• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Lol, what was the pic Smashbro posted?

And yeah, I hate how they largely gave megas to already perfectly viable Pokemon to overpower them to broken-status. Give me that Mega Mantine nao.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Lol, what was the pic Smashbro posted?

And yeah, I hate how they largely gave megas to already perfectly viable Pokemon to overpower them to broken-status. Give me that Mega Mantine nao.
it was a pic i was quoting from golden sun. he was the one who posted it. :p it was censor dodging. didnt know that was against the rules. we got rid of it. >.<

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Mega Tauros
Mega Persian
Mega Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltress
Mega Corsola
Mega Xatu
Mega Giraffarig
Mega Stantler
Mega Honchkrow
Mega Pachirisu
Mega Lickilicky
Mega Cresselia
Mega Vanilluxe
Mega Aromatisse
Mega Malamar

Lots of Pokemon that deserve to have competitive pokemon players take a second glance at.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Mega Tauros
Mega Persian
Mega Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltress
Mega Corsola
Mega Xatu
Mega Giraffarig
Mega Stantler
Mega Honchkrow
Mega Pachirisu
Mega Lickilicky
Mega Cresselia
Mega Vanilluxe
Mega Aromatisse
Mega Malamar

Lots of Pokemon that deserve to have competitive pokemon players take a second glance at.
no mega darkrai or mega golurk

bad/10

Igzex

no mega darkrai or mega golurk

bad/10
Mega Darkrai would be a horrible idea. Its base form's presence alone already has the opponent trying to pick their pokemon to eat the sleep clause bullet in the world of ubers.

Also I dream about Mega Vespiquen with a Prankster variant called Royally Screw You so it gets priority heal and defend order

Last edited:

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
@Smashbro596 hey, you should like, edit that comment so the po-po wont catch you dog since you showin' s
Mega Darkrai would be a horrible idea. Its base form's presence alone already has the opponent trying to pick their pokemon to eat the sleep clause bullet in the world of ubers.

Also I dream about Mega Vespiquen with a Prankster variant called Royally Screw You so it gets priority heal and defend order
no mega flygon
you left out mega flygon
you just left out the pokemon who deserved it most, its like the pokemon company created a pokemon that was almost "legendary", the mirage pokemon which is a legendary title, but they throw that away, its like no one even knows hes the mirage pokemon anymore
badworsthorrible/10
jk, but srsly, he deserves the mega the most, fact, its like no one even knows him anymore

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
hay

Mega Rayquaza was a worse idea

:)

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Sandslash and Mantine are my main requests. I can still whoop ass with them competitively because of my stubbornness and the sheer amount of years I've played competitively, but they really need a boost. Mega Flygon is to Pokemon what Ridley is to Smash.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
There's your problem right there.
I fell like my skill jumped by about 9001 once I wrapped my hands around my gleaming platinum GameCube controller, and no longer had to worry about breaking my precious 3DS.
Do you think SSB4 has enough competitive merit? If you're a Melee/PM player like me, can you play without the advanced techs and such? Or do you think it will fare like how Brawl did? Personally I love it and intend on saving up to attend nationals for it, but the community is giving it a lot of hate for not being competitive enough.
If games like Divekick can be considered competitive, any iteration of Smash is more than suitable for the competitive scene.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
The last page or so has summed why I don't like Megas. They make the game even more hilariously unbalanced. Megas like Beedrill were a step in the right direction, but why the **** should Salamence or Garchomp get one?

