• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I don't think that his moveset should be redone, just built upon. Project M did a good job of showing us what Mewtwo would look like with touch ups and new addons, but the old model is best model. Lucario just has one move, like someone already said, that really replicates Mewtwo, so having both pokemon revamped and polarized toward their tendencies, one as a floaty tank, and the other as a martial arts master. That seems to work in PM.
And even that one move could be changed, at least visually. For example, Lucario could keep charging (and shoot) Aura Sphere with both hands, whereas Mewtwo could pull one hand back, charge SB, then throw it with one hand like he did constantly in the movie.

Site note,

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I just really hope Mewtwo comes back. I miss him a lot.......I like my evil Mewtwo.......I want my evil Mewtwo back.....C'mon Sakurai.......As a new years gift c:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Frankly, at this point, I'd more prefer it if the Mewtwo for the 4th Smash Bros. installment is much less malevolent than the one in Melee. I mean, the Mewtwo in the Genesect movie was by no means an antagonist, since it doesn't distrust humans to a point that it wants to destroy them.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Frankly, at this point, I'd more prefer it if the Mewtwo for the 4th Smash Bros. installment is much less malevolent than the one in Melee. I mean, the Mewtwo in the Genesect movie was by no means an antagonist, since it doesn't distrust humans to a point that it wants to destroy them.
It was also feminine, a quality that is more related to Mewtwo's original counterpart Mew. While it fit the role of the Genesect movie M2, it's not apart of the core character.
Just about all Pokedex entries related to Mewtwo either mention how it was created through "horrific genetic experiments" or how the experiments caused it to have the "most savage heart among all Pokemon". Disregarding Mewtwo's iconic temperament and masculine association would be an injustice to the character, not unlike his poor representation in SSBM with the lack of powerful psychic attacks and all the tail flicking. Poor guy can't catch a break in Smash. What is it with Sakurai and villainous characters being so misrepresented?

At this point, though, I'm just trying to accept that we'll more than likely have the femme voice Mewtwo, since relevance is so important to Game Freak.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Sigh, yeah...

I don't have a problem with Mewtwo having a female voice in Sm4sh so much as I do them probably throwing away the most centric parts of Mewtwo's character if they go that route (the savagery, having the horrific experiment kinda feel to it, etc).

Because let's face it, Fewtwo was a much more tame Mewtwo (with how she was with humans and such) compared to what we came to know of the psychocat before. So if we get that Mewtwo in Sm4sh, it won't completely feel like Mewtwo, but rather, a less violent sister (again though, I'm alright with the female voicing itself).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The funny thing about this though, is that Mewtwo is hardly considered to be a villain anymore. Bowser and Ganondorf still maintain their villainous qualities today, but with Mewtwo, it's more about fighting powerful adversaries than trying to outright conquer the world.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Whether you consider Mewtwo a villain or an anti-hero, the core parts of its character like the savagery, especially toward humans (which Femtwo kinda lacks) should not be done away with still.

D

Deleted member 212841

Sakurai could equally draw from the recent origins special representation (which displayed these cores aspects) or maybe even the upcoming movie. Plus, the original movie was just remastered and air'd on cartoon network. This isn't the first time pokemon has tried to introduce this old character to the newer, younger audience (remember the elect ball Mewtwo event?) and I doubt it is without cause.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ironically I was thinking recently of what to do with my Electro Ball Mewtwo for when Pokemon Bank (finally) comes out, since I only have X version currently and not Y (and thus no Mewtwo Y megastone). Guess I could always go the Life Orb route with it or something.

At any rate, I'm hoping what you said will be the case. Still doubt the upcoming movie will have any material in Sm4sh though besides in the form of trophies. Speaking of which, wonder how much longer it'll be now till we get more news/footage of it.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I think Life Orb might be better than Mewtwonite Y. Mewtwonite Y only adds a little more speed, but doesn't help against things like priority Shadow Sneak which would also take advantage of the lower physical defense.

I would like Mega Mewtwo X to be Mewtwo's Final Smash if he comes back.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I think Life Orb might be better than Mewtwonite Y. Mewtwonite Y only adds a little more speed, but doesn't help against things like priority Shadow Sneak which would also take advantage of the lower physical defense.

I would like Mega Mewtwo X to be Mewtwo's Final Smash if he comes back.
If lucario comes back it should be Y because lucario is the fighting type and I'd imagine mewtwo would just be more like lucario

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
if there's any reason why Y should be picked over X is because it was promoted WAY more.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Which is why I think they should have Mega Mewtwo X as the Final Smash to promote that form...
.....what?

.....what?

that doesn't make any sense to me. why would they not use the one they were promoting? and why should mewtwo X need promotion? I think that pokemon X does a good job of that.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
My reason is they promoted Y enough with the movie and merchandising.
Remember how Mega Charizard Y was promoted in advertising and other stuff? We didn't even know Mega Charizard X existed until Pokemon Origins aired. I was thinking since they promoted the other form of Charizard through an anime special, maybe they could promote Mewtwo's other mega form through Smash Bros.

Nautilus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5000-4410
I'm kinda hoping if that if a mega form appears, and only one of them do, that it's Mewtwo Y. The only real reasoning I have is that I think Mewtwo X is the ugliest Pokemon design ever, personally. I don't wanna go near that thing. As just a final smash though it doesn't matter too much, as I'll just be playing my awesome regular Mewtwo most of the time.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
My reason is they promoted Y enough with the movie and merchandising.
Remember how Mega Charizard Y was promoted in advertising and other stuff? We didn't even know Mega Charizard X existed until Pokemon Origins aired. I was thinking since they promoted the other form of Charizard through an anime special, maybe they could promote Mewtwo's other mega form through Smash Bros.
This.. So much this. Would be even more reasonable to do that now since the Pokemon Fighters thing apparently isn't happening anytime soon. Of course, Mewtwo Y fanboys/elitists still think that Smash should cater only to them, so whatever.

And to those who still say Xtwo is ugly, could easily say the same about the butthead Y form. This is why the X form is awesome though in the looks department.

As for comparing it to Lucario because of being part fighting, well it wouldn't have the whole aura gimmick, nor would it need it with its level of physical power. A physical, less floaty Mewtwo that utilizes both fighting and telekinesis is still an interesting concept for Smash actually, whether it's in the form of a final smash or whatever.

Haters gonna hate.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5000-4410
I know you could easily say the same about the really cool (but not nearly as good as regular Metwo) Y version. Because it's a pretty subjective thing, pokemon designs. Posting a picture that includes more characters that I think look ugly doesn't change much.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
We have pretty different definitions of ugly apparently. Just leave it at that.

People talk all the time about how Mewtwo Y resembles Majin/Kid Buu, so I was just posting what was cool about the X form in terms of resemblance. :ohwell:

Nautilus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5000-4410
I never noticed any resemblance to the Majins. Mewtwo Y looks sort of like a cross between Mew and Mewtwo to me, with a couple of unique features too. Which is why I like it. Mewtwo X looks like a far worse designed version of those dudes in the picture you posted. It's the only Pokemon design I can honestly say I dislike.

And of course we have different opinions about appearance, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Dunno if I'd use the terminology you did, but I won't argue with it. Since that's my only reason for not wanting Mewtwo X, I won't be very upset if he's included. I just won't use Mewtwo's final smash in smash ball enabled matches and be happy that they ****in brought Mewtwo back.

Steelia

Smash Champion
And of course we have different opinions about appearance, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Dunno if I'd use the terminology you did, but I won't argue with it. Since that's my only reason for not wanting Mewtwo X, I won't be very upset if he's included. I just won't use Mewtwo's final smash in smash ball enabled matches and be happy that they ****in brought Mewtwo back.
While I'm a much bigger fan of his X design (mostly because it actually resembles a beefed-up Mewtwo and doesn't stick his tail in places it doesn't belong), even if they stick with the Y form for recognition's sake, it wouldn't matter to me. Make X a trophy for all I would care, just bring back the original and make him better! I really hope he has an epic return trailer akin to the Newcomers. After being unreasonably shafted from the previous game, it would be a real treat to see him in full CG like that :Q

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I never noticed any resemblance to the Majins. Mewtwo Y looks sort of like a cross between Mew and Mewtwo to me, with a couple of unique features too. Which is why I like it. Mewtwo X looks like a far worse designed version of those dudes in the picture you posted. It's the only Pokemon design I can honestly say I dislike.

Fair enough. Yeah, new Pokemon designs are usually a hit or miss for people nowadays. I'd be a little disappointed if there was only the Y form as the final smash for the same reasons, but wouldn't be that upset. A final smash somehow randomizing or alternating between the two megaforms would be better either way though, or even something more simple like Psystrike would do. So it's whatever, as long as Mewtwo strikes back again.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Yeah, if Mewtwo returns with his Melee moveset, I would like Psystrike to be his final smash. I'd be fine with either Mega Forms as well. I'd actually be really happy if he returns at all.

Steelia

Smash Champion
You're not wrong, the Mewtwo in that film is definitely different from the one in the 1st movie and special. Best guess is that it was an excuse so Game Freak could show off Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Mewtwo Y simultaneously using two different Mewtwo.

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
Mewtwo is probably going to return, seeing that they gave it a mega, a recent movie, and you can catch it in X and Y. I don't think they'll cut Lucario though, since you can get one and mega evolve it after beating the 3rd gym. Also, that tower is literally dedicated to Lucario, because of that statue in the middle. Adding Mewtwo would be awesome and I really hope they bring him back. If Mewtwo has a final smash it's probably going to be the Mega evolve. 130 speed should make it pretty fast, but as Jockmaster said:

I think his speed in Pokemon is simply from teleportation lol I don't think Mewtwo physically moves all that fast
That's kinda what I think about when I hear about Gengar or Alakazam. Both have great speed stats even though they look pretty slow.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Mewtwo is probably going to return, seeing that they gave it a mega, a recent movie, and you can catch it in X and Y. I don't think they'll cut Lucario though, since you can get one and mega evolve it after beating the 3rd gym. Also, that tower is literally dedicated to Lucario, because of that statue in the middle. Adding Mewtwo would be awesome and I really hope they bring him back. If Mewtwo has a final smash it's probably going to be the Mega evolve. 130 speed should make it pretty fast, but as Jockmaster said:

That's kinda what I think about when I hear about Gengar or Alakazam. Both have great speed stats even though they look pretty slow.
Yeah lucario is essentially the tutorial for mega evolution

D

Deleted member

More than likely, we'll be getting the Newtwo voice. Especially if Mega Mewtwo Y is featured.

Though the chance of a brand new dubbing voice to go with the characterization established in Melee is there.

Perhaps Jay Ward (voice of Wolf in Brawl) or Eric Newsome (voice of Meta Knight in Brawl) would do it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mewtwo and Mega Mewtwo Y could always share the same specials, with Mega Mewtwo Y sacrificing some attack range to boost attack power. Their standard attacks could be altered though.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
So I just saw the movie online today. It was okay, definitely not the best though. I wish Mewtwo had more edge though. The Mewtwo from the first movie wasn't hesitant, was philosophical, sure of himself, and direct when speaking and attacking. This Mewtwo spent way too much time dodging attacks, flying around and "reaching beyond the limit" instead of just kicking alien-bug ***. *Sigh*...At least it gave a couple of Aura Spheres to the face. To me, the real stars of the show were Feraligatr and Persian which is funny because I don't care about Persian and Feraligatr is my second least favorite starter evo design. I think it was more entertaining watching the other Pokemon fight instead of Mewtwo.

D

Deleted member

Mewtwo and Mega Mewtwo Y could always share the same specials, with Mega Mewtwo Y sacrificing some attack range to boost attack power. Their standard attacks could be altered though.
As well as trading up weight for speed.

I'd imagine MMY being a Lightning Bruiser.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Saw it earlier. Didn't really care for it much like I thought I would.

So apparently Darkrai, Manaphy, Victini, and Jirachi are also featured in the upcoming movie... What does that say for the Mewtwo's I wonder? No way all of these legendaries or megaforms are gonna get equally decent screen time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom