• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
What does everyone think his Final Smash will be? It will either be Mega Mewtwo X or Y obviously, but the question is which one? I think X makes him look cooler, but Y could actually make him unleash some mega poweful psychic attack. X would probably be rampaging using ultra powerful physical attacks.
Mega Mewtwo X on the 3DS and Mega Mewtwo Y on the WiiU. I love both of them so I hope they're both used.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
What does everyone think his Final Smash will be? It will either be Mega Mewtwo X or Y obviously, but the question is which one? I think X makes him look cooler, but Y could actually make him unleash some mega poweful psychic attack. X would probably be rampaging using ultra powerful physical attacks.
I like X way more but it most likely is going to end up being Y. Maybe X can be an alt.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Is it me or Mewtwo's tail is a bit short?
Until I see actual game-play of his tail-hitting moves in action, I might not make any speculation about that.

Trust me, it kinda felt great Meta Knight's sword length was reduced, but, c'mon, have you seen just how pathetic his sword attacks have become? Marth too, but MK's nerf in sword range I feel bad more for MK than Marth now.

The idea of Mewtwo's tail range getting reduced I'm hoping isn't a MK scenario, because I won't be using those tail moves even if they're lagless upon landing.:urg: If anything, I'd like if his tail emphasized distance & reach like that of P:M Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Until I see actual game-play of his tail-hitting moves in action, I won't make any speculation about that.

Trust me, it kinda felt great Meta Knight's sword length was reduced, but, c'mon, have you seen just how pathetic his sword attacks have become? Marth too, but MK's nerf in sword range I feel bad more for MK than Marth now.

The idea of Mewtwo's tail range getting reduced I'm hoping isn't a MK scenario, because I won't be using those tail moves even if they're lagless upon landing.:urg:
IF she still has tail attacks. Let's try not to deal in absolutes unless one of us is a dev looking to lose his job, yes? I still favor the hitbox dissonance route; Mewtwo shouldn't actually have to hit someone with part of her body for them to feel it, y'know?

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
I saw somebody bounce around the idea that his final smash may switch up for each game.

Like, on the 3DS he could have his Y evolution as a final smash, and on the Wii-U version, he could have his X evolution as the final smash. Or other way around. That would make the most sense, and considering we've yet to see anything of his X form, I think it would be rad.

He's still a long time away so it could very well happen!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
While we're on the subject of movesets, I suppose now would be a good time to post my moveset for him. I believe I've posted it before, but I can't remember where. I feel like it might get a lot of hate because it's a modified version of his Melee moveset, but I'll take that chance. Spoilered for length.
B-Shadow Ball-Retain the extermely jagged trajectory. Increase the speed and damage. Give it awesome new visuals resembling a deep purple/black electrically-charged Aura Sphere.

B Custom 1-Barrier-This Shadow Ball is identical in appearance to a normal Shadow Ball. It charges very fast and charges to be extremely large and completely cover Mewtwo. This allows it to act as a shield. It reflects projectiles-It reflects them at 65% of their original speed and twice the damage. Mewtwo cannot throw it. Hitting B causes him to disperse it and deal minimal damage. Enemies who walk into a held barrier take no damage or knockback.

B Custom 2-Shadow Blast-Mewtwo charges a smaller-than-normal Shadow Ball. It charges very slowly. It travels totally straight when thrown and has a hitbox similar to that of a large Super Scope (SSB4's version) shot. It travels extremely fast. It is also extremely powerful and deals high damage and knockback.

Over-B-Confusion-Mewtwo uses Confusion. It is functionally identical to Melee's. It also functions similarly to Project M's Confusion in that it is excellent in starting combos and in its range and wind hitbox. It is also similar in terms of it's reduced ending lag. It can now properly reflect projectiles-It reflects them with no change in speed or damage. Mewtwo can pick up items with this move. This move also stalls Mewtwo once in midair.

Over-B Custom 1-Psychic-Mewtwo uses the same animation. Picking up a character results in them entering their tumbling state in front of Mewtwo for a few seconds. They then get a neon blue shadow of sorts around them. Mewtwo's eyes turn blue and he uses special animations to move around for a limited time. The character is held for a few seconds and Mewtwo can take them around freely. It functions almost like an unrestricted mobile grab. Hitting the attack button results in Mewtwo grunting and hitting the character with a moderatley powerful shadow blast. Psychic has short range and can only hold one character at a time. There is also a brief cooldown period after you have used it to prevent spamming. Mewtwo automatically drops the character with no damage if the time limit is exceeded. Mewtwo can also catch projectiles with this move. This allows it to act as a slightly delayed reflector. Mewtwo can pick up items with this move.

Over-B Custom 2-Sniper Psychic-Mewtwo shoots a thin beam of neon blue energy in front of it. It travels a rather long distance until is dissipates and has a thin hitbox. Anybody hit by this beam is surrounded in a neon blue shadow of sorts. Mewtwo can then move them around freely. There are restrictions. Mewtwo can only move them forward a short distance in order to prevent cheap KO's. Mewtwo can move them up and down far less restricted than forward but is still restricted. He can move them any distance toward himself. Moving people behind Mewtwo is restricted similarly to the forward restriction although a little more lenient.The beam penetrates and thus can by multiple people. It also has a time limit of several seconds. Exceeding the distance limit results in Mewtwo dropping the character. It cannot penetrate walls. Hitting the attack button or shield button results in Mewtwo dropping the afflicted characters with no damage. Mewtwo cannot move while controlling characters and thus is vulnerable. This move also has a brief cooldown. The cooldown is considerably longer than Psychic's. Mewtwo can also pick up projectiles and reposition them. There are no distance restrictions with projectiles but the time limit is retained. Mewtwo can also pick up items and attack from afar using this move. Picking up items with this move removes the distance restriction and provides a more lenient time limit. The only way to drop an item manually in this state is the shield button.

Down-B-Disable-Mewtwo shoots out a beam in front of it that stuns enemies. It has a longer range than in Melee and can hit people from behind. It is still a projectile and can thus be reflected and shielded. Hitting somebody who is already stunned deals 2%-3% and knocks them away with moderate knockback with the normal sound effect. Hitting an airborne opponent knocks them away with moderate knockback and 10%-11%. This move also stalls Mewtwo once in midair.

Down-B Custom 1-Strange Disable-This Disable has a shorter range and deals no damage. It cannot stun enemies. It can trip grounded opponents and puts airborn enemies into a helpless state. Any person hit by the beam suffers a strong push effect. Hitting a tripped person will retrip them and hitting a helpless person does nothing special. This move also stalls Mewtwo once in midair.

Down-B Custom 2-Will-O-Wisp-This Disable has a longer range and shorter ending lag. It can hit up to twice depending on how close you are to Mewtwo. It also plants Lip's Stick on enemies. It cannot stun enemies. The Lip's Stick gets larger if the enemy is hit multiple times. The hits deal no damage and instead plant Lip's Stick. This move also stalls Mewtwo once in midair.

Up B-Teleport-Mewtwo teleports depending on the direction the control stick is held. It has excellent range and has low start-up and ending lag. Mewtwo is invulnerable while teleporting. Mewtwo can attack out of Teleport like in Project M. He cannot air-dodge or use another Teleport out of Teleport. It deals no damage. He can teleport through platforms and teleporting straight down results in no movement.

Up-B Custom 1-Sneaky Teleport-Mewtwo makes himself invisible. You can still see blurring in some parts. The blurring becomes more intense for brief periods. Mewtwo can move freely in this state and takes slightly reduced damage. He can go through platforms in this state. He cannot attack. Hitting the attack button causes Mewtwo to attack out of the move and refrain from entering helpless. He cannot use his Up-B again and he cannot air-dodge until he lands or grabs a ledge. Mewtwo reappears and goes into helpless after a few seconds.

Up-B Custom 2-Burst Teleport- Mewtwo takes a second to briefly pause in midair. This slows his fall drastically. He then rushes forward in the direction of your choice and vanishes in a small bright explosion. He then reappears a short distance later in a small bright explosion. Mewtwo flies foward a tiny ways and then drastically decreases aerial mometum before entering helpless. Anybody hit by the bright explosions takes considerable damage and knockback. Anybody in Mewtwo's path while he is teleporting takes a small amount of damage and knockback. If Mewtwo reappears on the ground then all momentum is transferred into moving forward instead of being cancelled. This acts almost like wavedash from Melee. The end of the slide along the ground has rather low ending lag so Mewtwo can act out if it quite quickly. Anybody hit by Mewtwo as he is sliding along the ground takes very small damage and very small knockback. This Teleport cannot go through platforms and does not remain stationary if you Teleport straight down. Instead momentum is transferred into moving forward.

Final Smash-Psystrike-Mewtwo laughs sinisterly as a hurricane of dark electrical energy surrounds him. The hurricane of darkness becomes massive and has Mewtwo at its eye. Mewtwo can move around rather slowly in any direction. It generates an extremely strong pull effect. Any enemy caught in the hurricane is dealt strong damage reptetivley and is pulled toward the eye. This makes escape difficult. The move ends wih a very strong finishing blow. The hurricane then dissipates and Mewtwo floats back down to the ground. This marks the end of the move.
Mewtwo should also retain his U-Throw in all it's glory (Now you know how I selected my username).

Last edited:

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I saw somebody bounce around the idea that his final smash may switch up for each game.

Like, on the 3DS he could have his Y evolution as a final smash, and on the Wii-U version, he could have his X evolution as the final smash. Or other way around. That would make the most sense, and considering we've yet to see anything of his X form, I think it would be rad.

But Charizard gets X on both. I like the idea, and it is quite possible, but I think they'd probably want to keep consitency between the two versions because Sakurai likes that.

Now that I think about it, Y probably is more likely...

Or even, it could be decided at random between the two whenever Mewtwo uses his Final Smash. This is probably unlikely though. I know it sounds like this would be too random, but so are Smash Balls in the first place, so if you're gonna have Final Smashes on why not have another element of randomness anyway?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
IF she still has tail attacks. Let's try not to deal in absolutes unless one of us is a dev looking to lose his job, yes? I still favor the hitbox dissonance route; Mewtwo shouldn't actually have to hit someone with part of her body for them to feel it, y'know?
Yeah, I dig it. Psychic afterall. Apologies for the radicalized referencing of other characters, I just really don't want Mewtwo's game-play to be underwhelming, so like what Metros said about the tail length being in between Melee & P:M range, is something I'm very content with, IF he / she has tail moves.

Idk who brought it up, I thought Saucy posted about it, but we all probably brought this up a while ago back then months ago before Sm4sh was released. I'm very okay with Y being Sm4sh on 3DS, & X being on 5mash on WiiU too. Balances it out between both games that way. I can see the controversy of disapproving this idea & that people would want both forms in both games. Or like GreemFlame above me said, Y only because Charizard X is on both.

BUT, because Mewtwo is the posterboy for MEvolutions, he gets both. Sorry Charizard.
:troll:

This has little meaning to do with it, but the X & Y forms are a trophy only for the WiiU as of now. Mewtwo in Sm4sh for 3DS won't get a MEvo Final Smash.
:troll:

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Yeah, I dig it. Psychic afterall. Apologies for the radicalized referencing of other characters, I just really don't want Mewtwo's game-play to be underwhelming, so like what Metros said about the tail length being in between Melee & P:M range, is something I'm very content with, IF he / she has tail moves.
Wasn't annoyed with that, so much as the use of absolutes. Just because Mewtwo plays a certain way in Melee or Project M, doesn't mean she'll necessarily have anything similar in Sm4sh.

We've got something of a wait, too, so the more we use absolutes, the more we'll get hung up on them as fact, and the more we'll be hurt when what we held as true isn't. So! I still like Psystrike as her new default Neutral. :grin:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Wasn't annoyed with that, so much as the use of absolutes. Just because Mewtwo plays a certain way in Melee or Project M, doesn't mean she'll necessarily have anything similar in Sm4sh.

We've got something of a wait, too, so the more we use absolutes, the more we'll get hung up on them as fact, and the more we'll be hurt when what we held as true isn't. So! I still like Psystrike as her new default Neutral. :grin:
Oh well then snap, Disjointed hit-boxes because Psychic mechanic or something. . .you've caused me to think way outside the Smash box.:shades: Stahp it. Bowser says yes to absolutes broken, so Mewtwo can say yes too I guess. And, for the Psystrike idea, I don't go against it, because I'm fairly sure everyone who asked for Mewtwo to be in Sm4sh probably 9 times out of 10 asked for Psytrike to be a move to use, so, yes!:awesome:

Last edited:

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
So how long do you all think until we see Mewtwo in action? By the way they presented him it seems like he is in very early development so I would maybe expect something before the end of the year. I would love for him to get a trailer though. That would be incredible.
I'm guessing the first pics/footage will be in January or February but we might here more about his moveset before that.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
I feel like Im the only person who really wouldn't mind if Mewtwo kept his old moveset from Melee. It was fun and after hundreds of hours playing it I got quite good so thats a bonus. He needs buffs yes but I wouldn't be mad if they barley changed him up. Also, I really hope they make him a sort of villain character. The sinister laugh from Melee was awesome.

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
I want mewtwo to have more than just psychic/dark attacks. I want some fire or ice or electric attacks. You get the idea.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I want mewtwo to have more than just psychic/dark attacks. I want some fire or ice or electric attacks. You get the idea.
Hmmmm. . .JUST to be "that guy" & provide canon knowledge with the games for this, I'll help that post out:
http://serebii.net/pokedex-xy/150.shtml
Fire moves learn-able through any means:
  • Sunny Day
  • Flamethrower
  • Fire Blast
  • Incinerate
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Fire Punch
Ice moves learn-able through any means:
  • Mist (I would like this one in some way, because, he can learn this actually from leveling up)
  • Hail
  • Ice Beam
  • Blizzard
  • Ice Punch
  • Icy Wind
  • Avalanche
Electric moves learn-able through any means:
  • Thunderblot
  • Thunder
  • Charge Beam
  • Thunder Wave
  • Thunder Punch
  • Shock Wave
I'm okay with Fire, Ice, & Electric move via Custom Specials.:shades:

. . .Though he might have Wind-like attacks aka Flying type moves. Which I'm okay with too.
#WindMasterRace

EDITL OH, & btw, his N-air is an electric-based attack. So Electric is kind of covered, IF it returns, which it may not.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm fine with the Melee moveset, save for down-b.

I'd like that to be Barrier, a placeable wall that eats damage I saw suggested elsewhere. In addition, Confusion needs to ACTUALLY reflect projectiles. It's Melee functionality + more can be a custom.

I also want Teleport to not leave him helpless, but Palutena's does, so I'm not optimistic. Shadow Ball's fine.

But seriously Sakurai, PLEASE get rid of Disable, it's garbage.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
At least increase the stun-time or something, & it able to scale time of stun the higher their current % is, so that landing one at high % can actually be rewarding for a Fullcharged F-smash or something.

Deep down, I was okay with the move despite it's little usage & priority, but if it comes back, it needs to step up it's A game.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I'm fine with the Melee moveset, save for down-b.

I'd like that to be Barrier, a placeable wall that eats damage I saw suggested elsewhere. In addition, Confusion needs to ACTUALLY reflect projectiles. It's Melee functionality + more can be a custom.

I also want Teleport to not leave him helpless, but Palutena's does, so I'm not optimistic. Shadow Ball's fine.

I beg to differ about Disable. If modified correctly in can be incredibly useful. Look at Project M. Because the move can now hit enemies from behind, it could very well be the best tech-chase move in the game. They also increased its range slightly, which only contributed to it's now-drastically increased utility. It's amazing how changing only a few small things can result in a move instantly becoming more useful.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I beg to differ about Disable. If modified correctly in can be incredibly useful. Look at Project M. Because the move can now hit enemies from behind, it could very well be the best tech-chase move in the game. They also increased its range slightly, which only contributed to it's now-drastically increased utility. It's amazing how changing only a few small things can result in a move instantly becoming more useful.
ProM Mewtwo's Disable also hits them airborne, oddly being a great gimping move doing strong knockback of all things to happen.;)

Idek how I'd feel if Sakurai implemented all of that to Mewtwo's re-done Disable, if that happened.:awesome:

Last edited:

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
In the video

Charizard=The player that simply likes Mewtwo for being Mewtwo and plays the game.

Greninja=Tier player

I roll my eyes when fans attack Mewtwo and say "He wasn't even that good in melee!". Bowser wasn't either and hes been buffed pretty good. Sm4sh seems pretty balanced in my eyes. Mewtwo will be fine.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
In the video

Charizard=The player that simply likes Mewtwo for being Mewtwo and plays the game.

Greninja=Tier player

I roll my eyes when fans attack Mewtwo and say "He wasn't even that good in melee!". Bowser wasn't either and hes been buffed pretty good. Sm4sh seems pretty balanced in my eyes. Mewtwo will be fine.
I don't understand this. Tier players play high-ranking characters because they find that fun. If you play Mewtwo because you like Mewtwo then go for it. But if you like playing characters based on Tiers, that's just as fine, too. I see nothing wrong with playing characters based on Tiers. They do it for the same reason: To have fun. I get this is supposed to be funny, but it just doesn't sit well with me. I hate all the... Well, hate, the Competitive scene gets from casuals, I guess.

I personally play Mewtwo because he's Mewtwo, and Tiers don't really impact my decisions, but I still dislike the stereotype this video portrays.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
HA! Ironic considering Mewtwo is in PM at the moment one of, if not the best, character right now. Also proves that a character being good in one game doesn't mean it'll be the same in the next.

Anyways, my thoughts on Specials for Smash 4 M2:
N-Special: Keep Shadow Ball. It's a staple move for the psychic cat at this point, and he's had it since BEFORE it was official.

S-Special: Alot of folks prefer this being gone, but I actually wouldn't mind P:M Confusion. Yes, it's Confusion, but P:M's is actually useful, since it can launch targets(Setting up for juggles and stuffs) AND it's far more reliable as a reflector. Maybe I just prefer command throws, XD.

U-Special: Teleport. See Shadow Ball. Though if we get P:M Teleport, oh boy.

D-Special: ....Uh, yeah. This one can go. For what, I'll leave that to you guys XD.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I believe the Down Special should be changed to Barrier. I mean, Barrier is something we think of when it comes to Mewtwo, after all.
As for the other moves....I have no issues with them. Confusion could use some re-working though...

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand this. Tier players play high-ranking characters because they find that fun. If you play Mewtwo because you like Mewtwo then go for it. But if you like playing characters based on Tiers, that's just as fine, too. I see nothing wrong with playing characters based on Tiers. They do it for the same reason: To have fun. I get this is supposed to be funny, but it just doesn't sit well with me. I hate all the... Well, hate, the Competitive scene gets from casuals, I guess.

I personally play Mewtwo because he's Mewtwo, and Tiers don't really impact my decisions, but I still dislike the stereotype this video portrays.
Everyone has a different experience with the community. When I first started playing in competitive, people dismissed me for playing "lower tiers" when at the time I was ignorant of such things. Though, that only motivated me to get better. Like you, I also play Mewtwo for Mewtwo and could careless what tier he is, but I can understand why it can turn off casual fans. They may go to 1 or 2 competitive tournies, have a bad experience and stereotype all of us under the same label. I like the Seseme Street look of Greninja in this parody though.

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
My ideal Mewtwo moveset
Neutral B-Shadow Ball(Similar to Melee but there is a trade off for power or speed, if you throw it without much charge it moves quickly but not that much damage, throw it fully charged and it will move slower, still retains the pushback from when you use it.)

Up B-Teleport (exactly the same but you can act out of it.)

Side B-Psystrike/Swift (creates streams of psychic energy/stars that go out and lock on to your opponent. Somewhat similar to auto-reticle but has accuracy like Sonics neutral B to maneuver around corners.

Down B-Reflect bubble (similar to his block shield thing in origins, this is similar to Roslina's Gravitational pull except less range and can be held out like Ness's down B.)

Question for all the Mewtwo mains:

In this roster, or in the inevitable reveal trailer, who would you guys want to see Mewtwo fight against the most? Or even better, who would you want to see get their butts kicked by Mewtwo?

I know it's a random question but.. just trust me. What say you?
Charizard (due to origins.)

He could turn into Mega Mewtwo Y and use Psystrike.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Just something I want to see discussed. Realistically, do you think Sakurai will give Mewtwo a female voice or a male one. Nintendo must know how unpopular the female voice was as there was mass backlash from fans (I don't think its that bad though). I think it would be interesting to see male and female voices but if I had to pick one, it would be Dan Green's Mewtwo as it feels closer to the personality described in the Pokedex. Alternatively they could go for a feral Mewtwo like in Pokemon Origins which would be awesome as well. What do you all think?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think that Mewtwo's moveset should be a balance between physical and special moves. The moral of Mewtwo is that there is no way to play him.

EDIT: (look down)
@Eisendrachen Mewtwo is an "it" or more commonly refered to as "he" considering this is the 3dPro Mewtwo with slight alterations which came out prior to the Genesect movie which correspondingly means that Mewtwo is officially a male if forced to take on a gender. however there is the Mewtwo from the bonus special, which so happened to be the only Mewtwo that would be a "she" having forced to take on a gender. But that isn't in the game

P:S i'm back, and so is Mewtwo.:mewtwopm:

@ SaucyDancer SaucyDancer I personally prefer the Male-Mewtwo over the female one but that is just me. I just don't think that Mewtwo fits the role as a female character imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I play who I want to play~

Tier list can go suck nads for all I care, Whos with me!...not the sucking nads part.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Unless Disable steps it up, I'm all in for a different move replacing it. I don't even mind a parry Down-B, or a utility Down-B like Barrier, with it's effects whatever they may be. An extra bubble shield all by itself sounds lackluster though, but on the other hand, it's more defense for Mewtwo so meh.

Confusion being a command grab is pretty cool, but I don't mind if it's gone or stays. However if the above Down-B idea being Barrier happens to reflect projectiles & such, then we ask the same thing for Barrier compared to a regular bubble shield, "Why do we need two reflecting moves?". It's a trade-off scenario kinda sorta. Confusion kinda feels like Disable, it needs to step it up.

NOW, for something cool we didn't bring up that much, but, anyone remember this palette for Sonic?

Now that you have an idea of the color I'm thinking, what if Mewtwo's eyes were that color to express the times he / she would use Psychic attacks & having a Cyan-colored tail. Thoughts?

ALSO:

These colors above me, straight from the POtD today, those colors, what do you think of Mewtwo's eyes & tail glowing those colors.
Also how do we think psystrike will be implemented, if at all
Np about the slight mistake of N-air, it's whatever. And for Psystrike, I'd like it to be either a Custom Special variation, or as a prime Special move replacing Disable or Confusion, or even Shadow Ball because that could happen. Other than that, this:
He could turn into Mega Mewtwo Y and use Psystrike.
Just something I want to see discussed. Realistically, do you think Sakurai will give Mewtwo a female voice or a male one. Nintendo must know how unpopular the female voice was as there was mass backlash from fans (I don't think its that bad though). I think it would be interesting to see male and female voices but if I had to pick one, it would be Dan Green's Mewtwo as it feels closer to the personality described in the Pokedex. Alternatively they could go for a feral Mewtwo like in Pokemon Origins which would be awesome as well. What do you all think?
I think, that I'd be okay with whatever happens. Give me Mantwo, Femtwo, Ittwo, I give up having preferences for this. That may be bland & uninteresting, but I've mellowed out about this.
I think that Mewtwo's moveset should be a balance between physical and special moves. The moral of Mewtwo is that there is no way to play him.

EDIT: (look down)
@Eisendrachen Mewtwo is an "it" or more commonly refered to as "he" considering this is the 3dPro Mewtwo with slight alterations which came out prior to the Genesect movie which correspondingly means that Mewtwo is officially a male if forced to take on a gender. however there is the Mewtwo from the bonus special, which so happened to be the only Mewtwo that would be a "she" having forced to take on a gender. But that isn't in the game

P:S i'm back, and so is Mewtwo.:mewtwopm:

@ SaucyDancer SaucyDancer I personally prefer the Male-Mewtwo over the female one but that is just me. I just don't think that Mewtwo fits the role as a female character imo.
Welcome back, but please, we got off this entire debate about Mewtwo's gender. Let's all let it go, because frankly I think the majority knows he's genderless, but because of Voice acting from media, we like saying Maletwo & Femtwo.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm going to give my thoughts on this in as unbiased a fashion as I can. This may be a long one, I hope your bodies are ready.

Mewtwo is going to be given a masculine voice not unlike the one he had in Melee, and I'm laying my cards on the table with that statement. Because:

-Mewtwo, in the movie he's famous for, had a masculine voice, and was generally portrayed as a masculine character. Mewtwo has always been seen as a "he" to the fandom, until Movie 16, which was a controversial move among the fans that even saw the movie. Let's of course keep in mind that most members of the Smash fandom have likely not even seen the Genesect movie, so having a female Mewtwo would probably not seem extremely faithful to the character to people who supported their favorite Pokemon (for many people who no longer play Pokemon, they only know Mewtwo from when they were growing up.) and would absolutely be a move met with extreme disdain, and considering adding Mewtwo in is seemingly Sakurai's "Ultimate" fanservice, I think he's going to be as true to original Mewtwo as possible. Or hell, Origins Mewtwo, which was also fanservice.

But Banjodorf, you say. Other characters have recent iterations that affected their style in Smash Bros., why wouldn't this happen to Mewtwo?

-Well, ignoring the fact that Origins is Mewtwo's most recent appearance, in which he was feral/arguably masculine in temperament and "voice", characters that got such treatment are: Sonic, whose arguably annoying voice got slightly more annoying to match a recent voice actor, Fox and Falco, who had the same treatment, and Pit, who arguably had the opposite occur.

If you want evidence of how a character's less popular appearance has been shunned in favor of a more iconic look by Sakurai, look at Pac-Man, who thankfully skipped out on his more recent Ghostly Adventures look to use his iconic Arcade/Pac-Man World look. Little Mac got his most recent look from PO:Wii, but in Mac's case, his most recent look seems to be the most beloved, and distinguishing in the series. But this is about voices; I really just mentioned those to point out how, when it matters, Sakurai looks at what fans are most familiar with. He's not going to change Mewtwo's "gender" from previously masculine to match a recent feminine voice, especially when this is a character meant to appeal to the fans the most.

TL;DR: People see Mewtwo as masculine because with the exception of one movie, that's how he's always been portrayed. First Movie/Melee/Origins Mewtwo is the one people are most familiar with, and more people grew up knowing that Mewtwo than watched M16. There's nothing wrong with Mewtwo having a feminine-sounding voice, but it's not a good idea to change a character people think they know so well, when the very purpose of adding the character is to appeal to the fans.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Mari Devon for the VA. I'm down to spite at this point, though, so I really wouldn't care if the alternative came up.

D

Deleted member

A question i have though is what would you all prefer for Mewtwo in terms of movesets? (if this has already been discussed let me know and i'll change the post)

Would you like a purely special-based moveset?

A pure physical moveset?

Or both?
---
I would personally say that i would want both just because it feels good to hit with physical moves and i like that Mewtwo can essentially play two games at once (physical and special)

And who would you like to see as a final smash?

Mega Mewtwo X

Mega Mewtwo Y
---
I prefer X. however it's nice to know all of your opinions.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I play Mewtwo for Mewtwo, I play Pichu for Pichu, Pokemon Trainer for Pokemon Trainer, Lucas for Lucas, and Ness for Ness. When Mewtwo comes out, I will definitely be playing as him again.

For Final Smash, I think it will be a Mega Evolution, or it could just be Psystrike. I prefer Mega Mewtwo X over Mega Mewtwo Y, but I think Y is more likely even though IMO it would look weird for him to shrink for his Final Smash.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
I'm going to give my thoughts on this in as unbiased a fashion as I can. This may be a long one, I hope your bodies are ready.

Mewtwo is going to be given a masculine voice not unlike the one he had in Melee, and I'm laying my cards on the table with that statement. Because:

-Mewtwo, in the movie he's famous for, had a masculine voice, and was generally portrayed as a masculine character. Mewtwo has always been seen as a "he" to the fandom, until Movie 16, which was a controversial move among the fans that even saw the movie. Let's of course keep in mind that most members of the Smash fandom have likely not even seen the Genesect movie, so having a female Mewtwo would probably not seem extremely faithful to the character to people who supported their favorite Pokemon (for many people who no longer play Pokemon, they only know Mewtwo from when they were growing up.) and would absolutely be a move met with extreme disdain, and considering adding Mewtwo in is seemingly Sakurai's "Ultimate" fanservice, I think he's going to be as true to original Mewtwo as possible. Or hell, Origins Mewtwo, which was also fanservice.

But Banjodorf, you say. Other characters have recent iterations that affected their style in Smash Bros., why wouldn't this happen to Mewtwo?

-Well, ignoring the fact that Origins is Mewtwo's most recent appearance, in which he was feral/arguably masculine in temperament and "voice", characters that got such treatment are: Sonic, whose arguably annoying voice got slightly more annoying to match a recent voice actor, Fox and Falco, who had the same treatment, and Pit, who arguably had the opposite occur.

If you want evidence of how a character's less popular appearance has been shunned in favor of a more iconic look by Sakurai, look at Pac-Man, who thankfully skipped out on his more recent Ghostly Adventures look to use his iconic Arcade/Pac-Man World look. Little Mac got his most recent look from PO:Wii, but in Mac's case, his most recent look seems to be the most beloved, and distinguishing in the series. But this is about voices; I really just mentioned those to point out how, when it matters, Sakurai looks at what fans are most familiar with. He's not going to change Mewtwo's "gender" from previously masculine to match a recent feminine voice, especially when this is a character meant to appeal to the fans the most.

TL;DR: People see Mewtwo as masculine because with the exception of one movie, that's how he's always been portrayed. First Movie/Melee/Origins Mewtwo is the one people are most familiar with, and more people grew up knowing that Mewtwo than watched M16. There's nothing wrong with Mewtwo having a feminine-sounding voice, but it's not a good idea to change a character people think they know so well, when the very purpose of adding the character is to appeal to the fans.

This is well written. its nice to see someone bring in logical arguments for and against. I also agree with everything you said.

Mari Devon for the VA. I'm down to spite at this point, though, so I really wouldn't care if the alternative came up.
I always thought the fans never gave her enough credit. Seeing her as Mewtwo would be interesting and I definitely wouldn't be opposed to it.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Unless Disable steps it up, I'm all in for a different move replacing it. I don't even mind a parry Down-B, or a utility Down-B like Barrier, with it's effects whatever they may be. An extra bubble shield all by itself sounds lackluster though, but on the other hand, it's more defense for Mewtwo so meh.

Confusion being a command grab is pretty cool, but I don't mind if it's gone or stays. However if the above Down-B idea being Barrier happens to reflect projectiles & such, then we ask the same thing for Barrier compared to a regular bubble shield, "Why do we need two reflecting moves?". It's a trade-off scenario kinda sorta. Confusion kinda feels like Disable, it needs to step it up.
Even after the revamp, Pit still has two reflecting Specials. :p
But yeah. Barrier would make Confusion's reflecting redundant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom