• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
Master Hand and Crazy Hand?
Come on now....you had me at least a "little" bit before I saw that. >>
Master hand and Crazy hand were in the panels where they show the bosses i believe.

Still think it's fake sadly enough, would have been a great roster! (btw the part where you see Falco he scrolls down a bit and there you see a part of a screenshot that the Fox page has)

Steelia

Smash Champion
Sakurai's not that stupid. Why would he keep images of yet-to-be-revealed newcomers/veteran stored on the site? That's just begging for people to find them in the code. That's one of the first things I tried doing when the site was up anyway :p

Mewter

Smash Master
Fake but nice to look at.
Images used for characters already exist and are easily found on Google (examples: Shadow Lugia and Slippy).

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I think it's meant to be funny, I sure laughed as the video went on, but I can see why people would get angry by thinking it's a real attempt at leaking.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Hopefully more accurate to the anime. I didn't think his Melee appearance was a perfect model. I also hope he stands more upright.
Yeah the one in Melee looked too cartoony. If they can use more realistic models like Snake/ZSS/Zelda/Shiek there's no reason why Mewtwo shouldn't look closer to how he looked in the first movie.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Yeah the one in Melee looked too cartoony. If they can use more realistic models like Snake/ZSS/Zelda/Shiek there's no reason why Mewtwo shouldn't look closer to how he looked in the first movie.
is your avatar change meant to symbolize this :troll:

Serious note though: Most of Melee looked cartoony to begin with. At the time it made sense, to be fair.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I think the model would be closer to his appearance in XY if he is in the game.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
The Melee model just had really weird proportions. I like Mewtwo's M16 design more so I hope he is based around that.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Rofl at Shadow Lugia.

Sakurai played that game?!
But in all seriousness. . .

Shadow Lugia would be a more dope boss battle for the Pkmn universe than Rayquaza. That dragon was lying to itself anyways. It's a sky dragon & was on the ground for majority of the Boss fight.

Edit: Is it bad that I was more hyped from that fake video of Shadow Lugia more than all of those playable characters including Mewtwo Falco King K. Rool Ridley & the other bosses?

Double Edit: Shadow Pokemon?. . .Shadow Ball?. . .Mewtwo confirmed:shades:

Last edited:

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
This was probably mentioned already, but didn't Sakurai respond to a reporter asking him if Mewtwo was in the game or not by saying "We are thinking about it?" What could this mean in Sakurai's language? It's either a definite "yes", or a cautious "no."

I say "cautious no" because obviously he doesn't want to anger any fans and lose potential sales. I'm honestly surprised he even responded to such a question.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mewtwo looked in Melee as it did in the games.
Specifically in the artwork.

Mewtwo in Smash 4 would look more like the modern artwork.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This was probably mentioned already, but didn't Sakurai respond to a reporter asking him if Mewtwo was in the game or not by saying "We are thinking about it?" What could this mean in Sakurai's language? It's either a definite "yes", or a cautious "no."

I say "cautious no" because obviously he doesn't want to anger any fans and lose potential sales. I'm honestly surprised he even responded to such a question.
It's true that it could be a "cautious no," which would certainly be tragic...

But Sakurai never had to make that statement in the first place. He simply happened to be present when people were asking questions about Mega Mewtwo in Smash during an X and Y roundtable. If he really didn't want to anger fans, the best move would have been to remain silent on the matter. Instead, he says that he's "thinking about it."

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Mewtwo looked in Melee as it did in the games.
Specifically in the artwork.

Mewtwo in Smash 4 would look more like the modern artwork.
Personally I'd prefer to see movie one Mewtwo. He looks more humanoid.

Sakurai would probably be against it though.

The Melee model just had really weird proportions. I like Mewtwo's M16 design more so I hope he is based around that.
Mehhhhhhhhh maybe as a female alt. I don't like fem Mewtwo. Not because he looks feminine, but I'm not used to seeing him like that.

is your avatar change meant to symbolize this :troll:

Serious note though: Most of Melee looked cartoony to begin with. At the time it made sense, to be fair.
Agreed. It was fair. No major complaints here.

(As for the avatar, sure, maybe? I have always liked the idea of a realistic Mewtwo because it would be horrifying - in a good way.)

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Plus what people don't understand is that it was about Mewtwo's Mega.

Not Mewtwo himself.
Well, that fact does come with a few problems. Since the question was whether or not Mega Mewtwo would appear in Smash (not necessarily as playable), Sakurai's response could mean that Mega Mewtwo has a role in the game, which could be that of Pokeball summon or a boss of sorts.

...Though just to be clear, I am merely presenting that as a possibility. I find such a scenario to be incredibly unlikely based on what we know.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Well, that fact does come with a few problems. Since the question was whether or not Mega Mewtwo would appear in Smash (not necessarily as playable), Sakurai's response could mean that Mega Mewtwo has a role in the game, which could be that of Pokeball summon or a boss of sorts.

...Though just to be clear, I am merely presenting that as a possibility. I find such a scenario to be incredibly unlikely based on what we know.
Yeah, not that I would mind (if we had to choose between MMY/X or no Mewtwo at all) but it wouldn't really make sense to add Mega Mewtwo Y/X without Mewtwo...

Last edited:

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
The situation with the "we are thinking about it " no matter how you slice it is Sakurai's way of sneaking in some extra hype. The words didn't have to be like that and the people in the roundtable could have just said "we aren't aloud to talk about ssb4 before Sakurai says so' and that would have bean it. but Sakurai felt like he had to step in. You can take this anyway you want it, but the cleat answer is being a subtle hint which Sakurai loves so much.

With the Direct statement of Mewtwo's mega, I don't know what to say. but ill say what has bean said before on this thread, it would be weird to have mega Mewtwo in the game and not Mewtwo.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
The situation with the "we are thinking about it " no matter how you slice it is Sakurai's way of sneaking in some extra hype. The words didn't have to be like that and the people in the roundtable could have just said "we aren't aloud to talk about ssb4 before Sakurai says so' and that would have bean it. but Sakurai felt like he had to step in. You can take this anyway you want it, but the cleat answer is being a subtle hint which Sakurai loves so much.

With the Direct statement of Mewtwo's mega, I don't know what to say. but ill say what has bean said before on this thread, it would be weird to have mega Mewtwo in the game and not Mewtwo.
100% agree. To expand on that, if Mewtwo wasn't in the game and Sakurai was just being nice to the audience member, he would have said something like "no comment [laughs]" or wouldn't have answered at all. The way he said it was very "Sakurai" as @ Thereallucario Thereallucario mentioned with his trolly hints; why would he create hype when he knows how much it would devastate fans if Mewtwo turns out not being in the game? And it's not like he didn't have time to think before reacting, (there was a pause in that supposedly awkward Q&A between the Pokemon X/Y devs and the questioner) so it definitely wasn't a spur of the moment pity response.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
100% agree. To expand on that, if Mewtwo wasn't in the game and Sakurai was just being nice to the audience member, he would have said something like "no comment [laughs]" or wouldn't have answered at all. The way he said it was very "Sakurai" as @ Thereallucario Thereallucario mentioned with his trolly hints; why would he create hype when he knows how much it would devastate fans if Mewtwo turns out not being in the game? And it's not like he didn't have time to think before reacting, (there was a pause in that supposedly awkward Q&A between the Pokemon X/Y devs and the questioner) so it definitely wasn't a spur of the moment pity response.
In my opinion, at that point in time, when Sakurai made that comment, Mewtwo was in development as a character for the game. If he, for whatever reason, does not make it to the final version of Smash 4 then something would have happened between now and that date which caused Mewtwo to be cut from the roster.

DavingTheWorld

Smash Rookie
NNID
DavingTheWorld
I would like to see Mewtwo & Mew make an appearance. And have their jump moves also be attacks. Kind of like in the first Pokemon movie when they were in purple/pink bubbles (charging at each other) that have the properties of like the bumper in SSBB. That would need balancing.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
In my opinion, at that point in time, when Sakurai made that comment, Mewtwo was in development as a character for the game. If he, for whatever reason, does not make it to the final version of Smash 4 then something would have happened between now and that date which caused Mewtwo to be cut from the roster.
This is possible. The popular theory is that the roster was completed 2 years ago, which may just be a mistranslation when he was referring to most of the roster being chosen a couple years ago. If it is true though, then odds are Sakurai was intentionally being coy because he is in the game. If it is true and Mewtwo wasn't picked but was being worked on at the time, I still highly doubt he'd be left out, unless there's was something catastrophic that happened which prevented his development, and even that is unlikely.The reason why I think that is, from what I remember correctly, Sakurai said something like they were still "looking into" characters this year.

To me at least, that means they would have had time to finish Mewtwo if they were looking for other potentials this year. Maybe he could have been talking about DLC despite him shying away from the question. And if you take into consideration the other evidence, it seems more likely that he's gonna be in the main roster. If all else fails, DLC is still possible :)

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
If Sakurai is stressed about making the game...imagine the fan reactions of Mewtwo Ridley or other popular characters not being playable.Mid September is going to be fun...

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
If Sakurai is stressed about making the game...imagine the fan reactions of Mewtwo Ridley or other popular characters not being playable.Mid September is going to be fun...
Good point! I can't wait.. Speaking of fun, let's just take a breather for a sec and laugh - I thought this video was hilarious:

Warning: Mild Language ahead.

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Good point! I can't wait.. Speaking of fun, let's just take a breather for a sec and laugh - I thought this video was hilarious:

Warning: Mild Language ahead.
This thing is AMAZING.

Anyway, on the topic of Mewtwo: I really hope my (kind of) main from Melee comes back... So far we haven't seen any mega evolutions that weren't final smashes (we only saw mCharizard and MLucario, so...), so i really hope Mewtwo makes it in... But I'm pretty sure if he is not in the starting roster it will be DLC , if Sakurai ever chooses to make characters as DLC.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
This thing is AMAZING.

Anyway, on the topic of Mewtwo: I really hope my (kind of) main from Melee comes back... So far we haven't seen any mega evolutions that weren't final smashes (we only saw mCharizard and MLucario, so...), so i really hope Mewtwo makes it in... But I'm pretty sure if he is not in the starting roster it will be DLC , if Sakurai ever chooses to make characters as DLC.
To be fair, we don't know for sure if Lucario's FS is his mega form. Based on the Smash Direct it doesn't seem like it is.

Steelia

Smash Champion
But I'm pretty sure if he is not in the starting roster it will be DLC , if Sakurai ever chooses to make characters as DLC.
Wouldn't doubt this at all. I have a hunch that we'll be getting 3DS DLC chars up until the release of Smash Wii U, just to keep hype for that particular version fresh (and include those 3DS DLC chars as final roster fighters for Wii U Smash). I'm kinda hoping Mewtwo wouldn't be used for what would be a rather sleazy marketing tactic, especially if you'd have to pay, but I wouldn't put it past them to use his popularity to an advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom