• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I come out of lurking to inform that Big N will be abolishing Club Nintendo for it to be replaced with some new loyalty program at a later date...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/nintendo-close-club-nintendo-stars-catalogue-ahead-new-programme-1484210

Sounds pretty dumb in a lot of aspects (as well as short noticed), but main concern of course is how it'll affect our ability to get Mewtwo (for those who registered both versions of SSB4), if CN's discontinuation will affect it at all.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I come out of lurking to inform that Big N will be abolishing Club Nintendo for it to be replaced with some new loyalty program at a later date...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/nintendo-close-club-nintendo-stars-catalogue-ahead-new-programme-1484210

Sounds pretty dumb in a lot of aspects (as well as short noticed), but main concern of course is how it'll affect our ability to get Mewtwo (for those who registered both versions of SSB4), if CN's discontinuation will affect it at all.
The registration deadline for Mewtwo is the end of March, around the same time you can't add more codes anyways. It won't affect anything relating to Mewtwo.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
They wouldn't give the middle finger salute to everyone who registered both games with how big a deal Mewtwo is. Be a PR disaster that would put the Xbox One reveal to shame.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I suppose.. Unless we were to get "April fools! No Mewtwo!".

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Also, I was kinda serious. Does any :lucas: fan want to start a DLC petition with me?
Sure, I'll help out any way I can. While I didn't main Lucas, I did somewhat prefer him to Ness, whom I use semi-frequently in SSB4, so his absence is pretty noticeable to me. When do we start?

Spirst

Petitions are pretty iffy. I don't think I've seen online petitions ever really work but of course there's no harm done in trying.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master

Does this affect Club Nintendo NA? I wouldn't mind a new system for that.

Spirst

Does this affect Club Nintendo NA? I wouldn't mind a new system for that.
Yep, it's a worldwide closure.

Club Nintendo's discontinuation shouldn't affect Mewtwo considering that the date it'll be closed on is September 30th, 2015. Mewtwo needs to be registered by March 31st and will probably be released sometime in April. Here's the schedule:

• April 1st 2015: From this date, Nintendo will no longer include product registration cards with its packaged games, so such products cannot be registered in Club Nintendo. You may still find product registration cards in games that were in stock before this date, however.
  • April 20th 2015: Termination of the registration of digital products downloaded from Nintendo eShop. Digital products obtained from Nintendo eShop after this date will no longer appear in the My Registered Games & Systems page in Club Nintendo. In addition, surveys for download software titles will no longer be available.
  • September 30th 2015: End of Club Nintendo programme. All Club Nintendo features, such as signing up as a new member, logging in as a registered member, earning Stars, and exchanging Stars for items from the Stars Catalogue will no longer be possible from this date.
Mewtwo should be fine but will probably be one of the last big Club Nintendo uses.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
OK guys, so I have this absolutely crazy idea, and it probably won't happen, but it might, so just listen.
Do you guys remember when Sakurai said Smash 3DS would release in Summer 2014? You know how it didn't? Well, it did. Smash 3DS released in Summer in Japan. So, just thinking out loud here, what if Mewtwo is coming in February? Spring in Japan starts February 5th, so, since Sakurai was accurate about Japan, but not most of the world, what if he meant Spring in Japan for Mewtwo? That would mean Mewtwo could possibly release next month. Yeah, I know you have to have your codes redeemed by March 3st, but it never says Mewtwo will release after March 3st. You only have to have your codes redeemed by then to get your download codes. So, Mewtwo could release in February, and you'd still have time to redeem your codes after he's released. Oh, and the codes are available Spring 2015, according to Club Nintendo, not March. Apex is also rumored to have a big surprise in store for us this year, and Mewtwo would definently fit the bill.
Finally, you know how Sakurai revealed some characters on relevant important dates? Well, Mewtwo's official birthday is February 6th, and Japan's Spring starts February 5th. Just saying...

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
Sure, I'll help out any way I can. While I didn't main Lucas, I did somewhat prefer him to Ness, whom I use semi-frequently in SSB4, so his absence is pretty noticeable to me. When do we start?
unfortunately, I don't think it would be any effects... but, count me in!
OK... We can start as soon as you guys want. Who wants to publish/manage the page?

M24S4

Smash Cadet
OK guys, so I have this absolutely crazy idea, and it probably won't happen, but it might, so just listen.
Do you guys remember when Sakurai said Smash 3DS would release in Summer 2014? You know how it didn't? Well, it did. Smash 3DS released in Summer in Japan. So, just thinking out loud here, what if Mewtwo is coming in February? Spring in Japan starts February 5th, so, since Sakurai was accurate about Japan, but not most of the world, what if he meant Spring in Japan for Mewtwo? That would mean Mewtwo could possibly release next month. Yeah, I know you have to have your codes redeemed by March 3st, but it never says Mewtwo will release after March 3st. You only have to have your codes redeemed by then to get your download codes. So, Mewtwo could release in February, and you'd still have time to redeem your codes after he's released. Oh, and the codes are available Spring 2015, according to Club Nintendo, not March. Apex is also rumored to have a big surprise in store for us this year, and Mewtwo would definently fit the bill.
Finally, you know how Sakurai revealed some characters on relevant important dates? Well, Mewtwo's official birthday is February 6th, and Japan's Spring starts February 5th. Just saying...
I don't really think that it will happen, but it would be awesome! Maby it would even fit right from the time cause as i remember they said mewtwo IS STILL in development during the 50 (54) facts about smash u, so it doesn't mean they just started after that rather than they have already been working on him. So February 6th would maby actually really be an option, as long as they keep the old, original mewtwo. As femtwo is obviously a different mewtwo it should also have another birthday (i am sorry if i am wrong).
Honestly i have to admit i would rather have no mewtwo in smash 4 (or any future smash), than femtwo. It would just ruin the memory of the "normal" one we had in melee, like it did in the movie IMO. (don't hate me for that). Otherwise i am so overhyped u can't even say!:chuckle:

Spirst

Oh boy, please don't get my hopes up. I really want to believe this but I somehow doubt it's the case.

OK... We can start as soon as you guys want. Who wants to publish/manage the page?
There's a Lucas DLC Smashboard thread here: http://smashboards.com/threads/pk-love-lucas-dlc-support-thread-under-new-ownership.324185/

You can try recruiting people for a petition from there if one isn't done already.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I could see this happening, it would also fit into the rumor of Mewtwo being shown at APEX

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yep, it's a worldwide closure.

Club Nintendo's discontinuation shouldn't affect Mewtwo considering that the date it'll be closed on is September 30th, 2015. Mewtwo needs to be registered by March 31st and will probably be released sometime in April. Here's the schedule:

• April 1st 2015: From this date, Nintendo will no longer include product registration cards with its packaged games, so such products cannot be registered in Club Nintendo. You may still find product registration cards in games that were in stock before this date, however.
  • April 20th 2015: Termination of the registration of digital products downloaded from Nintendo eShop. Digital products obtained from Nintendo eShop after this date will no longer appear in the My Registered Games & Systems page in Club Nintendo. In addition, surveys for download software titles will no longer be available.
  • September 30th 2015: End of Club Nintendo programme. All Club Nintendo features, such as signing up as a new member, logging in as a registered member, earning Stars, and exchanging Stars for items from the Stars Catalogue will no longer be possible from this date.
Mewtwo should be fine but will probably be one of the last big Club Nintendo uses.
Feelings neutral for this i just registered

Besides i already got mewtwo ready to go

And even after we get mewtwo its like any other dlc you can redownload any time

Plus this is one of those promo code things it will be right there in are emails for those who registered by march 31st (athough this new news would explain why its march 31st in a weird way)

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I am so glad to leave the last few pages of discussion behind.

Some thoughts on recent topics:

+ My favorite Pokémon games are B2/W2.

Black and White were excellent. I loved that they made so many references to America. For the first time, Pokémon really felt like an international community, instead of Japan plus "everyone else." B2/W2 added more in-game content than any Pokémon game before or since. ORAS is a nice step up from X&Y, sure, but BW2 still have more content to enjoy than ORAS. I still haven't bought ORAS, and I might never buy one, especially if they're just going to make Pokémon Z later on. I love the new Mega Pokémon ORAS added A LOT, but that + move tutors, to me, is not worth $40 when I already played well over 999 hours of Pokémon X. The new hidden abilities are exciting, but I can get those anytime with a quick trip to /vp/... even though I hate going to /vp/... If BW2 had the Gen 6 Pokémon, I would never play XY or ORAS at all.

+ The worst main Pokémon games, to me, were Diamond and Pearl. Not even close.

I'm not a big fan of vanilla Ruby or Sapphire, either, but man, DP was terrible. Emerald made RS the best Pokémon game up until that point, but the jump in quality from DP to Platinum was jarring. Platinum is so much better than DP that it is utterly pointless to ever buy or experience DP at all. I love a LOT of Gen 4 Pokémon, don't get me wrong, but the game itself was horrible. I won't go into details. It'll take too long.

+ On Snake in Smash

I used to have a bad attitude towards Snake, and I still do to some extent. I don't like the MGS games. When Brawl was a thing, it just amounted to me not liking the MGS formula and characters. And yes, I have played at least one MGS game. Ever since I saw the trailer of a woman being torn open while fully awake for God only knows what reason, my general indifference to MGS has matured into a strong aversion. I want nothing to do with Kojima or his games anymore. That was physically sickening for me to watch. Some would argue that these things happen in real life. Yes, they do. But we don't glorify or condone such things. If I saw such a thing, my first instinct is to run up and start ripping some people's heads off, because that is just insane barbarism and it must be stopped. To flippantly add this kind of thing to a game for shock value is just shameless. I also don't care for the blatant cheesecake bikini warrior.

I admit, however, that I really did think Snake was a very cool Smash character. I liked having him in Brawl, and I liked that people enjoyed playing as him. I think it's a shame that his play style will not return... but I do not miss Snake as a character. While I think Snake coming back to Smash 4 would be the hypest thing ever for most people, I would have very mixed feelings. On one hand, I would enjoy playing with/against Snake in Smash 4, but on the other hand, I don't want Kojima inadvertently getting any of my money, at all.

I have to say, though: Snake's reveal for Brawl was hype insanity. Internet went insane. I even have to admit that it was very cool how they did it.

+ On Ice Climbers in Smash 4

I'd love for it to happen, but the technical limitations mean that it never will. At least, not like it used to be. The only way it could work would be if Nana and Popo fought solo all the time, probably, and that really destroys the uniqueness of the character. At that point, I feel that many of the Ice Climber mains wouldn't enjoy playing their favorite character anymore, since it would take away the core mechanic of their metagame: coordinating attacks between Nana and Popo.

Nintendo won't release the ICs exclusively to the Wii U. Even if that's possible, it's an affront to 3DS players like myself... It would essentially eliminate any relevancy the 3DS version still has completely. That's not what they want when they're trying to make the NEW 3DS a success. The Wii U might not even be able to handle the traditional ICs in 8-player Smash, anyway.

I miss the Ice Climbers, but I think their time is over.

+ On Wolf/Lucas in Smash 4

I really liked Wolf. He had a lot of personality, and felt really different to Fox and Falco despite having vaguely similar special moves. Wolf was one of my favorite Brawl characters. I'd like him to come back, but... please, NO LANDMASTER. Seriously. If Wolf had had a different Final Smash in Brawl, he might have been much more popular to the casual crowd even today. I don't think it's likely we will get any characters after Mewtwo, but if we did, I wouldn't be disappointed with Wolf.

Lucas. I don't think Lucas is likely to come back. Sakurai admitted that a big part of which characters make it into Smash games has a lot to do with marketability of the related games. It's not the only factor, but it is undeniably a consideration. Star Fox is already seeing a new game, and has far more games that MOTHER has.

With all that said, however, I am not against Lucas coming back! However, I would want him to have a completely different moveset. Ness already has a lot of moves that don't make a lot of sense in context to his appearance in Earthbound, but making Lucas a "Luigi" of Ness makes even less sense. Lucas actually has a lot of things to draw from as far as potential moves go. I'd love for his final smash to be calling in a giant T-Rex, for one thing! However, Sakurai has never completely discarded a past moveset when bringing back a past character. He even has said that one of the reasons is his fear of alienating past fans of that character. So, since Lucas will not receive a more fitting moveset, I don't think he should return, even in the unlikely circumstance that he might return at all.

+ Club Nintendo is closing

This had me very worried. The first I had heard about it was the video on Game Xplain, which didn't mention all the dates and details. I was worried that there might be some kind of red tape with getting Mewtwo or the Smash 4 soundtrack, but now that I've seen the official time table for the shutdown, I realize that everything should be fine. I'm interested in what will replace Club Nintendo. I think it's possible that it might be revealed at E3 this year.

+ Apex 2015 reveal?

It might happen. It appears that SOMETHING will be revealed, that much is likely. What exactly will be revealed? I guess we'll have to wait and see. It would be nice to have Mewtwo sooner than later, definitely. No one wants to wait until May. Most of us will find it hard to wait until March as it is. Sooner than March would be astounding and would really help me get back into serious Smash 3DS play.

Plus this is one of those promo code things it will be right there in are emails for those who registered by march 31st (athough this new news would explain why its march 31st in a weird way)
I hadn't considered this! If the Mewtwo DLC deadline had nothing to do with Mewtwo's release, but rather the closing of Club Nintendo, MEWTWO COULD BE DONE AT ANY TIME BEFORE MARCH 31ST! That's pretty exciting!

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
+ On Snake in Smash

I used to have a bad attitude towards Snake, and I still do to some extent. I don't like the MGS games. When Brawl was a thing, it just amounted to me not liking the MGS formula and characters. And yes, I have played at least one MGS game. Ever since I saw the trailer of a woman being torn open while fully awake for God only knows what reason, my general indifference to MGS has matured into a strong aversion. I want nothing to do with Kojima or his games anymore. That was physically sickening for me to watch. Some would argue that these things happen in real life. Yes, they do. But we don't glorify or condone such things. If I saw such a thing, my first instinct is to run up and start ripping some people's heads off, because that is just insane barbarism and it must be stopped. To flippantly add this kind of thing to a game for shock value is just shameless. I also don't care for the blatant cheesecake bikini warrior.

I admit, however, that I really did think Snake was a very cool Smash character. I liked having him in Brawl, and I liked that people enjoyed playing as him. I think it's a shame that his play style will not return... but I do not miss Snake as a character. While I think Snake coming back to Smash 4 would be the hypest thing ever for most people, I would have very mixed feelings. On one hand, I would enjoy playing with/against Snake in Smash 4, but on the other hand, I don't want Kojima inadvertently getting any of my money, at all.

I have to say, though: Snake's reveal for Brawl was hype insanity. Internet went insane. I even have to admit that it was very cool how they did it.
I'm not sure what trailer you saw man, but I don't think that ever happened in a Metal Gear game and I've played all of the main title Metal Gear games.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'm not sure what trailer you saw man, but I don't think that ever happened in a Metal Gear game and I've played all of the main title Metal Gear games.
Pretty sure it was a trailer for the new one that's coming out. All I know is that I didn't watch the full thing because it was sickening. An acquaintance gave me the link a while back, and I certainly don't feel like trying to find the video. I don't know what to tell you.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It happened at the very end of Ground Zeroes, and most of it is off-screen - I didn't feel it was necessary to include that scene, (though there was a lot about Ground Zeroes that I felt was unnecessary) but it seems a bit much to judge the entire Metal Gear franchise based on it (especially since nothing even remotely like that occurs in any other Metal Gear game) - that's like judging every Sonic game based on the kissing scene in Sonic 06, or judging every Zelda game by the Triforce charts quest in Wind Waker.

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
It happened at the very end of Ground Zeroes, and most of it is off-screen - I didn't feel it was necessary to include that scene, (though there was a lot about Ground Zeroes that I felt was unnecessary) but it seems a bit much to judge the entire Metal Gear franchise based on it (especially since nothing even remotely like that occurs in any other Metal Gear game) - that's like judging every Sonic game based on the kissing scene in Sonic 06, or judging every Zelda game by the Triforce charts quest in Wind Waker.
Ooooooh, thats why I don't remember it happening because I just breezed right through Ground Zeros and never touched it again.

But yeah, What you say is true actually. I never get why people just find the little things to hate the entire franchise. When i hate a game/franchise I make sure to get all the points across.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom