• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVOLUTION 2007= SSBM singles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ytwojay

Smash Rookie
Im sory to be so clueless, but what exactly is EVO? *runs*
The biggest and baddest competitive fighting game tournament in the world ^^;

I hope more of you guys come to SRK and post. Be sure to convince SRK staff that adding ssbm to Evo was a good idea :D

Unsafe

Smash Rookie
Hello Smash players.

I'm from SRK (but I post mainly on a sister site VFDC). I would like to say that EVO is quite possibly the greatest (and one of the oldest) fighting game tournaments in the western hemisphere. Evolution is very dedicated to preserving the compitive nature of the fighting game genre that has seen a down fall through out the years. I was very happy to see the EVO staff finally added SSBM to the roster.

I have always admired SSBM. I play Fox, not to say that I'm good or anything, but I loved the simply yet unique depth that Smash emphasizes. I remember seeing vids of smash play (the now infmaous Shined Blind vid to be exact) and thinking "Wow I can't believe this game is that deep". Of course now a days on this forum that vid gets bashed, but it was a long time ago I guess. I was impressed and started playing alot with friends trying to learn the basics of shuffling/shine combos/DI/CC/ and of course wavedashing. It was akward for me being used to playing on an arcade stick for most fighting games. Believe it or not the GC controller was my worst enemy when I first got into. I used to sit around thinking of ways to play on an arcade stick for Smash lmao! Of course I got over it (subsequently I still think smash would be better on a stick but just ignore my bs lol). Over time I enjoyed playing some amazing dudes in smash like at some of Ken's tournaments in the OC. I eventually got more serious into other fighters but I still respected and appreciated Smash's innovation, depth, and well plain *** fun gameplay.

Over time I will post some vids up of EVO in real life. It's really an experience and I hope everyone of you smash players that can make it to an EVO (in particular EVO finals) comes out and plays. I think if traditional fighting gamers see more of Smash play in person they will begin to appreciate it and respect it. I think vice versa is true as well, smash players might come to be amazed at some of the fighting games at EVO and may even try a couple of them out. The Fighting Game Community needs all the people it gets, believe it or not, it's a dying genre and some of the people over at SRK have been playing since Street Fighter 2 The World Warrior, over 15 years ago.

EVOLUTION, now for all fighting gamers! ;)

I hope to see all, the smash community is real tight and courteous.

MrWizard

EVO Founder
I want to welcome you all to Evolution 2007. If things turn out good this year, it might included in future events. Good luck to all the competitors.

The Blackstar

Smash Journeyman
This is creepy. I was just thinking (literally about 10 minutes ago) that some smashers should start emailing the EVO guys to see if they would include it in the lineup.

I can't wait for EVO north. Tinky, if you're going to more than one, we should talk about carpool.

forward

Smash Champion
It says there's an EVO South in Austin, TX. Well there is already a big tourney in Houston (Host 2) on the same weekend.

****, that kinda sucks.

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
It says there's an EVO South in Austin, TX. Well there is already a big tourney in Houston (Host 2) on the same weekend.

****, that kinda sucks.
Expect something to be done about that.

There is also a HUGE tourney in Atlanta that weekend for fighting games called Final Round 10. It's the south's "major" tourney every year. Sure, texas has a few, but the "deep south" only has final round. So... suffice it to say you can't really call something EVO south, when most of the southern players have already made plans to go somewhere else.

Expect something to be compromised.

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
thought i'd sticky this, this is pretty huge for smash and it'll be nice if everyone knows.

Smash is taken seriously now, as much as Street Fighter :)

valoem

Smash Journeyman
Omg Smash is finally recognized as a real fighting game just as it should have been a long time ago.

I recommend people go to this over any other tournament

dcx1287

Smash Lord
This is important -

Now that smash is featured for EVO, I think it's important that we start discussing smash on shoryuken.com

Like, take this topic for example:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=126505

Some are slightly wary about adding smash because they don't see many topics asking for it. The problem is, of course, the fact that smash has smashboards and "the rest" of the fighting games have shoryuken.

I think it's important that people show their support for smash on the shoryuken forums. That is all.

KoreanDJ111

Smash Lord
After taking the abuse from all the 2D players saying that smash sucks, having it shown on EVO is a BIIIIIG slap to their faces.

Thank you EVO for putting smash in the line up. You don't know how grateful me and the rest of the community are for letting this amazing opportunity happen.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
This is important -

Now that smash is featured for EVO, I think it's important that we start discussing smash on shoryuken.com

Like, take this topic for example:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=126505

Some are slightly wary about adding smash because they don't see many topics asking for it. The problem is, of course, the fact that smash has smashboards and "the rest" of the fighting games have shoryuken.

I think it's important that people show their support for smash on the shoryuken forums. That is all.
how about, no? this has been smash homepage for years, its not gonna change.

moar dickgirls, you say?
dickgirls + pedobear approved = winrar

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Evo Forum Thread

Hey guys.

I'm pretty sure that other then renegade,PC,and me no one else posted over in that forum showing support for the announcement for smash. It'd be awesome if you guys signed up over there and show that the smash community deserves a chance at this tournament.

Just so you all know allot of those guys don't like it at all that smash is in this tournament, and without our support they might not put it in next season.
I just posted over there. Anyone who hasn't really should take 5 minutes and do it. We need to show them how dedicated a community we are.

dcx1287

Smash Lord
I appreciate the support, Chillin.

Hank - I certainly wasn't suggesting that we all pack up and leave smashboards. The idea is to give them an idea about the large support smash has.

Many smashers are posting here, showing their support for smash:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=126299&page=10

It starts around page 5 or 6 (the time when smash was announced for EVO).

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Hellz. Yes. Qualifier in my hometown?! Kickass. This is my chance to show I can hang with the big boys, or at least have a lot of fun getting my *** handed to me. Can't wait. :)

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
please please guys, let's not fight over such stupid things especially if there are new mods now and woud love to start getting in the habit of warning people.

let's all stop the naming calling and step back and be greatful on such a huge opportunity for smash once again.

btw

EVO = Players from all over the globe = More competition = More craziness = More $$$$ = :chuckle:

Dopey

Smash Lord
wtf kens a mod now? his ownage has spread ohhh nooossss!

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
of course theres one, and its this march, go to the regional-southwest forums and youll find it there

kiwiii

Smash Lord
fuxing with sweet, will definitely go to at lesat one for the tourney experience.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
please please guys, let's not fight over such stupid things especially if there are new mods now and woud love to start getting in the habit of warning people.

let's all stop the naming calling and step back and be greatful on such a huge opportunity for smash once again.

btw

EVO = Players from all over the globe = More competition = More craziness = More $$$$ = :chuckle:
I wish that was true. $ wise everyone in evo gets the same amount despite turnout. 1st got $5000 last year for all the official events

Anyways I wanna say my peace....

At first I was upset...not because I don't think smash deserves to be at evo but because I know the politics of evo...all the drama...the bull**** brackets....the cheating...etc....but I took a step back and realized that smash players need to play the world. Rarely do we get a chance to face our counterparts and really see who the top player is. I wanna see the world fight not just the United States. Not only that, but maybe we can change these old mens opinions lol (hey if you look at the amount of people older then 23 its amazing lol). In all seriousness I am glad MLG dropped smash cause now smash is finally where it belongs...the fighting game community.

To the top players, ken, chu, pc, and others....good luck at evo I know you guys will own :)

I hope they pick people to run this correctly and not random ppl who dont know the game...this game should be treated with respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom