• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
An educated guess, game design has three stages, pre-production, production, and post-production. If Pokemon X/Y was still in pre-production there would be no chance that Gen lll remakes were on the minds of the development teams.
Incorrect (as you were dealing in an absolute that cannot be proven), there is certainly a chance that it was relevant given the notion that GameFreak was quite clearly intending to recreate the game. So they could have advocated for a Gen III Pokemon. I am not stating that they did, I am merely asserting that it is probable. Of course Pokemon X and Y was higher on the priority list, but that does not mean that "Pokemon from X and Y" was the only character on that priority list.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Incorrect (as you were dealing in an absolute that cannot be proven), there is certainly a chance that it was relevant given the notion that GameFreak was quite clearly intending to recreate the game. So they could have advocated for a Gen III Pokemon. I am not stating that they did, I am merely asserting that it is probable. Of course Pokemon X and Y was higher on the priority list, but that does not mean that "Pokemon from X and Y" was the only character on that priority list.

I have no doubt they were thinking of making a gen lll remake... Someday...

But the thing is, you never assign a team to two projects at a time that's development 101. If Pokemon X/Y was in full production or post prediction, you could assign the pre-production team to the development of ORAS, but considering the dates of development of both X/Y and Samsh bros 4, and going from both producers statements, both entered development at around about the same time.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Sorry I'm late @ Masonomace Masonomace , but...
Stay thirsty my friends~

I feel that a Pokemon from Gen. 3 may have been considered at one point (like Blaziken or something) but was easily out-prioritized by Jigglypuff and Mewtwo.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Just jumping in and continuing to believe that Mewtwo is going to get in over literally any other Pokemon that isn't named Jigglypuff. Everyone who's made this assertion before me has provided the evidence, but I especially like @ORVO5 's argument that Mewtwo was planned for ALL 3 previous games. It's hard to top that at this point. I also think that Squirtle and Ivysaur are gone since they were sort of just there to support Charizard and flesh out the Pokemon Trainer.

Also new profile pic to show my support of everyone's favorite Psychic-type!:150: Well mine's actually :151:, but you get the point.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
It's been mentioned before but if Mewtwo & Jiggly puff (& Sceptile) get in, then the Pkmn trading card game will be mad happy (& complete the card type elements I think?)

Last edited:

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
It's been mentioned before but if Mewtwo & Jiggly puff (& Sceptile) get in, then the Pkmn trading card game will be mad happy (& complete the card type elements I think?)
still its unlikely that sceptile was even considered for the game and it would be 6 pokemon on the roster thats as muchas a trainer can have in there party at one time so it would be a perfect fit for mewtwo and jigglypuff

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
still its unlikely that sceptile was even considered for the game and it would be 6 pokemon on the roster thats as muchas a trainer can have in there party at one time so it would be a perfect fit for mewtwo and jigglypuff
True & this post has already been mentioned once before, but Mega-man has leaf shield so we don't need sceptile:troll:. Mewtwo & Jiggz for completing the trading card types 95%:shades:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It won't complete the card types.
You still need a Dragon and Dark type

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Just jumping in and continuing to believe that Mewtwo is going to get in over literally any other Pokemon that isn't named Jigglypuff. Everyone who's made this assertion before me has provided the evidence, but I especially like @ORVO5 's argument that Mewtwo was planned for ALL 3 previous games. It's hard to top that at this point. I also think that Squirtle and Ivysaur are gone since they were sort of just there to support Charizard and flesh out the Pokemon Trainer.

Also new profile pic to show my support of everyone's favorite Psychic-type!:150: Well mine's actually :151:, but you get the point.
Did somebody call for a giant wall of text? No? Well who cares, I'll do it cuz I love ya. Spoilered for your convenience.

Not sure if anyone has already done something like this on this thread but here's my theories.

Mewtwo does have a good chance of returning for several reasons:

1. The roster is locked before development. That does sound like a bad thing, but a month after E3 2013, Mewtwo got another film and the first showing of it's Mega Evo. It was a sign of promotion for XY. Surely the character choosers might have noticed Mewtwo's returning popularity. If they managed to score with Greninja's popularity, they can do it with Mewtwo.

2. Mewtwo is NOT among the Poke Ball summons as of yet. Before I saw the Invitational and Treehouse at E3, I had heavy hopes that Genesect, which Mewtwo could compete with for a character slot, could make it in. But alas, Genesect is a Poke Ball summon, allowing further hopes for Mewtwo to return if Jigglypuff is booted out lol.(Jigglypuff fans please don't hate me :( )

3. Mewtwo having 2(lol) Mega Evos could allow for a minor degree of customization, which is something U/3DS is promoting heavily.

4. More of a mythology gag, but significant. Brawl had a total of 6 Pokémon reps. How many Pokémon can you carry on a team? 6.
How many reps are in U/3DS? (Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja) 4. Room for 2 more. For simplicity's sake, it's safe to assume Jigglypuff and Mewtwo could return, because other theorized competitors are either too obscure or not popular enough for Smash.

5. Sakurai already trolled us with Mewtwo during Greninja's reveal. Who's to say it isn't foreshadowing?

So what do you all think?

The "Mewtwo in Smash Run as a boss" comments are, IMO, some of the most illogical theories I've ever seen. No problem with speculation, but:

1. Mewtwo in Smash Run, a 3DS only mode, would mean Mewtwo is "3DS exclusive". Cue Wii U loyalists raging.
2. "We made a model, gave him attacks, even gave him a VA, but not playable." is what that specific theory is trying to tell you. Which is unfair.
3. Mewtwo is FAR too popular ATM to be relegated to a boss. Huge promotion for XY? Check. Featured in Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction? Check. Much more variety for a moveset nowadays? Check. No way something with that much hype behind it will be relegated to...this.
4. All the points I mentioned in my other post.

So yes, Mewtwo as a boss in Smash Run is total bogus as far as I'm concerned.

@Gnarleysquid
I doubt that Sakurai would look at an empty Pokemon slot and not think of Mewtwo.

So I personally think that Sakurai is going by number of separate character movesets this time around. Since Pokemon had 6 in Brawl, I believe that they will have 6 again.
Fitting, because youshouldalreadyknowthis you carry 6 Pokemon on an in game team. As I said before, Jigglypuff is most likely to return, and if no newcomer was locked in, the last rep will certainly be Mewtwo. Besides, the other theorized reps are highly unlikely:

Zoroark: Not popular enough. The marketing push in BW fell flatter than a pancake and my puns suck

Genesect: Popular theory before being shown as a summon.

A Trainer/Champion: What's the point of having a trainer fight with just 1 Pokemon?

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
I had an idea of how Psystrike would work (if it replaced Shadow ball.) so I made a short thing.

It could home-in on other enemies (similar to Sonic's neutral special) but will have more mobility, this attack will have slightly more range then Sonic's attack but will be able to go around corners if you close. For example if your on FD and there is a player under the stage you could stand near the edge, use the attack and it will hit the player.

I also thought it could work a bit like the differences between Ness and Lucas's PK Fire, Ness having a stream of fire for a few seconds while Lucas's was an explosion, I think either one would work.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Did somebody call for a giant wall of text? No? Well who cares, I'll do it cuz I love ya. Spoilered for your convenience.

Not sure if anyone has already done something like this on this thread but here's my theories.

Mewtwo does have a good chance of returning for several reasons:

1. The roster is locked before development. That does sound like a bad thing, but a month after E3 2013, Mewtwo got another film and the first showing of it's Mega Evo. It was a sign of promotion for XY. Surely the character choosers might have noticed Mewtwo's returning popularity. If they managed to score with Greninja's popularity, they can do it with Mewtwo.

2. Mewtwo is NOT among the Poke Ball summons as of yet. Before I saw the Invitational and Treehouse at E3, I had heavy hopes that Genesect, which Mewtwo could compete with for a character slot, could make it in. But alas, Genesect is a Poke Ball summon, allowing further hopes for Mewtwo to return if Jigglypuff is booted out lol.(Jigglypuff fans please don't hate me :( )

3. Mewtwo having 2(lol) Mega Evos could allow for a minor degree of customization, which is something U/3DS is promoting heavily.

4. More of a mythology gag, but significant. Brawl had a total of 6 Pokémon reps. How many Pokémon can you carry on a team? 6.
How many reps are in U/3DS? (Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja) 4. Room for 2 more. For simplicity's sake, it's safe to assume Jigglypuff and Mewtwo could return, because other theorized competitors are either too obscure or not popular enough for Smash.

5. Sakurai already trolled us with Mewtwo during Greninja's reveal. Who's to say it isn't foreshadowing?

So what do you all think?

The "Mewtwo in Smash Run as a boss" comments are, IMO, some of the most illogical theories I've ever seen. No problem with speculation, but:

1. Mewtwo in Smash Run, a 3DS only mode, would mean Mewtwo is "3DS exclusive". Cue Wii U loyalists raging.
2. "We made a model, gave him attacks, even gave him a VA, but not playable." is what that specific theory is trying to tell you. Which is unfair.
3. Mewtwo is FAR too popular ATM to be relegated to a boss. Huge promotion for XY? Check. Featured in Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction? Check. Much more variety for a moveset nowadays? Check. No way something with that much hype behind it will be relegated to...this.
4. All the points I mentioned in my other post.

So yes, Mewtwo as a boss in Smash Run is total bogus as far as I'm concerned.

Fitting, because youshouldalreadyknowthis you carry 6 Pokemon on an in game team. As I said before, Jigglypuff is most likely to return, and if no newcomer was locked in, the last rep will certainly be Mewtwo. Besides, the other theorized reps are highly unlikely:

Zoroark: Not popular enough. The marketing push in BW fell flatter than a pancake and my puns suck

Genesect: Popular theory before being shown as a summon.

A Trainer/Champion: What's the point of having a trainer fight with just 1 Pokemon?
Not only that, but on the topic of smash run bosses those look like minibosses like Bonkers from Kirby.
I don't think Sakurai would have Mewtwo go to the level of Bonkers.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I could have swore I was posting in the Project M BRSTM thread, whoopsie.

How silly of me...

Last edited:

RockerJay

Smash Cadet
NNID
flutterjay
My prediction:

Starters: Pikachu, Charizard, Greninja

Unlockable: Lucario, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff

DLC: Squirtle, Ivysaur, Sceptile/Blaziken/Swampert

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
My prediction:

Starters: Pikachu, Charizard, Greninja

Unlockable: Lucario, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff

DLC: Squirtle, Ivysaur, Sceptile/Blaziken/Swampert
Mine is.

Starters::4pikachu::4lucario::4greninja:

Unlockable: :jigglypuff::4charizard::mewtwomelee:

DLC: :pichumelee::squirtle::ivysaur:*sceptile*

I know Pichu isn't likely but I felt he needed to be added.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Ok, mine is:

Starters: :4pikachu:, :4charizard:, :4lucario:.

Unlocklables: :4greninja:, :mewtwopm:, :jigglypuffmelee:.

DLC: :pichumelee: or Sceptile/Blaziken

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
Ok, mine is:

Starters: :4pikachu:, :4charizard:, :4lucario:.

Unlocklables: :4greninja:, :mewtwopm:, :jigglypuffmelee:.

DLC: :pichumelee: or Sceptile/Blaziken
i agree with you ! except i don't think blaziken or pichu will ever make it.
there's already a fire representative with charizard. and pichu was a really big disappointment in melee
and is still very similar to pikachu

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
i agree with you ! except i don't think blaziken or pichu will ever make it.
there's already a fire representative with charizard. and pichu was a really big disappointment in melee
and is still very similar to pikachu
I put Blaziken because it is a fan-favorite, and Pichu because I liked his concept in Melee (make a bad character for strong players). But yes, if there will be DLC, Sceptile is the most probable.

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
I put Blaziken because it is a fan-favorite, and Pichu because I liked his concept in Melee (make a bad character for strong players). But yes, if there will be DLC, Sceptile is the most probable.
this is considering they add dlc. which I'm all for. but what about the 5 character rep limit ? 5 mario characters, 5 zelda and 5 pokémon looks like the limit. do you think they'll change that for dlc ?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
this is considering they add dlc. which I'm all for. but what about the 5 character rep limit ? 5 mario characters, 5 zelda and 5 pokémon looks like the limit. do you think they'll change that for dlc ?
Why not?! Rule are made for being violated, right?

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
Mario currently has 6 characters (8 if you want to count Donkey and Diddy, 9 if Wario returns.) There were also 6 Pokemon in Brawl
as for Zelda I can see 5 reps.
DLC will add all sorts of characters so I'm going to say characters will be added from anything.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
As far as I know, Sakurai chooses a number of reps per franchise when he is deciding the full roster. How he decides that number? We can only assume. In Brawl we got 4 Mario reps and 6 Pokemon reps. Now, at this moment, we got 5 Mario reps an 4 Pokemon reps.

5 character rep limit is like the O12... Things made by us. Sakurai probably sees things in a very different way.

And yes... I think if DLC PCs are implemented the reps' cap per franchise will rise. Sakurai does whatever he wants.

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
Mario currently has 6 characters (8 if you want to count Donkey and Diddy, 9 if Wario returns.) There were also 6 Pokemon in Brawl
as for Zelda I can see 5 reps.
DLC will add all sorts of characters so I'm going to say characters will be added from anything.
i meant, like character slots .. it looks like theres going to be a cap of 5 in my opinion.
and no donkey kong and diddy are in their own franchise just like wario is, in smash that is.
how are there 6 reps for mario ? theres 5 .. mario peach luigi bowser & rosalina. am i missing something?

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
As far as I know, Sakurai chooses a number of reps per franchise when he is deciding the full roster. How he decides that number? We can only assume. In Brawl we got 4 Mario reps and 6 Pokemon reps. Now, at this moment, we got 5 Mario reps an 4 Pokemon reps.

5 character rep limit is like the O12... Things made by us. Sakurai probably sees things in a very different way.

And yes... I think if DLC PCs are implemented the reps' cap per franchise will rise. Sakurai does whatever he wants.
you're right lmao ! sakurai does what he wants, and i heard / read he was really cocky and confident with everything he works on .

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
i meant, like character slots .. it looks like theres going to be a cap of 5 in my opinion.
and no donkey kong and diddy are in their own franchise just like wario is, in smash that is.
how are there 6 reps for mario ? theres 5 .. mario peach luigi bowser & rosalina. am i missing something?
I decided to count Yoshi as a pure Mario character since he started in core Mario games and is still in core Mario games to this day, he has had his own games but so has Pikachu, Luigi and a few others. He has a different logo but above all he is and always has been a Mario character. Donkey Kong started in Mario but hasn't been in the core games and I think the only time Wario was in a core game was sm64DS.

Last edited:

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
I think with DLC, they could make the series reps' numbers as uneven as they want to. Also, I don't know why I just thought of this, but DLC will be great for alternate costumes. Now personally, I wouldn't really want to pay for alternate costumes, and that doesn't seem like something Nintendo would do, so hopefully they'd be free or come in huge packs for very small amounts of money. Or they'd just be released as patches for the game.

Speaking of alt costumes, I'd love to see Mewtwo's armor, like in Project M, be an alt costume in Smash 4. It's the only thing I can think of that would work as an alt for him. Except maybe this:

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
For the starter & Unlockables / DLC predictions I'm gonna throw mine out there, since this is the current topic atm:

Starters: :4charizard::4greninja::4pikachu:
Unlockables: :jigglypuff::4lucario::mewtwopm: Sceptile
DLC: Blaziken, :ivysaur::pichumelee: Sceptile, :squirtle:& Swampert
Reason why Sceptile is listed for both is due to a slim chance that 6 slots won't be the final number of PKMN slots for Sm4sh.

Last edited:

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
How do you guys think the DLC will be sold.
Single things at a time or bundles such as:
Melee Bundle: Roy playable, Dr.Mario Alt, Young Link Alt, all Melee items return
Pokemon Bundle: Ivysaur, Squirtle, Pichu, Sceptile, Blaziken, Swampert, 5 more pokéball pokemon
I also think there will be free DLC occasionally.

Sorry that this went a bit off topic.

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
Melee Bundle: Roy playable, Dr.Mario Alt, Young Link Alt, all Melee items return
Pokemon Bundle: Ivysaur, Squirtle, Pichu, Sceptile, Blaziken, Swampert, 5 more pokéball pokemon

i don't think they'd say 'melee' or 'brawl' in anything they do for smash 4, but that's a cool idea and they'll probably do that. because they need to give people a reason to buy it. they can't just sell "roy is playable" because less people will buy it and they'll get less profit. if they bundle roy with dr. mario, young link, and more, dr mario fans, and young link fans will buy it just to have those, and with that, roy is being sold too, you get me?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

Owell it happens so to answer this I'm gonna assume that heavily requested characters that don't get in the final SSB4 roster will be single characters on their own & for multiple average characters like past smash cut characters will be in bundles. But I think bundles may occur more, so with that here's some name ideas for past Smash game characters & new DLC exclusive that don't get in the Sm4sh roster & may be at a much later time:

So you wanna be a Master?! of Pokemon! (in case new additions of Pkmn get added in)

Calling All Clones

Bosses Threaten the Fighters!...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I still think the best argument in favor of Mewtwo (and 6 Pokemon in general) is this;

A team at max can hold 6 Pokemon, so let's follow our non-specific trainer from Gen VI for a second.
  • Trainer starts with Froakie, which will later evolve into Greninja.
  • Trainer catches a Pikachu in Santalune Forest.
  • Trainer chooses to receive Charmander from Professor Sycamore, which later evolves into Charizard.
  • Trainer receives Lucario from Korrina at the Tower of Mastery.
  • Trainer catches a Jigglypuff on Route 20. I don't know why he/she caught a fairy this late. Maybe they thought Drasna was invincible or something
  • Trainer catches Mewtwo as part of the post game.
Now, can one actually beat the game with this team? Yes:
  • The Charmander Line and Froakie Line can learn Cut.
  • Charizard can learn Fly.
  • The Froakie Line can learn Surf.
  • Every Pokemon in this team can learn Strength.
  • The Froakie Line can learn Waterfall
Straw grasp, or something more?

I didn't notice this, credit to the original person, whoever they may be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
Starters:4pikachu::4lucario::4charizard::4greninja:
Locked:mewtwopm::jigglypuff:

It should be obvious to expect this by:
1. Pre Release character reveals for Melee and Brawl were starters (except Third Parties).
2.We've received enough info to prove unexplained past unlocks as starters now (such as Marth on the 3DS cover art).
3. A larger roster means MORE starters. So past unlocks becoming starters is logical.
4. Sakurai's problem with spoilers were pointed directly toward SSE cutscenes, NOT characters. If that were the case, I believe Melee's secrets were spoiled pre American release, so why didn't he show us all of Brawl's roster pre-release?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom