• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
That intro movie is so hype. Gave me chills near the end of it.

Can't wait to see Mewtwo's portion of the intro in there eventually.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I'm not sure how I'd feel about Mew. I've never been interested in him, as a Pokémon or as Smash character. I've always been far more partial to his, in my opinion, vastly superior clone. However, I've never really thought about Mew as a character, and it would be unfair and biased for me to shoot him down right off the bat. I might be partial to Mewtwo, but I'll never deliberately shoot down a character I've never even paid a passing thought to without getting to know more about him in my right mind. Like said before, his vast move pool to pull from gives him incredible moveset potential, and that alone grabs my attention, if only a little. I'm interested to see what I can learn about Mew. Granted, we should probably keep it rather short: This thread was create for discussing Mewtwo, not the original.

On a totally unrelated note, I found Super Smash Bros. for Wii U's intro movie. It's super-hype, for anyone who hasn't already seen it!
There is a lack of the Two of Mews

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
I'm not sure how I'd feel about Mew. I've never been interested in him, as a Pokémon or as Smash character. I've always been far more partial to his, in my opinion, vastly superior clone. However, I've never really thought about Mew as a character, and it would be unfair and biased for me to shoot him down right off the bat. I might be partial to Mewtwo, but I'll never deliberately shoot down a character I've never even paid a passing thought to without getting to know more about him in my right mind. Like said before, his vast move pool to pull from gives him incredible moveset potential, and that alone grabs my attention, if only a little. I'm interested to see what I can learn about Mew. Granted, we should probably keep it rather short: This thread was create for discussing Mewtwo, not the original.

On a totally unrelated note, I found Super Smash Bros. for Wii U's intro movie. It's super-hype, for anyone who hasn't already seen it!
honestly theres one thing mewtwo doesnt have that mew has: the ability to learn any tm, hm, or (with a few exceptions) move tutor. not to mention its one of only 2 pokemon to transform (other being ditto) and also can use metronome (practically any move is available at random). all i can say is: for a moveset in smash, theres near limitless potential here. almost makes me think mew was originally made to test tms and hms (thats not the story but would it really surprise you?) just saying. heh even mewtwo has its limits on what it can learn.

i advocate mew because of its uniqueness. even 6 generations in, mew has still got it.

plus i really, really wanna re-enact the first movie.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
By the way i feel like doing this someday

Unlock as may stuff as possible with mewtwo in melee for a celebration of his return (also to practice with him just in case his moveset is identical to melee extremely buffed ofcoarse in ssb4)

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Man the sound effect Mewtwo's Shadow Ball makes when fully charged is terrifying & shooting that in the intro alone would give me chills:
http://youtu.be/BUNDchN7Qtk?t=8m20s
@ 8:22 is where I get scared of Mewtwo's Shadow Ball.:scared:
Well, it's nice to know I'm not the only one! That sound effect is just so... Powerful and terrifying! I absolutely love it. If there was one thing wrong with Project M's Mewtwo, it was the absence of this sound effect. I hope an updated, possibly even better, version of it appears with Mewtwo in SSB4.
honestly theres one thing mewtwo doesnt have that mew has: the ability to learn any tm, hm, or (with a few exceptions) move tutor. not to mention its one of only 2 pokemon to transform (other being ditto) and also can use metronome (practically any move is available at random). all i can say is: for a moveset in smash, theres near limitless potential here. almost makes me think mew was originally made to test tms and hms (thats not the story but would it really surprise you?) just saying. heh even mewtwo has its limits on what it can learn.

i advocate mew because of its uniqueness. even 6 generations in, mew has still got it.

plus i really, really wanna re-enact the first movie.
Thank you for the info! I have to say, now that you've mentioned a move like Transform, you've really grabbed my attention. Perhaps, if transform were one of Mew's moves, he would randomly transform into a playable character? And for Metronome, he could randomly use another character's Special Attack. Maybe Mew would Smash's luck oriented character, with his moves being based on randomness and luck.

Or maybe that's more suited to Ditto:p.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
It's tradition at this point for Mew to come out of a Poké Ball and fly away. I think it would be hilarious if Ditto was on the selection screen and transforms to a random fighter on the stage at the beginning of a match.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Well, it's nice to know I'm not the only one! That sound effect is just so... Powerful and terrifying! I absolutely love it. If there was one thing wrong with Project M's Mewtwo, it was the absence of this sound effect. I hope an updated, possibly even better, version of it appears with Mewtwo in SSB4.

Thank you for the info! I have to say, now that you've mentioned a move like Transform, you've really grabbed my attention. Perhaps, if transform were one of Mew's moves, he would randomly transform into a playable character? And for Metronome, he could randomly use another character's Special Attack. Maybe Mew would Smash's luck oriented character, with his moves being based on randomness and luck.

Or maybe that's more suited to Ditto:p.
mew is a unique breed. unlike ditto mew can blow your mind in other ways~ once i used metronome and it came out as sacred fire. :D heheh. yes it could. its standard b could be randomized versions of every fighters standard b move. *impish smile* i think mew would be a VERY unique fighter indeed. its pokeball form is disapointing though. flies up in the air and may drop an item. whoopdedoo.

Spirst

Mew would be a cool and unique character, for sure. Bowser Jrs clown car is a good statement that characters don't have to be conventionally designed with legs on the floor. I imagine Mew floating slightly above the ground in its bubble and being a very unpredictable character with metronome.

Still think Kakuna needs to be a playable character though. Harden 24/7. Super armor on all his moves.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I wonder what Mewtwo would of done in Smash 64. . .

He was supposedly planned to be in the game but was cut due to time restraints. Still, I wonder. . .

Spirst

I wonder what Mewtwo would of done in Smash 64. . .

He was supposedly planned to be in the game but was cut due to time restraints. Still, I wonder. . .
I wonder how weird he would've looked in comparison to Pokemon Stadium. Smash 64 didn't have the most amazing graphics, even for its time. I also wonder if he would've had a moveset similar to Melee like the teleport for his up-b.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
hmmm me too.... hes gen 1, so he should have been in. obviously lots of psychic moves, i think 64 was released before the first movie...
Exactly!
That's what baffles me. Sure Sakurai would know a lot of inside info before they get out via medias such as movies or games. A Darkness-based elemental type of attack wasn't introduced until Melee & patented solely by Ganondorf alone. I'm not sure if Darkness attacks in the form of Psychic moves, were to be in Smash 64, & I feel old talking about Smash 64 involving Mewtwo, but still it's interesting.
I wonder how weird he would've looked in comparison to Pokemon Stadium. Smash 64 didn't have the most amazing graphics, even for its time. I also wonder if he would've had a moveset similar to Melee like the teleport for his up-b.
That tail is the one major thing I can think of that would be very weird to see being used in his attacks.. . .Like, nobody else had patented tail-attacks until Pikachu & Yoshi came along in Smash 64 & Melee. Teleport in Smash 64 seems, like it could of worked but it would of looked like Pikachu's Quick Attack most likely.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Mewtwo in Smash 64? I would've loved that to happen, because anybody in Smash 64 has a guaranteed spot in all future games. And that would've stopped the horrendous crime that was his exclusion in Brawl. As far as Darkness goes, I actually like how Mewtwo uses it. Even if it doesn't make immediate sense, it definitely fits his character. However, because Darkness was not planned to be in 64, I think that, if Mewtwo had been in 64, we would be looking at a very different Mewtwo in Melee. As far as Confusion goes, I doubt we would've got that, due to its Command Grab properties, and Teleport would likely be similar to Melee's, but visually different. Presumably, Disable would also be the same, due to Jigglypuff's Sing, only with minor differences. For Shadow Ball, I highly doubt we would've got that. The move hadn't even been seen yet, let alone implemented into the games. I think we would've seen either an attack similar to it, though without the jagged path and damaging charge, or a completely different physical attack. But, because the Mewtwo I just described does not appeal to me as much as the Mewtwo we know and love, I think it might be worth it that Mewtwo missed out on Smash 64, even if that does mean we have to stress every time a new Smash game is announced:p.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
I gave up on Mewtwo when I gave up on DLC, and that was when Sakurai stated that he would be done with all pics of the day by the end of the year. To me, this meant that Nintendo had no big plans for SSB4 after both were released, as surely a DLC character would take until the new year to develop and releasing DLC right on the heels of a release is not Nintendo's style. That was the nail in the coffin for me, and I fully disconnected myself from online Smash discussion in shame.

I didn't think twice about skipping the Direct's live presentation, then at the end of the day went back to the website to check the secret characters page (because even as jaded as I was, I knew Bowser Jr or DHD was getting a trailer and seeing those are always a treat). Then I checked Smashboard's news post to make sure there was nothing else of interest in the direct, and calmly decided to not even bother watching the 50-fact Extravaganza. "The sourest grapes" I told myself, observing how resigned I had become.

Then later I checked Facebook. "More Mewtwo rumors?" I told my friend "Don't play with my heart :("

Then he linked me to a news article that showed the models. THEN I watched the direct. I was so ready to call BS...right up until it went over 50 facts. By that time, I had already went through my internal fits of disbelief and tenuous hype, and at Mewtwo's reveal I was completely calm.

So yeah, that was the full arc of my reaction to the direct and Mewtwo's return. A part of me wishes I had stayed a stickler and had been there watching the very moment of the reveal, a damp spark of hope bursting into flame, but that probably would have given me a heart attack or something. It was better this way. I can't say I am dissatisfied (except for having to shell out money for a character that has every right to be base-game content), but the above ordeal is a testament to how badly they messed up hype for this game. I never, ever thought that I would be rendered indifferent to a Smash direct, but there it happened. Something's deeply wrong there, Sakurai, and only by the forces of serendipity did it happen to be the exact direct that would redeem everything for me.
Honestly, it was the same for me. By last Thursday night I had almost reached the end of my limits and even though I had to get up early to take my dog to the vet, I told myself that I wasn't going to bother watching the direct because it would be just the very same as it was before - all this new information and no new characters. And if there were characters, they would just be the ones that were already announced. Like DHD.

So, I ended up getting out of bed after the direct as I hadn't planned on watching it. It was on at 9am here. I knew I'd just end up disappointed again. Until I looked on my iPod and saw under the notifications on the lock screen that my friend had posted on my facebook. He only does that if there is big news, or he knows there is something that will interest me, so after seeing that my heart started racing and I kept thinking 'No, it can't be true.... It hasn't really happened.' because I was in disbelief, then I saw M2K's status as well. I leaped out of bed and put on my laptop. Even though the direct had finished, I watched some of the replay but then I had to go to the vet so I watched the rest when I got back. The entire time at the vet I was just sitting there in sheer disbelief and I couldn't stop smiling.

Now I'm kicking myself that I didn't watch the direct from the start. But even if I had wanted to, I wouldn't have been able to watch the whole thing as I had to leave the house. Mewtwo's reveal still shocked me to the point I cried and I was shaking for at least half an hour after watching the video lol. Because I had virtually given up. I still had hope before the reveal but it was just desperation at that point.

Now things feel right again. :)

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I think, given the circumstances of Mewtwo's inclusion this time around, we can safely assume he is a set character for every Smash game to follow from this point on.
And yes...I mean that, as in, in the main game/non dlc/unlockable/etc.

We have nothing more to worry about. <3 The struggle is done and over with.

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I think, given the circumstances of Mewtwo's inclusion this time around, we can safely assume he is a set character for every Smash game to follow from this point on.
And yes...I mean that, as in, in the main game/non dlc/unlockable/etc.

We have nothing more to worry about. <3 The struggle is done and over with.
The Mewtwo Liberation Army arises victorious.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Jumping on the Mewtwo hype train with a brand-new avatar. While Spartan Colbert is pretty sweet, it's time to give the Purple Psychic his maniacal time in the sun.

Spirst

Jumping on the Mewtwo hype train with a brand-new avatar. While Spartan Colbert is pretty sweet, it's time to give the Purple Psychic his maniacal time in the sun.
Same here. Just quickly made this right now. I'll keep it for a bit until I find something else.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
All right, you all convinced me. He's my profile pic now.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
I really hope they "lied" a bit and Mewtwo is ready for release during Christmas or something. It would warm my heart. And then i could go on destroying everyone in my path using psychic attacks! :mewtwopm:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I've never understood Mewtwo haters, unless they were against his inclusion in Melee, or just didn't like him as a Pokemon. I don't know very many people like that, yet Mewtwo haters still seem to abound. He's an original character (Not a clone) with an interesting moveset, along with several other quirks. It's strange, isn't it? Not to mention, the Mewtwo haters I've seen are fairly vocal and always seem rude to some degree, whether it be high or low. The least they could do is state their opinion nicely. Oh well, just gotta let it roll of your back and keep moving.
Even though he isn't released we should get a Mewtwo user list going like the other character's forums have.
I fully support this idea. Since somebody's gotta do it, I volunteer to compile the list. Just shoot me a PM if you want to be part of the list. When whoever is going to post the list needs it, just ask me for it.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I've never understood Mewtwo haters, unless they were against his inclusion in Melee, or just didn't like him as a Pokemon. I don't know very many people like that, yet Mewtwo haters still seem to abound. He's an original character (Not a clone) with an interesting moveset, along with several other quirks. It's strange, isn't it? Not to mention, the Mewtwo haters I've seen are fairly vocal and always seem rude to some degree, whether it be high or low. The least they could do is state their opinion nicely. Oh well, just gotta let it roll of your back and keep moving.
I'd bet money a lot of the hatred of Mewtwo is a result of his popularity.
Honestly, anti-conformist haters of anything annoy me just as much as people who blindly like the most popular thing.
However, I know for a fact that you people are not that, so people who hate Mewtwo, in short, get no respect from me. As most of them hate his popularity.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'd rather put my money on his poor performance in Melee perhaps.

-Watches Mewtwo Strikes Back!
-Learns about Mewtwo being in Melee
-Plays Mewtwo thinking he'll be amazing
-Realizes he's not top tier amazing
-???
-Mewtwo hater was born

Of course that's not what I really think, it was an arbitrary theory made-up on-the-spot.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
. The least they could do is state their opinion nicely..
>the Internet
>anonymity
>voicing things nicely
>wat

And this is a universal issue, mind you. Have this gem:

Mewtwo is NEVER COMING BACK.Get over it .He's important and was trash.Go back to your project m crybabies we have lucario and that's all well ever need

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
"Mewtwo is NEVER COMING BACK.Get over it .He's important and was trash.Go back to your project m crybabies we have lucario and that's all well ever need" -thetruthbringer

This opinion will matter when it has any semblance of grammar and also isn't a retroactively ironic statement.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
And Have this gem:
thetruthbringer said:
Mewtwo is NEVER COMING BACK.Get over it .He's important and was trash.Go back to your project m crybabies we have lucario and that's all well ever need
Mmm, whatcha saa-aay
Mmm, that you only meant well, well of course you did

BUT WHEN THE ROOF CAVED IN AND THE TRUTH CAME OUT YOU JUST DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
So, I haven't gotten it in the game myself but I have seen somewhere that Mewtwo had a trophy in the 3DS version. Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom