• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

Geist

Smash Master
HugS recovery?

When I play Marths, usually all they have to do to edgeguard me is hold the ledge and bair.
... why does that always get me

Pi

Smash Hero
HugS recovery?

When I play Marths, usually all they have to do to edgeguard me is hold the ledge and bair.
... why does that always get me
the thing where kinda just barely double jumps onto the stage
i've been having lots of success with it
i call it he hugs recovery cause he's the first samus i saw doin it

and idk...i rarely get edgeguarded any more, ganon throws me off some times, but usually saving your jump, you can bomb low enough to foil any edgeguard attempts, or at wait till your in range to airdodge grapple

oh also
quote from m2k while in the match on bf
'poor marth, he has to try so hard, that's why i play sheik'
i laughed cause i thought he had made a joke
but i think he was serious

DarrellD

Smash Ace
Any time i play against marth, its ALWAYS BF for the first stage, its the best if you ask me. I never even worry about dreamland because once any marth sees samus, they think "oh ****, better ban dreamland".

FD isnt bad either, you just have to know how to deal with short hop double fair as an approach. I personally dont have a problem with this so its whatever to me. *cough*dash attack*cough*

Pi

Smash Hero
Any time i play against marth, its ALWAYS BF for the first stage, its the best if you ask me. I never even worry about dreamland because once any marth sees samus, they think "oh ****, better ban dreamland".

FD isnt bad either, you just have to know how to deal with short hop double fair as an approach. I personally dont have a problem with this so its whatever to me. *cough*dash attack*cough*
there was a time when i thought BF was 2nd worst stage next to YS for samus vs. marth
then i thought FD was worse than YS
then i decided YS was worse again
but bf & fd were equally bad

tl:dr all neutrals suck in this matchup, horribly

but i think FD is probably the lesser, it's still terrible, pitting samus vs. marth on a 1 dimensional playing field is like falco vs. bowser on VD

and yea, dash attack, but that's if he's fairing nothing, which he has no reason to
and it's hard to bait marth w/ our ****ty DD, his fair covers the whole thing

if he does throw out a fair that doesn't hit though, that is an opening for a DA, or a wavedash ftilt
or if you shielded it nair/fair OoS

melee is like rock paper scissors & 42 other options

but to turn the discussion back to beating marth
we need a good counterpick

Counterpicks 1v1:

Kongo Jungle
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Pokemon Stadium

thats p4 ruleset...

i'm thinking kongo jungle, or brinstar would be good

i hate ps >.>, idk why, maybe i juss hate when marth abuses his stage options in general

but imo, the worst parts of this matchup are;
getting back to the ground
getting back on the stage (from the edge)
every thing else has a reliable way to get around, defensively or offensively
but those two situations are just ****

the ledge problem can't be solved entirely, but both of those stages you can at least get back toward the middle of the stagesomewhat, idk, might be better

and as for being in the air, those stages i feel would hold advantages, KJ moreso than brinstar

AntoPark

Smash Lord
Why would kongo jungle be a good counterpick?
The slopes **** charge shots, we can't grapple 'cause there're no walls, and anyone can just recover from below through the stage. D:

Pi

Smash Hero
Why would kongo jungle be a good counterpick?
The slopes **** charge shots, we can't grapple 'cause there're no walls, and anyone can just recover from below through the stage. D:
i know there are no walls
and i'm not entirely sure how this will effect recoveries
we do have the barrel which favors us more than marth, because we can bomb and stall till it comes, this may be an actually reliable way of recovering on this stage
and our grapple is still useful, rising grapple may be applicable here in some ways

i don't know how the slopes **** charge shots...it goes through the stage afaik

i'm mainly trying to pick a stage which lessens some of marths punishes, KJ i feel at leasts provides more unpredictable ways of getting back down to the ground, i see it as better than fd/ys/bf

unless not being able to grapple is a huge gimp in some way
i'm going to start practicing on this stage, and see how it goes

also the lag from our UB/grapple is less than marths UB, so there's that (as far as recovering in the middle)

do you see any other stage as better for samus? (barring DL)
cruise so many platforms, and force an approach at some point if the marth can attain the lead in the map rotation
also very very small walls, i hate early deaths, since we're on D more than offensive i don't see us taking advantage of close walls as much as marth
i juss see too many bad situations for samus on cruise

pokestadium is iffy for me...
some of the transformations, (particularly the windmill), I ****ing despise
and the others make the stage smaller

brinstar is an oddball, i'm not sure how the lava will affect both playstyles
or how that stage would work...those platforms...

idk
i'll throw it into the random stages when me and my buddy play

Geist

Smash Master
If japes is legal I usually CP it. Just because Marth can't sweetspot and dies at pretty low percents.

Kongo Jungle is nice because of the platforms, it makes it really easy to get back down to the stage. Loss of the grapple isn't too big of a deal when your recovery is buffed in two other ways - being able to recover through the stage and bomb stalling for the barrel.

Brinstar is magic. No matter who you are, you can counterpick it and win. So make sure you CP it first, because if he CP's it he's gonna **** you.

Violence

Smash Lord
To beat a Marth, you have to be able to win on the first neutral, because I feel like if Marth gets to counterpick stage on the decisive match, it just gets that much harder to win.

That's why I like practicing against Marth on Battlefield.

As for counterpick, I'd like to experiment more with KJ and Brinstar. FD isn't too bad imo though, as long as you can keep Marth from cornering you by putting on aggressive spacing pressure with dash attack and grab, at least, that's what's been my experience.

Still, I think it would be nice to have a good legit counterpick. I'll check out those two stages.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
bair, at what, 7%?

idk, when I try it they just double jump nair me. I can't be sure if the bair hitstun is enough to compensate for the aerial lag? Unless I go bair while jumping forward?

Geist

Smash Master
Dair, not bair
Either or, after Uthrow on Fastfallers you should get an aerial, guaranteed.
If they're DJing they're either at like 150% or you need to work on timing your jump to get them.

Actually Bair softspotted can sometimes be followed up with a Dair. That's so nice when it works.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Dair, not bair
Either or, after Uthrow on Fastfallers you should get an aerial, guaranteed.
If they're DJing they're either at like 150% or you need to work on timing your jump to get them.

Actually Bair softspotted can sometimes be followed up with a Dair. That's so nice when it works.
srry, misread kniht's post.

I also like to dthrow>dtilt>tech chase if they don't DI right. any1 else?

Pi

Smash Hero
srry, misread kniht's post.

I also like to dthrow>dtilt>tech chase if they don't DI right. any1 else?
i had a big combo involving that...
it was like

dair, regrab, dthrow, dtilt, chargeshot

but i've never really tried reacting to the dthrow di, i always just upthrow

people really have no excuse for not di'ing samus' throws right lol

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
90% of the time i dthrow they can't be dtilted :(

it used to be my favorite throw because it worked all the time on computers

also f/bthrow away from the stage ***** lol
usually they don't go far enough to recover correctly so instant edgeguard

Geist

Smash Master
lol I just had a match recorded, with like dtilt, 3 grab tech chases, uthrow and ended in charge beam.
If you Dthrow you can make people miss techs with Ftilt, and either punish with wakeup pressure or follow up with a Dsmash if they react slow. I usually go for a dtilt after dthrow too though.
Not to great on Fox though.

Ninja'd again ****

Pi

Smash Hero
I play samus
so I can't really play brawl seriously (have you seen her metagame? vomit)
if I were to ever pick up the game, to make money, or to prove a point
I'd pick MK

Pi

Smash Hero
has any1 tested out the "scar jump" bomby like thingy yet? I havent had time to >.>
from what i heard you lose a decent amount of vertical distance

actually though it's the only samus technique i've never done afaik (humanly possible lol super dooper daughter sister dashes)

maybe has some mindgame potential

Geist

Smash Master
has any1 tested out the "scar jump" bomby like thingy yet? I havent had time to >.>
You lose less distance with bomb walljump glitch. It would be cool as a last resort recovery, or a very trixxy way of avoiding a potential edgeguarding attempt, but if you were to use it the same way scarjump kneeing is used... lol2slow

I play samus
so I can't really play brawl seriously (have you seen her metagame? vomit)
if I were to ever pick up the game, to make money, or to prove a point
I'd pick MK
Samus is so pathetic in Bawrl
In the short time I gave Barwl a chance I got a beastly GaW though
Honestly didn't take that long

Pi

Smash Hero
so after watching SW's new combo video
and softspot nairs-> follow up
maybe we can upthrow softspot/sweetspot nair follow up to? :D

Geist

Smash Master
I usually get my bro with it when I bait his jump from a ledge. Weak nair > Nair > dj weak Nair > Nair
I got it on IB once lol, can't remember how I set it up that time though.

Probably not a 100% reliable combo xD

Pi

Smash Hero
I usually get my bro with it when I bait his jump from a ledge. Weak nair > Nair > dj weak Nair > Nair
I got it on IB once lol, can't remember how I set it up that time though.

Probably not a 100% reliable combo xD
lol i did land a quad nair on my marth friend once, but it was using a platform...
hm maybe i'll try for nairs more lol

DarrellD

Smash Ace
Quad nairs need platforms to work, even then they still dont really go anywhere =/

The hungrybox bair is a different story

DarrellD

Smash Ace
I think its something that should only work on fast fallers, sheik/ganon, and blind people who dont have the rumble feature on.

bair, bair, bair, bair =D

Geist

Smash Master
but nair doesn't combo into itself on FFers Q_Q
what kind of quad nair are you talking about?

And how do you bair 4 times

I'm so confused *sobs*

Top Bottom