• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strevo

Smash Rookie
Oh time for my first post, after lurking quiet a while now!

I do hope they bring Mewtwo back, back in the day when I had no internet whatsoever and didn't know how to unlock anything in Melee, it was a HUGE surprise after I saw Mewtwo approaching as a challenger, and I was convinced my game was bugging out because I had no idea what just happened. After unlocking him I was really happy, allthough he was not my best character to play as, I found it huge that he got in, and I was disappointed when he got cut from Brawl. With his new form he may or may not be guaranteed, I have no idea how Sakurai selects the roster and what conditions characters have to go through in order to get in.

I wouldn't mind it that much if Lucario will get cut or stay, I just hope we don't get like 6-7 pokemon characters, because I think that'd be overpresentating the franchise of it, but to each his own. Let's just hope they tweak his weight and movesets a little bit so he's more viable to use than he was in Melee (eventhough I wouldn't know about it since I never got into all the wave-dashing, L-cancelling shenanigans)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo was the reason I got interessed in Melee. It didn't had Diddy Kong, so I was dissapointed. Mewtwo made me think twice.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Mewtwo was the reason I got interessed in Melee. It didn't had Diddy Kong, so I was dissapointed. Mewtwo made me think twice.
The Mind-Games too. Don't forget the crazy mind games that one could preform with Mewtoo.

D

Deleted member

How would you guys feel if Mewtwo's awakened form got into the game (as well has his normal form), but had Lucario's moveset while Lucario was cut. His Normal form would still have his good ol' Melee moveset. Not saying it should happen or is likely to (I REALLY wouldn't want this to happen), but how would you feel about it?
That'd be terrible. There's no reason why Lucario can't stay and no reason why Mewtwo's awakened form can't get his own move sets. It'd do no favor to anyone.
Oh time for my first post, after lurking quiet a while now!

I do hope they bring Mewtwo back, back in the day when I had no internet whatsoever and didn't know how to unlock anything in Melee, it was a HUGE surprise after I saw Mewtwo approaching as a challenger, and I was convinced my game was bugging out because I had no idea what just happened. After unlocking him I was really happy, allthough he was not my best character to play as, I found it huge that he got in, and I was disappointed when he got cut from Brawl. With his new form he may or may not be guaranteed, I have no idea how Sakurai selects the roster and what conditions characters have to go through in order to get in.

I wouldn't mind it that much if Lucario will get cut or stay, I just hope we don't get like 6-7 pokemon characters, because I think that'd be overpresentating the franchise of it, but to each his own. Let's just hope they tweak his weight and movesets a little bit so he's more viable to use than he was in Melee (eventhough I wouldn't know about it since I never got into all the wave-dashing, L-cancelling shenanigans)
Technically, we already have six Pokémons as playable when counting transformations, but considering that Mewtwo was planned for Brawl, I have a hard time not seeing us get seven Pokémons this time around (and with the roster being Brawl's Pokémon + Mewtwo).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Somehow, your avatar makes this post better than it should. :laugh:
As if Aku was pointing out a fact.
I call him my Mewtoo/Mr. Game & Watch combo. I mean, where can you find a hilariously diabolical character with crazy transformations like a.... octopus?
*MIND-BLOWN*

D

Deleted member

I call him my Mewtoo/Mr. Game & Watch combo. I mean, where can you find a hilariously diabolical character with crazy transformations like a.... octopus?
*MIND-BLOWN*
Don't forget the GREAT. FLAMING. EYEBROWS!

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
There are a number of good reasons why we should see Mewtwo again:

1. He represents a Pokemon villain role.
2. He has a deeper story than pretty much any other Pokemon.
3. He's a classic Pokemon.
4. He's a veteran.
5. He's extremely popular.
6. He has already had a unique moveset.
7. He now has new moves like Psycho Cut, and a signature move in Psystrike to make use of.
8. His character is dynamically unique (fast, floaty, heavier and combines physical/magical abilities)
9. He now has a new form and a new movie role that has put him back into the spotlight for X and Y.

I honestly think he's a shoe-in. Let's hope Sakurai agrees.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Even before the new form was revealed he seemed like enough of a shoe-in. If he has the awakened form in the game as a final smash, alt form or something, then cool, but it's not necessarily something he "needs" to return.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Even before the new form was revealed he seemed like enough of a shoe-in. If he has the awakened form in the game as a final smash, alt form or something, then cool, but it's not necessarily something he "needs" to return.
Don't know if its me you're responding to, but I never said he needed the new form. Its just that if he's gotten a new form, Nintendo is clearly paying attention to him again (between that and Psystrike), which only further cements his comeback.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think it would be a good marketing strategy if they hyped Mewtwo's return since it goes along the promotion he's been having in the games, anime and other Pokémon merchandise.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I think it would be a good marketing strategy if they hyped Mewtwo's return since it goes along the promotion he's been having in the games, anime and other Pokémon merchandise.
Probably. And what better way to bolster that marketing than with a playable role in the next big Smash Bros.?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Probably. And what better way to bolster that marketing than with a playable role in the next big Smash Bros.?
My thoughts exactly.

I'm sure that Sakurai might be aware of Mewtwo's recent promotion since Gen V, which helps Mewtwo's chances to return.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
My thoughts exactly.

I'm sure that Sakurai might be aware of Mewtwo's recent promotion since Gen V, which helps Mewtwo's chances to return.
As long as he still levitates items and characters during his throws, I'm all for him. Honestly, that's always been his coolest feature. No other character utilizes telekinesis (although Pit and Mr. G&W break the laws of the physics).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Don't know if its me you're responding to, but I never said he needed the new form. Its just that if he's gotten a new form, Nintendo is clearly paying attention to him again (between that and Psystrike), which only further cements his comeback.
I wasn't saying you said he needed it or anything. Just making a point that I was gonna post eventually. I'll laugh though if he's revealed and then I see some anti-supporters says "He only got in SSB4 because of the new form because as proven by Melee, he can't do **** in his normal state".

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I wasn't saying you said he needed it or anything. Just making a point that I was gonna post eventually. I'll laugh though if he's revealed and then I see some anti-supporters says "He only got in SSB4 because of the new form because as proven by Melee, he can't do **** in his normal state".
I think I'd actually be repressing a tumor if anyone that dumb existed. Which, I'm sure does.

I honestly don't care one way or another what forme. Pretty boy/pantsless Mew3 would still satiate my need for a non-PG Pokémon.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hope regular badass Mewtwo will be higher tier than Awakening Form Mewtwo.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
hmm... I don't know, I kinda like the new forme.

...and yes I did watch the first pokemon movie, thank you very much. I actually own it.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I really don't see why they can't just do what they did with Wario, and have Classic/new forme as alts. If the rumors are true, there may even be more formes not revealed yet. I don't think having all of them as separate characters would be the wise thing to do (more Pokemon the better)

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Though I don't care that much- no matter the design, he's still :mewtwomelee:- I hope we get the old form, not this bizarre buu-like monster. He doesn't look like Mewtwo's greater form, but instead Mewtwo in the womb.

I really don't see why they can't just do what they did with Wario, and have Classic/new forme as alts. If the rumors are true, there may even be more formes not revealed yet. I don't think having all of them as separate characters would be the wise thing to do (more Pokemon the better)
I think their body shapes are way too different to be costumes of one another, especially with all the tail based moves.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm going to put down some stuff for Mewtwo, just to describe how it could work out...

Mewtwo (Standard Forme)
In its Standard Forme, Mewtwo offers a good balance between its offenses and defenses. It is also a heavier character, rivaling Wario's weight. However, despite being heavy, Mewtwo's Standard Forme is still rather floaty, making it vulnerable to being Star KO'd.

standard special - Shadow Ball: Mewtwo charges up a dark sphere, which follows a jagged path upon being released. The bigger the sphere, the more damage it'll deal, dealing up to 26% damage at full power. Mewtwo can hold onto the charge as well.

side special - Psycho Cut: Mewtwo releases a blade that's made of psychic energy. It has a long range, but it deals more damage at close range, dealing up to 14% damage, along with delivering moderate knockback. The further away the attack goes, the less damage it'll deliver, with its minimum damage being 3%, with almost no knockback.

up special - Teleport: Mewtwo teleports from one area to another, but it'll become helpless after using the move. Teleport's range is moderate, but it does not deal any damage, and the angle of the move can be controlled as well.

down special - Forme Change: Mewtwo focuses its energy, changing into its Awakened Forme.

Final Smash - Psystrike: Mewtwo fires a powerful psychic wave, damaging all opponents within range of the attack. The attack's range is long, but it deals more damage at close range, delivering as much as 50% damage, with good knockback, or a minimum of 5% damage from a distance, with almost no knockback.

Mewtwo (Awakened Forme)
In its Awakened Forme, Mewtwo's offensive strength gets buffed up, but this also has a negative impact on its defenses, making its shield less resilient than normal. Additionally, Mewtwo's Awakened Forme is much lighter, being as heavy as Peach. This basically makes Mewtwo's Awakened Forme much easier to KO at low damage levels, but the reduced weight also enables it to move faster than its Standard Forme.

standard special - Aura Sphere: Mewtwo charges up a sphere that's composed of aura. Unlike with Shadow Ball, this attack follows a straight line, and it can be charged up longer than Shadow Ball as well. However, the bigger the sphere, the shorter Aura Sphere's range is; this means that a weak Aura Sphere would travel farther than a strong Aura Sphere. At full power, Aura Sphere can deal up to 40% damage, but it would have a very short range, being way more efficient at close range. The charge can be held as well.

side special - Psycho Cut: Mewtwo releases a blade that's made of psychic energy. Unlike with the Standard Forme's Psycho Cut, however, the Awakened Forme's Psycho Cut can be charged up, and its power doesn't weaken at long range. However, the charge time is quite long (comparable to Roy's Flare Blade), and it can't be stored either. When fully charged, Mewtwo will immediately release the attack, which can deal up to 40% damage at full power, and offer massive knockback strength. The damage is much weaker if released sooner, however, making it an all or nothing attack.

up special - Teleport: Mewtwo teleports from one area to another, but it'll become helpless after using the move. Unlike the Standard Forme's Teleport, the Awakened Forme's Teleport creates an electrical explosion upon reappearing, which can deal up to 10% damage. The range of Teleport is the same as that of the Standard Forme, and the direction of the teleportation can still be controlled.

down special - Forme Change: Mewtwo reverts back to its Standard Forme.

Final Smash - Psystrike: Mewtwo fires a powerful psychic wave, damaging all opponents within range of the attack. The attack's range is much shorter with the Awakened Forme's variation, but its power is increased, dealing up to 60% damage at close range, along with almost always KOing opponents, regardless of their active items (similar to Marth's Critical Hit).

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Haven't thought of any ideas for Mewtwo's new form, but here's some moveset changes I'd like for him:

-First off, Teleport will remain the same as in Melee, but Mewtwo will now be able to warp through walls. If he remateralizes into a solid object, however, he'll be forcefully knocked out it for moderate damage. This could bring out whole new recovery strategies for him, such as "cutting corners" on Battlefield's ledges and foiling edgehoggers, but at the risk of warping into the wrong spot and getting stage spiked downwards.

-As for Disable, it should be charged by holding down the button, and when fully charged, the flash should actually disable a random special move of the opponent. Not sure how long the disable effect would last, but the affected character would flash a certain color, depending on which of the four moves is disabled. Hope it isn't a recovery move!

-If one of his moves is replaced by a new one, the new move should be Recover. Mewtwo would summon a barrier much like PK shield, and slowly restore his damage %, one by one, as long as you hold down the button input. It obviously wouldn't be easy to pull off in a crowd.

-Confusion should be more...flexible. Mewtwo should be able to throw opponents around as well as spin them around on their back.
The soul breaker glitch could return as well, just for lulz, although it wouldn't be a glitch anymore if it was intentionally programmed into SSB4. Hehe.

-His Final Smash should either be the form change, his signature move Psystrike, or Psychic.

All in all, Mewtwo would be buffed from Melee.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Haven't thought of any ideas for Mewtwo's new form, but here's some moveset changes I'd like for him:

-First off, Teleport will remain the same as in Melee, but Mewtwo will now be able to warp through walls. If he remateralizes into a solid object, however, he'll be forcefully knocked out it for moderate damage. This could bring out whole new recovery strategies for him, such as "cutting corners" on Battlefield's ledges and foiling edgehoggers, but at the risk of warping into the wrong spot and getting stage spiked downwards.
This is a really cool idea, but Mewtwo's recovery is good enough already to not need buffs, even awesome ones. This would be great, however, on teleporting characters without such a strong recovery: say, maybe Sheik?
As for Disable, I'd rather get rid of it entirely, but not for Recover. I don't like healing moves in fighting games unless it really fights their fighting style, like Ivysaur in P:m.
Confusion changes sound good.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

-As for Disable, it should be charged by holding down the button, and when fully charged, the flash should actually disable a random special move of the opponent. Not sure how long the disable effect would last, but the affected character would flash a certain color, depending on which of the four moves is disabled. Hope it isn't a recovery move!

-If one of his moves is replaced by a new one, the new move should be Recover. Mewtwo would summon a barrier much like PK shield, and slowly restore his damage %, one by one, as long as you hold down the button input. It obviously wouldn't be easy to pull off in a crowd.

-Confusion should be more...flexible. Mewtwo should be able to throw opponents around as well as spin them around on their back.
The soul breaker glitch could return as well, just for lulz, although it wouldn't be a glitch anymore if it was intentionally programmed into SSB4. Hehe.

-His Final Smash should either be the form change, his signature move Psystrike, or Psychic.

All in all, Mewtwo would be buffed from Melee.

These are great suggestions. And by that, I guess I mean they're basically the ones that I always thought would be cool.
- Teleport through walls, otherwise it's perfect.
- Disable can be charged to increase range and duration, turns off all specials for a short period of time (probably not long enough to consistently prevent them from triple jumping for recovery)
-Confusion launches projectiles and enemies in the direction indicated by the player (defaulting to throwing them sideways).

I'd rather just see his form to be an alternate costume and leave his final smash as something ridiculously powerful seeming. He could start floating in the air and the player could charge giant waves of psychic energy to chase his foes down and psystrike them to oblivion.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Disable should be much faster and only take away a random B special move from the enemy (excluding Up B) that is hit. The special move would appear as a glowing sphere above Mewtwo's head. The ability can be knocked out of Mewtwo much like Kirby's hat ability can be knocked out of him. As long as the sphere is above Mewtwo, the opponent cannot use the disabled move.

It would be nice if Mewtwo could have a sub-theme of debuffing the enemy. While Lucario becomes stronger throughout the match, Mewtwo would make his opponent weaker throughout the match.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
mewtwo is probably going to get in. or at least attempted to be put in. like he was in smash 64 AND brawl.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Moveset ideas:

B: Shadow Ball: Fires a powerful charged ball of shadow. Similar to Lucario's Aura Sphere, but travels slower and can be guided with the control stick. On impact, Mewtwo can tap B to warp to the opponent's spot (only within short range) and hit them with another weaker Shadow Ball with moderate knockback, but Mewtwo is left in helpless state if the user chooses to do this.

Side-B: Psycho Cut: Fires a psychic wave with moderate knockback and decent range. Moves in an unorthodox "crescent" shape that spins. If the opponent is hit while the wave is vertical, it has more damage and knockback, like a sweetspot.

Up-B: Teleport: Same as Melee.

Down-B: Awaken/Standard Form: Become awakening form Mewtwo, who is lighter, floatier and stronger with all B attacks, has better overall range for psychic-based moves and no physical moves. Vulnerable like Melee Mewtwo, but stronger and so is high risk/high reward like Mario and Sonic Guy suggested. Regular Mewtwo is heavier, equally fast, less floaty and capable of using physical moves, but lacks some of the range and power of Awakened Mewtwo.

Final Smash: Psystrike: Mario and Sonic Guy's idea.

In other words, I agree very strongly with Mario_and_Sonic_Guys ideas.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Moveset ideas:

B: Shadow Ball: Fires a powerful charged ball of shadow. Similar to Lucario's Aura Sphere, but travels slower and can be guided with the control stick. On impact, Mewtwo can tap B to warp to the opponent's spot (only within short range) and hit them with another weaker Shadow Ball with moderate knockback, but Mewtwo is left in helpless state if the user chooses to do this.

Side-B: Psycho Cut: Fires a psychic wave with moderate knockback and decent range. Moves in an unorthodox "crescent" shape that spins. If the opponent is hit while the wave is vertical, it has more damage and knockback, like a sweetspot.

Up-B: Teleport: Same as Melee.

Down-B: Awaken/Standard Form: Become awakening form Mewtwo, who is lighter, floatier and stronger with all B attacks, has better overall range for psychic-based moves and no physical moves. Vulnerable like Melee Mewtwo, but stronger and so is high risk/high reward like Mario and Sonic Guy suggested. Regular Mewtwo is heavier, equally fast, less floaty and capable of using physical moves, but lacks some of the range and power of Awakened Mewtwo.

Final Smash: Psystrike: Mario and Sonic Guy's idea.

In other words, I agree very strongly with Mario_and_Sonic_Guys ideas.
I like the Neutral B teleport, even if the move is pretty good as is. Side B in my opinion should be some form of ranged command grab- it fits his playstyle pretty well and would really bring home the fact that you're fighting a guy who's Psychic in the extreme. Since I don't really like the new forme much, I'd move Psycho Cut to down b. But for a moveset with the new forme, I think either yours or Mario_and_Sonic_Guys would be pretty close to ideal.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I like the Neutral B teleport, even if the move is pretty good as is. Side B in my opinion should be some form of ranged command grab- it fits his playstyle pretty well and would really bring home the fact that you're fighting a guy who's Psychic in the extreme. Since I don't really like the new forme much, I'd move Psycho Cut to down b. But for a moveset with the new forme, I think either yours or Mario_and_Sonic_Guys would be pretty close to ideal.
I don't mind his new form, but I know that it will be implemented in SSB4 to promote it. Thus, we can expect it to either be a form change or a Final Smash. Or even replace his original form, although that wouldn't make much sense and would make everyone pretty angry.

I'd rather see Psystrike as his Final Smash since it IS his new signature move. Although it could just be a B attack while Awakened form is his FS. No idea what kind of B attack it'd be. Maybe a homing attack that marks the opponent's current spot, materializes psychic orbs and closes in on them for good damage and hitstun/low knockback. It'd close in at a decent speed so that it would be useful but also possible to evade out of. If anything, it'd be his Side B and Psycho Cut would become his Down B. Having three different unique projectiles/ranged moves as his B's might end up being kinda cheap but it'd certainly be fun if balanced correctly. And Mewtwo is ideal to be the one to have that many.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mewtwo having fast dodges to reflect his speed stat makes more sense to me than physically being fast. He does need more weight, power, and better side and down specials.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Mewtwo having fast dodges to reflect his speed stat makes more sense to me than physically being fast. He does need more weight, power, and better side and down specials.
I agree, his real speed should lie in mindgames, because the name Mewtwo should be synonymous with mindgame. That should be his niche: unpredictable projectiles and movements.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind his new form, but I know that it will be implemented in SSB4 to promote it. Thus, we can expect it to either be a form change or a Final Smash. Or even replace his original form, although that wouldn't make much sense and would make everyone pretty angry.

I'd rather see Psystrike as his Final Smash since it IS his new signature move. Although it could just be a B attack while Awakened form is his FS. No idea what kind of B attack it'd be. Maybe a homing attack that marks the opponent's current spot, materializes psychic orbs and closes in on them for good damage and hitstun/low knockback. It'd close in at a decent speed so that it would be useful but also possible to evade out of. If anything, it'd be his Side B and Psycho Cut would become his Down B. Having three different unique projectiles/ranged moves as his B's might end up being kinda cheap but it'd certainly be fun if balanced correctly. And Mewtwo is ideal to be the one to have that many.
I really like the idea of Awakened form being the Final Smash. But I do think Psystrike should be in too, and I don't really want him too campy with three projectiles. So what if Psystrike functions as a superpowered version of Neutral B during the Awakened form transformation Final Smash? And then his B moves would have the Psycho Cut projectile we both want and the command grab I want.

D

Deleted member 212841

Man, that was great. I'm disappointed that he lost but dang was it close.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
It seems likely that Newtwo will make an appearance in Smash Bros.

The possibilities are as such:

-Newtwo is only referenced in a passive part of the game (stages, trophies)
-Newtwo shows up in a pokeball, or can otherwise affect gameplay in a non-fighter-related way (Like stage hazards)
-Newtwo is a move or Final Smash of Mewtwo's, but not actually playable, and he simply does the move as that form (like beast Ganondorf)
-Newtwo is Mewtwo's final smash, and only fully playable that way (like Warioman)
-Mewtwo transforms into Newtwo after doing his final smash, and probably vice-versa (Like Samus/Zero Suit Samus)
-Newtwo replaces one of Mewtwo's specials as a transformation (Like Zelda/Sheik)
-Both are included, but Newtwo is a completely independent fighter from Mewtwo (Like Link/Toon Link)
-Newtwo replaces Mewtwo completely, similar moveset
-Newtwo replaces Mewtwo completely, substantially different moveset

Text in green is what I think will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom