• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FAE's Lucas Advanced Techniques Guide

KoozyK

Smash Ace
I don't think you can win soley on mindgames.

The only reason Lucas can win is because of one reason.

People don't know the MU.

Lucas is not a good character, and not a bad one. But very few people ever play Lucas and don't know what to do against him. This is what we have up our sleeves.

Imo, at least.
...Pink Freash, Galeon. they get played all the the time by legit player. Galeon being in Florida i highly doubt they dont know the mu.

No doubt these tricks help us alot. i made sure i knew these before i knew regular AT, but ur gonna have to outsmart the players ur playing playing this low tier. ANYONE can read a zapjump or magnet pull, or for that a dusterslide or zap cannon. if you put ur opponent in a possition where they have so little options that they have to get hit by what ur doing or they just let u do what u want, u basically
...........nevermind.

yea that has alot to do with it, but when the person figures the mu out or knows it is when u to depend on spacing, mind games and reading.
Anyone can come to this thread and see what we can do.

DatBass

Smash Cadet
Lucas is low tier because his options are worse than the options of most other characters. I play Lucas because I love the Mother 3 series (too much) and I don't want to win any tourneys, I just want to enjoy the game and lol. If I wanted and expected myself to win, I'd pick goddamned mk xD

Like Randum said, IMO people lose to the earthbound characters because they don't know the MU. Rich Brown and most other olimars have such a difficult time against Ness for the main reason that they're clueless about how to approach the MU.

PixlFayc

Smash Apprentice
yeah lucas is a damn beautiful charachter, hes got such great combo opportunities, one thing ive never managed to do though is, down tilt lock, i doubt it will be much use against good players, i mean i do use down tilt combos like down air fast fall-down tilt-foward smash but i cant seem to do the chasing with downtilt i mean moving at the same time like in the gif, everytime i try to walk inbetween it either just is too slow and the charahcter esxcapes or it starts dashing or does a foward tilt, is there some trick to this ? tilt stick?

other question is about zap jump. i can perform it by doing side b + unmodified jump button (no tap jump because i hate it) but the timing has to be so precise not at same time but like 1 frame later pk fire am i right? is there any good method to making this more reliable or just practise? atm i seem to only get the zap jump about 30% of the time so i dont really use it in serious matches any advice?

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Guys Lucas is a great character. The only thing we have against us is the infinites.
I believe I have advanced his metagame with the new techniques I have created with him. I practiced them and now they are in my muscle memory and help greatly in tourney.

This is lucas in my mind. He is very powerful and quick but lacks priority(this means that other moves over power his and he can even get grabbed through his moves and stuff).
So the strat I created for him is to have good spacing and when the time is right attack the opponent before their attack comes out. In order to do this you have to have great reading skills and learn your opponents habits quick. I have to say guys I have mastered this strat after clash 1 and now believe my lucas can compete in singles against any character. Lately, I am winning friendlies against M2k(I could not even touch him in the past) and dominated kids on wifi (2 and 3 stock on a consistant basis even tho wifi doesn't mean much). I'm going to change the tier list with my lucas guys! I'm ready and I need your support! Cheer for me yall! I've worked hard to empower him and now feel the benefits coming! I almost beat Nairo in tourney even. Was just some small mistakes. Not like it was impossible or anything. We got this guys! Don't give up on Lucas!

Chuee

Smash Hero
Guys Lucas is a great character. The only thing we have against us is the infinites.
I believe I have advanced his metagame with the new techniques I have created with him. I practiced them and now they are in my muscle memory and help greatly in tourney.

This is lucas in my mind. He is very powerful and quick but lacks priority(this means that other moves over power his and he can even get grabbed through his moves and stuff).
So the strat I created for him is to have good spacing and when the time is right attack the opponent before their attack comes out. In order to do this you have to have great reading skills and learn your opponents habits quick. I have to say guys I have mastered this strat after clash 1 and now believe my lucas can compete in singles against any character. Lately, I am winning friendlies against M2k(I could not even touch him in the past) and dominated kids on wifi (2 and 3 stock on a consistant basis even tho wifi doesn't mean much). I'm going to change the tier list with my lucas guys! I'm ready and I need your support! Cheer for me yall! I've worked hard to empower him and now feel the benefits coming! I almost beat Nairo in tourney even. Was just some small mistakes. Not like it was impossible or anything. We got this guys! Don't give up on Lucas!
Yeah, you looked really impressive from what I saw from the clash stream. You really got lot better against MK and even though you lost against Will 3 times (what luck ;_;) you still managed to do really good and probably could have won without the infinite.
Good stuff, I'll be looking forward to seeing you **** in singles.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
haha thanks! Yea I def. would have beat Will. I was always in a heavy lead and then he would infinite. Then I would still bring it back and get a lead and he would infinite again.

With the mk thing...yea man I have the perfect punishes for mk. The only mk I lost to was Nairo and after game 1, I had figured him out and was about to win game 2 but he pulled out a few new tricks and I slipped in my handling. Could have had him. But I learn from every match and from that match I learned the power of mk neutral air. Top mks use it for heavy shield pressure. Never had seen it used the way he did before. I'll be ready next time! ;)

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Nice if u watch any of my recent vids(too bad clash 1 is taking forever) u will see I get alot of people with it. And combo with it. It is a pretty awesome tool that allows us to capitalize on reads.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
I'm reading this guide and I can do most of the stuff, I just got zap jumping down. I'm wondering if for some of the other stuff (wavebouncing, in particular), is the b-stick necessary? Can I do it without b-sticking?

KoozyK

Smash Ace
I'm reading this guide and I can do most of the stuff, I just got zap jumping down. I'm wondering if for some of the other stuff (wavebouncing, in particular), is the b-stick necessary? Can I do it without b-sticking?
are you talking about regular zap jumping or wave zapping?

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
I just wandered if b-stick was absolutely required for any of this stuff. Something about what can be not b-sticked would be nice.

lil cj

Smash Lord
I really need to learn how to Dusterslide and Slopedash :/

I just wandered if b-stick was absolutely required for any of this stuff. Something about what can be not b-sticked would be nice.
FAE is right.
My opinion on b-sticking is it isnt necessary...just makes things more flashy.
All its used for is wavebounced pk fires and wavebounced magnet pulls.
You can do that all with regular controls. The wavebounced magnet pulls are more difficult though without b-sticking but it can still be done.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Once clash 1 vids come out. I'll show u. Cuz in those vids I have the muscle memory down and use it when the situation calls.
Found them:)

Singles:

Vs Will
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YruquJN7PKY

Vs Will 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So3c7d08NVU

Vs Kingtoon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJiDWyiBgww

Doubles:

Mekos & M2K vs Will & ADHD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckqh0BJWJIk

Mekos & M2K vs Nairo & Vinnie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPiNU7ZsqNQ

Mekos & M2K vs Nairo & Vinnie 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z_ePfgs0c8

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Alright Mekos, if that be the case, then i'll aspire to do it too!

Also waiting for tournament vids to come out. I have the feeling i played some friendlies on it.

SSS

Smash Ace
I figured something out. I dunno if it's been discovered yet. With Lucas, use Zair right before you hit the ground. You can then go into almost any move, with pretty much zero lag. Is this legit? Has it already been discovered? It works the best with Fsmash, but also works well with Usmash. It'll help get the damn thing to hit.

SSS

Smash Ace
I figured something out. I dunno if it's been discovered yet. With Lucas, use Zair right before you hit the ground. You can then go into almost any move, with pretty much zero lag. Is this legit? Has it already been discovered? It works the best with Fsmash, but also works well with Usmash. It'll help get the damn thing to hit.

Oh. This is totally just a buffer during a SHAD. Derp.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
i figured something out. I dunno if it's been discovered yet. With lucas, use zair right before you hit the ground. You can then go into almost any move, with pretty much zero lag. Is this legit? Has it already been discovered? It works the best with fsmash, but also works well with usmash. It'll help get the damn thing to hit.

Rood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rood2790
Didn't realize Lucas was such a technical character! Might have to pick him up eventually.

MasterOdai

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much. This is more than enough haha. I think Lucas is the hardest character to perfect due to the numerous techs involved in play, but i main him and wont look back. Thanks FAE!

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
I tried to jump cancel when I first learned it, but I kept messing up at really important times and would do an Up smash instead, so I gave up trying to learn it. There are some things I'd learn that didn't have really bad consequences if I mess up e.g. Zap Jump, Zair Jump, Magnet Cancel, etc. But after I was able to start doing it like 20% of the time I tried to use it in a few tourney sets and could only do it a few times. The rest were all Up smashes and that's just such a bad thing to do randomly, so I quit trying to use it.

And for Zair Jump I just do an aerial, airdodge, pk fire, or whatever, hold up on the control stick, hold X which is my shield button when whatever I did starts to end, then I hold up and press Z.

For example: Full Hop --> Nair --> Hold up on the control stick like a split second before Nair's cooldown ends, Hold X --> Press Z.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Never could zair jump, this should help.

I can jump cancel really well, but it requires tap jump so i gave up on it. Using the magnet will suffice
wasting your jump when using PKT2 offstage is really detrimental to lucas' ability to survive

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
He's saying that he can jump cancel with tap jump well but he doesn't like using tap jump because it forces him to lose his double jump when he has to use PKT2 to recover.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Hey guys, new to Lucas.

My problem, is i tend to input OoS Uairs (used to ZSS) and Fairs out of sheild by rolling to jump.. Due to his Zair i tend to just OoS and Zair.

What can i do to avoid this problem?

Thanks!

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Hey guys, new to Lucas.

My problem, is i tend to input OoS Uairs (used to ZSS) and Fairs out of sheild by rolling to jump.. Due to his Zair i tend to just OoS and Zair.

What can i do to avoid this problem?

Thanks!
THIS IS SO ANNOYING.

The only way do stop this is to let go of shield after you buffer the jump, but before you input the aerial.
Very awkward to do so on reaction... SDI has become a reflex for me, but this requires conscious thought.
A question to you, how to you OoS SH Uair quickly? It feels awkward for me so I usually just nair or FH dair...

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Well, as a ZSS player OOS Uair is a huge deal. The best way to do it is, when you're in shield hold SLIGHTLY up on the analog stick. As if you were going to Utilt with tap jump on, that lightly. Then do your roll from jump to attack. It takes a while to get it down to muscle memory. If you do it too hard you'll Usmash.

Good luck.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Lucas main here :)

Let's make a name for our little blonde boy .... God that's weird.

EDIT when I set the C-stick to specials, I always screw myself and accidentally input a PK Freeze when I mean to use PSIMagnet. Anyone have this problem too and know how to fix it?

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Lucas main here :)

Let's make a name for our little blonde boy .... God that's weird.

EDIT when I set the C-stick to specials, I always screw myself and accidentally input a PK Freeze when I mean to use PSIMagnet. Anyone have this problem too and know how to fix it?
You're pushing the C-stick diagonally instead of down.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
You're pushing the C-stick diagonally instead of down.

Mhm I try to do a PSIMagnet going to the left or right but it screws up all the time. I use I have to be more precise with the input. In heated gameplay it's a piss off when you PK freeze off a ledge :/

EDIT: Is it known that when you use B-Stick, say you were running right, pressing diagonally down left on the B-stick will make Lucas jump except reversed, keeping all his forward momentum? I'm not sure if it's known but i just did it yesterday. Great for setting up Bair spikes when edgegaurding .

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Mhm I try to do a PSIMagnet going to the left or right but it screws up all the time. I use I have to be more precise with the input. In heated gameplay it's a piss off when you PK freeze off a ledge :/

EDIT: Is it known that when you use B-Stick, say you were running right, pressing diagonally down left on the B-stick will make Lucas jump except reversed, keeping all his forward momentum? I'm not sure if it's known but i just did it yesterday. Great for setting up Bair spikes when edgegaurding .
Uh, I just use the normal b input + the required analog input when wavebouncing/b-reversing a magnet.

also learn to c-bounce, b-stick sucks. C bounce is done by using the b-stick as you normally would, but it's still set to smashes, and when you use the c-stick you also press the b button at the same time to make it work like a b-stick.
you cant SDI or aerial and 'DI'ing if you use b-stick.

buy yeah, you only need b-stick/c-bounce for PK fire. Wavebouncing Magnet or freeze is easy with normal inputs.
Ill post my controller setup for you tomorrow.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Uh, I just use the normal b input + the required analog input when wavebouncing/b-reversing a magnet.

also learn to c-bounce, b-stick sucks. C bounce is done by using the b-stick as you normally would, but it's still set to smashes, and when you use the c-stick you also press the b button at the same time to make it work like a b-stick.
you cant SDI or aerial and 'DI'ing if you use b-stick.

buy yeah, you only need b-stick/c-bounce for PK fire. Wavebouncing Magnet or freeze is easy with normal inputs.
Ill post my controller setup for you tomorrow.

Thanks man! I'm trying to be a better Lucas and preparing for my first tourney in November. He's been my main since day one but haven't gone serious until this summer :] I'll try that out right now, it sounds good.

Top Bottom