• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd probably find it amusing if a third Mewtwo was made, and its voice was based on DBZ's Trunks. It could become Mega Mewtwo X, and deliver swift justice to those who try to harm other Pokemon.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Noticed how the villians from Melee got a new side special in Brawl? It might happen to Mewtwo too in Smash 4.
As long as he makes the same sound I'm fine with it. Always thought he spoke german and let out a big "Nein!" I do think a new Down-B is of higher priority though, since that's the worst of his specials.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
As long as he makes the same sound I'm fine with it. Always thought he spoke german and let out a big "Nein!" I do think a new Down-B is of higher priority though, since that's the worst of his specials.
I may be alone on this one, but I love Mewtwo's down special.
It's so satisfying to paralyze your opponent and land a finishing down smash on 'em.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's so satisfying to paralyze your opponent and land a finishing down smash on 'em.
Disable is still quite useless if players can just shield themselves from the attack. Plus, it can even backfire on Mewtwo if the attack gets perfect shielded.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm hoping that Mewtwo gets revealed in tomorrow's Direct - I figure that, if they reveal a veteran, it would be one who would get a trailer, which likely means either Mewtwo or Snake, and I'd be fine with either one of them. I could be wrong, but none of the other Melee cuts seem likely to return, and the only other veteran revealed in a Direct was Luigi, which was done so that he'd be announced during the Year of Luigi.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, I'd be fine with Disable staying given that it gets the necessary tweak/buff. Had some good satisfying times winning with that move as well, hard as it can be to pull off right. Confusion on the other hand can go since it didn't even properly reflect projectiles at the opponent, and there's plenty better telekinetic options Mewtwo could have as a side special.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm hoping that Mewtwo gets revealed in tomorrow's Direct - I figure that, if they reveal a veteran, it would be one who would get a trailer, which likely means either Mewtwo or Snake, and I'd be fine with either one of them. I could be wrong, but none of the other Melee cuts seem likely to return, and the only other veteran revealed in a Direct was Luigi, which was done so that he'd be announced during the Year of Luigi.
As long as Ridley does not get shown (yet) (E3 is the other one) the chance of mewtwo being shown at tomorrow's direct is enormous)

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I find disable to be an unique move. Have we got another special that paralyzes an opponent...besides shield breaker?
Yeah, I'd be fine with Disable staying given that it gets the necessary tweak/buff. Had some good satisfying times winning with that move as well, hard as it can be to pull off right. Confusion on the other hand can go since it didn't even properly reflect projectiles at the opponent, and there's plenty better telekinetic options Mewtwo could have as a side special.
I've been defending disable for pages and pages now. As a move it just screams "Psychic Mastermind" and is in fact my favorite special in the game.

I say make Disable reflect projectiles, and give Mewtwo a new side-b.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
While it would be amazing if Mewtwo shows up in tomorrows feed, it will probably be a newcomer. Directs usually. if not always, had a newcomer.

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
While it would be amazing if Mewtwo shows up in tomorrows feed, it will probably be a newcomer. Directs usually. if not always, had a newcomer.
Mewtwo already has been in SSB as a playable character, but he might get some video with his reveal considering he skipped brawl and might Return.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Sonic and Luigi were both revealed through Directs. While Luigi's reveal was to make it so he'd actually be revealed during the Year of Luigi as opposed to after the game was released, Sonic's reveal was to hype up the return of the character - Mewtwo could be revealed for similar reasons, given the strong reaction to his removal in Brawl.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Alas, nothing for today, but Pokemon has now hit four reps.

Assuming Jigglypuff is coming back, will Mewtwo still have a chance to return or no?

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Look like Smash Direct did hurt Mewtwo's chance for two reasons:
-Lucario got Mega Evolution, that'd counter Mewtwo's Mega Evolutions. This prolly what Sakurai meant for "We are thinking about it" in Pokemon interview for Mega Mewtwo and Smash Bros. series, he's actually considering Mega Evolution gimmick itself.
-Greninja as playable Pokemon.

I almost freaked out when I thought I just saw Mewtwo with that familiar body and that 'dafuq blue sphere' (No way I'd believe Mewtwo would copy Lucario's aura property) but that mysterious Pokemon revealed to be Greninja and his water move.

Well good thing I ain't even worried about Mewtwo, so nothing's lost for me.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I don't think it hurt Mewtwo at all. It might have just helped him by bringing the total number playable Pokemon reps down from the last game.
Pikachu
Lucario
Charizard
Greninja
(Very possibly Jiggs)

versus

Pikachu
Lucario
Charizard
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Jigglypuff.

WE ARE SMALLER THAN WE WERE LAST GAME!

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
Sakurai you troll. Making Greninja look like Mewtwo in that trailer with the similar tongue "tail", hips, and fingers. Nearly gave me a heart attack. I still have hope for Mewtwo, but he is looking less likely with Greninja in the game. Jiggs will likely be back. Would pokemon having six reps be too much for one series? It certainly makes Nintendo enough money so I could see it happening, but non-pokemon fans may get annoyed with a giant pokemon representation.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'm.... so scared for Mewtwo now.

Like I don't know if I can handle him not being in after so much build up for it.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Sakurai you troll. Making Greninja look like Mewtwo in that trailer with the similar tongue "tail", hips, and fingers. Nearly gave me a heart attack. I still have hope for Mewtwo, but he is looking less likely with Greninja in the game. Jiggs will likely be back. Would pokemon having six reps be too much for one series? It certainly makes Nintendo enough money so I could see it happening, but non-pokemon fans may get annoyed with a giant pokemon representation.
He exclude ivysaur and squirtle it's still only 4 poke reps so far so that could be a loop hole of making it the same amount as brawl jigglypuff and mewtwo added would make it the same amount as brawl

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Let me go over what this Direct means for Mewtwo. It is disheartening, but not completely damning.

-Transformative characters split
Mewtwo will not feature transforming between his Mega Evolutions as a special move

-Masterballs
PANIC

-Greninja
As Mewtwo was the obvious choice for a high-profile Pokemon reveal, this can easily be viewed as a strike against he chances. However, that is not completely the case. Mewtwo, being a legendary, is best suited to hidden fighter status, not to be found until after the game's release. It is not unreasonable for Pokemon to be given a newcomer that will be shown up front, and Greninja has clearly taken that spot. Furthermore, as Tyrannotaur pointed out, Greninja's reveal seemed to suspiciously play on the Mewtwo hype. Is this acknowledgement simply Sakurai using his special brand of humor to snub Mewtwo, or is he practically confirming him?

-Solo Charizard
Alright, let's just start out with me saying I CALLED THIS SO HARD.

Just to give all of you a heads-up, Pokemon Trainer as we know him may be cut in favor of Charizard returning as an independent fighter.

It was within the realm of possibility before the Mega Evolution reveals, and it is even more so now.
Anyway, Charizard's solo appearance means that Ivysaur and Squirtle (or their evolutions) will, regrettably, likely not be returning. This frees up space and development time, as SmashShadow pointed out, because although Brawl only had 4 Pokemon slots, it technically had 6 pokemon reps. Each of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon counted as a full character in terms of development. This means that, assuming Jigglypuff is in, Mewtwo could be a 6th rep for SSB4. Lastly, I highly doubt Jigglypuff would stand as Pokemon's only hidden fighter.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I think people thinking Greninja was Mewtwo was due to expectations of him being revealed. For all we know, Sakurai didn't intend to trick us at first by making us think it was Mewtwo.

While I thought the Masterball could be cause for panic, there's already so many legendaries out there to possibly come out of it that I don't think it diminishes his chances. However, seeing Darkrai in the Greninja video means Darkrai might be coming out of the Masterball. Mewtwo not appearing means there's still a chance for him being playable.

schavira

Smash Journeyman
I think they are going to up the three biggest franchises to 6 characters each:

Mario - Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina, Bowser and either Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario (Daisy if we get lucky)
Zelda - Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link and either Ghirahim, Tetra, or something completely unexpected (Tingle, Vaati, etc.)
Pokémon - Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja

It would be odd for the second franchise in line, Zelda, not to have a newcomer, so this makes sense

Last edited:

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it hurt Mewtwo at all. It might have just helped him by bringing the total number playable Pokemon reps down from the last game.
Pikachu
Lucario
Charizard
Greninja
(Very possibly Jiggs)

versus

Pikachu
Lucario
Charizard
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Jigglypuff.

WE ARE SMALLER THAN WE WERE LAST GAME!
Exactly. another reason mewtwo still has a chance.

Shroob

Sup?
Pretty sure both Mewtwo AND Jiggs can co-exist peacefully in this game. If Squirtle and Ivysaur are cut, we're 2 down on the Brawl rep at the moment with only 4 characters. Pokemon has always had, or has always been tied for the most reps in the series.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
I'm not scared for Mewtwo. The confirmation as Charizard as a stand alone character with Mega Charizard X as a Final Smash, as well as the confirmation of Greninja (probably the most popular Kalos pokemon), leads me to believe Sakurai is taking advice from The Pokemon Company and GameFreak to make the most popular pokemon playable.

Not even Charizard can outshine Mewtwo in terms of popularity. Fear not. Perhaps Jigglypuff got the axe, or perhaps there will be 6 Pokemon reps.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
HEY, GUYS, I'VE JUST NOTICED SOMETHING.
Lucario is part Fighting-type.
Greninja is part Dark-type.
It would only make sense to add a Psychic-type.

Shroob

Sup?
HEY, GUYS, I'VE JUST NOTICED SOMETHING.
Lucario is part Fighting-type.
Greninja is part Dark-type.
It would only make sense to add a Psychic-type.
That logic is a bit flawed.

Greninja is part water.
Charizard is part fire.
It would only make sense to add a....Grass type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom