• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Control Alterations Thread

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
A few posts in the social thread regarding tap jump got me wondering, how many different ways do people change the controls for this character?

Please post your controls and what kind you use. What are the reasons for the changes you make? Are they for personal preference, or technical play? Anything to benefit the character as a whole?

As for me, I kept mine the standard controls (GameCube controller). To me there is no significant difference if I changed it around. By now it would just ruin what I am adapted to.

If you guys make any main points I will add them here.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
I keep mine neutral, and part of it is because that's what I started playing Brawl with. Also, DEHF has standard controls, unless if I'm mistaken. I don't see anything that Falco benefits from having it on, other than maybe you can mess up tilts. Even with standard controls, you can just use X or Y to jump.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I might also point out the controls might also be influenced by a persons grip.

for instance my right hand claws the control lol.

swordsaint

Smash Master
How does having Z set to attack increase DACUS length?
literally speaking it doesn't.

it more has to do with grab vs attack. if you use a grab button to extend, it is shorter because its a longer period of time before the grab will upsmash rather than boost grab. if it's attack it isn't limited by that so the dacus can be closer to perfect. (perfect being the BDacus which is literally impossible without a buffer)

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
Can you DACUS with attack set to R button? Or can you just use the A button if your finger reaches it?

swordsaint

Smash Master
it doesn't matter what the button is, as long as the input set to that button is correct.

I claw the control so I just use A.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
L is set to jump (Makes it easier to IAP)
Z is set to attack (Extends DACUS length)
Y is set to grab
Tap jump OFF
YOU HAVE THE SAME SETTINGS AS ME. I'VE NEVER MET SOMEONE WITH THE SAME SETTINGS.

/caps

I originally set L to jump to Jumpshine/Fh laser with Wolf, but it makes Iap easier with Falco as well. It also makes Jump canceling Usmash OoS and Jc toss easier. Z>Y makes Boost Pivot Grab simplistic to do and Dacus is easier with Z as attack and TA off.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Tap Jump Off

Y = Grab

Rumble = OFF

That's all I use. Y Grab is the best thing ever, makes boost grabbing and boost pivot grabbing easier, and the Y button is generally more responsive/reliable than Z :p

From the sounds of it, maybe I should set Z to attack... I've never tried that O_o

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Yeah guys, I call it the poor man's BDACUS lol. Set Z to attack, and when u go to DACUS, foxtrot (press forward twice) input DACUS normally. It goes about as far as BDACUS, albeit BDACUS startup time is faster and the hitbox comes out while hes sliding. (As opposed to DACUS's hitbox is at the end of the animation.)

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
I keep it simple.

L to Jump for IAP.
Tap Jump off.

Although, I heard changing your Taunt buttons (D-Pad) to Attack, Grab, Shield or w/e, it helps you break out of grabs faster when mashing.

BluB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Crazy_Arni
I only set L to attack for doing the regular Dacus and for charging the BDacus.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
In cast anyone wants to know :
-R set to Jump (I shield with L I know I'm weird), easier dash SH Dairs
-Tap Jump off, so that I can DI up while offstage without risking of using the mid air jump

My right pointer finger switched between Z (grab), A (chargeable dacus) and X (mid air manoeuvrability, best way I found to do an advancing/ retreating aerial).

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
Z set to attack removes ability to boost pivot grab?
(Just asking; I'm unable to test it atm. Otherwise I'm conforming to this strategy)

Also teluborg, I hear L-shielding is actually more natural for left-handers; in which case I would use R for IAPs and SH Dairs.
However I don't know if you are left-handed.. otherwise I agree; you are weird =p

Other than that I have L jump for IAP, and X grab for LAZY chaingrabs (and for buffered standing cgs - i play against fox a lot these days and they **** - enough to stop yourself from screaming when your grab gets out-ranged by his uptilt stupid combo)

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
My controls:

R = Attack
Z = Shield
Y = Grab

Tap Jump Off.

Everything else = default.

Explanation behind my control scheme:

R is set to attack because I find it much easier to use BDACUS using it instead of just using the C-stick twice. It feels really awkward to me when I try to use that method. This in turn allowed me to also just use DACUS and Gatling using R also. I like using the same button for all of my methods of DACUS. Sooo much easier.

Z is shield because it allows me to use Shield Cancel Grabs easier than using a shoulder button. My L button is always used for shielding though. It just feels super awkward to me without it. I find moderate use with Shield Cancel Grabs as Falco but its mainly for my DDD. The entire point of my control scheme was to find something that I could use for all 3 of my characters.

Also I find it funny I'm totally right handed and cannot shield without L.

Y is grab simply because I needed a grab button and X has always been my jump. It took a little bit of getting used to using X for IAPs but it feels fluid now. Plus Y is a bigger button than Z :)

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
R=grab
Z=attack
Y=special
tap jump off

How do input the BPG if you use Y for grab? Do you use A to start the dash attack? I always thought you had to use c-stick for some reason or other. If you still need the c-stick, I feel more comfortable using a shoulder button.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
For BPG using Y Grab I:

Dash > Flick C-Stick Down + Z (shield) + flick back on the control stick.

Works out pretty well for me. Then again my controls are a LITTLE weird.

AgentObvious

Smash Cadet
Pretty simple controls:

Tap jump off.
R = Grab.

And that's pretty much it. I've always had a better feel doing DACUS and BDACUS charging with R instead of Z.

Top Bottom