• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, and yea i thought the same thing. Def one of the easier pools (maybe the easiest?). The only ppl i recognize are KirbyKaze and Lanceinthepants. I think I'll make it out. I watched some video of me at my last tournament, and I feel like I'm playing a lot better now. We'll see. Your pool is harder than mine, but I think you'll make it out. Good luck.

Either way, we def have to have some Samus friendlies with u, me, and duck. (I think those are the only samus mains coming) I'm pretty hype already, this tourny is going to be sweet!

Edit: I looked at the pool predictions thread. a lot of ppl are saying the Chexr will make it out of my pool. ppl are just guessing about the last spot. so i think i have a pretty good chance to make it out.

also, any recovery tips against shiek (kirbykaze)? i got owned by m2k's shiek in a doubles match at my last tourny. i couldn't get to the ledge! he protected it so well. maybe more mixups and possibly not sweetspoting the up-b sometimes would work?

AntoPark

Smash Lord
I think the most important thing I learned from getting ***** so much in socal is when to grab.

Getting multiple grabs is such a momentum changer.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
i tried to get more grabs today. hopefully it'll help my game. i was starting to follow onto platforms and get grabs, but more importantly: i got a few extender grabs!

also, i'm so ready for the big house 2! hopefully we can give samus some good rep

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
also, any recovery tips against shiek (kirbykaze)? i got owned by m2k's shiek in a doubles match at my last tourny. i couldn't get to the ledge! he protected it so well. maybe more mixups and possibly not sweetspoting the up-b sometimes would work?
Avoid needles like the plague. Stay out of Sheik's ledgehop bair range. Use a lot of variation in your recovery methods, especially with the tethers. Samus has over 5 tether techniques at her disposal. Make use of them.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
Thanks! i def need to focus on staying out of the ledgehop bair range, i had some trouble with that before. i don't think about varying my tether recovery that often, thanks for the tip.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Don't let us land when we're in the air, also don't be afraid to come out and challenge us off stage during bomb recovery.

Geist

Smash Master
marth is awful vs samus in midair. Samus will always win against marth's aerials, especially when samus is directly overtop of marth.
Marth's grabs never lead into anything so don't bother doing that either, instead make sure you're getting off a ton of Fsmashes because samus can't do much to punish them (kind of like how jiggs can afford to miss rests v peach, what's she going to do, dsmash? lol)
last but not least, when edgeguarding samus, you don't have to be aggressive at all. In fact, samus is at her most vulnerable when she's closer to the stage as opposed to returning back with bomb jumps. You can totally just wait her out and spam dtilts and fsmashes repeatedly off the edge, and she practically has no option but to run into them.

:D

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
marth is awful vs samus in midair. Samus will always win against marth's aerials, especially when samus is directly overtop of marth.
Marth's grabs never lead into anything so don't bother doing that either, instead make sure you're getting off a ton of Fsmashes because samus can't do much to punish them (kind of like how jiggs can afford to miss rests v peach, what's she going to do, dsmash? lol)
last but not least, when edgeguarding samus, you don't have to be aggressive at all. In fact, samus is at her most vulnerable when she's closer to the stage as opposed to returning back with bomb jumps. You can totally just wait her out and spam dtilts and fsmashes repeatedly off the edge, and she practically has no option but to run into them.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice

lol, this is great! my thoughts exactly.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Marth can win this MU with two moves, uthrow and utilt. Other moves just make the MU more convenient for him. That said, I actually find myself to be unnaturally good at the Marth MU. For a time, I believed that the MU wasn't actually as bad as it is. It's probably something like a 65:45 in Marth's favor, but I thought it was 55:45 for a while. :facepalm:

Geist

Smash Master
:l

Guys your hyperbole is showing.

I thought it was more or less known that the matchup hasn't been terrible since like 07. Marth has a good many slippery advantages and hokey pokey one-offs that can really ruin samus's day, but they're only as much of a problem if you don't know how to deal with them properly. The problems come in because the majority of things Marth uses to take advantage of you are easier for him to do, comparatively to the difficulty of the things samus has to do to shut him down. aka marth's molestation threshold is much easier to maximize in this matchup.
Samus does have the tools for this though, and the general idea you have to go for is playing a clever rock/paper/scissors between marth's aerial game and his ground game. Basically in a nutshell, you have grabby ground marth, who can get punked by grabs and cool follow ups like fsmash. Your grab is made stupid by his aerials though. In return, air happy marth can get thrown off by dash attacks and smart projectiles. He can also fight this by playing a dashy grabby game, which you can take advantage of by grabbing, and the vicious circle continues.
It's still in marth's favor of course, but it's not unwinnable, you just have to be the smarter player and be on the ball, and if a marth is beating you with 2 moves you're doing it wrong.

AntoPark

Smash Lord
Marth vs samus is pretty fun.

The only match up I don't think is fun is sheik and samus(dittos suck. anyone who likes samus dittos is dumb. HUGQ).

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I had a Samus ditto in my Losers 3 match against AKidWithChemicals(forgot his real tag atm) at a recent tournament lol

Funny part was, the night before I was watching gameplay of his for tips lol.

AntoPark

Smash Lord
I hate samus dittos so goddamn much.

I'd give up half of one of my pinkies to never have to play another samus in tournament.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
KidWithChemicals' tag is Knut.

:l

Guys your hyperbole is showing.

I thought it was more or less known that the matchup hasn't been terrible since like 07. Marth has a good many slippery advantages and hokey pokey one-offs that can really ruin samus's day, but they're only as much of a problem if you don't know how to deal with them properly. The problems come in because the majority of things Marth uses to take advantage of you are easier for him to do, comparatively to the difficulty of the things samus has to do to shut him down. aka marth's molestation threshold is much easier to maximize in this matchup.
Samus does have the tools for this though, and the general idea you have to go for is playing a clever rock/paper/scissors between marth's aerial game and his ground game. Basically in a nutshell, you have grabby ground marth, who can get punked by grabs and cool follow ups like fsmash. Your grab is made stupid by his aerials though. In return, air happy marth can get thrown off by dash attacks and smart projectiles. He can also fight this by playing a dashy grabby game, which you can take advantage of by grabbing, and the vicious circle continues.
It's still in marth's favor of course, but it's not unwinnable, you just have to be the smarter player and be on the ball, and if a marth is beating you with 2 moves you're doing it wrong.
Well, it's quite clear that I was indeed exaggerating, and as I said, I don't think this is nearly as bad as Falcon or Sheik, but overall it's a mega-spacing battle that Marth has the advantage in. Grabby marth is the best Marth against Samus because everything else Marth has can be CC'd unless it's spaced perfectly so that everything is tippered. Grabs only really work as mix-ups when you know they are going to shield or something, imo.

Corigames

Smash Hero
The Marth's I play are Taj and Tai. When I play against them, I can't do **** :/

There are other Marth players here in AZ, but not like them. I don't have as much trouble with Marth outside of them.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
is samus supposed to play any different in teams than she does in singles?

AntoPark

Smash Lord
It depends, if I'm teaming with a capable fast faller, I try to distract the other team/give the teammate a lot of room to do his own thing while I support him.

I play pretty much to support and don't really think about approaching or anything, so I guess it is a lot more different than singles.

Samus is a lot more fun to play when you don't have to worry about killing people.

abcool

Smash Ace
You guys really need to get your butts back in the video thread and start giving those good advice again. It's like you only lurk in here for whatever odd reason.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Cuz I'm working doubles 6 days a week and haven't picked up a GC controller in about a month now. Not really in the mood/mindset to give advice. Not sure about anyone else.

KidWithChemicals

Smash Cadet
i'll be there! i gotta stop procrastinating and register for it though.
i'm looking forward to my SHFFMC money match with Pi at it lol. any body else down for some MMs when it rolls around?
and is anyone hitting up ROM?

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
SHFFMC money match!? thats awesome. i still cant do those.... I'd def be up for some MMs at apex. (which i also have yet to register for)
right now i'm not planning on going to ROM, but my main smasher friend lives in NY so i could happen.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I will be at ROM! And does Apex have limited registration?

EDIT: And while we're at it does ROM have limited registration as well?

Top Bottom