11 additional frames of landlag. Falcon's slow startup on his aerials were offset by how long their hitboxes lasted and the amount of distance he could cover with them using his speed, but all that is kind of lost here. Especially since Smash 4 doesn't let you carry your momentum from a run into a jump. I wonder if we would be so dependent on our dash grab and bad DI in this game if we had momentum that actually differentiates between a standing jump and a running jump? Anyway... our position right now is pretty unfortunate. One could hope for buffs in future patches. Our highest priority right now is just fixing our grabs to hit smaller opponents.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Dude It's been FOURTEEN years since Melee, it's time to let go. Also Melee knee was ridiculous and the thing that hurts Falcon the most is the lack of L cancel, which is why I'm going to the lab and see what Falcon can do with frame syncing/frame canceling.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Also Smash 4 is basically melee/brawl with +10 frames of endlag on everything.

Example: many Dsmashes in Brawl had FAFs of 35-40, in smash 4 most are 45-50.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
That's not the case for Falcon tho. Only his Fsmash got more ending lag than in Brawl (considering it has more kill power than Falcon punch it's a decent tradeoff imo), Dsmash and Usmash are unchanged.
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Captain Falcon
http://smashboards.com/threads/show-me-ya-frames.285074/
http://smashboards.com/threads/captain-falcon-hitboxes-and-frame-data.284165/
Probably because they were fairly slow already. Falcon got it pretty good in Smash 4 imo.

I mean

You could always be Zelda:

FAF Increases Brawl > Smash 4
Fsmash 40 > 50
Usmash 57 > 64
Standing Grab 30 > 38
Dash Grab 40 > 47
Pivot Grab 36 > 45
Fair 40 > 53
Bair 36 > 53

Poor Zelda. Hue.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Oh lawd.
I knew about the Fair and Bair stuff because you could SH double Bair in Brawl but that's just sad to see how they gutted an already bad character.

And yeah Falcon was really helped, I mean his pivot grab was frame 16.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
Not sure if anyone would consider this a late reply but,
Out of curiosity, how many Falcon mains here ACTUALLY played F-Zero? (any of them)
& Likewise, who here has NEVER played the games despite maining Falcon?
I've only played the original F-Zero (and I'm bad at it).

Sirocco

Smash Rookie
Well sorry, I don't mean to keep bringing up that game. I'm just trying to help myself understand the strengths and weaknesses of the character across all the games. I'm thinking about what works and what doesn't, what is well designed and what is questionable. Basically I just want to understand Captain Falcon as a whole. Also since Smash 4 is being updated fairly often, I like to think about the possibilities that come from them.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
GG to stipher, if a "stipher" exists.

I knee'd this person offstage as a means to stage spike, but he/she managed to tech that on the bottom of Flat Zone Omega and was actually able to recover.

Good stuff to you. You're the first person of 6 successful off-stage knees I've ever performed to not get stage spiked.

Last edited:

SamuXCI

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamuXCI
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Hello everyone Captain Falcon has been my main since I was 8. (24 now) Just wanted to say hi to you other Falcon users. :falcon64:

perseus

Smash Rookie
Sup guys - i've played falcons since the 64 but skipped out on melee unfortunately and brawl but im back on sm4sh. Currently putting in the work to show off at some locals and then hopefully a major in the near future.

Tythaeus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX-R4GE-Xx
3DS FC
4038-7179-8613
Hi everyone. Something funny had happened to me not too long ago. The other day I was playing a friend using Captain Falcon. I grabbed him near ledge and just pummeled until he escaped. I caught his jump with U.Tilt and took his first stock. I specifically told him I'm going to do the exact same thing next stock and to NOT jump if i'm just pummeling at the ledge. The exact same thing had happened and my friend got mad at me, said Falcon's U.Tilt needs to be banned at tournaments, and left the room. Lol. Is it just me or do low level and some mid level players fall for that too often?

link2702

Smash Champion
I'm desperate for help here Falcons, pac-man players are driving me crazy lately. I can't find any strategy to handle a even slightly decent pac player. Everything gets shut down by hydrant and bonus fruit. the water bursts always throw everything off for me, then I get some lately who set up traps with trampoline which only makes things more frustrating

I don't think even ice climbers with their chain grabs in past games frustrated me this much

I can't even find a way to handle him as my other characters link and Shulk, but I figure with falcon being my main I'd ask for help here first.

So how do I approach this matchup?

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
With patience and methodology. You can't play the Pacman matchup by approaching blindly and ignoring his neutral and down B.
Get familiar with those, understand that you can't stay right under him, pick stages like BF or Lylat and most of all do not lose patience.

The moment you lose your patience is the moment you get hit by a key and a hydrant and lose your stock. You can't approach him ? Well neither can he so stay safe, poke him from a distance, steal his projectiles from him, break his hydrant before him, avoid the water or use it to your advantage, etc etc.

Tythaeus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX-R4GE-Xx
3DS FC
4038-7179-8613
Playing against Pac-Man also used to annoy the living hell out of me, but I'll have to agree with tuluoborg about playing that matchup patiently and familiarizing yourself with Pac-Man's specials.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Well, that is it then. There's nothing left for me to play in regards to F-Zero. I just played the expasion of X and recently AX.

TFW...tfw nothing left to play in F-Zero...

At least Fast Racing Neo will be out soon.

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I have something akin to all the kill%s for Raptor boost with optimal di and a general idea on how rage affects it

Interested?

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Every time I start to feel competent as the Captain, I watch one of @Trifroze's videos.

Then I go cry myself to sleep.

I swear, all of his videos are like:
super_combo_.gif

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Well, that is it then. There's nothing left for me to play in regards to F-Zero. I just played the expasion of X and recently AX.

TFW...tfw nothing left to play in F-Zero...

At least Fast Racing Neo will be out soon.
It's always sad to see that Nintendo is refusing to make another F Zero while simultaneously publishing another mario tennis.

I have something akin to all the kill%s for Raptor boost with optimal di and a general idea on how rage affects it

Interested?
You should be asking the question to yourself because real men act following their own belief. So are YOU interested in posting them ?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
It's always sad to see that Nintendo is refusing to make another F Zero while simultaneously publishing another mario tennis.

You should be asking the question to yourself because real men act following their own belief. So are YOU interested in posting them ?
I am entirely interested in posting it,even if I haven't finished all the rage things.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lqNWHK8hDNbf-XfE49PfH2PGX0eWYorSb3lq6HMP0Kw/edit?usp=sharing

I was however asking because I did not want to come in here posting a link, etc, etc

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Dude if you spend time in the lab, get reliable data then come post it here the only thing you're gonna get is respect.
Speaking of which good job, and I have one question : what DI did you use ? I guess right or left but I want to be sure.

Also does the 8% rule work for rage effect too ?

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Dude if you spend time in the lab, get reliable data then come post it here the only thing you're gonna get is respect.
Speaking of which good job, and I have one question : what DI did you use ? I guess right or left but I want to be sure.

Also does the 8% rule work for rage effect too ?

The di used was di away from Falcon/ Raptor boost because the angle was 85 degrees.
Down/ Down Away/ Up away don't allow them to live any longer.

My best guess would be to assume the 8% rule for rage because the angle of raptor boost doesn't change.

As well, the 8% rule stems from a characters ability to di and live 8% longer than the rest (for some it's 5-7) so 8 was just a be all end all rule to guarantee death regardless

Di won't affect the minimum % rule for rage

Last edited:

Tythaeus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX-R4GE-Xx
3DS FC
4038-7179-8613
I am entirely interested in posting it,even if I haven't finished all the rage things.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lqNWHK8hDNbf-XfE49PfH2PGX0eWYorSb3lq6HMP0Kw/edit?usp=sharing

I was however asking because I did not want to come in here posting a link, etc, etc
Nice work man. If I'm reading this correctly, and please correct me if i'm wrong, while you have 60% rage raptor boost kills at least 8% earlier, 80% rage kills at least 15% earlier, and 100% rage kills at least 20% earlier, with all of these varying from character to character and if you take in optimal DI, just add an extra 8% to get certain death?

Last edited:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
So I've always wondered...is Douglas Jay Falcon his real name or was that just the anime?

(And before I never get an answer to this)

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Nice work man. If I'm reading this correctly, and please correct me if i'm wrong, while you have 60% rage raptor boost kills at least 8% earlier, 80% rage kills at least 15% earlier, and 100% rage kills at least 20% earlier, with all of these varying from character to character and if you take in optimal DI, just add an extra 8% to get certain death?
That's exactly right!

Sorry for the delayed response, I swear I posted. Guess I didn't

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
So, has anyone get the lagless ledge getup timing down? That tech looks hella useful.
I'm too lazy to even try, but I might sometime.

Well, six more days until I celebrate the series. Hope I get some viewers ...

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Went to a doubles tournament as Falcon with a bro going Toon Link.

We managed to get 5th out of 60 teams, not bad I'd say. Soon I'll have a replay in hands in which we land TL's dair -> techchase -> Falcon Punch in all glory and awesomeness.

Top Bottom