• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
http://smashbros-miiverse.com/pic-of-the-day
Week 20, Charizard X was confirmed to be the Final Smash. But I don't think they've elaborated on Lucario any further yet, and honestly, I'd prefer he had a Final Smash that wasn't mega evolution. In Brawl, he got stronger the higher his percentage was. In the Direct, Sakurai said that as Mega Lucario, all of his attacks' power would be maxed. If Mega Lucario isn't Lucario's Final Smash, I assume he'll just mega evolve when he reaches a certain damage percentage.
That would be a neat feature for Lucario, would definitely make him even more unique. I kinda hope it isn't his final smash now.

And then Mewtwo's final smash could be his mega evolution maybe.

Edit: 99 pages!

Last edited:

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
Well I still think Lucario will be unlockable, but Mewtwo and Jigglypuff will almost definitely be as well.
Your reasoning though? We have more proof that all the announced so far are starters other than the third parties. Even majority the Vets that have had a history of being unlocks have not been shown and with only 3 months left before release. And keep in mind characters with a history of being secret have bumped their way up to starter position, like it is seeming Lucario (along with Toon Link, Marth, and Luigi) has. This with what I said a few posts back, definitely solidify Mewtwo on the roster. If we boot the game for the first time and the roster contains Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, and Greninja from the start, Jigglypuff won't be the only surprise we will have.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Pokemon can have three unlockables too. Hello, Melee.

I'm willing to bet money that at least one of Luigi, Lucario, and Toon Link are unlockable.

I don't have evidence. It's just a hunch. Lucario seems like unlockable material to me.

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
Sorry guys, my first double post.

Last edited:

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon can have three unlockables too. Hello, Melee.

I'm willing to bet money that at least one of Luigi, Lucario, and Toon Link are unlockable.

I don't have evidence. It's just a hunch. Lucario seems like unlockable material to me.
Yeah, I agree with you. In Brawl's Dojo, every time Sakurai revealed a character in the roster he said if he/she/it was going to be a default or unlockable character (and if unlockable, he specified the ways to unlock him/her/it). But this time around he just reveal them adding nothing to know if they are hidden or default (because Sakurai said this time around the info in the updates will be less).

So there is no way to know which characters are unlockables. But judging how Sakurai have done things in the past, its very likely that a lot of the revealed characters so far are unlockables (including newcomers). If Mewtwo is revealed, you can bet your house that he's going to be unlockable (and kind of hard to unlock).

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
Yeah, I agree with you. In Brawl's Dojo, every time Sakurai revealed a character in the roster he said if he/she/it was going to be a default or unlockable character (and if unlockable, he specified the ways to unlock him/her/it). But this time around he just reveal them adding nothing to know if they are hidden or default (because Sakurai said this time around the info in the updates will be less).

So there is no way to know which characters are unlockables. But judging how Sakurai have done things in the past, its very likely that a lot of the revealed characters so far are unlockables (including newcomers). If Mewtwo is revealed, you can bet your house that he's going to be unlockable (and kind of hard to unlock).
In the spirit of the clever evolution from pokemon x and y (Malamar, I'm looking at you), Nintendo will have a unique requirement for unlock mewtwo. You must beat an entire match of ssb4... without touching the control with your hands, only using your mind o_0.

In all seriousness though, if I have to leave my WiiU/3DS on overnight to get him, its worth it :).

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
In the spirit of the clever evolution from pokemon x and y (Malamar, I'm looking at you), Nintendo will have a unique requirement for unlock mewtwo. You must beat an entire match of ssb4... without touching the control with your hands, only using your mind o_0.

In all seriousness though, if I have to leave my WiiU/3DS on overnight to get him, its worth it :).
Begin a free-for-all with Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, and Charizard. Match is over but instead of victory screen, "Challenger Approaching!" Winner fights Mewtwo to unlock him.

Edit: Dang, I forgot about Greninja.

Last edited:

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
Begin a free-for-all with Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, and Charizard. Match is over but instead of victory screen, "Challenger Approaching!" Winner fights Mewtwo to unlock him.

Could be an event match with 5 characters?

Edit: Oh! and make them all alternate colors so they are like the clones in Mewtwo Strikes Back... (I know Greninja and Lucario weren't in that one, but still)

Last edited:

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Could be an event match with 5 characters?

Edit: Oh! and make them all alternate colors so they are like the clones in Mewtwo Strikes Back... (I know Greninja and Lucario weren't in that one, but still)
That would be cool.

Assuming he's in, I actually really don't want him to be a starter character. He's too cool for that. So what other fun/creative ways can everyone think of to unlock Mewtwo?

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Have 50 hours logged in on Either Pokemon X or Y on your 3DS to unlock it for 3DS. Then connect your 3DS with a beaten Pokemon XY to the Wii U to unlock it on the Wii U. XP

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman

Why does everyone say Jiggs is going to make it in? its not set in stone. Heck being cut is more likely then you think.

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
Why does everyone say Jiggs is going to make it in? its not set in stone. Heck being cut is more likely then you think.
I think jigglypuffs name comes up a lot with mewtwo because of veteran status (and they likely have an edge on squirtle and Ivysaur).

I'm not sure it matters to much though, at least in terms of Mewtwo's chances of getting in. We just threw Jiggs in because he is a relatively safe guess But your right, nothing is set in stone.

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
That would be cool.

Assuming he's in, I actually really don't want him to be a starter character. He's too cool for that. So what other fun/creative ways can everyone think of to unlock Mewtwo?
Probably complete story mode (if there is one) with the other Pokemon characters on normal or higher? That's my suggestion though.

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
Probably complete story mode (if there is one) with the other Pokemon characters on normal or higher? That's my suggestion though.
No story mode this time around, I think we will just be getting classic mode and all-star (besides normal VS modes, and smash run on the 3ds).

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042

No, if Melee or Brawl are anything to go by, than these that we have revealed are starters. You're correct that the Dojo labeled who was what. But you seem to overlook that those marked as secret on the website were uploaded on dates AFTER Brawl's Japanese release. Same with Melee. Sakurai does not release secret character info until after the game releases, other than 3rd Parties.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
No, if Melee or Brawl are anything to go by, than these that we have revealed are starters. You're correct that the Dojo labeled who was what. But you seem to overlook that those marked as secret on the website were uploaded on dates AFTER Brawl's Japanese release. Same with Melee. Sakurai does not release secret character info until after the game releases, other than 3rd Parties.
You're right. Sakurai revealed unlockables after japanese release except 3rd parties. My memories were a bit off because I remember Sonic's reveal happened months before JP's release and I assumed incorrecly without checking. My mistake.

Now I get your point and is a very valid one indeed. Some of the characters that we are waiting to comeback from Brawl were unlockables revealed after launch, that helps a lot your theory. But some of the unlockables of Brawl are already revealed... That could mean that they will be included in the default roster... or not. We cannot be 100%.

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
We all have to remember that if this roster is in fact up around the 50's, characters who were recently secret could be made starter status to make way for newer secrets. This in turn makes sense for Lucario, Toon Link, and Luigi to be starters this time around.

EDIT: And also Marth is on the cover of the 3DS version. He has to be a starter now, so if Marth is one, it isn't too farfetched that those other three are as well.

Last edited:

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Toon Link, Luigi, or Lucario are starters. I think patterns can be broken.
Sakurai does whatever he wants. That's why I said we cannot be 100% sure if they'll be available by default or if they're unlockables. Those characters could be hidden as before or not just because.

I'm thinking that maybe Zamus and Sheik could be hidden characters that one can unlock by finishing Classic Mode as Samus and Zelda. It's a possibility...

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
I wonder what hiddens we will get for Sm4sh?

doubt they are returning vets like M2 and Cpt falcon, people are expecting these guys.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Just so long as Mewtwo doesn't require you to beat classic on intense or anything. Though I imagine he will have a rather significant unlock requirement. Something like "play 500 matches" or "defeat the Kalos Pokemon League Event on Very Hard after unlocking all other pokemon characters"

Seriously though, there has to be a "defeat the league" event.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I wonder what hiddens we will get for Sm4sh?

doubt they are returning vets like M2 and Cpt falcon, people are expecting these guys.
I mean, cap has always been hidden regardless of the fact that we know he's in. If Mewtwo's in the game, I'm betting he's hidden as well. I mean, we already have 4 pokemon revealed.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I mean, cap has always been hidden regardless of the fact that we know he's in. If Mewtwo's in the game, I'm betting he's hidden as well. I mean, we already have 4 pokemon revealed.
Well, Falcon was a starter in Melee. And it's likely some of the currently revealed characters are unlockables.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well, Falcon was a starter in Melee. And it's likely some of the currently revealed characters are unlockables.
yeah, you have a good point. We don't know how they're gonna mix it up. I kinda assume Lucario is gonna be unlockable because of brawl, but we don't really know.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Going off knowledge of previous Smash games, normally the characters revealed before the Japanese launch are starters, Sonic and Snake were exceptions. Though I would also expect the unexpected. I personally believe that Mewtwo will be an unlockable character and so will Jigglypuff, assuming both characters return.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
I don't think all the characters revealed so far will be starters. I can't remember which thread I saw it in (It might have been this one) or where the article was from, but someone linked an interview/article where Sakurai basically said that he knows the internet spoils surprises for people. I think this time around, he wants to reveal the characters himself as much as possible. Where's the fun in just reading about a character's availability after the JP release? PotD and reveal trailers are way more exciting, and Sakurai knows that. That's my reasoning behind thinking that we won't have around 30 starters.

Edit: Here's a few posts talking about it, though none of them actually link the interview/article. I also may have been wrong. Hard to tell. But I still don't think we're going to have 30 starters.
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...no-gematsu-leak.353570/page-122#post-16954970

http://smashboards.com/threads/k-ro...ngplank-galleon.324259/page-262#post-16953840

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...no-gematsu-leak.353570/page-105#post-16924067

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...e-pirate-lounge.324284/page-903#post-16912466

Last edited:

Polo

Smash Cadet
We currently have no way of knowing for sure if the revealed characters are exclusively starters or not, but if it's true that they are, then it seems likely that we are getting another secret Pokemon rep besides Jigglypuff, to make it a total of 6 Pokemon reps. I mean, if we we're only getting 5 reps, that would mean 4/5 Pokemon characters are starters, with only Jigglypuff being secret (not to mention that she is usually the easiest unlockable character in each Smash game). In the past, at least half of the Pokemon reps have been secret in each game, so I would expect we will have at least two secret Pokemon in this game, presumably (read: hopefully) being Jigglypuff and Mewtwo. Why else would they go out of their way to change Lucario to a starter if they weren't going to be adding a new (or old) character to take his place as one of the secret reps?

Of course, the simple (and perhaps more likely) explanation is that Lucario is actually secret and Sakurai is doing things differently this time, but that doesn't allow me to make up crazy theories now does it? :p

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I've always assumed that some characters that have been revealed would have to be unlocked.. but the true secret characters, I would think they would be revealed just before, during, or right after the JP 3DS release.

PS, In regards to the leak from Gamefaqs, seems like it was removed. Couldn't find a reason why, maybe the mods just thought it was a troll. Fun while it lasted, but given how they only seem to introduce characters every other month, the odds of Falco being revealed this week were low anyway, they already revealed a bunch at E3. I do hope they switch things up and start revealing more characters soon because the JP release date is just two months away. 2 months guys! Let's see who reveals Mewtwo first. JP Smash players or Nintendo!

Last edited:

Polo

Smash Cadet
I don't think all the characters revealed so far will be starters. I can't remember which thread I saw it in (It might have been this one) or where the article was from, but someone linked an interview/article where Sakurai basically said that he knows the internet spoils surprises for people. I think this time around, he wants to reveal the characters himself as much as possible. Where's the fun in just reading about a character's availability after the JP release? PotD and reveal trailers are way more exciting, and Sakurai knows that. That's my reasoning behind thinking that we won't have around 30 starters.

Edit: Here's a few posts talking about it, though none of them actually link the interview/article. I also may have been wrong. Hard to tell. But I still don't think we're going to have 30 starters.
I found the article you were talking about. It's on Kotaku; the article is called "The Next Super Smash Bros. Won't Have a Story Mode or Cutscenes". (I don't have enough posts to post a link, sorry).

You make a very good point actually. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the currently revealed characters are secret.
The main reason why I always thought that the unlockable characters weren't going to be revealed before release is because the prime secret character suspects that have been secret in 2+ games (Captain Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff, Falco etc.) have gone suspiciously unrevealed for a long time, with Luigi only getting a pre-release reveal because it was the year of Luigi (as Sakurai addressed in the PotD revealing him). However, I just realised that Marth throws a spanner into my theory anyway :p

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Mewtwo has to be secret. It's tradition.

Now if only there was a Cerulean Cave stage to fight on.
That would be awesome, though I'd choose a redesign where the cave is either really huge or half open. On the other hand, I wouldn't wish for a Cerulean Cave stage mainly because.. boss characters.. *knocks on wood*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom