• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extender Grappple Button Combo (now with frame data)

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think what the game registers as you press "Z" is a light R button press and an A button press. You can see this when holding Z, as you first grab, then the shield goes up.

It could be that it registers it as repeated A button presses, because here's what I noticed about the C-stick: if you hold down R (or something to that effect, don't remember what button it was) and hold c-stick up, you'll jump repeatedly. This means it's registering a c-stick press as repeated smashes of the control stick (or something like that?).

Z could be doing the same thing: registering repeated A presses, so as the beam goes along it grabs anything.

Or not. Wild guess.

Joker

Smash Ace
Is this serisouly new to you guys?:ohwell:
Its basically just using it late, since you only get to reel in a character once this is just using it at a later time.
I thought since it was like common sense with the grapple that it didnt need to be posted:psycho:
But w/e

Respawn

Smash Journeyman
In the shadows. Or NE Ohio. Whichever sounds bette
Sorry, I didn't know. Never really took much time looking at the extended grapple beam. Since most people just press it when the beam is directly on their opponent, I didn't know whether people knew that it works when you press z/R+A when the beam was off of their opponent.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Joker, he means you could hold down Z BEFORE it retracted, and it would grab your opponent on the way back.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
All you have to do is press A or Z within a certain window (once it is fully extended and assuming you didn't press Z or A while it was on the way out) and it'll grab on the way back, no holding necessary. And yeah, that's quite old.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
At the last tourney I went to I got to play some NTSC. I then tried the extendor, and... IT ROCKS. I have to say, I'm sort of happy I don't play NTSC or I'd be doing nothing but extendor all day long even if it got me 4-stocked. I totally fail to see why this had to be removed in PAL.

Tricka

Smash Cadet
Even though its nice knowing the exact button combination I find it easier to just mash the d pad and hit z as many times as possible.

Enoc.gt

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3263 7934 7408
i dont know if anyone already said this but when you have the extended grapple you can still hook people by L+A then pressing A again when the tip reaches the opponent.

Jacot

Smash Rookie
i noticed something. i dont know if it the extended grapple (i was trying to do it) but when you jump and grapple the grapple getts longer. i also noticed that the longer grapple couldnt pull in enemys. so is it the extented grapple?

QTP

The "Sonic" of Diddy Kong
well, thanks for the help. helped me with that problem.

:)

-QTP

QTP

I dunno if this has been brought up in here yet,.

I just found this out today after hours of figuring it out (frustrating! lol.) that when you throw out the extended chain, using (L, press A) or (R, press A), and the chain goes behind you to grapple a opponent, that you HAVE to let go of (L or R), and then press (A) to grab them.

Have you ever thrown the chain before and even when you press (A) at the right time, it just does not grab them for one reason or another?!? I think this solved that problem...

-QTP

teh_nuke

Smash Cadet
I dunno if this has been brought up in here yet,.

I just found this out today after hours of figuring it out (frustrating! lol.) that when you throw out the extended chain, using (L, press A) or (R, press A), and the chain goes behind you to grapple a opponent, that you HAVE to let go of (L or R), and then press (A) to grab them.

Have you ever thrown the chain before and even when you press (A) at the right time, it just does not grab them for one reason or another?!? I think this solved that problem...

-QTP
I dont let go of anything, when it is over them I press Z to grab them when they are behind me. With the extendaaarrr I always use Z when it is over them to grab them.

QTP

I dont let go of anything, when it is over them I press Z to grab them when they are behind me. With the extendaaarrr I always use Z when it is over them to grab them.

are you throwing out the chain with (L, press A) or (R, press A)??

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
You must press the A button when the end of the grapple beam is on your opponent.

AIDS

Smash Lord
can someone please explaine why samus's grapple recovery is not always sucessfull with the bottem part of battle field, (when you grab it but it lets go) its very odd

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Any ideas on using the extended grapple, i.e. setups?

I find it's quite useful the throw the opposite way of the opponent, so that the grapple goes behind you. Catches a lot of people by surprise.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Yeah, open the match with a super wavedash > extending grapple > grab them. Best start of a match ever.

3Years

Smash Lord
Yeah, open the match with a super wavedash > extending grapple > grab them. Best start of a match ever.
thats not such a good thing 2 do for multiple reasons

1:u should chare your b as much as u can be4 your opponent gets 2 u

2:most likely your not gunna perform the swd

3:you might not space your swd right 2 where your opponent is

4:your opponent might be in the air or moving 2 where u cant grab em(if your playing a jiggs that knows wut its doin then your most likey gunna lose a stock or get a good amount of damage done)

like i said its not that great of an idea but if u know u can get it then hey go for it

p.s:only phanna's good enough 2 do that lol:chuckle:

3Years

Smash Lord
I've heard that once you do the edtender you have it for the rest of the match. Is this true or do you have to use the Z,up,down,up,Z combination everytime you want to use the extended grapple?
u have it for the rest of your stock but once u lose that stock u have 2 do it again

Top Bottom