• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters
3:25:51 is some of the best Melee I've ever played. Check it out for some flashy recovery/edgeguarding technology I think more Samuses should use.
3:34:55 is the second best combo of my Smash career.
3:45:40 is a game against KDJ that... may surprise you. (It's on Brinstar)
DAMN liked that maneuver on the last stock ;)

Dat edgeguard.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Took a break from Samus to figure out Falcon for a while. Man that character is fun, but I always find myself going back to Samus especially in teams. Kinda lost my infinite jab sweetspots......but picked up Shield-drop nairs in the process!!!

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
Nice to see you back! Samus in teams...now thats a kicker
I wanna see if theres another samus in my area and team with him : )

Jagoffian

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, double Samus is super fun, and underrated IMO. IIRC Sung + HugQ got like 5th or something at an SSS doing that, lol. Missiles everywhere + Dash Attack being a fantastic disruptor throws a lot of people off. Plus grab + charge shot combos are pretty awesome.

I'd like to start a discussion about Samus in teams in general. What do you guys think are her best partners? I've been teaming with a Sheik lately and it's worked out pretty well. D-smash can lead to a lot of edgeguard set-ups for Sheik, and you can get a lot of mileage out of grab + f-smash combos. Plus her strong aerials complement Samus's ground game very well. (e.g. d-tilt to Sheik fair)

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I'd really want to learn to play Samus in teams. Atm I'm maining Sheik in teams, but I think it'd be better to main the same character in teams as singles.

Litt

Samus
Leon, thing about that is it is only viable... on yoshi's story, because al other stages, the lip is too steep to get a wall jump just off falling from the ledge, you need to use your jump on all other stages

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Does anyone remember that one video of a guy who would yell out extennduurrrrrrrr when this Samus player used her grab?
It was pretty old and funny.

The title of this thread reminds me of it.

Litt

Samus
lol what about the video of wes talking about some kid calling nintendo on Wes because he used an "Illegal move" on him in a tournament (the extender)

Jagoffian

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, seriously good s*** Darrell. You were a monster in teams and you put up a good fight vs. DJ.

Btw, Samus is gonna be released in the next version of P:M :D. Her different beams look pretty sick, and the inclusion of her Brawl Zair opens up some interesting approach/spacing options. I'm glad they kept the SWD too; hopefully it's not as frame-tight now. This will definitely motivate me to play the game more.

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
I think Darrell played brilliantly vs DJ, but samus seriously has a tough time on the ledge vs. Fox. I remember this match of HugS and some B+/A- Fox at the socal smash sundays and he abused HugS' style of waiting a bit on the ledge before he got back on....shineshineshineshine. It's especially tough when they cover the L roll spot and they just stand there waiting for you to come up

Yeah if the SWD is like, 2-3 frames easier I'll be yoga teleporting all daaaaaaayyyyy

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
what samus...samooses...samis...sameese whatever the plural is to samus are going to apex and would be down for a mm with me if I go? I have a new plan of mming and beating all samus' so i am looking for all challengers. So let me know and I will try to find you to mm hopefully for at least 5 $'s (but if people only want to do 1$ i would be willing)

Litt

Samus
what samus...samooses...samis...sameese whatever the plural is to samus are going to apex and would be down for a mm with me if I go? I have a new plan of mming and beating all samus' so i am looking for all challengers. So let me know and I will try to find you to mm hopefully for at least 5 $'s (but if people only want to do 1$ i would be willing)
Ill take your challenge in a samus ditto MM at apex all day

Litt

Samus
So basically you are looking for very tedious 8 minute long matches that will more likely than not be timed out? sounds fun :/

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
I've been working on walljump recovering on Battlefield, that is, grappling the casing of the orb on the bottom - walljumping it - upB to ledge
Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.
Is there a specific spot where I have to slam my stick in the opposite direction? Or is it more about where I latch onto the casing?

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
This is something I really should practice more, as I often miss the wall jump after grapple in friendlies.
If you didn't know, you don't need to wall jump after the grapple to recover with upB.

Litt

Samus
If you latch onto the little spiked area down there, you will not be able to wj, you can in the lip between the two points, also if you rising grapple on the edge of battlefield, you can wall jump off the edge and you can see DJ do in this match again Dr. PP at zenith 2013 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm9ejSEJXf4) (not sure of the exact time, but I believe it is in match one). Also, if you are able to get SD remix, or an action replay so you can use the Debug menu, you can strip off the texture of the stages and see what they actually look like to get a better idea of where you can and cannot grapple.

Attachments

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
ahhhh ok i see i see
Yeah I was practicing this tech all week and I figured that tidbit out, I wanted some confirmation of this fact though lol
So if I grapple right onto the top/bottom spikey part I can't walljump? I think I had a lucky wj where I latched onto the spike, waited a bit, then walljumped off the true wall.

Litt

Samus
If you hit the top spikey one, and immediately reel in the grapple, i believe you can DI into the wall for a wj, but not 100% on that

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
I will have to practice more with this tech. Only got it 1/4 times the fest I went to this week.

For anyone who wants to practice recovery in general - here's how I do it
Lv. 9 bowser, damage multiplier at like 1.7-2.0.
So bowser will send you to outer space with one grab then it will feel more real then dropping off the ledge

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I dont think my matches vs samus have ever timed out. But what I am looking for is to make some money back from you samus players. also am looking for a plural to the name samus.

O and this is only my 2nd year doing this i believe so its a bit to soon to say i do this every year, but maybe I will

Litt

Samus
I go with Sami because it sounds cooler than samuses... Like cactus to cacti

Litt

Samus
Here is some REALLY convenient info regarding shield pressure, especially spacee pressure:
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/...roject-updated-8-13-07-now-with-color.109595/

Now, I'd like you to notice something wrt Falco. Even when he performs the latest dair possible to achieve the tightest dairshine he can, there are still two frames during his L-cancel lag where you are not in shieldstun. These 2 frames usually are not enough to do anything other than roll or spot-dodge for most characters. Even the spacees, with their 1-frame Shines, can't use Shine OoS to escape this pressure before the shine. Samus, however, CAN. Keep in mind that upB OoS is just a JC upB. This means that Samus must go through only one frame of jumpsquat before she can cancel the jumpsquat into upB. The upB has invincibility on frame 1, which lasts until frame 5, and its attacking hitbox comes out on frame 4. In other words, as long Samus can start her upB, she's guaranteed to get an invincible hitbox out that carries over seamlessly from her frame-1 invincibility.

The implications of this are tremendous for Samus. It means that, even in the two frames of no shield stun in Falco's tightest form of dairshine pressure, Samus can still upB out, using one frame for jumpsquat and the other frame to start the upB. Once the upB is started, it will probably beat out anything Falco does, trading at worst if performed well. This is why Samus has one of the BEST OoS games in all of Melee. Nothing truly keeps her trapped in her shield. If she wants to get out, she WILL get out. As you can surmise, if Samus can upB out of late dair > shine, then she can probably get out of any of the 'early-late' traps with upB. The timing is sitll tight, though, which is why I mentioned the leniency involved. A lot of times, it may 'feel' like you're stuck in shield during a certain fast shield string because you're (understandably) missing those couple of frames where you can get out.

Now, upB's hitbox and frame data is perfect for ensuring beat-outs or trades, but in my experience, I find that one of the best ways to hit the spacees, especially Fox, OoS with upB is to actually trade with it on their aerial. Why? Well, the spacees get flung up in a good bit of hitstun from even just the first hit of upB. However, Samus usually can't take advantage of it because she is going through the entire Screw Attack motions herself. By trading, Samus gets knocked out of the upB animation early with minimal KB and the spacee is still flung up into the air, leaving Samus completely free to follow up.

I personally actually aim for trades for this reason sometimes when I know the opponent is going to dairshine and it works! :) If it's Fox, Samus gets knocked lightly out of upB and has all the time in the world to retaliate. If it's Falco, at low %'s, it's the same as with Fox but with a little more hitstun for Samus, and at mid-high %'s, you just have to make sure you tech the ground. This 'cancelled upB' combos into pretty much anything way more reliably than the full upB does.
This data is however incorrect... samus's invincibility only lasts 4 frames, and there is no invincible hitbox, because it comes out on frame 5... at least thats the way it is on v1.2. (Personally went over the frame data with an AR) As for all this hype bubba was giving for a 2 frame window... if the falco shines instead up jumping up for another aerial, there is no window, you need to wait for the Falco to jump cancel the shine, wait for them to come down again, and then you can up OoS) Also if you mistime this... you get hit with falcos dair... and they take a 1 percent trade.... seems like a good option... :/ not really though.... 2 frames... 60 frames in a second.... 1/30th of a second reaction time to get it correct... and the average reaction time of a human is .15-.3 seconds... the timing for this attack exactly... is .03 reaction time..... gl with that one bubbaking

Jagoffian

Smash Journeyman
So I have ROFL in my pool :|. Anyone know how to fight Luigi? I've lost to the same one twice in pools, so I consider myself pretty terrible at the MU. I'd also appreciate knowledge on any of the other dudes besides Scar lol. I'm pretty sure TKD is a Mexican Fox tho.

I'm really interested to see Darrell vs DEHF, because he usually does pretty well against Hugo.

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
But be sure to find some way to record those matches..really damn important and it lets you learn the matchups on ur own
(and I want to learn from more samus vids)

Jagoffian

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the links :D. I forgot about that Pi/Vist set. I don't have a recording set-up, but there should be plenty of them at the venue (Crimson is really pushing for everything to be recorded, lol), so if I get lucky I'll have some vids.

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
Good ****, everything really should be recorded when everybody and his dog has a dazzle and laptop.
and good luck man make me proud
Again I know nothing about the Luigi matchup but look to FD/PS for counterpick/strikes, missile keep away (SH missle>standing missle) to just shut down his wavedashes, and when he's close good luck i have no idea lol

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
Coriiiiiii

Where you at
Still don't remember me?
I was the only one to go your webcast thing LOL
Posting this from koc3

Top Bottom