• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Uh? Where were you during the brawl hype? Mewtwo's cut was even more unprecendented.
Unprecedented, yes. But it doesn't cause the same sort of reaction. That was just Sakurai being an idiot and not recognizing good characters to most people.

This is Sakurai ignoring years of requests from thousands of people. It's going to provoke more anger.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Just to confirm for now: trophies of both Mewtwo and Ridley are still MIA, correct?
Yes. Also, I like how I said I was going to leave, I think about a page or 2 ago, and I'm still here. I may have to get up early, but I'll survive on about 7 hours of sleep.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
So you were going to cancel the pre-order because Mewtwo wasn't in what's is an almost perfect roster, but you decided otherwise for literally the worst newcomwer of the entire game? Wow.
Dark Pit is one of my most beloved gaming characters of all time. Its very subjective to me.

Outlawstarx

Smash Cadet
Alright, I have a proposition. How about we give it until after the end of the stream tomorrow before we do anything? If we get no sort of news, THEN we need to find a way to convince Nintendo of Japan that Smash Bros DLC is worth the effort.
Yea im hoping for some good news tomorrow, and im sure Sakurai is going to do another update on the website as well.

gamer8

Smash Lord
The whole trophy thing has me a bit hopeful... If he's absolutely nowhere to be found in the game, not including palette references then that should mean something right? I don't want to be let down yet again though. Sigh. Has there been a Snake, Ice Climbers or Lucas trophy found yet either?

KingBroly

Smash Lord
There aren't any Trophies out there of Ridley, Lucas, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Ice Climbers or the Chorus Men. At least from what we know right now.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
The whole trophy thing has me a bit hopeful... If he's absolutely nowhere to be found in the game, not including palette references then that should mean something right? I don't want to be let down yet again though. Sigh. Has there been a Snake, Ice Climbers or Lucas trophy found yet either?
Snake would not have a trophy even if he isn't going to be in the game at all. It would require licensing and money, and I don't think they'd want to waste that on just a trophy. Maybe DLC is possible in the future though, but I'm not holding my breath for Snake. He really felt like a one-time deal, kind of a shame since I enjoyed his inclusion.

As for IC and Lucas, none that I am aware of. I heard that Ness has Lucas' movesets for his customizable moves though? Not sure if that's confirmed.

Last edited:

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Not sure if there is any hype left in you guys but it may not be over. Take it with a grain of salt and don't get your hopes up.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=129550964&postcount=15612
We were talking about that a few pages back. To be honest it's a rehashed version of what we already know, but I personally think it's possible. Especially since they never elaborated on the Wii U-3DS link option in the Wii U menu screenshots. Like I mentioned I wouldn't get people's hopes up with this, but I can see it happening.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
It's the connectivity thing that really gets me. Sure we'll have the same roster across both versions, but you still need both to unlock them all :rolleyes:
Im guessing that you'll be able to buy those characters as DLC if you don't have the WiiU version but this may not even be true.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
It doesn't have to work that way. The other characters could be paid DLC if you don't have a Wii U.
This would be a terrible business decision, as well as opening Nintendo up to false advertising suits for the "both have the same roster" claim. If you have to pay for them, they are a separate product.

EDIT: Stupid autocorrect.

Last edited:

Naoshi

Unprecedented, yes. But it doesn't cause the same sort of reaction. That was just Sakurai being an idiot and not recognizing good characters to most people.

This is Sakurai ignoring years of requests from thousands of people. It's going to provoke more anger.
Forgot to reply to this: I actually agree that people are very upset, but it's nothing new. In the end, Nintendo doesn't have anything to worry about. We still don't make up significantly.

I think most will get over it and will enjoy the game regardless. DLC is still in the cards, so who knows what will happen? :)

I probably won't reply further about the [minority] subject at the moment since I'm not feeling well at the moment, sort of having a terrible headache.

This would be a terrible business decision, as well as opening Nintendo up to false advertising suits for the "both have the same roster" claim. If you have to pay for them, they are a deprecate product.
I agree with this, that would be kind of a bad idea. Like, I can sort of see why they would do that as additional content does cost money to make, but it'd feel sort of cheaping out on the 3DS version-only consumers.

...Although I seem to recall the gametsu (or whatever) leaker has mentioned he heard talks about DLC being possible from the game development. He hasn't said how it's going to work but he mentioned he isn't happy with how it sounds because it apparently sounds greedy to him. I'm a little worried about that. This was in the same post where he claims Lucas is likely getting cut.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
This would be a terrible business decision, as well as opening Nintendo up to false advertising suits for the "both have the same roster" claim. If you have to pay for them, they are a deprecate product.
But you don't NEED them. It would only be a deprecate product if the game couldn't function without them, but they're optional. That's how all DLC content works..

And it wouldn't be false advertising. They do have the same roster, it's just that the Wii U includes extra characters. They're not cross platform anyway, and the "false advertising" claim is moot because it's just something they pointed out, it's not an actual selling point. Or not an official one anyway. To blame them for it would be petty.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
But you don't NEED them. It would only be a deprecate product if the game couldn't function without them, but they're optional. That's how all DLC content works..
You miss the point. They advertised both games having the same roster. If one game has characters that are only available in the other through an additional purchase, that advertisement is false, and legally viable for that.

You can't say "both our smartphone and tablet use the same processor", then, after release, and after people have paid for the phone, say "as long as you buy this processor upgrade for the phone".

It is illegal in most industrialized countries.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
...Although I seem to recall the gametsu (or whatever) leaker has mentioned he heard talks about DLC being possible from the game development. He hasn't said how it's going to work but he mentioned he isn't happy with how it sounds because it apparently sounds greedy to him. I'm a little worried about that. This was in the same post where he claims Lucas is likely getting cut.
A corporation being greedy? Do we all live in the same planet? Let's be realistic, corporations jobs are to MAKE money. It's always about the money at the end of the day and keeping the gears turning in the corporate machine. This isn't an indie game guys.

You miss the point. They advertised both games having the same roster. If one game has characters that are only available in the other through an additional purchase, that advertisement is false, and legally viable for that.

You can't say "both our smartphone and tablet use the same processor", then, after release, and after people have paid for the phone, say "as long as you buy this processor upgrade for the phone".

It is illegal in most industrialized countries.
Actually no I didn't. Please show me in print where Nintendo is legally, repeatedly marketing that aspect of the game. As far as I know, they mentioned it once. There's nothing illegal about that. I think you're missing the point - the two games will have the same roster. It's just that, in this theoretical scenario, the Wii U receives bonus content for marketing purposes. The 3DS still has the same roster, it's just that the bonus characters have to be bought. That's a simple marketing fallacy. If the product works with or without the extra content and doesn't become defunct due to it, there's no legal issue. So as far as your "processor" scenario, it wouldn't really count because the extra characters aren't "processor upgrades", they're merely phone cases to enhance your phone. You can have a phone case or not, you'll still have the same phone.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm not even going to bother to hunt down the applicable laws. I'm just going to say that if there is such a situation, free DLC is the route it would take.

And they've said it more than once. You can actually get them to say it if you just contact them directly through the Nintendo contact page and ask.

Naoshi

A corporation being greedy? Do we all live in the same planet? Let's be realistic, corporations jobs are to MAKE money. It's always about the money at the end of the day and keeping the gears turning in the corporate machine. This isn't an indie game guys.
LOL It was his (the leaker's) words about the DLC being possibly greedy, not mine.

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
Guys, guys. Let's be realistic here. We got no Mewtwo, and we won't ever get him back. He's over, he's done, he's history. We should all just head back to Melee and Project M. Wishing for DLC or cross-platform interaction is just getting your hopes up for potentially nothing - AGAIN. Don't do this to yourselves. You're better than this.

As for me, I am devastated. I am crushed. Not only because my Melee main didn't return, but also because my Brawl main (Lucas) didn't either. What hurts me the most is that Mewtwo had EVERYTHING going on for him. Sakurai even said he was considering his inclusion. But no, they decided to bring a character no one wanted or needed back, and a stupid clone, to make matters worse.

I would be lying if I said I'm not going to buy the game, but the hype is more than dead to me now. I might get it in a few years when I can get it for a cheaper price. It's incredible that not even the excitement Charizard, Rosalina and Palutena gave me matter anymore. I cared about Mewtwo more than anyone else.

To Sakurai, all I can say is a big **** YOU. This kind of trolling is just unacceptable. If Mewtwo wasn't really going to be in the game you should have just left your goddamn mouth shut and not get our hopes up. Today I lost all respect I had for this man and I'll pray that the next Smash game is getting a different director; one that actually has some freaking common sense and that doesn't just listen to the fans, but also respects them.

I have nothing else to say. I will miss you, Mewtwo. I'm back to Melee now.

Naoshi

How did Sakurai exactly trolled Mewtwo fans? I don't think he has ever teased or hint anything about him. I would like to know what you mean by this.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I'm not even going to bother to hunt down the applicable laws. I'm just going to say that if there is such a situation, free DLC is the route it would take.

And they've said it more than once. You can actually get them to say it if you just contact them directly through the Nintendo contact page and ask.
Well I'm all for free DLC, and I can see that happening as well. But there's nothing illegal about using fallacies as marketing schemes. Yes, it's dirty, but this is business, and a comment such as "both games will have the same roster" isn't much of an argument, legal or otherwise because it's not a prominent or detrimental feature for either games, especially because there's no cross platform gaming. And if it's paid, they could make it cheap, like $5-$10 for all three-four bonus characters, free for people who have both 3DS and Wii U.

They can go about this in more ways than that, so the point is, they can implement more characters if necessary. Whether it's due to demand or was a part of their business model from the start.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
How did Sakurai exactly trolled Mewtwo fans? I don't think he has ever teased or hint anything about him. Care to explain?
He said he was considering adding Mewtwo back at a Pokemon X and Y roundtable

Naoshi

He said he was considering adding Mewtwo back at a Pokemon X and Y roundtable
He said he was thinking about it, actually. Not exactly trolling in my honest opinion as he cannot actually answer with a yes or no. The way he teased Ridley is another story though.

But yeah now I remember, thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:

zombieRabbidz

Smash Journeyman
He said he was thinking about it, actually. Not exactly trolling in my honest opinion as he cannot actually answer with a yes or no. The way he teased Ridley is another story though.

So did ridley end up being a stage hazard or is that stage exclusive to wii u?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Well I didn't say he was trolling, but that's the closest thing to a tease which is what you asked.

Naoshi

Well... this is the strange part, we still don't know his fate! Despite Pyrosphere being announced a year ago, we still don't know the status of Ridley. Sakurai keeps teasing us, not showing off the boss at all outside of its shadow. It's... so weird. Like, we only have a few more months to go until the game is out, surely Ridley (as a boss) would've been finished by now so there's no excuse to hide the boss footage... Very suspicious if you ask me lol

Well I didn't say he was trolling, but that's the closest thing to a tease which is what you asked.
Ah yeah, I figured you didn't mean that. I should've been clear that was more or less directed at the dude who said Sakurai trolled us. My bad!

Last edited:

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Australian Law student here. If Nintendo didn't state that the roster would be the same for both games in any of their actual advertising schemes (interviews don't count) they would then be in the clear.

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
We don't have any official confirmations of it, but considering what happened, I don't see him becoming anything else, sadly. My guess is that he's one of the exclusive features that will be marketed for the WiiU version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom