• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extender Grappple Button Combo (now with frame data)

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was astounded when I found out no one had bothered to find out the exact button combo for this. So I ventured out and did it. If it has already been found, sorry, I did a search and nothing came up.

Z, UP DOWN UP on the dpad, Z, anywhere in frames 8-39.

Enter quickly before the grapple fully extends. You're done. Bingo.

By process of elimination, I have found this to be absolutely true.

First, I tried to find out the least amount of Z presses to do the extender. I pressed Z twice, and rotated the stick. It worked. So from there, I tried to figure out the button combonation.

I had always done it always just up and down, no left or right involved. So I knew it was only up and down. I repeated this with only up and down, and it worked. Now, what the exact combo was...

an hour later

I had narrowed it down to up and down, less than 2 times each. I tried down up down, nothing. up down, nothing. down up, nothing. up down up!

Next, was the placement of Z.

Was the combo entered before the two z presses, after the two z presses, or in between? It was pretty simpe to find out.

Last edited:

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wrong. The smashing results in you pressing up down up in between two Z's. You really think they programmed it to work when just "pressing buttons and z randomly"?

Try it yourself. Try down up down, etc, other combinations of 3 buttons that aren't up down up. It won't work. If it does, I'm mistaken.

Edit: On second thought, there might be more combinations that result in an extended grapple. I have not found any other than up down up, though.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
This is actually VERY useful, because it gets rid of the luck factor and makes the extender more practical for Samus play. Z up down up Z works 100% of the time. It doesn't require mashing or speed; it's a precise, controlled input. Knowledge like that makes the extended grapple more available to Samus players in real matches.

Good ish, Typh.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Great find typh....I almost always got it before but now I can get it everytime. <3.

Muz

Smash Apprentice
I'm also very interested in getting the exact button presses to get the extender out. I can get my grapple extended during the second throw of my grapple, but I'm having problems extending it the first time i throw out my grapple. I like to use L+A in place of Z since I can repeatedly hit the A button a lot faster than repeatedly pressing Z(plus i avoid accidentally lightshielding instead of throwing out my grapple). So I pretty much start off holding my shield up, and keep the L button held down the whole time from throwing out the grapple to it retracting.

Here's my setup for trying to figure out exactly the fewest number of button presses needed to get the extender out on the very first grapple. I go to training mode, and set the speed to 1/4, and choose flat zone as my stage since I can kill my self quickly. I kill myself if i don't succeed in one grapple, because the game seems to record how many succesful button presses you've had that life, making consecutive attempts more likely to work.

Now I'm on a fresh life, and i hold L(shield goes up, I never release L), then press A once to throw out the grapple. Then I press A, Up, Down, A before the grapple appears, but the grapple does NOT extend.(i try that out a few times, no luck)
Next I try holding L, pressing A(grapple), then pressing A, Up, Down, A once I can see the grapple, but before it comes out completely, and it still doesn't work.(i tried this also a few times)
Next I hold L, press A, then press Up, Down, A -and still no success
At this point I'm certain that you have to press Up and Down more than once, but I want to know EXACTLY how many times. Also I want to know if the button presses are gonna be in this format:

L(hold)+{A,Up,Down,A}+ {A,Up,Down,A}+{A,Up,Down,A} +...
or its something else.

anyone can help me with that?

I dont think timing is an issue, just pressing the buttons in the correct order before the grapple is fully extended. I tried extending the grapple only when its retracting on the ground, and also when i have an opponent in my hand, my neither of those seem to work at all. One interesting thing i found though is that you are able to extend the grapple in the air WHILE THE BEAM IS RETRACTING as well as when its going out, but before it disappears and you start falling, and blinking unresponsively. In this way I can get my extended grapple out easily in my first try through mashing up,down, and A all repeatedly, but of course, I can't grab anyone still until my second grapple on the ground.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
I agree with Z-N Freak.
not fair that extended grapple is in NTSC only :(
PS. post number 15 :)

DARKMIKE

Smash Apprentice
I have a question to you samus players. Why is it that some samus players disregard the extended beam? Why is it useless to them? What are your thoughts on it. Maybe i should make a post?

doyoung2win

Smash Ace
why wouldnt it be allowed? you can get around it and it leaves samus vulnerable for a longer period of time. plus i think wes did it in a few matches, just for fun

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Yay Muz learned something new. Also, reading through Muz's post, are you doing Up, Down, or Up, Down, Up? It's the latter in case you were doing the former.

lol Typh at posting this in GameFAQs first

Joker

Smash Ace
Typh your correct in your "studies"
just so you know, the combonation of buttons is :

Grab,up,down,up Grab.

Lol it sounds dumb yes, but i looked at the way you do it(which is easily the best way) and then i looked at mine.

And they have that same combination.

Yours is simpler, mine was hold L press A (as in doing the grab) continue taping A, then press Up, Down, Up on the pad.

It works perfectly for me everytime, but yours is even better ^^

Niceness :laugh:

co_and_me

Smash Lord
Personally I dont use the extended grapple because I feel it typically leaves me open way to long if i miss. I have a feeling that once you get good at using the beam you can grab people upclose but I havent used it enough to have the timing. Where do you feel it helps you? Longer range and if someone spot dodges it are ht etwo big advantages i see.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Haha. I'm still blown away by the fact I actually discovered something.

Glad to help :D

cookins2506

Smash Cadet
typh another combo i would like to know is foxes or falco when they have their little coversation. takes me anywere from 25secons to 1minute to do it.

supernova63

Smash Journeyman
wow if this is correct. to check try it like this z to start wait up wait down wait up and z at the end of the grapple.

xelad1

Smash Ace
d pad or control stick btw (falco player, but i always like to freak my friends out with something crazy) so don't kill me for not knowing :(

ue6joW

Smash Apprentice
to all the people who are afraid of leaving themselve vulnerable while extending the grapple, you can also extend it in the air. i dont know if the same button combo works, but you can extend in the air whenever its convienent.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
ue6joW said:
to all the people who are afraid of leaving themselve vulnerable while extending the grapple, you can also extend it in the air. i dont know if the same button combo works, but you can extend in the air whenever its convienent.
yes, or just do it as you grab somebody.

DARKMIKE

Smash Apprentice
Well when i use it its usually after a missle cancel. That way if they side step it will home in, wait for the side step and grab. I also use it a moment before someone hits the ground, like if their falling from doing a double jump. It may not sound like any thing helpful but its helped me in some tough cfalcon matches.

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
There is no combo.
Just press and keep pressed Z, then start to press A like crazy and the D-Pad, to anywhere you like.
In the next time you do the grapple, will be "the extender".
You can do it airborne, too.

Extendeeeeerrr o_ó

Joker

Smash Ace
:ohwell:
Umm actually Dyna, your method is actually un needed.

For you see the way ninja found to do it is even simpler than the method you mentioned, yet this newer find is simpler than ninja's

Ninja's method(the one i use) - Press and hold L or R which ever you perfer while thats held down, tap A continuosly, not furiously just continuosly, now while your taping, just input Up,Down, Up.

And if you look at your method and mine and Typh's you'll see the true method of this which i mentioned earlier.

The game only needs samus to input this combo to use extender : (Grab , up, down,up grab)

Thats all there is to it, to prove it further, if you look at all those methods listed b4 you'll see that in essence that combo input is there.

For instance in my version holding L or R and taping A does what usually??? Grabs.

In your version its the same in the sense that you use Z which is the grab button, this is also true in Typh's method.

The reason Typh's is best currently is cause its the easiest to do seeing as tho theres no need for the taping of any buttons, his gets the move the game wants straight to the point
Grab, up, down,up, Grab.

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
Ok, remind me to do not post "un needed" things.
Thank you.

pacman

Smash Rookie
yeah i like the extended beam..its useful...i like to get the extended beam out when im trying to recover..so when when im back on the stage..its all ready... my opponent doesnt see it coming..MUHAHAHAHAHAHA *evil laugh* :laugh: ...i love the look on ther face when i get it on them...

Joker

Smash Ace
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Ya SORRY DYNA bad wording on my behalf :psycho: :psycho: :psycho:

I had been up for like a day when i posted, and was too much of a jerk to re-word it after i posted :embarrass :embarrass :embarrass

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Samus247 said:
i don't think it's allowed in tournaments and so practicing with it would start bad habits. i'm not positive though.
It's perfectly fine and legal in tournaments (Extenderrrrrr)

This should answer a few questions so *stick*

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
masterwumpus said:
Now discover something else.

<3
Yessir. Is frame data good enough?

I did this inputting my 5 button combo (Z UP DOWN UP Z, or alternatively grab instead of Z, which is proven now that I have done it in AR) in the minimum 5 frames it takes to do it with.

Frame 8 of the grab is the minimum starting point I could do it in. Frame 35 was the maximum starting point I could do it in.

Add the five frames it takes to 35 and you get a range from Frame Eight to Frame 39, which is the time where you can input the button sequence as you wish.

This is interesting because frame 39 is WELL after the beam has come out, in fact I could press the final Z almost as the beam reached it's maximum length.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Just something you might want to add to your first post, so people like CO-and_me don't make the same mistake. The regular grapple and the extended grapple are out for the same amount of time, both dash grab and standing. The thing is that the extender goes out for a longer period of time, butmakes up for it by returning about 2x as fast and being abl eto grab on the way back (assuming you didn't try to grab as it was going out).

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
SDM is a LIAR!!!!..

And put the frame date in your first post TyploshionIsMe.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Get rid of your last paragraph then, loser.

Kochiha

Smash Journeyman
To think I was doing it wrong the entire time...
And did anybody already mention the homing capability? Or did I miss that?

Top Bottom