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
The last page or so has summed why I don't like Megas. They make the game even more hilariously unbalanced. Megas like Beedrill were a step in the right direction, but why the **** should Salamence or Garchomp get one?
Powering up fan favorites?
57790319.jpg

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I seem to be the only guy here who LIKES mega evolution. i like seeing my favorite pokemon beefed up and given new life, op as they may be.
I liked some of them, particularly the ones everyone else hates like Banette and Houndoom. It makes it all the more satisfying to win with them.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I'm shocked and depressed that the two Pokemon everyone wanted to have a Mega Evolution in ORAS didn't get one.
Flygon and Milotic

Dragon/Bug?!
Ground/Bug?!
(either way, it'll probably keep levitate...cuz hur durr...that's what makes it unique competitively)

Water/Fairy (dur...who could argue with this?) Give it Regenerator or Magic Guard...something cool, ya know?
Instead we get Mega Salamence...a Mega...for a Pokemon...that was already broken from a competitive standpoint. Wtf, Gamefreak? Seriously?! You give us Mega Garchomp and now this?! *sigh*

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I seem to be the only guy here who LIKES mega evolution. i like seeing my favorite pokemon beefed up and given new life, op as they may be.
I like them too. Interestingly enough, some find Mega Garchomp a bit of a nerf, if for no only reason that it removes any questions as to which kind of Garchomp you're running. And Mega Charizard Y still has that quad weakness to Stealth rock, etc.
Maybe this is why I'm still single...
Oh, and my most wanted Mega:
mega_nidoking_by_badafra-d71nf64.jpg

Hail to the king, baby.

Last edited:

Spirst

If there's one Pokemon who deserves a mega, it's good ol' Dunsparce. Behold, true fear:

Last edited:

Igzex

Well now that it can learn sacred fire why the heck not

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
There's your problem right there.
I fell like my skill jumped by about 9001 once I wrapped my hands around my gleaming platinum GameCube controller, and no longer had to worry about breaking my precious 3DS.

If games like Divekick can be considered competitive, any iteration of Smash is more than suitable for the competitive scene.
I still don't understand how people like you can afford over 300$ on a Nintendo console, or its just from the Christmas sale, but even some teabaggers on for glory 3DS are now on Wii U, I just keep playing the 3DS because its handheld and I can be able to smash anywhere.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I still don't understand how people like you can afford over 300$ on a Nintendo console, or its just from the Christmas sale, but even some teabaggers on for glory 3DS are now on Wii U, I just keep playing the 3DS because its handheld and I can be able to smash anywhere.
I bought a Wii U on day 1. I saved ahead for about 6 months or so. Having a nice job helps too :p

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
it feels like new years eve was yesterday when its now the 6th...
I guess we can wait for Mewtwo after all, seems like this years going by fast like 2014 was.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Huge Power, anyone? :3
(how2breakthemeta101 ...as if Mega-Quaza hasn't already done that...)
Depends on the meta, dear Speed. Mega-Mence broke OU before it was banned.

Strangely enough, Greninja wasn't banned. :054:

Igzex

Greninja being banned over being able to learn a strong poison type attack would be sad.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I really hope they don't nerf Mewtwo's taunts.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
So, here's a question, Mewtwo fans:

Do you think SSB4 has enough competitive merit? If you're a Melee/PM player like me, can you play without the advanced techs and such? Or do you think it will fare like how Brawl did? Personally I love it and intend on saving up to attend nationals for it, but the community is giving it a lot of hate for not being competitive enough.
First, let me just say that I love all the games in the series. Melee was definently the most competitive, Brawl was definently the most casual, and SSB64 and SSB4 are definently the middlegrounds. I play all of the games semi-casually. I like having some, but not all, of the items on, and I like playing on a variety of stages, but not totally disruptive ones. I also find I'm one of the few people who play Smash that actually like Final Smashes. They're part of a character's moveset, and they're tons of fun to use.

That aside, and excuse my French, **** all the dip****s who only play Melee and berate every other game in the series. If you only like Melee, that's 100% fine by me. But when rip other games in the series to shreds for not being like Melee, that's when we have a problem. Melee was NOT perfect. It still had issues that needed to be addressed. I loved every game in the series immensely, but they all had flaws. If you ask me, 64 was the closes to perfect in the series up until SSB4. 64 seemed like the middlegrounds to me. It wasn't all casual, and it wasn't all competitive. Not that Melee and Brawl were all of one thing, but 64 came the closest to middle up until 4. 4, is, in my opinion, the most perfect game in the entire series, with 64 at a very close second. It still has issues, definently, but I think it has the fewest.

64, while it lacked staple features such as Up and Down throws, Over Bs, and Air and Spot dodges, was well balanced throughout what it had. The biggest issue, if you ask me, were the crap recoveries. Pikachu, along with Kirby, to some extent, were the only characters in the game with decent recoveries, and that's part of why they're so top tier. Jigglypuff's was absolute bullcrap at that point, and the next best was Fox, and even his wasn't that good. If you ask me, the reason Samus is considered the worst character in the game was because her recovery was a Pichu-level joke. Anyway, getting past the recoveries, everything else was very well balanced, and while it lacked staple features, it was very near perfect. Sometimes, quality is more important that quantity.

4 is easily one most balanced games in the series, with it's only possible competition being 64. The recoveries seem to be well-balanced, unlike 64, and they did a good job of all-around balancing nearly everything else in the game. Prime example: Bowser. He was absolutely worthless before 4, and they buffed him to actually be viable. Heck, he won a few pre-release tournaments. Ganondorf, infamously the worst character in Brawl, seems to have been buffed to the point of being balanced. He's heavier than he was in Brawl, but now, in 4, he's an overall faster character. Warlock Punch and Flame Choke are now even more powerful, and Dark Dive was buffed so as to disallow characters from attacking Ganondorf as he released them. It's amazing what they did with the characters this time around, and its honestly the first time I've played a Smash game without being able to quickly point out a high-tier character or a low-tier character. And that's a great thing. Now, the game obviously has glaring issues. The biggest one is definently the removal of edgehogging. Massive mistake. It's one of the reason recoveries are so much better this time around. And while that change definently helps some characters, there were other ways to fix that problem. As I stated before, character recoveries seem much better this time around. This is in part to due to the new ledge mechanics, and they almost seem to be the opposite of Smash 64's. Instead of most of them being awful, most recoveries seem to be spectacular. This, in turn, makes the characters' survivability much higher, and it seems to draw out stock matches and cause lower scores in time matches. I can survive to much higher percentages, it seems, than in other iterations in the series. However, because most, if not all, characters have excellent recoveries, none of them are unbalanced in that area. It's Brawl- logic: If eveybody's OP, then nobody is. This does not alleviate the problem at all, and it remains Smash 4's glaring issue, but the fact that no characters are unbalanced because of it makes it more of a gameplay issue, which is less detrimental to competitive play than an unbalanced roster. The other problem Smash 4 has, of course, is the absence of L-Canceling, which was very important to competitive play due to its lag-reducing properties. It's one of the few cut features, along with edgehogging, that I believe should be reimplemented in order to remain competitively appealing while also staying casually appealing.

Brawl's and Melee's issue was simple: An unbalanced roster. Slower characters with crap recoveries were low tier, and quicker characters with superb recoveries were high tier. Granted, Brawl's roster was far more unbalanced than Melee's, having Gods like Meta Knight and nightmares like Ganondorf, but both of them them were pretty damn unbalanced, even with the two outliers of Pichu and Meta Knight removed.

Now, Melee, while having a more unbalanced roster than 4, does have faster gameplay and more hitstun, as well as lacking the extreme survivability of Smash 4. Of course, this is geared more toward a competitive community, but I would say, as a semi-casual player, that having a balanced roster would be more important than having faster gameplay, seeing as an unbalanced roster can have the potential to wreck the competitive scene, as Meta Knight proves, whereas slower gameplay would appear to be just a matter of adapting and getting used to the different speed.

And then, there's the Air Dodge mechanics and wavedashing. Whenever I have a conversation about Smash Bros., that's the one subject that never fails to come up. Yes, Melee's Air Dodge and the resulting wavedashes are geared for competitive players, but I wouldn't say that makes the current Air Dodge mechanics inferior because they're more casual. If you ask me, the current mechanics feel far more fluid and natural than Melee's. This is a bold statement, but I would say that if wavedashing had been removed when Sakurai noticed it, an uproar over the new Air Dodge mechanics would've been less that half of what it was. Wavedashing is an important aspect of Melee's competitive play, I understand that. But the fact that is a glitch should probably tell Melee players that hate the other installments, "Hey, maybe I should stop ******** about the new Air Dodge mechanics because wavedashing was a glitch, so even if Melee's mechanics were to return, which they probably won't because Nintendo clearly prefers the new ones, as Smash 4 showed with their reinclusion, wavedashing most likely wouldn't, which is a massive part of why I prefer Melee's mechanics." I don't have a problem with you preferring Melee's mechanics, but don't think that they're going to return when Nintendo's decided they like the current mechanics better, and at least think about how wavedashing returning, even in the event that Melee's mechanics were going to return, is incredibly unlikely because it is a glitch. And ESPECIALLY don't crap all over other installments because of their exclusion of Melee's mechanics and, consequently, a glitch. I have absolutely no problem with you preferring Melee's Air Dodge mechanics, but be sensible and be nice.

As to answer your question, yes, Smash 4 easily has enough competitive merit. Brawl could played competitively, and Smash 4 is basically the middlegrounds of competitive and casual play in the Smash series. Yeah, it's not as competitive as Melee, but it's not as casual as Brawl. People who keep expecting Nintendo to make another Melee are just setting themselves up for disappointment. If you prefer Melee, then we have zero problems. The problem is when you expect another Melee and get pissed when it doesn't happen. That's not how it works, so if you want to play a game as competitive as Melee, then play Melee. Don't expect another Melee, because, chances are, it's not going to happen, especially after Sakurai's recent interview, of which I agree with 100%. If they only make a competitive Smash, them its not going to be as popular and it's not going to sell well. People who only play Melee and tear up other games in the series need to realize that they are not the only ones that matter and that their are other ways to play Smash. If you only play competitive, that's great, but understand other people play Smash, too. I think Smash 4 has tons of competitive merit, especially because it's easier for beginners to pick up and play and learn the controls than a game like Melee. You can't grow a competitive community if beginners don't understand the game. And, you also have to consider the much more balanced roster than other games in the series, which is very important to competitive play, as a character that dominates the rest of the cast wrecks the competitive scene.

As a person who plays Project M and Melee, I actually find that I play Smash 4 better than other installments in the series, even without prominent features such as L-Canceling and wavedashing. I don't know if it's because the game is more casual, but I do know that I'm the best in Smash 4 relative to other games in the series, to answer your other question.

I'm sorry I'm so late replying and I'm sorry this post is so long, but I feel like this needed to be said.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
This is basically what I've been trying to tell people.

Look, I love Melee. Even with the release of 2 (3 if PM is counted) Smash sequels, I still go back to it sometimes. I get that it's fast and technical. I get that the high-level matches are super hype. I get that it made the community into what it is today. It's the one I grew up with and never stopped loving.

But the character balance suuucks. Out of 26 characters, 8 of them are viable at a tournament-level, and that's being generous with somewhat niche characters like ICs (try playing them if you haven't mastered chaingrabbing). That's less than a third of the cast. Now, that's fine for the folks that just want to win and don't care about any of the stuff behind their character. To a lot of people, it's just a cool-looking 3D model with the moves you want.

But what about people like me? I'm sure you Mewtwo fans can sympathize here. The guys who want to main characters that they are a fan of while genuinely liking their playstyles. I get why Mewtwo sucks, I agree with his tier list placing. But he inherently sucks because the programmers weren't thinking when they made him. Light. Huge hitbox. Slow. The strength of an un-tippered Marth outside of his d-smash which only hits one side. All the poor kitty has is amazing throws, decent tilts, and recovery. And a good wavedash too I guess. You can say you're a good Mewtwo. You can master all his advanced techs. But at the end of the day. if you play a Fox who's at the same skill level as you, you're gonna lose because Fox is factually better. And that's just Mewtwo. What were they thinking with the rest of the bottom tiers. What happened to Kirby being arguably the best in 64? If you like to main characters you're a fan of, your ceiling is a lot lower. I play Samus, too, and while she's a lot better, she's still pretty slow. The only top 8 character I can identify with is Falco. I'm bored of watching major Melee tournies because it's so often just spacie dittos. Seriously, when's the last time you heard of someone winning a major national without a top 8 character?

As I mentioned before, Smash 4 has amazing balance and has so much more competitive merit than the Melee-elitists realize. They're just way too afraid of change. The game is waaay faster and more grounded than Brawl. One of the main complaints with Brawl was the slowness/floatiness, so there ya go. Like Igzex mentioned, no character outside of Mii Swordfighter and maybe WFT is completely unsuitable for competitive play. Hell, they even made the infinite air dodges more punishable than Brawl. People are just mad that their precious WD and LCs aren't back. Melee 2.0 isn't happening. I'm not saying to quit Melee forever, just give the new game a chance. It's still growing and the metagame needs time to develop. Or did you already forget the early days of Melee when items were set to low and Corneria was legal?

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101

Look, I love Melee. Even with the release of 2 (3 if PM is counted) Smash sequels, I still go back to it sometimes. I get that it's fast and technical. I get that the high-level matches are super hype. I get that it made the community into what it is today. It's the one I grew up with and never stopped loving.

But the character balance suuucks. Out of 26 characters, 8 of them are viable at a tournament-level, and that's being generous with somewhat niche characters like ICs (try playing them if you haven't mastered chaingrabbing). That's less than a third of the cast. Now, that's fine for the folks that just want to win and don't care about any of the stuff behind their character. To a lot of people, it's just a cool-looking 3D model with the moves you want.

But what about people like me? I'm sure you Mewtwo fans can sympathize here. The guys who want to main characters that they are a fan of while genuinely liking their playstyles. I get why Mewtwo sucks, I agree with his tier list placing. But he inherently sucks because the programmers weren't thinking when they made him. Light. Huge hitbox. Slow. The strength of an un-tippered Marth outside of his d-smash which only hits one side. All the poor kitty has is amazing throws, decent tilts, and recovery. And a good wavedash too I guess. You can say you're a good Mewtwo. You can master all his advanced techs. But at the end of the day. if you play a Fox who's at the same skill level as you, you're gonna lose because Fox is factually better. And that's just Mewtwo. What were they thinking with the rest of the bottom tiers. What happened to Kirby being arguably the best in 64? If you like to main characters you're a fan of, your ceiling is a lot lower. I play Samus, too, and while she's a lot better, she's still pretty slow. The only top 8 character I can identify with is Falco. I'm bored of watching major Melee tournies because it's so often just spacie dittos. Seriously, when's the last time you heard of someone winning a major national without a top 8 character?

As I mentioned before, Smash 4 has amazing balance and has so much more competitive merit than the Melee-elitists realize. They're just way too afraid of change. The game is waaay faster and more grounded than Brawl. One of the main complaints with Brawl was the slowness/floatiness, so there ya go. Like Igzex mentioned, no character outside of Mii Swordfighter and maybe WFT is completely unsuitable for competitive play. Hell, they even made the infinite air dodges more punishable than Brawl. People are just mad that their precious WD and LCs aren't back. Melee 2.0 isn't happening. I'm not saying to quit Melee forever, just give the new game a chance. It's still growing and the metagame needs time to develop. Or did you already forget the early days of Melee when items were set to low and Corneria was legal?
You, my good sir, are legitimately and literally the first person who completely understands and, for that matter, agrees with me. Thank you so much! No one else has ever understood what I am trying to say, much less agreed with me. Because of that, along with all of the other fun times we've had together on the Boards, you have earned yourself a follower.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926

I agree 100% people just assume smash 4 is not real competitive but It has good balance and more knowledge since you're not fighting fox or falcon all the time. Also, I agree that people mostly main characters they like with a slight appeal with their moveset but some of my mains/secondaries I barely love besides their movesets. I'm a dedede main but I don't like him much but I found a way to make some of my favorite characters work like Luigi, Meta Knight and bowser Jr.. (P.S. I hope mewtwo's actually good this time especially since he was weaker than pikachu in melee lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom