• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
No. This would be horrible. Jigglypuff has been in all three games so far, so she will stay. She is a staple of the series.
True. But you can't deny that Jigglypuff has lost her popularity dramatically the last years. The reason why she was included in the first Smash was probably because of her popularity as a side character in the Indigo League Anime. Pokemon is moving into a new era, with the inclusion of mega evolution, and it would only make sense to include characters that actually are relevant to their series.

Mewtwo might be the most popular legendary Pokemon of all time. Everyone know who he is. He functioned as a mascot for mega evolution, and almost for XY as well.

Sceptile represents one of the most popular regions in the Pokemon franchise. We have asked for Hoenn remakes for years, and we got them this year. He is also a grass-type starter which would complete the fire, water and grass trio. He would be the first ever Pokemon from generation 3 in Smash (Gen.3 and 5 has never been represented in Smash). Sceptile also received a HUGELY requested Mega Evolution, which, to the joy of the Pokemon community is the first ever Grass & Dragon Pokemon.

I get that Jigglypuff has been around since the first Smash-game, and that she is probably loved by many people. But I think her chances are slim compared to Sceptile and even worse compared to Mewtwo.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
I sincerely hope this game won't be tainted by DLC.

And RE Jigglypuff, as well as her reasonable popularity at the time of Smash64, wasn't another factor in her inclusion her physical similarity to Kirby? (Much in the same way as Luigi was/is to Mario?) I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that that meant they could build upon some of the coding they had already done for Kirby. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I sincerely hope this game won't be tainted by DLC.
I feel ya man, but it's probably going to happen anyways (although it's probably not going to be characters might be extra costumes for some characters), at least Nintendo does DLC the right way and doesn't screw over their fans, unlike it's rival competition.

Wait till the game is out for about a year, plus DLC would be kinda hard since the game is also on the 3DS.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Yeah she was similar to kirby your right KieRanaRan.

Jigglypuff has lost popularity a lot also Sceptile is featured pokemon an a more recent game(ORAS),Mega Evolution for Sceptile,Ash had a Sceptile and he never had a Jigglypuff.Jigglypuff's last anime apperance was in 2004(http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/AG039),while Sceptile appeared here(http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/DP174 and in the opening of Zoroarks movie.)
Alright sorry that was off topic...I just feel Sceptile>Jigglypuff right now.

Mewtwo as dlc,does the 3ds have dlc?I thought Fire Emblem Awakening had dlc or am I wrong?

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
47 or 51 is most likely at this point, so either way mewtwo has a good shot.
So we have thirty-three characters confirmed so far, right? Left unconfirmed are:
  • Ness
  • Capt. Falcon
  • Jigglypuff
  • Ice Climbers
  • Mewtwo
  • Mr. Game & Watch (most likely in)
  • Falco
  • Ganondorf
  • Lucas
  • Meta Knight
  • Wario
  • R.O.B.
  • Wolf
If these characters get in, the roster goes to 46 and assuming Gematsu's newcomer leaks are true and we get Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Men, we get a 49 and with a random slot brings us to 50.

At this point I feel like this is the most reasonable amount and fine by me (though the only thing I'm iffy about is Lucas). Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link, and Roy's chances are second to none so I excluded them.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to have a roster of 50, but Sakurai talked about the 3DS hindering a big roster (if I remember correctly).
There is a lot of people that say the first 12 from Smash64 MUST be in, but remember that Sakurai was going to
replace Ness for Lucas in Melee and just because of the delay of Mother 3 that didn't happen. So, he can change things as he wants.

Personally, I'd prefer that both Pokemon (Jiggs and Mewtwo) gets in. Jiggs got an unique style and Sakurai loves that. Mewtwo is highly popular and wasn't included in Brawl because of time restraints. I'm sure if Mewtwo is included will be revamped. BUT, as I said, he will do what he wants so he could include one or both or none of those pokemon.

BTW, I think that Sceptile and any other pokemon are disconfirmed... In the round table for the press Sakuraid said that they had space in the roster for 1 new pokemon and we got Greninja.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Brawl - Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas = 35 + Mewtwo = 36 + Gematsu = 48 characters.

Absolutely perfect.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Am I the only one in these boards that believes that the Gematsu leak is rubbish?

Even if it's real, I doubt those will be the only newcomers there'll be.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Am I the only one in these boards that believes that the Gematsu leak is rubbish?

I'll set my expectations a bit low.

And even then there's no reason not to believe it.
He's been pretty much spot on thus far, missing only Rosalina (who was left out mainly because it was an E3 "prediction").
Plus there's a RH enemy in Smash Run, and at this point the only thing people are really doubting about the leak is the addition of Chorus Men. Chrom and Shulk were pretty popular beforehand.

Unless there's some "I don't want it" bias in there, which is pretty common.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'll set my expectations a bit low.

And even then there's no reason not to believe it.
He's been pretty much spot on thus far, missing only Rosalina (who was left out mainly because it was an E3 "prediction").
Plus there's a RH enemy in Smash Run, and at this point the only thing people are really doubting about the leak is the addition of Chorus Men. Chrom and Shulk were pretty popular beforehand.

Unless there's some "I don't want it" bias in there, which is pretty common.
Eh. I call it being lucky.

While the first one may have been a legit leak, I find the next one being just a list of "obvious" choices based on recency (sans Chorus Men, which were likely included to make the leak more interesting). I mean, why else did it predicted "Pokemon from X/Y" and not "Greninja"?

Back to Mewtwo, though, I feel he's still a lock.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman

Choir Boys. That's the only thing that will make me believe that Gematsu leak is real. WFT is an incredible lucky guess (if guessed) and Villager to a lesser extend (lot of people including me discarted him beacuse of Sakurai's declarations in Brawl times). Other guesses aren't as difficult IMO. Gematsu's leaker could be a guy/girl that should buy lottery often. But time will tell.

I'm dying to see a legit leak about veterans showing Mewtwo...

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Brawl - Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas = 35 + Mewtwo = 36 + Gematsu = 48 characters.

Absolutely perfect.
Unfortunately one slot going to be reserved for the random icon, as proven by Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U demo.

I'd prefer to have more than 4 cuts than keeping Mewtwo out because there is certain character I don't want more than Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Unfortunately one slot going to be reserved for the random icon, as proven by Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U demo.

I'd prefer to have more than 4 cuts than keeping Mewtwo out because there is certain character I don't want more than Mewtwo.
The demo is subject to change.

Everyone should know that.

And if that's a problem then add K. Rool for good measure.

50 slots.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
But it's been confirmed that Mii Fighters won't be on the select screen.
Is that so? Might you have a source at hand? I didn't think the Mii Fighters would get three actual slots on the CSS; they would either have a single shared slot, or some special icon off to the side. So it would be nice to confirm my suspicions.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Is that so? Might you have a source at hand? I didn't think the Mii Fighters would get three actual slots on the CSS; they would either have a single shared slot, or some special icon off to the side. So it would be nice to confirm my suspicions.
Confirmed? How?
One of the Treehouse guys said that Mii Fighters would get a "special slot all to themselves". I guess it's not confirmed, but it makes me think that they'll be separate from the select screen, especially because they won't be playable in "With Anyone" mode.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
One of the Treehouse guys said that Mii Fighters would get a "special slot all to themselves". I guess it's not confirmed, but it makes me think that they'll be separate from the select screen, especially because they won't be playable in "With Anyone" mode.
Ah, good point. And "special slot" does imply something other than a regular character lost.

More room for Mewtwo, then. 8D

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well! Thanks to magical powers of Photoshop, I think I found out the roster size! ... Maybe.

So! Here's the roster of the demo:

It has a total of 20 characters + a random slot. Pretty solid for a demo.

Now, lets add some slots to make that a perfect rectangle.

This gives us a whooping 23 slots. There's still some space to the sides, though. Lets cover them!

... Could only add 3 more. So here's a 27 big roster. Seeing that we have 34 characters revealed, there's clearly something wrong here. Let's do the same as Brawl and shrink those slots!

Now we're at 48 slots... huh. It seems whoever did that estimation was somewhat right. But, assuming the Brawl crew comes back with the lowest amount of cuts possible (two, Ivysaur and Squirtle) at 37, plus the 9 newcomers shown, there'd be only a single space left in the roster (Mewtwo?)... which, unless it means there have been a boatload of cuts, means that the roster is pretty much underwhelming. So many popular characters are being left out.

However, let's get a little crazy here. So, we had 64's roster, which had 2 rows; then Melee, with 3; and then Brawl, with 4. Let's say this game does add one extra row to it's roster. That'd bring the roster size to...

... an outstanding 60 slots! That is quite a large amount of smashers, would't you say? Though, 59 is a bit of a weird number. Plus, this roster isn't as wide as the demo roster. Let's expand it a little bit more one more time.

Here's the best possible roster. 65 slots - 64 players and a random slot! Not only would this size be the ultimate fanservice Sakurai could deliver, but the amount of characters is 64; a perfect throwback to the original game!

Now, I don't mean to hype you up, nor do I want to dissapoint you; I just did this for fun. Though it gives me a really cool idea of what the roster would be like.

Brainstorming here.
*whistles casually*

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Sadly I don't think that we'll be getting 64 slots.

But at least it shows that it doesn't have to be 47 like everyone says.

Still counting on the layout changing a bit before release.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
In regards to the number of slots on the roster, I'm not an expert on the matter. However, since we know for a fact that the roster slots will move and change size, I find it very hard to believe that we can actually deduce the exact number of characters from an incomplete roster screen. The slots will move about, change size, and reorganize themselves, but we don't how much they change. So I hold the belief that we simply cannot know how big or small the final roster is based on the demo rosters we've seen thus far.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
*whistles casually*
But you didn't used the HD pic compared to mine. I can tell that the characters' names are only little bit blurried out rather than very blurry enough to look like they needed to be scaled down more like you did to get 60 slots.

60 characters roster will be kind of kewl though.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
But you didn't used the HD pic compared to mine. I can tell that the characters' names are only little bit blurried out rather than very blurry enough to look like they needed to be scaled down more like you did to get 60 slots.

60 characters roster will be kind of kewl though.

It looks fine to me.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
I picture it like Pokemon Trainer's slot. You choose the character and after that you can choose which Mii Fighter you are going to play as (similar like you can choose which pokemon to begin with). In "anyone" maybe the character slot is closed or you can't place your player icon on it.

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
In other words, if they were blurrier then they'll require more down size ro achieve 1:1 origianl size and there can end up more room for 60~ slots.

EDIT:
I see what you mean, but that really doesnt make any logical stand point...its just a random assumpiton...how do you know their current for isnt 1:1 and scaling down is just a random factor...this is really kindof an out there assumption IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom