• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Personally, I see the fact that we haven't seen hide-nor-scale of MegaZard Y as a point in Mewtwo's favor. We have a neutral Mega (Lucario), and an Xclusive Mega (Zard X). Where's the Ysclusive Mega?

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I think the iron was not struck while hot, and now there is no appropriate time to reveal Mewtwo. E3 2013, the direct, and E3 2014 were all good times with a lot of windup, and it would have made enough sense to reveal Mewtwo and keep Greninja secret (especially since no one would have expected him. And he's a ninja, hello?!). However, the fact that we've gone this long tells me he will remain secret, as I've been saying for months. I expect a final, huge, almost-to-release cinematic to happen, but for some reason I just don't get the feeling Mewtwo will be a part of it.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I think the iron was not struck while hot, and now there is no appropriate time to reveal Mewtwo. E3 2013, the direct, and E3 2014 were all good times with a lot of windup, and it would have made enough sense to reveal Mewtwo and keep Greninja secret (especially since no one would have expected him. And he's a ninja, hello?!). However, the fact that we've gone this long tells me he will remain secret, as I've been saying for months. I expect a final, huge, almost-to-release cinematic to happen, but for some reason I just don't get the feeling Mewtwo will be a part of it.
Why would it not be "appropriate" to reveal him right before release? He's the single most requested character in the game by far. It's almost exactly the same situation we has with Ganondorf in Hyrule Warriors, and they saved him for a week before.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
...I'm still not seeing it.
Too many oddities preventing me from making the Mewtwo connection that damn near everyone else seemed to have made at first sight. The biggest one being.....why would Mewtwo be upside down?
Granted, I was in class during the Direct, so I knew about Greninja before I saw the trailer.

But if I had seen it first-hand during the Direct, my first reaction would've been "What the hell is that?" not "Holy crap it's Mewtwo!" I would've even guessed Greninja given that the thing did a hand seal before charging something reminiscent of the Rasenshuriken (and I knew it wouldn't actually be Naruto) and was featured in a trailer filled with Pokémon.
Well, we were all exploding from hype, so we weren't actually looking at it closely. All I remember seeing was a dark shape that looked like Mewtwo charging up a Psychic blast (I know it turned out to be Water Shuriken), and my hype exploding brain immediately started going, "Mewtwo confirmed!" I didn't even realize the fact that he was upside down until they showed him underneath the branch.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
...I'm still not seeing it.
you don't have your bulging entei eyes, ofc you dont lol Let's break your questions down then:

Too many oddities preventing me from making the Mewtwo connection that damn near everyone else seemed to have made at first sight.
Then let's break down these oddities:

.....why would Mewtwo be upside down?
Because psychics and poses and mystical meditation rituals, oh my. I don't know either. Maybe he meditates when he's not competing in Project M.

Granted, I was in class during the Direct, so I knew about Greninja before I saw the trailer.
I came from school and a friend in a chatroom spoiled it for me, so we're in the same position.

But if I had seen it first-hand during the Direct, my first reaction would've been "What the hell is that?" not "Holy crap it's Mewtwo!" I would've even guessed Greninja given that the thing did a hand seal before charging something reminiscent of the Rasenshuriken (and I knew it wouldn't actually be Naruto) and was featured in a trailer filled with Pokémon.
Blue is something associated with water and to a lesser extent the sky, so some of the more XY-savvy viewers could have guessed Greninja from the second shot of Water Shuriken charging. And if the third shot didn't give you away with the water droplets coming from it, well, that's the biggest surprise to anyone. Mewtwo has no moves(that he'd sensibly use) that glow blue at any point, except Aura Sphere, which belongs to Lucario in Sm4sh. I watched the trailer knowing Greninja was in, and there are way too many clues in retrospect that give away Greninja, but like @ ミスティック Speed ミスティック Speed ranted about a few pages ago and killed me over it, Greninja's body looks...off.

First off, NO WEBBING BETWEEN FINGERS. I don't care if Greninja's Protean ability lets it do stuff, but you can clearly see that there is no webbing between his fingers when he begins charging Water Shuriken, and it looks suspiciously like Mewtwo's render from Melee:

Upon further analysis, that makes no sense.

Now, look at Greninja's bottom, or if you look at it upside down, "chest".

To some extent, yes, it looks super exaggerated and could be a hint to Femtwo but what do I know, but Mewtwo is a humanoid 'Mon, after all, and as such is has humanly features like a chest. Like I said, looks exaggerated, but hey, I can dream, can't I?

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
you don't have your bulging entei eyes, ofc you dont lol Let's break your questions down then:

Because psychics and poses and mystical meditation rituals, oh my. I don't know either. Maybe he meditates when he's not competing in Project M.

I came from school and a friend in a chatroom spoiled it for me, so we're in the same position.

Blue is something associated with water and to a lesser extent the sky, so some of the more XY-savvy viewers could have guessed Greninja from the second shot of Water Shuriken charging. And if the third shot didn't give you away with the water droplets coming from it, well, that's the biggest surprise to anyone. Mewtwo has no moves(that he'd sensibly use) that glow blue at any point, except Aura Sphere, which belongs to Lucario in Sm4sh. I watched the trailer knowing Greninja was in, and there are way too many clues in retrospect that give away Greninja, but like @ ミスティック Speed ミスティック Speed ranted about a few pages ago and killed me over it, Greninja's body looks...off.

First off, NO WEBBING BETWEEN FINGERS. I don't care if Greninja's Protean ability lets it do stuff, but you can clearly see that there is no webbing between his fingers when he begins charging Water Shuriken, and it looks suspiciously like Mewtwo's render from Melee:

To some extent, yes, it looks super exaggerated and could be a hint to Femtwo but what do I know, but Mewtwo is a humanoid 'Mon, after all, and as such is has humanly features like a chest. Like I said, looks exaggerated, but hey, I can dream, can't I?
THIS....is the reason I know for a fact Mewtwo is in Smash. Also, I seriously thought they had given Aura Sphere to Mewtwo as well, since Aura Sphere is a move he learns now and Shadow Ball is just a TM. Even though he'd share the same move with Lucario, it didn't stop me from thinking it was him.
Why else would Sakurai tease us like this? (Also, I love that you're using my evidence here. xD)

Last edited:

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman

IT definitely is to bring out hype. They know we want Mewtwo... they know they must deliver.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
The protein theory doesn't make seance, yes a Protein Gren can change itself to a relevant type, but it's using a water attack, which is already it's type, so why would he change himself?

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Slightly off-topic, but:
What bulging Entei eyes?

He sometimes has a sig with these Entei in it. The first image has what look like bulging eyes to me.

The protein theory doesn't make seance, yes a Protein Gren can change itself to a relevant type, but it's using a water attack, which is already it's type, so why would he change himself?
Because biology and :troll: Sakurai, what else?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, the fingers are awkward and not frog-like in the silhouette, but they still don't scream "Mewtwo" to me.
If the hand seal didn't tip me off, I wouldn't have had any clue as to who it was until the Water Shuriken.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Yeah, the fingers are awkward and not frog-like in the silhouette, but they still don't scream "Mewtwo" to me.
If the hand seal didn't tip me off, I wouldn't have had any clue as to who it was until the Water Shuriken.
Well, I got that it was Greninja pretty early, but I have to agree. Those are not Mewtwo's fingers. Webbing or no, Mewtwo's fingers end in pretty large orbs that are notably absent from the trailer.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Well, I got that it was Greninja pretty early, but I have to agree. Those are not Mewtwo's fingers. Webbing or no, Mewtwo's fingers end in pretty large orbs that are notably absent from the trailer.
Yes, because Mewtwo had the large orbs in Melee...oh wait.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Yes, because Mewtwo had the large orbs in Melee...oh wait.
Good point, although I never even noticed. Regardless, I'd expect them to be there if he appeared now. We'll be getting Mewtwo updated for how he is currently portrayed in games, just like every other character.

D

Deleted member

Because Mewtwo hangs upside-down, has a barrel-chest and thin pelvis, and charges blue shuriken in Melee.....oh wait.

D

Deleted member

"Yo Sakurai, I'm really happy for you, I'mma let you finish but Mewtwo had one of the best movesets OF ALL TIME! Please Understand."
-Mewtwo Supporter Iwata

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Because Mewtwo hangs upside-down, has a barrel-chest and thin pelvis, and charges blue shuriken in Melee.....oh wait.
1) Geninja was never seen to spend time upside down. And "DUDE, HE IS A NINJA, NINJA STAYS UPSIDE DOWN!!!!" works exactly as the fact that psichic stays upside down.
2) My point wasn't that in the trailer that was Mewtwo, but Geninja was changed A LITTLE for resemblance Mewtwo.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
So I'm gonna preface this by saying that like a lot of you mewtwo is my most wanted character in smash.

I think you guys are kinda crazy to think the greninja trailer had any special meaning for mewtwo. I think it was just coincidence he reminded you of mewtwo for half a second.

There's a lot going for mewtwo, he's got a good chance of being in, but the trailer didn't mean a thing Imo

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
dont be clouded by your emotions for a character nor expect a character i want mewtwo as well but dont expect him to be in

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
So I'm gonna preface this by saying that like a lot of you mewtwo is my most wanted character in smash.

I think you guys are kinda crazy to think the greninja trailer had any special meaning for mewtwo. I think it was just coincidence he reminded you of mewtwo for half a second.

There's a lot going for mewtwo, he's got a good chance of being in, but the trailer didn't mean a thing Imo
His absence from the trailer is what means something. Not the trailer itself.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I know this is Smashboards suicide, but I wanted to bring my question to those who admire him most: What would be unique and "good" for Mewtwo in Smash 4, considering the amount of work needed for him may just be on tier of a newcomer?

I've been a big Pokemon fan since Kanto and into Kalos, and I was shocked in joy when I saw Mewtwo in Melee. When I used him, however... he was such a horrible disappointment in power and felt usefulness, to me. As someone who adore playing Ganondorf, I can handle characters most can see as "bad" or "poor to control." But... Mewtwo just felt like a really poorly handled fighter despite being an outstanding character. Project M made him better, but as that's non-canon, so to speak. As a character, he'd certainly bring hype. As a fighter, however, I just wonder what would be... "good" for him to be in the roster.

Don't take this as extreme hate, please. I just felt like Mewtwo in Melee was incredibly flawed as a fighter and I would like to see what the consensus would be as how to remedy this without relying on Project M as a jumping-off point.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
I've said it before, I'll say it again: Completely remove contact moves. Increase weight, retain speed and "floatiness." Focus moveset around range; Mewtwo's grab, for instance, should be a tether hold that does not reel in, compare to Spacegodzilla's grab in the fighting games. Special moves should all be ranged, the rest should be low-damage/high-knockback to guide opponents into Mewtwo's desired range. Build around Psyshock/Psystrike as the neutral Special. And, not gonna beat around the bush, Final Smash is definitely Mega Mewtwo, most likely Y.

And it'd be nice if Mewtwo's "physical" moves had spoon-shaped flashes in freezeframe, at least. :lick:

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
Project M made him better, but as that's non-canon, so to speak.
The only thing wrong with your statement....Project M replicated his moveset almost 1:1, and made hime a little less stiff is all. Its perfectly reasonable to view him as the "Mewtwo that should've been" Just like Project M is the "Brawl that should've been".

Burruni

Smash Hero
I've said it before, I'll say it again: Completely remove contact moves. Increase weight, retain speed and "floatiness." Focus moveset around range; Mewtwo's grab, for instance, should be a tether hold that does not reel in, compare to Spacegodzilla's grab in the fighting games. Special moves should all be ranged, the rest should be low-damage/high-knockback to guide opponents into Mewtwo's desired range. Build around Psyshock/Psystrike as the neutral Special. And, not gonna beat around the bush, Final Smash is definitely Mega Mewtwo, most likely Y.
And it'd be nice if Mewtwo's "physical" moves had spoon-shaped flashes in freezeframe, at least. :lick:
The only thing wrong with your statement....Project M replicated his moveset almost 1:1, and made hime a little less stiff is all. Its perfectly reasonable to view him as the "Mewtwo that should've been" Just like Project M is the "Brawl that should've been".
...Was P:M Mewtwo that similar to the Melee moveset? My bad, then. His moves must've really been altered in properties then to make them as they were... I will concede my point to that, Winchester.

To you, Eisendrachen, comes my main problem. If his moveset will be changed drastically, why have it really be Mewtwo? Just... I feel like his Melee moves were broken in the worst way, and a new moveset should be better delegated to someone new. I dunno, I'm gonna stand for my stance for Sceptile as a 6th representative, so if Mewtwo does return I won't be disappointed if he is still as poor as Melee, from my perspective.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
...Was P:M Mewtwo that similar to the Melee moveset? My bad, then. His moves must've really been altered in properties then to make them as they were... I will concede my point to that, Winchester.

To you, Eisendrachen, comes my main problem. If his moveset will be changed drastically, why have it really be Mewtwo? Just... I feel like his Melee moves were broken in the worst way, and a new moveset should be better delegated to someone new. I dunno, I'm gonna stand for my stance for Sceptile as a 6th representative, so if Mewtwo does return I won't be disappointed if he is still as poor as Melee, from my perspective.
Mewtwo was lifted from Melee and his moves tweaked to actually work.

Sceptile is unlikely enough, but what other Pokemon not called Zoroark(deconfirmed) to give a new moveset?

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
dont be clouded by your emotions for a character nor expect a character i want mewtwo as well but dont expect him to be in
Get a load of the Jedi over here.

Why would it not be "appropriate" to reveal him right before release? He's the single most requested character in the game by far..
Mewtwo is an almost unanimously desired character...within the dedicated Smash fandom. Sakurai's modus operandi isn't to reveal characters that would excite the fanboys specifically, it's to surprise with characters the average guy walking down the street would recognize, so to speak. I'm not saying Mewtwo isn't recognizable, but he's not universal in the way 3rd party characters are or characters from more casual games are. The exception is when a reveal is thematic. Greninja isn't on the level of Megaman or Pac-Man, but in the context of Pokemon he's the new and shiny thing. Unless we got the anticipated villains trailer or a trailer that focused primarily on him, you can't just throw Mewtwo in any cinematic. For instance, he wouldn't make a lot of sense appearing in the Fire Emblem cinematic. Mewtwo is hype, but that wouldn't be conducive to hype. He needs the right spotlight.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
One thing that makes me happy is that there is always that one Local game store that doesnt have to guy by the rules of other video game stores and sells the game a week or two before its actual release. And I am so getting this game ASAP. I'm checking on the store every 2 days..

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
To you, Eisendrachen, comes my main problem. If his moveset will be changed drastically, why have it really be Mewtwo?
Why shouldn't it be? I seem to recall Sakurai saying he's downplaying the clones... with Lucario's set being what it is, it follows that Mewtwo would get new stuff to compensate. Mind you, I have no problem with Shadow Ball as the main special attack, my point was to emphasize what Mewtwo is best known for, and that is killing you with his mind.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Why shouldn't it be? I seem to recall Sakurai saying he's downplaying the clones... with Lucario's set being what it is, it follows that Mewtwo would get new stuff to compensate. Mind you, I have no problem with Shadow Ball as the main special attack, my point was to emphasize what Mewtwo is best known for, and that is killing you with his mind.
Come to think of it, that would make a not-so-bad final smash.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Get a load of the Jedi over here.

Mewtwo is an almost unanimously desired character...within the dedicated Smash fandom. Sakurai's modus operandi isn't to reveal characters that would excite the fanboys specifically, it's to surprise with characters the average guy walking down the street would recognize, so to speak. I'm not saying Mewtwo isn't recognizable, but he's not universal in the way 3rd party characters are or characters from more casual games are. The exception is when a reveal is thematic. Greninja isn't on the level of Megaman or Pac-Man, but in the context of Pokemon he's the new and shiny thing. Unless we got the anticipated villains trailer or a trailer that focused primarily on him, you can't just throw Mewtwo in any cinematic. For instance, he wouldn't make a lot of sense appearing in the Fire Emblem cinematic. Mewtwo is hype, but that wouldn't be conducive to hype. He needs the right spotlight.
i know i feel like a wise kung fu master

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Omnipotency at its finest.

I have nothing else to say on the matter. Other than Mewtwo needing a Project M inspired lead to go off of, & building it up to that.

What would you guys suggest Mewtwo appear / look like for Sm4sh? Spoiler images to display your answers plz

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Omnipotency at its finest.

I have nothing else to say on the matter. Other than Mewtwo needing a Project M inspired lead to go off of, & building it up to that.

What would you guys suggest Mewtwo appear / look like for Sm4sh? Spoiler images to display your answers plz

I think this design has the highest chance of getting in Sm4sh.

That doesn't mean anything at all. I Guess we can hope its a good sign he isn't in the pokeball crowd
http://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwo.324191/page-156#post-17211723

I think this post would like to have a word with you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom