• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I would prefer that Mewtwo keeps Teleport.

In fact, I don't want a whole lot of his moveset changed, just buffs where they are due and maybe Psystrike instead of Shadow Ball.

Also tail attacks may have to go if Mewtwo Y is the Final Smash.
Mewtwo's Final Smash could have unique animations. It might not fit in line with the other evolutionary lines, but there's nothing really saying it can't be done. What if Mewtwo mega evolves and gains the ability to fly around similar to Dragon Yoshi or Diddy's FS?

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Mewtwo's Final Smash could have unique animations. It might not fit in line with the other evolutionary lines, but there's nothing really saying it can't be done. What if Mewtwo mega evolves and gains the ability to fly around similar to Dragon Yoshi or Diddy's FS?
That could work. Perhaps you shoot a single projectile similar to Yoshi and Diddy...that would work.

LonelyJaguar

Smash Cadet
Just branching off on a random tangent here, but have any of you guys seen the Dark Samus assist trophy in action? If Mewtwo played anything like that, I'd be happy. That would definitely set it apart from Lucario! They show it during day 3 of the Nintendo Treehouse E3 event. Dark Samus attacks rapidly with what could be a side B or side smash, and then summons three giant orbs that homes in on characters which what could be a neutral B.
But Mewtwo is already set really far apart from Lucario. They're almost nothing alike.
I do like the Dark Samus idea though, and I think it'd work best with his forward throw. He could lift the enemy up like in Melee but keep them there while shooting those 3 dark orbs. But since that's already Dark Samus' thing, I doubt they'd make it very similar.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Regarding his final smash, I'd be fine with a MMY controllable transformation. The idea of mega evolution controllable final smashes being the same as the Landmaster fiasco doesn't sit well with me. Sure, it's the same type of final smash, but the moves are all still going to be unique to the character. It's not like Mewtwo, Lucario, and Charizard are ALL going to mega evolve into Mega Charizard X. THAT would be the same as the Landmaster fiasco.

Never Forget

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Regarding his final smash, I'd be fine with a MMY controllable transformation. The idea of mega evolution controllable final smashes being the same as the Landmaster fiasco doesn't sit well with me. Sure, it's the same type of final smash, but the moves are all still going to be unique to the character. It's not like Mewtwo, Lucario, and Charizard are ALL going to mega evolve into Mega Charizard X. THAT would be the same as the Landmaster fiasco.

Never Forget
Yeah, I know that it's not the same, but it's having the same idea behind it that bugs me. It seems like the a ton of final smashes so far are transformations. Clones have never bugged me,
Especially not
it's just that Pokemon is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises, and I don't want to see all final smashes have the same basis. I'm not very good at explaining it, I hope you know what I'm trying to say.

Amazing picture btw

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Teleport is a great up special in my opinion. If they had to do something different maybe levitating?
Wait, are we talking about his recovery move, teleport, or the literal Pokemon move recover?
I believe that we were alluding to both. One user asserted that the only move that Mewtwo should NOT have was recover. However, we started talking about recovery moves after that.
Oh ok that makes more sense. I totally thought @ Dragoncharystary Dragoncharystary meant recovery move. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to Ness' absorption field (whatever that attack is called) with an added barrier. Like Reflect + Recover. That might be too overpowered, but would be awesome.

Actually, you could be on to something. They did change pit's recovery in brawl, so why not for Mewtwo? It makes more sense for a heavier character and Mewtwo to me.
How awesome would that be? When I first saw the hover in Project M, I was like, "YES! MORE!" It would be fitting for Mewtwo to have Pit's glide, but I prefer Mewtwo do it like Palutena's hover.

I would prefer that Mewtwo keeps Teleport.

In fact, I don't want a whole lot of his moveset changed, just buffs where they are due and maybe Psystrike instead of Shadow Ball.

Also tail attacks may have to go if Mewtwo Y is the Final Smash.
Yeah, I also liked his moveset and would just change Shadow Ball. I would be very welcoming towards new and/or improved animations though. As for the tail, if MMY is his final smash, the tail wouldn't be an issue because the most likely model would be a Super Sonic + Dragon Yoshi type FS. I'm personally hoping for a non-FS mega evolution, which is where the tail becomes an issue and I can't imagine them making a whole new animation set just for MMY.. or can I? Maybe if Sakurai is feeling generous. It's not like the tail does any grabs right? If it does, I can't remember and I fail in life. The hit box will probably just be shorter.

But Mewtwo is already set really far apart from Lucario. They're almost nothing alike.
I do like the Dark Samus idea though, and I think it'd work best with his forward throw. He could lift the enemy up like in Melee but keep them there while shooting those 3 dark orbs. But since that's already Dark Samus' thing, I doubt they'd make it very similar.
Oh yeah, I don't think they'll do anything like that, but the uniqueness of Dark Samus' attacks demonstrates the possibilities. And yes, he is set really far apart from Lucario, but just to silence the naysayers it would be great to completely set him apart.

I was thinking maybe swift can be incorporated into his moveset somehow, but how would it work?
Oh geez, I hope they don't use Swift. I said it on here before I think, but Mewtwo and cute little stars should not go together! I can see that as a Sakurai troll though.

Yeah, I know that it's not the same, but it's having the same idea behind it that bugs me. It seems like the a ton of final smashes so far are transformations. Clones have never bugged me,
Especially not
it's just that Pokemon is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises, and I don't want to see all final smashes have the same basis. I'm not very good at explaining it, I hope you know what I'm trying to say.

Amazing picture btw
To be fair, the only Pokemon confirmed with a mega evolution FS is Charizard. Lucario's isn't officially confirmed yet based on how Sakurai describes his character. Lucario seems to have his own game mechanic where he can power up his attacks "when he's in trouble", so it wouldn't be impossible to think that Mega Lucario is a temporary powered up mode when he reaches his peak power (or a certain %) instead of a FS.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Especially not

Amazing picture btw

Well not all of them use Mega Evos. Pikachu and Greninja use Volt Tackle and Night Slash as a Final Smash and Jigglypuff will probably keep her Final Smash from Brawl.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
To be fair, the only Pokemon confirmed with a mega evolution FS is Charizard. Lucario's isn't officially confirmed yet based on how Sakurai describes his character. Lucario seems to have his own game mechanic where he can power up his attacks "when he's in trouble", so it wouldn't be impossible to think that Mega Lucario is a temporary powered up mode when he reaches his peak power (or a certain %) instead of a FS.
That's right. MegaLucario could just be a visual effect when he reach maximum aura or something else!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Jigglypuff will probably keep her Final Smash from Brawl.
I'd prefer something like Peach's.
Best case scenario she takes out a marker and doodles on the opponents in a Play Rough-styled animation.
But that's just a dream. The full screen Sing is very possible though.

As for Mewtwo, I can see Mega Mewtwo Y be a Super Sonic meets Super Dragon Final Smash.
Maybe he'll shoot out Psystrike from his hands or whatever.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
IMO Recover on Mewtwo could be done with some restrictions to prevent OPness. Something like WFT's Deep Breath (BIG cooldowns) or like Wario's down B (the more you wait the more you heal then resets, with a cap of course... Maybe like 20% Max every 4 mins?). Add some invi-frames like Olimar's down B for a bit of usefulness.

I've always thought that Jiggs should be able to recover a little bit of health using Rest. Maybe this time around (or via custom move).

We could forget about Recover and think about Barrier instead, could work like Pit's Shield in Brawl but wider. Reflects during the first frames and after that protects against damage on the front until you release it.

Just random ideas hahaha.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
I just want Mewtwo to replace all tail-whips with [psychic] powers wherever possible.

D-Throw should definitely be replaced, for example. Why not have him mentally levitate his opponent for a second then slam them against the ground....instead of contorting and hitting them with the tail?

The only tail moves I find OK are bair and up-tilt. The rest seem awkward for Mewtwo to use just straight up. There's so much more he could do other than a tail smack.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I think one of his throws should involve putting you into a psychic orb. Flying up a little bit and launching you at the floor.

Maybe thats too much like Frieza though

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I'd prefer something like Peach's.
Best case scenario she takes out a marker and doodles on the opponents in a Play Rough-styled animation.
But that's just a dream. The full screen Sing is very possible though.

As for Mewtwo, I can see Mega Mewtwo Y be a Super Sonic meets Super Dragon Final Smash.
Maybe he'll shoot out Psystrike from his hands or whatever.

Maybe Jigglypuff could do the same thing from Brawl but this time she also sings which causes all opponents to fall asleep and are vulnerable to her puffing up.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I just want Mewtwo to replace all tail-whips with [psychic] powers wherever possible.

D-Throw should definitely be replaced, for example. Why not have him mentally levitate his opponent for a second then slam them against the ground....instead of contorting and hitting them with the tail?

The only tail moves I find OK are bair and up-tilt. The rest seem awkward for Mewtwo to use just straight up. There's so much more he could do other than a tail smack.
I agree. Well, they should have at least one or two moves using his tail otherwise it would be a waste of, well, physiology, but I'd like to see less tail attacks. I can see them doing the levitate D-Throw for sure. Or if they want to make it more brutal, they can have him pin the opponent to the ground with his TK and shoot them with a psychic blast or electrocute them similar to his Melee neutral A. As far as I know, Mega Man's smash attacks are based on his hand cannon, they can do the same for Mewtwo except with psychic attacks. I think it would make Mewtwo more badass if he doesn't even have to make physical contact in order to fight.

PS, I would also like to see Mewtwo as a heavier character. I mean he's reaching almost 300 pounds. That would be interesting to see. His levitation and teleportation can make up for his heaviness.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I could envision his d-throw operating similar to Kenshi/Ermac from Mortal Kombat and have a pop-up effect that you can "combo." It would be especially helpful for a character like Mewtwo.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh lord, please no. That would make me hate MMY being forced as a final smash even more. It's almost like some are deliberately trying to find ways/ideas to turn me off some on Mewtwo returning.

I guess I should say normally that kind of attack/FS would be cool, but for someone like Mewtwo it'd be far from ideal, to me.

I think one of his throws should involve putting you into a psychic orb. Flying up a little bit and launching you at the floor.

Maybe thats too much like Frieza though
Frieza was what I first thought of when you mentioned that move too, but who cares? Am pretty sure/confident he wasn't the first to ever have that sort of attack, so not like him having that kind of telekinesis was original anyway.

In other words, I'd be fine with Mewtwo having that.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Frieza was what I first thought of when you mentioned that move too, but who cares? Am pretty sure/confident he wasn't the first to ever have that sort of attack, so not like him having that kind of telekinesis was original anyway.

I think it would be cool for Mewtwo too

True, I also thought Frieza having telekinesis was kind of random in DBZ anyways, it came out of nowhere and left just as quickly it wasn't even established like Chaotzu and Tenshinhans were in DB

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Oh lord, please no. That would make me hate MMY being forced as a final smash even more. It's almost like some are deliberately trying to find ways/ideas to turn me off some on Mewtwo returning.

I guess I should say normally that kind of attack/FS would be cool, but for someone like Mewtwo it'd be far from ideal, to me.

Yeah, I would hate to see that as Mewtwo's FS as well. It's all too generic. Mewtwo deserves something more creative. Also, being able to transform into MMY without a FS would be wayyyy cooler. Especially in a no-items match.

And Frieza attacks for Mewtwo is perfect. It's the closest thing to DBZ this game will get (referencing people wanting Goku in the game, lol.)

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Yeah, I would hate to see that as Mewtwo's FS as well. It's all too generic. Mewtwo deserves something more creative. Also, being able to transform into MMY without a FS would be wayyyy cooler. Especially in a no-items match.

And Frieza attacks for Mewtwo is perfect. It's the closest thing to DBZ this game will get (referencing people wanting Goku in the game, lol.)
Doesn't Lucario already deliver on the DBZ feel?

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Doesn't Lucario already deliver on the DBZ feel?
Maybe to some. There is that Anubis looking character, but I got out of DBZ before I got to see him in action. Other than that it's just the energy blasts. Mewtwo on the other hand resembles Frieza. Alien-like, white and purple, psychic (not that Frieza was just psychic) and has multiple forms :)

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace

Skimming the thread cus I'm MAJORLY BEHIND I read this post & thought to myself,
"Wait, Mewtwo in Melee holds an item using his psychic power to keep the items levitated. The Beam Sword used as a smash attack levitated up & slammed down. Gimj is on to something:shades:"
But yeah sharing similar opinion I approve of keeping U-tilt, Bair, & Uair.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I believe Mewtwo should use his tail for at least one of his attacks, as the utility of pretty much all of his tail attacks is pretty high, the least useful one imo is the F-Tilt. If anything, Mewtwo should keep his U-tilt and B-air and have everything else be replaced with Psychic attacks.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Especially not

Amazing picture btw
I see what you're saying. I'm a huge fan of Pokemon too. I even started the Pokemon Club at the college I attend. I didn't mean you specifically when I posted earlier, just the people that blow it out of proportion and claim it would be the exact same as Landmasters. Nothing wrong with wanting some originality in your Pokemon's final smashes. Also, @ ORVO5 ORVO5 makes an excellent point and brings up a theory I really agree with.
I honestly think Mega Lucario might just be a transformation that occurs when Lucario reaches a certian %. It's basically just an aesthetic change since if he had reached that percent, assuming he still works like he did in Brawl with the more damage = more attack power feature, his attacks' power would be maxed out anyway. That leaves room for his old final smash and allows Mewtwo to transform into MMY without being entirely unoriginal. Or he could do something else. Whatever he does, I'm gonna love playing as him.

I heavily agree with this. Especially with changing the f-tilt. Back air is just incredibly useful so I'd hate to see it go, same reasoning for up-tilt. But how many times in the anime/games do you see Mewtwo attack with his tail? Come on, now, Smash Bros.
PS, I would also like to see Mewtwo as a heavier character. I mean he's reaching almost 300 pounds. That would be interesting to see. His levitation and teleportation can make up for his heaviness.
Also this. Mewtwo should be way harder to knock around.

crotch protector

Smash Apprentice
In game, Mewtwo has a higher physical attack than any of the other currently revealed Pokemon. The tail should stay for a couple of ancillary moves, but his primary mode of attack should always be his brainbox.

Plus his tail is pretty neat.

Last edited:

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman

I rather like Mewtwo's tail attacks. But mewtwo y just looks ridiculous, not even sure it can be considered a tail...

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I see what you're saying. I'm a huge fan of Pokemon too. I even started the Pokemon Club at the college I attend. I didn't mean you specifically when I posted earlier, just the people that blow it out of proportion and claim it would be the exact same as Landmasters. Nothing wrong with wanting some originality in your Pokemon's final smashes. Also, @ ORVO5 ORVO5 makes an excellent point and brings up a theory I really agree with.

I honestly think Mega Lucario might just be a transformation that occurs when Lucario reaches a certian %. It's basically just an aesthetic change since if he had reached that percent, assuming he still works like he did in Brawl with the more damage = more attack power feature, his attacks' power would be maxed out anyway. That leaves room for his old final smash and allows Mewtwo to transform into MMY without being entirely unoriginal. Or he could do something else. Whatever he does, I'm gonna love playing as him.
I never thought of that, but his Aura Abilities could make that work. I just wonder what would happen if he healed below 300% (let's say that's when he changes to ML). Would he change back? And how long would the transformation be?

D

Deleted member

I hope that's the case. That way, "Goku" will still be able to use the Kamehameha.

Destinylegend

Smash Cadet
NNID
Destinylegend
3DS FC
2122-6400-3417
Hey, I'm new to smashboards, and when I saw a forum dedicated to my favorite character I just had to join to talk about the character that deserves to be in Smash 4 more than anything. Anyway, just wanted to stop by to say hi to all fellow Mewtwo fans.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Hey, I'm new to smashboards, and when I saw a forum dedicated to my favorite character I just had to join to talk about the character that deserves to be in Smash 4 more than anything. Anyway, just wanted to stop by to say hi to all fellow Mewtwo fans.
Hello there. Welcome to the forums :)

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Yeah, welcome! You'll love it here. We hope to hear more from you in the Mewtwo Support thread :bee:.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Welcome to the forums

This is for everyone

Anythoughts on tomorrow on the 11th.

Destinylegend

Smash Cadet
NNID
Destinylegend
3DS FC
2122-6400-3417
Welcome to the forums

This is for everyone

Anythoughts on tomorrow on the 11th.
It's more likely we'll get an announcment on Sunday when the annoucments seem to be scheduled, but not really sure w'll get anything character related tomorrow, would be nice, but at the end of EVO seems more likely from what I've seen.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Just to add in more announcement-worthy events, San Diego Comic Con is coming up. While I don't remember Nintendo making a big presence in past SDCCs, I'd imagine Nintendo would wanna take advantage of this event because, well, it's the San Diego Comic Con lol. Not trying to imply anything, just putting it out there :)

PS, They're doing a 3DS tourney so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom