• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Just looked up how Bartlett died since I was unaware of the cause before, and wow. That makes me even more sad, and it was back in 2001 too, just a couple years after he had voiced Mewtwo, when Melee was new...

R.I.P.

I didn't even know he had died until someone mentioned it in this thread quite awhile back. That awkward moment when you didn't realize an actor/VA from your childhood had passed until years and years later.

D

Deleted member

Even more sad is that it was the only notable role he had.

The guy had potential and was taken away before he had a chance to really make his name.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I can think of probably like a couple other actors or VAs that died with a similar career, in having only one notable role, but yeah. It does make it all the more sad.

D

Deleted member

Well no ****.
This is a different Mewtwo. Specifically, a female one. Why WOULD she be given a male voice in the dub?

Steelia

Smash Champion
It. Why would it.

Seriously it's a ****ing voice. That doesn't make it either gender.
Easier to identify. I mean, I enjoyed seeing Mewtwo in action. It was so cool, especially at the beginning of the movie, speeding through the sky so quickly after causing a big explosion. And shedding its armor. Also, Mewtwo from the Genesect movie was cool too, it flew around so quickly.

"Male" Mewtwo is from first, "Female" Mewtwo is from Genesect. While genderless in the games, they have more distinct masculine/feminine traits in the anime. Had Mewtwo in the Genesect movie been the same from the 1st movie, this would be very different...

D

Deleted member

It. Why would it.

Seriously it's a ****ing voice. That doesn't make it either gender.
Genderless in the games =/= genderless in the anime.
We've had cases where Pokémon such as Lugia give offspring and being a mother despite being completely unable within the games due to being both Legendary and Genderless.

And then again, "genderless" isn't the same thing as "no gender". It means "no identifiable gender".
Old Mewtwo is referred to as male within the anime regardless of the species having no identifiable gender, there is really no reason not to refer to New Mewtwo as female other than it not directly being referred to as such yet.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ironically I was doing some of that with Mewtwo in Pokemon-Amie when I was taking a short break from super training. Heh...

Anyway, I kinda became convinced a long time ago that even legendaries have genders and are able to produce offspring too (the Lugia example in the anime Golden mentioned supports this). It's only not so in the games so you won't be able to breed/mass-produce an army of legends, so they won't lose their rarity and all.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It's only not so in the games so you won't be able to breed/mass-produce an army of legends, so they won't lose their rarity and all.

That's not it at all. Latios/Latias/Cresselia/Heatran all have set genders and still can't breed, while Manaphy is genderless and can still breed. Additionally I thought it went without saying that the anime/manga aren't canon to the games. Lest we get AIM FOR THE HORN logic and every legendary is no longer legendary, Pikachu is the strongest Pokemon in existence, and for some reason evil teams get off with slap-on-the-wrist warnings, whereas opposed to in the games they get treated as war criminals and get processed in some apparent legal system.

If Nintendo/Gamefreak says genderless, then it's genderless. Not that pronouns for fictitious monsters matters in the long run, anyway.

On a much lighter note, d'aww Mewtwo loves having its little stubby paws/fingers rubbed.

D

Deleted member

Doesn't matter if the anime isn't canon to games if the subject in question is in regards to the anime, now does it?
So...what's the problem with referring to New Mewtwo as a female again?

D

Deleted member

Sorry, but the games are not canon to the anime. Lest we get HOT SKITTY ON WAILORD ACTION logic, a measly rat can wipe out the "God" of Pokémon that's 99 levels above it, somehow you can stop a natural growth of a creature by pressing a button, and kids can singlehandedly somehow wipe out entire crime syndicates whereas opposed to in the anime where it takes a whole group of them just to cause temporary setbacks.

If Yuyuma says the second Mewtwo is female, then she is female. :troll:

(In other words, don't get worked up over an anime-exclusive subject when it's used in the context of the anime.)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That's not it at all. Latios/Latias/Cresselia/Heatran all have set genders and still can't breed, while Manaphy is genderless and can still breed. Additionally I thought it went without saying that the anime/manga aren't canon to the games. Lest we get AIM FOR THE HORN logic and every legendary is no longer legendary, Pikachu is the strongest Pokemon in existence, and for some reason evil teams get off with slap-on-the-wrist warnings, whereas opposed to in the games they get treated as war criminals and get processed in some apparent legal system.

If Nintendo/Gamefreak says genderless, then it's genderless. Not that pronouns for fictitious monsters matters in the long run, anyway.

On a much lighter note, d'aww Mewtwo loves having its little stubby paws/fingers rubbed.
Latios and Latias I figured were only given listed genders in-game as a way to differentiate the two/avoid confusion with how similar they are. Otherwise they probably would've been listed as genderless too along with the other legends. Cresselia and Heatran I forgot about having genders though (tend to forget a lot of things about gen 4 in general with it being my least liked of the gens), so I guess you got me there. If most of all these legendaries are indeed without gender though and not just so as to prevent the player from breeding legends like a common Pokemon, then it kinda begs the question as to why only a select few of them (Latios/Latias, Cresselia, Heatran) have listed genders and not the rest. Then again, perhaps it's best not to question GameFreak logic when it comes to somethin like that.

Doesn't matter if the anime isn't canon to games if the subject in question is in regards to the anime, now does it?
Also, this.

If you really believed I thought or was implying that the anime follows the same continuity as the games IsmaR, then I'm kind of insulted. >: Thought you knew me better than that. :D

MORE ON TOPIC

You would think that at least for X version they would have Mewtwo learn some physical fighting type moves when leveling up to complement its mega X form. As it is though, you can only teach him/herit such moves through TMs.

Not counting Aura Sphere obviously, as its a special move and not a physical one, though I guess it would still do well in a mixed sweep moveset for Xtwo depending on what its nature is. I went for adamant or jolly though and ended up getting jolly the first time I caught it, so eh... Yeah.

Brick Break and Poison Jab seem to be a couple good TM moves for Xtwo. Wonder what else I should have for mine in the long run...

Steelia

Smash Champion
You would think that at least for X version they would have Mewtwo learn some physical fighting type moves when leveling up to complement its mega X form. As it is though, you can only teach him/herit such moves through TMs.

Not counting Aura Sphere obviously, as its a special move and not a physical one, though I guess it would still do well in a mixed sweep moveset for Xtwo depending on what its nature is. I went for adamant or jolly though and ended up getting jolly the first time I caught it, so eh... Yeah.

Brick Break and Poison Jab seem to be a couple good TM moves for Xtwo. Wonder what else I should have for mine in the long run...
We'll more than likely have a swarm of tutors in the inevitable "Pokemon Z" or "X2/Y2" or whatever remakes. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to buy X, as they now usually leave things incomplete in the games to introduce in future ones (hated that in Black/White), but I'm glad I went through and got a copy anyway. Very fun game.

MewtwoX could really use the elemental punches. But if you really~want to abuse his high attack power, then just transfer a Mewtwo from HGSS or FRLG with move tutor'd attacks in December. I'm half-tempted to restart my FireRed just to get a new Mewtwo and teach him Self-Destruct from Colosseum :p

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It stinks knowing that if you don't get the X or Y version now, the Blazikenite will be beyond your reach forever.

Anyway, it seems Mega Mewtwo X's Fighting-type movepool is lackluster, so that kind of messes up my Smash 4 Mewtwo inputs to some extent. But I guess in the end, only Mega Mewtwo Y is more likely to be used.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Just looked up how Bartlett died since I was unaware of the cause before, and wow. That makes me even more sad, and it was back in 2001 too, just a couple years after he had voiced Mewtwo, when Melee was new...

R.I.P.

I didn't even know he had died until someone mentioned it in this thread quite awhile back. That awkward moment when you didn't realize an actor/VA from your childhood had passed until years and years later.
Kinda reminds me when people ask for meowths original VA to return to the anime.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
We'll more than likely have a swarm of tutors in the inevitable "Pokemon Z" or "X2/Y2" or whatever remakes. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to buy X, as they now usually leave things incomplete in the games to introduce in future ones (hated that in Black/White), but I'm glad I went through and got a copy anyway. Very fun game.

MewtwoX could really use the elemental punches. But if you really~want to abuse his high attack power, then just transfer a Mewtwo from HGSS or FRLG with move tutor'd attacks in December. I'm half-tempted to restart my FireRed just to get a new Mewtwo and teach him Self-Destruct from Colosseum :p
Yeah, I hate when they save that kind of stuff for the "sequels", whether it ends up being a Pokemon Z or X2/Y2 in this case, but I guess they have to have something else worthwhile for those kind of versions.

Yep, Xtwo certainly could've used those punches. As for transferring Mewtwos from those earlier versions, heh. Would have to restart one of those games as well needless to say, for a different nature. All my previous Mewtwos had either a modest or timid nature, as those were the only ones really worth going for for Mewtwo at the time, back when you had to rely on Calm Mind more in competitive movesets. I guess it would be HG if I were to restart one of my games since I have no idea where some of me earlier GBA titles are like FR at the moment.

If I were to do that though it would just be a long-term goal after doing everything else I was gonna do, but gives me something to think about at the very least... Nonetheless, will gladly still make due with what moves I can teach the Mewtwo I caught in my X version, which is still an alright selection as far as the TMs go.

Self-Destruct? Definitely not a practical thing to teach to a Mewtwo, but I guess I'll give you points in unpredictableness, if you actually go through with that.

It stinks knowing that if you don't get the X or Y version now, the Blazikenite will be beyond your reach forever.

Anyway, it seems Mega Mewtwo X's Fighting-type movepool is lackluster, so that kind of messes up my Smash 4 Mewtwo inputs to some extent.
Don't really care for getting that fire chicken since I have enough of the fire starters again now as it is.

Disappointingly, yeah. It seems it's pretty much just Brick Break, Low Sweep, Focus Blast, Power-Up Punch, along with a couple others not even worth mentioning. Thankfully, there's still plenty physical-based moves in general you can teach Mewtwo via TMs, even if they're not fighting type. Poison Jab wrecks those pesky fairy types, for instance.

Maybe something out of the ordinary for Mewtwo like Rock Slide, Earthquake, or Aerial Ace will do wonders for the X form as well.

But I guess in the end, only Mega Mewtwo Y is more likely to be used.
Based off the movie appearance, or something else?

Kinda reminds me when people ask for meowths original VA to return to the anime.
Do I even want to know if something happened to Meowth's original VA or whether or not they're still around?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Maddie Blaustein?

Yeah, she dead.
R.I.P.
Damn. Do I even want to know how she died, or was it of natural causes?

p.s. After seeing the attack animation for Psystrike in X/Y, I kinda want that as a final smash even more for Mewtwo again than I did before. Would be more fair at least than say only the Y form getting treatment/attention as such. The attack in X/Y looks like Mewtwo materializes a bunch of shards or something, then telekinetically aims them all at the opponent (I guess in concept you could compare it to Piccolo's hellzone grenade attack or something of that nature). As a final smash Mewtwo would materialize a lot more of those shard looking things with Psystrike and make them telekinetically home in on the targets, to anyone that's in a close enough range at least (its range being half the screen or so). Does massive damage along with maybe an added effect of your imagination.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Damn. Do I even want to know how she died, or was it of natural causes?

p.s. After seeing the attack animation for Psystrike in X/Y, I kinda want that as a final smash even more for Mewtwo again than I did before. Would be more fair at least than say only the Y form getting treatment/attention as such. The attack in X/Y looks like Mewtwo materializes a bunch of shards or something, then telekinetically aims them all at the opponent (I guess in concept you could compare it to Piccolo's hellzone grenade attack or something of that nature). As a final smash Mewtwo would materialize a lot more of those shard looking things with Psystrike and make them telekinetically home in on the targets, to anyone that's in a close enough range at least (its range being half the screen or so). Does massive damage along with maybe an added effect of your imagination.
Maddie died of severe illness in her sleep. It's a shame she was a great comic book writer, and and a great voice actress.

And yes I like the new Psystrike animation.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I got Pokémon X, I had a slow start, I'm hoping I can beat the game and get Mewthree X sometime before Link Between Two Worlds comes out, I'm currently at 4 badges with a team of Delphox, Gardevoir, Lucario, Charizard, Lapras and Tyrantum, I can't wait to get the Lucky Egg so grinding becomes faster.

I still have yet to start Y so I won't see Mewthree Y for a very long time.

Zigzagar

Smash Journeyman
Revamped Moveset
Up B: Zen Headbutt
Side B: Psyshock
Down B: Earthquake
Final Smash: Psystrike (Aesthetically can turn into 1 of to mega forms)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Um, Mewtwo can't/doesn't learn Zen Headbutt, surprisingly. There's Psycho Cut as a substitute for that though, which is a cooler looking attack anyway.

Psyshock is just a slightly weaker version of the Psychic attack, but if Mewtwo already had Psychic with some of his throws, I could settle with Psyshock being a side B move.

Earthquake? That would be... random. Would be more fitting if it was on the mega X form, whose inclusion is questionable/doubtful.

On that note, I wish not every in-game attack animation with Xtwo involved it using its feet. Some moves like Psycho Cut should've involved it using its hands at least, which Psycho Cut would be an extension of, naturally.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
*looks again*

Huh, I guess so. That'll be something about of my reach as far as teaching Mewtwo for awhile though...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, I wasn´t there and it´s better discussion material than Mewtwo´s "gender".

Also, seeing the stats of both Mega Evolutions, I think I prefer Mewtwo Y.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'm liking X more than I thought I would. Noodle/stretchy limbs just sold it to me. Plus Psycho Cut is done with a kicking animation.
Yeah, I hear ya. The stretchy limbs actually grew on me more than I thought they would, and I like too how most attacks with it seem to be done with that kicking animation. There are at least like a couple physical moves I thought would've been more badass if Mewtwo had still done with its hands however, like Psycho Cut where an arm is extended for the attack. It's cool enough as it is still, don't get me wrong, but personal preference and all that.

And damn, if you look at the way Mewtwo fires Aura Sphere in its normal form, and then the way it fires it in its X form (with one hand), the attack just becomes that much more badass looking, even though I already replaced the move at some point since it wasn't somethin that would go along well with my Mewtwo's nature.

Xtwo for life!... Even if the Y form has a little higher base speed by a very miniscule amount. The only stat difference between the two megaforms I could not make sense of.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think Low Sweep somewhat makes up for the speed loss (against things like Mega Alakazam/Aerodactyl, too). Not much of a power difference from Brick Break, and has more PP. Until there's Fighting STAB worth using besides Aura Sphere, I'll settle with it.

My favorite "hand wave" move is definitely Stone Edge.
Admittedly I wanted to go with Rock Slide because being fast + flinch hax, and the obvious Freeza reference. I do kinda think it's weird he does it for Recover, as well, but Psycho Kick is awesome, IMO.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Huh, kinda forgot about Low Sweep causing speed loss for the target. Now I'm debating whether to actually replace Brick Break for that on Mewtwo. Would probably miss being able to break opponents' Reflects and Light Screens though...

Don't think I've seen Xtwo's animation for Stone Edge, but I'll take your word on how cool it looks. And yeah, if I were to ever give Mewtwo Rock Slide, it would be for that reason and reference alone. xD

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Is Mega Mewtwo the strongest Mega Evolved Pokémon now or not?

Also: :mewtwopm:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Which Mega Evolution? Either way, he is the strongest if you are only counting total base stats. With being the most useful, it's debatable.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Regardless of how useful, being "Where's your God now?" tier & regaining its throne in total base stats, I can settle with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom