• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I'm going to try to make videos on each character on my top 5 list, including Mewtwo, however, I'm wondering if I should put it all in 1 video or not...

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I really hope that's the case, not a demotion to assist trophy or Pokeball, or god forbid Lucario alternate costume would just be insulting
Fixed ;)
Well, he could just be a trophy. Like in Brawl.
It's settlied then, I can't wait to see Mewtwo, Femtwo, MegafemtwoY & MegaMantwoX MegamewtwoX trophies. :shades:
Oh, he will be a trophy alright. One that you unlock after you beat classic/adventure/all-star mode.
When you think about it. . .SSB's Master Hand picking up the characters like dolls & "3, 2, 1, snap" magic they're alive. . .to throwing out random trophies & they come to life fighting in the fray, I'm totally fine with a Mewtwo Trophy! Even more Amiibo inspiration! Then Master Hand snaps his fingers & de-confirms Mewtwo back into a trophy.
Mewtwo trophy unlockable from Classic mode confirmed.:shades:

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
I'll take care of this, unless someone already is.

@Con0rrrr

1. He wasn't present in Brawl as a playable character due to technical difficulties and time restraints. (Someone link this for me, please)

2. With the release of Pokemon X and Y, his popularity has spiked. He even got new forms. He was also the only Pokemon besides Charizard to get 2 separate forms.

3. There was also a recent movie "Genesect and the Legend Awakened" where Mewtwo was a main character. Another recent anime appearance was in "Pokemon Origins" as the last pokemon Red caught. I believe that the latter is a bit too recent to be considered, though.

4. During an interview involving Pokemon X and Y, someone asked "Is there a possibility that these new forms of Mewtwo will be included in the new Smash Brothers game?" Sakurai was in the audience and replied, after some hesitation, "We are thinking about it." This interview took place after the entire roster had been decided already. Other than this, there hasn't been a single hint of Mewtwo's involvement in Sm4sh.
Full article here: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/mewtwo-may-return-in-next-smash-bros#.U91btPldW3g

5. Mewtwo did not make an appearance in the Greninja trailer as one of the background Pokemon. Surely if Mewtwo wasn't a playable character, he would at least be a Pokeball pokemon. (This is assuming the fact that every Pokemon shown in the beginning of that trailer is a Pokeball summon)

Also relating to the Greninja trailer: Greninja's silhouette was altered during the trailer to deceive viewers. Altered suspiciously to nearly match Mewtwo's anatomy. There's no way to confirm if this was intentional or not. Either way, Sakurai is very much aware of Mewtwo's popularity and doing this was more than likely a tease.

6. This isn't solid evidence, by any means, but the Pokemon and Mario franchises have always had an equal amount of representatives in Smash. An extra Pokemon character is needed for that to be true this time around. Who else but Mewtwo?

7. In a recent popularity poll, Mewtwo was voted #2 in a list of the top 100 Pokemon. Charizard being #1.
Here's a link to the poll: http://www.ign.com/top/pokemon

8. There was also a recent Miiverse poll asking fans what veterans they wanted to return to the next game. These were the results:

9. Mewtwo has little competition outside of the oh-so-relevant Zoroark, the similarly promoted Genesect, and the theorized Grass starter Sceptile. The former two have been shown in trailers and Pokeballs respectively, thus disconfirming them. Sceptile has the Grass, Water, Fire theory going for it plus Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire coming out, but it's a long stretch considering the announcement of those games is fairly recent.

If I missed any good points. Someone feel free to point them out. I will definitely consider adding them to the list.

Mewtwo for Sm4sh!!!

I hope for this post to be moved to the first page. I plan on continually updating it.
You forgot the "six pokemon" bit. its crucial for those still hanging on to five.

Also... (warning, slight off topic ahead)
What's up with the sudden website change in my absence? Things got kinda fancy while I was gone.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
You forgot the "six pokemon" bit. its crucial for those still hanging on to five.

Also... (warning, slight off topic ahead)
What's up with the sudden website change in my absence? Things got kinda fancy while I was gone.
The "six pokemon" slot completion makes too much sense, & it's heavily in favor for the game logic for Pokemon's games having 6 pokemon in a party, but there's a few reasons that could shoot the six pokemon slots prediction out of the barrel if you wanna discuss about it in PM or on here since it pertains to Mewtwo's chances in the roster..

Still I agree, it's a point worth mentioning @ Wise Multishine Wise Multishine

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
The "six pokemon" slot completion makes too much sense, & it's heavily in favor for the game logic for Pokemon's games having 6 pokemon in a party, but there's a few reasons that could shoot the six pokemon slots prediction out of the barrel if you wanna discuss about it in PM or on here since it pertains to Mewtwo's chances in the roster..

Still I agree, it's a point worth mentioning @ Wise Multishine Wise Multishine
How do you think I should word it?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I just crack a smile when I see the words, "a lot of characters" & then only see Roy & Mewtwo cut = 2. Then again that's simple-minded counting without thinking of the hours & hours & hours & hours of game developing for the characters & SSE.
My top 5 character wish list.
Ooooh, radical since it's a wish list you can easily make a top 5 wishlist in one video, just be straight to the point rehearse w.e you'll say about your 5 Christmas presents for Sm4sh, & *Super Smash Bros. sound beating Break the Targets!* COMPLETE!
How do you think I should word it?
Hmmm. . .it's kind of vague but here goes:

*10. Due to the lack of competition Mewtwo has with fighting for the empty 2 remaining slots to be confirmed in Sm4sh, his chances of filling in the "six pokemon party slots" is practically assured.

Something like that anyways you don't have to directly quote it.:nervous:

Edited = *

Last edited:

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
I just crack a smile when I see the words, "a lot of characters" & then only see Roy & Mewtwo cut = 2. Then again that's simple-minded counting without thinking of the hours & hours & hours & hours of game developing for the characters & SSE.

Ooooh, radical since it's a wish list you can easily make a top 5 wishlist in one video, just be straight to the point rehearse w.e you'll say about your 5 Christmas presents for Sm4sh, & *Super Smash Bros. sound beating Break the Targets!* COMPLETE!

Hmmm. . .it's kind of vague but here goes:

*10. Due to the lack of competition Mewtwo has with fighting for the empty 2 remaining slots to be confirmed in Sm4sh, his chances of filling in the "six pokemon party slots" is practically assured.

Something like that anyways you don't have to directly quote it.:nervous:

Edited = *
Alrighty. I tweaked #6 for it.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Come to think of it, if the rumors about Mewtwo being planned for SSB64 are true as well, that means Mewtwo has literally been at least planned for every Smash Bros. game. Now if only Meowth had been so lucky to make it into one of them.:052:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I think if that video is correct about Mewtwo being intended for N64, then that really makes me mad, why would they put that stupid piece of garbage Jigglypuff in, its freaken Mewtwo, just put him in , Pokémon got two characters anyway, and they should of been Pikachu and Mewtwo.

Jigglypuff shouldn't even be playable in any Super Smash Bros game, now's the time to fix that, get rid of stupid Jigglypuff in favor of Mewtwo, or put both in, I don't mind Jigglypuff being in if Mewtwo's in, I rather enjoy beating Jigglypuff up in every Super Smash Bros game he's in, now if you excuse me, I'm going to beat up on Jigglypuff some more in Melee.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I think if that video is correct about Mewtwo being intended for N64, then that really makes me mad, why would they put that stupid piece of garbage Jigglypuff in, its freaken Mewtwo, just put him in , Pokémon got two characters anyway, and they should of been Pikachu and Mewtwo.

Jigglypuff shouldn't even be playable in any Super Smash Bros game, now's the time to fix that, get rid of stupid Jigglypuff in favor of Mewtwo, or put both in, I don't mind Jigglypuff being in if Mewtwo's in, I rather enjoy beating Jigglypuff up in every Super Smash Bros game he's in, now if you excuse me, I'm going to beat up on Jigglypuff some more in Melee.
This.
I do like Jigglypuff, but if she's in over Mewtwo....I'm going to be pissed.
If it's between those two, please Sakurai, just scrap the puffball already. :facepalm:

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026

All Mewtwo inclusion facts are here.

That video got me thinking about a connection between Bowser, Mewtwo, and Dedede.

In 64: :bowser2::dedede:&:mewtwopm: were all cut, reasoning varying due to factors such as hardware limitations, time constraints, or the idea Sakurai didn't want any "villainous" characters in the game.

In Melee: :bowsermelee::mewtwomelee: with :dedede: considered but cut, the claim I usually hear is that Dedede was planned to be in international releases if Intelligent Systems didn't give the ok for :marthmelee: to be included.

In Brawl: :bowser2::dedede: with :mewtwopm: cut due to reasons already stated by Steelia and Omnireader, so I won't say anything.

In SSB4: :4bowser::4dedede: are the only two characters revealed so far that fill the role of a villain/anti-hero/final boss, which you can argue Mewtwo can fall into so perhaps this may be the time the original cuts will be reunited, maybe another Event Match 51 guys? Sorry Ganondorf.

But yeah, just something that came to me that I'd like to share with you guys; just don't invest too much faith into this.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

I think Mewtwo wasn't in 64 due to technical limitations. Jigglypuff is probably much easier to implement than Mewtwo due to Mewtwo using a lot of effects with his attacks. The 64 probably couldn't handle it (just a guess).

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I think Mewtwo wasn't in 64 due to technical limitations. Jigglypuff is probably much easier to implement than Mewtwo due to Mewtwo using a lot of effects with his attacks. The 64 probably couldn't handle it (just a guess).
You forgot the ability to copy paste Kirby's model to use for Jiggly's.

Hilarious, considering what Kirby does.

But still irritating.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
In SSB4: :4bowser::4dedede: are the only two characters revealed so far that fill the role of a villain/anti-hero/final boss, which you can argue Mewtwo can fall into so perhaps this may be the time the original cuts will be reunited, maybe another Event Match 51 guys? Sorry Ganondorf.
Then King Dedede and Mewtwo will be included but Bowser will be cut from SSB4 due to being too op :awesome:

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
You forgot the ability to copy paste Kirby's model to use for Jiggly's.

Hilarious, considering what Kirby does.

But still irritating.
Yeah I heard that was the main reason they included Jiggy. Maybe she was more popular back then, but now she really isn't relevant at all. I like Jiggy, but Mewtwo is way more relevant thank to Pokemon X and Y plus Mega Evolution.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
"But muh fairy type representation and original 12!"

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The fairy typing is like, the only thing going for her.
In all seriousness I doubt that's really gonna change her Smash gameplay much, if at all.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
The fairy typing is like, the only thing going for her.
"Original 12" status, at this moment, isn't enough to save Jigglypuff a slot on the roster, and neither are its new Fairy typing nor its new ability ("Competitive", lol) (I used to think this was the case; I still think however that Jigglypuff will get a new special move or Final Smash related to the Fairy-type). It's just not popular with Pokemon players anymore, especially in America. It doesn't help that Jigglypuff is only really competitively viable in Melee; its nerfs in Brawl made it unpopular among not only casuals, but competitive players as well.

However, among casual gamers in general (and even people who only watched the anime in its early stages and a few of the early movies), it's still very recognizable. Jigglypuff's gender is mostly ambiguous (75% of them are female, and 25% of them are male), but casuals normally apply feminine pronouns to it. This, in a small way, helps its chances, especially since there's a higher demand for female characters. I also think Jigglypuff will get in if only because it's easy to design and implement, and there's really no reason to cut any character now that we won't be worrying about the SSE hogging development and space.

On Mewtwo, I think it's virtually guaranteed at this moment. Smash 4 is primed to have well over 50 characters (and if development rumors are true, over 60), and Mewtwo would be an ideal re-addition. Consider that Mewtwo was planned in Brawl but cut due to time constraints as stated before here, and its removal wasn't missed much (at least not among competitive players) because of how poorly designed it was in Melee (tall and light with a mostly weak moveset, kind of like Zelda). Mewtwo also got two Mega Evolutions and appears as an available legendary in X & Y, attributes acting as strong attestations to its pertinence.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
"Original 12" status, at this moment, isn't enough to save Jigglypuff a slot on the roster, and neither are its new Fairy typing nor its new ability ("Competitive", lol)

However, among casual gamers in general (and even people who only watched the anime in its early stages and a few of the early movies), it's still very recognizable. Jigglypuff's gender is mostly ambiguous (75% of them are female, and 25% of them are male), but casuals normally apply feminine pronouns to it. This, in a small way, helps its chances, especially since there's a higher demand for female characters. I also think Jigglypuff will get in if only because it's easy to design and implement, and there's really no reason to cut any character now that we won't be worrying about the SSE hogging development and space.
I personally hate the O12 argument. She's worthless. And "female characters" in my opinion do not necessarily include creatures who are explicitly female, rather humans. Also, Smash 4 at present has Peach, Fem Villager, Zelda, Rosalina, WFT, Shiek, Samus, ZSS, Palutena, Lucina, and Female Robin, making for 11 females, which is rather high for a fighting game. Imagine when Femtwo gets in :troll:

Zx2963

Smash Journeyman
"Original 12" status, at this moment, isn't enough to save Jigglypuff a slot on the roster, and neither are its new Fairy typing nor its new ability ("Competitive", lol) (I used to think this was the case; I still think however that Jigglypuff will get a new special move or Final Smash related to the Fairy-type). It's just not popular with Pokemon players anymore, especially in America. It doesn't help that Jigglypuff is only really competitively viable in Melee; its nerfs in Brawl made it unpopular among not only casuals, but competitive players as well.

On Mewtwo, I think it's virtually guaranteed at this moment. Smash 4 is primed to have well over 50 characters (and if development rumors are true, over 60), and Mewtwo would be an ideal re-addition. Consider that Mewtwo was planned in Brawl but cut due to time constraints as stated before here, and its removal wasn't missed much (at least not among competitive players) because of how poorly designed it was in Melee (tall and light with a mostly weak moveset, kind of like Zelda). Mewtwo also got two Mega Evolutions and appears as an available legendary in X & Y, attributes acting as strong attestations to its pertinence.
50 or 60!? I heard the roster would be smaller then Brawl though...

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
I think Jiggs unique playstyle could be one of the main reasons for Sakurai to keep her (not because of the O12 stuff)... He loves unique characters and BTW, Mewtwo (as Jiggs) is one of those unique characters with unique playstyle/moveset.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Besides, to be fair, none of us liked it when people were saying Mewtwo was irrelevant before mega-evolutions/gen 6 happened, so doesn't really paint a good picture when we're pulling the same relevancy card against Jigglypuff... and that's coming from someone who wouldn't mind seeing her cut.

Last edited:

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
The only things that makes me worry about Mewtwo returning is Rosalina. Her large size and floaty nature is very reminiscent of Mewtwo, and it seems like they took a lot of things from Snake and distributed them across the game like the grenade on Sheik and the new missile item so if they did want to remove Mewtwo (On purpose this time) it would make sense for them to do the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I don't want this to be the case but if you watch Rosalina gameplay Mewtwo starts to look a little bit less unique.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
A 60+ roster would be almost too perfect a surprise, as everyone is expecting Sakurai to follow his "50 is a good number" statement, yet 50 just doesn't seem to have enough room in it for all or even most of Smashboard's most-wanted. I believe this, combined with wariness caused by Brawl's cutting of characters, has fostered the anticipation of a lackluster roster increase.

Still, I think if we were getting a roster of over 55 we would be seeing less deconfirmations.

Steelia

Smash Champion
50 or 60!? I heard the roster would be smaller then Brawl though...
...Check out the official site sometime. They've revealed 36 characters so far. SSBB had 39. I'm pretty sure it'll be larger than SSBB. :d

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I have full confidence the roster size will break 50. Anything higher than 54 I'm not so sure about but I wouldn't complain about it!
Hasn't Sakurai mentioned that purin is his favorite pokemon? I thought I heard that somewhere from a source but I don't remember it. Her easy-to-make model & moves plus his favoritism of her is more than enough reason besides the legendary O12 status & Fairy typing which to me isn't that much of an impact. However purin being his favorite he just might make the most of that fairy type for her!

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Then King Dedede and Mewtwo will be included but Bowser will be cut from SSB4 due to being too op :awesome:
Ahhhh, you got me!

EDIT:

In regards to Jiggs, she was really a contemporary flavor at the time but she was easier to implement than Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo since she shared a lot of similarities to Kirby.

But nowadays, it didn't get anything big compared to M2, Luke, or Charizard aside from Fairy-typing. Though, it was featured in Pokemon Conquest alongside those three and Pikachu as well (I think).

I don't think Jiggs is going to be cut; she and Mewtwo can round out the full party perfectly, especially if Zelda may get a new rep. based on the Trophy Quiz theory (assuming Ganondorf is coming back).

Remember False Palutena resulted in Palutena and Tiki resulted in Lucina / Robin. I'm fairly certain both franchise can hit six reps. and as the Chrom interview stated, Sakurai doesn't care too much about how many reps. a franchise gets, IIRC,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom