• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco, Top Tier material...

JCav

Smash Lord
ok i love falco, i used him in melee and i use him a lot now, BUT i dont think hes top tier material. the only reason is because i have a hard time KOing with falco
his bair is good for KOing but his uair, dair are hard to ko with. his f smash is too slow, his down smash lost a lot of range, his up smash is ok
but if u can convince me on better moves to KO with, ill change my mind

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
mid-tier, he has the same problem that alot of lighter characters have, He can dish damage but its a workout to get a KO. Last game he seemed way more powerful.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Ftilt, Uair sometimes, and a Fsmash shouldn't be that hard to land, he has so much combat control with his shine and lasers he should be able to hit the opponent when he wants to.

MeloDeath

Smash Apprentice
We cant really say alot about that right now, but the way things look, he could be really good.
If you wavebounce/B-stick his double lasers, he could become untouchable. That coupled with an interruptable dashattack and a solid shine spacing suppression, i think he is mid to high tier material at VERY least.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
ok i love falco, i used him in melee and i use him a lot now, BUT i dont think hes top tier material. the only reason is because i have a hard time KOing with falco
his bair is good for KOing but his uair, dair are hard to ko with. his f smash is too slow, his down smash lost a lot of range, his up smash is ok
but if u can convince me on better moves to KO with, ill change my mind
Hay.

Um, if you have online, would you like to play? I think I'm not bad with Falco. Perhaps I'll get disappointed but who knows. If I do turn out to be pretty good then I can show you how I KO.

eriKK

Smash Rookie
Falco is mid to high tier..but not top, but hes capable of being top just like any other character

Pengie

Smash Lord
Falco lacks some KO power but his spike and F-smash and maybe his U-Smah can KO people. What you have to remember is to not spam his F-Smash or else it gets much more difficult to kill people with it. Overall I would say he is around high tier.

Athos

Smash Cadet
So far I've been quite dominant using Falco. I find that he has no real weakness. Excellent recovery, strong projectiles, a beastly reflector, and strong smash attacks. I don't understand how you people are having such difficulty killing with falco. Uair will kill most characters at around 120-130ish. Other than that downsmash and f mash work well. Also make sure to keep going for spikes. So yes, I think he definitely has a shot at top tier. If not top tier, I feel from the currently of play that he will end up high tier.

Goron

Smash Rookie
His recovery isn't top notch, but he has great combo ability/potential with the blaster and reflector. I like his dair, mostly because I haven't played any tough matches due to lack of Wifi compatibility with an Airport router. Apparently, though, its easily countered or avoided (could someone explain?).

Also, his fmash has great priority as far as I can tell, and is a good kill move in the lower 100s if you can time it right. He also has the highest initial hump and possibly the best fast fall. Then there's the possibility of wavebouncing with the blaster upping his game, but I don't really know anything about that. I suppose moves like that are considered in tier rankings though.

Then again I'm no pro, just got knocked out of the Gamestop national tourney in the second round. :(

Dacman

Smash Rookie
falco was an aerial character in Melee, but I think he's more to the ground in Brawl, kinda like Fox. he has a shorter ranged fsmash, but it hits lower and is good for edgeguarding. I personally don't think his dair is bad for kills, it just needs timing. I believe Falco is definately top tier, but those who play him cant play him like Fox, hes a completely different character

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Good combo maker, strong smash attacks, decent recovery. I'm pretty sure that Falco has improved greatly since Melee.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Falco is mid to high tier..but not top, but hes capable of being top just like any other character
Bull, not every character can be top. Stop listening to Sakurai.

Falco is very good. I don't have troubles getting kills with him. I camp with him, abuse certain moves like Shine, and get extremely aggressive off the edge to ensure the KO.

spiegel

Smash Rookie
He seems a lot slower this time around, hes overall speed difference with fox very apparent. He's a good char, but I don't think you can say he is "top tier"

Drakuaza

Smash Apprentice
Fsmash has a sick range, he has shl, awesome chaingrabs/throws, the shine, 2 great spikes, phantasm is fast, strong and excelent recovery move, aerials like bair, dair and uair just pwn everything, falco will be on the top tiers if not the top tier.

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
-Falco is extremely hard to edgegaurd. I originally thought I was exaggerating that, but M2K basically said the same thing. >B is a beastly recovery.

-The shine is a spacing tool, punishes rolls, cannot be reflected, can be used as a combo finisher, also as an edgegaurd. Contrary to popular belief, it can constantly reflect in front of you. THE most useful reflector. Also, did I mention it trips people? Anything they do after that is punishable.

-Falco's aerial game is amazing. Bair is a sick finishing move, and the speed of his initial jump is ridiculous, allowing you to punish easily. Nair is great for combos and has ending knockback. Uair has been nerfed, but it is still a viable killing move. Dair has been nerfed, but it still has insane priority and does spike at a great angle. Fair is his only below average aerial.

-SHDL spam screws most people. Combine that with the reflector, you have a nearly inpenetrable gaurd against aggro players.

-Chaingrabs up to nearly 20-25%. Much more on Ike, Dedede, Boswer, DK. Cancellable Immediate Dash attack -> Usmash. Nasty.

Falco will be high. I wouldn't be suprised if he is in the top tier.

holysnap

Smash Cadet
I think Falco has a chance at being top tier, I dont have any problem KOing with him, nearly all his aerial attacks have KO potential(fair and nair maybe not so) , and his dsmash an fsmash are good aswell. He of course has shl and his shine is weird at first but crazy fun.
Tbh I still even spike people sometimes, deff top tier material

Tron

Smash Cadet
For me, the jury is still out on Falco in Brawl. I can't help thinking that every move that was changed is a downgrade from Melee. I'm hoping it's just the newness of the game.

Out of all his Melee moves, I miss f-smash the most. That move had ridiculous range and was a respectable KO move. Hitting with the tip of Falco's foot left you out of throw range also. Luckily, d-smash still has pretty good power. Up-a seems like it might be good but I haven't messed around with it enough.

Reading the posts, I agree that Forward-B is now better, which is good because I like using it when least expected. Up-B is still useful in certain situations but it's skying power might be reduced. More practice is needed!

Pnguyen1028

Smash Rookie
I agree :urg:

His new Fsmash is a downgrade. That's all it is. Nothing better about it, only flaws. I miss his Dsmash dearly too. The range on the brawl Dsmash is pathetic. Usmash got better though I think. It actually kills now! But then I'd just be trying to be fox :laugh:.

Jun.

Smash Lord
falco seems to have gotten pokemon moves....

fair - drill peck
fsmash - wing attack
nair - aerial ace

but even though i play falco in brawl, I don't think he'll be top tier. He's too slow this time around and doesn't have as good of a moveset like some other candidates. He is just.... too slow! RIP melee falco...

MichelFalcaut

Smash Cadet
We cant really say alot about that right now, but the way things look, he could be really good.
If you wavebounce/B-stick his double lasers, he could become untouchable. That coupled with an interruptable dashattack and a solid shine spacing suppression, i think he is mid to high tier material at VERY least.
B-sticking falco is VERY RISKY. Unless you've perfected the neutral B-stick, you'll end up dashing off the stage most of the time.

Yes, quick KOs may be a problem, but having patience is key. Falco is pretty good at keeping distance and taking opportunistic strikes. Sure, you won't get instant gratification (unless you set up down spikes) like Ike players do, but Falco has staying power. A lot of it.

Sage07

Smash Apprentice
Falco ,in my opinion, is slower by his new moveset has balanced it out. Back on melee u were unce able to do a down grab followed by his down-B, now that his down-B has been slowed a bit, the best time to use it now is after a down-A.

thx

Smash Ace
i think falco could be top tier he has the downthrow chain his lasers are annoying he can rack up alot of damage and even tho hes weaker he still can kill well ive faced some good falcos and i think hes still great

Drakuaza

Smash Apprentice
of course he is great, his attacks are improved in all way, except 2 of the aerials. neutral and front. however valco fs is very strong , not my fault you dont know how to land it and kill people that are at 80-90% and later you say, falco is weak cant kill, that proves how wrong and how bad you might use him.

RedShadowHero

Smash Rookie
I haven't had much problem with his neutral air. Its great in a close space where they are slightly above you. I'm not sure I can think of other good uses at this time, though.

goodkid

Smash Lord
Falco's tier position shouldn't matter. As long as he is good, which he is then lets leave it as that.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Falco ,in my opinion, is slower by his new moveset has balanced it out. Back on melee u were unce able to do a down grab followed by his down-B, now that his down-B has been slowed a bit, the best time to use it now is after a down-A.
That only worked if your opponent was a ****** without index fingers to press a shoulder button.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Falco's combination of blaster (just as good as in melee) and his improved recovery, I would say that Falco has a large chance of being a good character. I've even switched over from Fox because he played to much differently....:urg:

FatalAssasin

Smash Rookie
I think he definately has potential but probably not top tier. Definately up there though and if you are a good player you should be able to beat most opponents. Tiers mean nothing without skill.

Sage07

Smash Apprentice
I think he definately has potential but probably not top tier. Definately up there though and if you are a good player you should be able to beat most opponents. Tiers mean nothing without skill.

I agree with you, and the fact that Falco is far from most used I would put him around the 5th or 6th

Top Bottom