• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO RULESET ANNOUNCED. The ruleset has been updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

happypants

Smash Cadet
Panda Edit: I've hijacked this thread :D

Despite these being beta, these will mostly likely be the final ruleset minus a few tweaks in the next week. We just wanted to put them out there so people can discuss and make valid points.

Arguing in this thread in a non-civil manner will get you a ban ( no warnings required.)

Evo Brawl Beta Ruleset Revision 19
These rules are tentative and subject to change at any time.

First game of a match to be played on Smashville. Players can decide to play on any map, if both players agree.
Excessive stalling or abusing terrain to not engage the enemy is prohibited, and can be enforced by a tournament director only. This will result in a loss of the match.
Losing player can pick a new stage or new character, not both.
Winner keeps character (users of Samus/Zamus, Zelda/Shiek, and Pokemon Trainer are currently ALLOWED to change which character/mode they start in even after a win) but must select character/mode before other player has to choose stage/character.
3 Stock, 5 Min timer, 2/3 Games
Items on medium spawn.
Sudden Death will not decide the outcome of the game.
Allowed Items: Banana Peel, Unira, Spring, Mr. Saturn, Green Shell, Smoke Ball, Freezie, Super Scope, Sandbag, Food, Screw Attack, Warp Star, Metal Box, Bunny Hood, Beam Sword, Baseball Bat, Lip's Stick, Star Rod, Hothead, Smash Ball, Ray Gun, Pitfall, Cracker Launcher, Motion-Sensor Bomb, Hammer, Golden Hammer, Bumper, Franklin Badge.
Banned Stages: New Pork City, Hyrule Temple, Warioware, Spear Pillar, Flat Zone 2, Original Mario Brothers, Mushroomy Kingdom.

since its clear people dont read any other posts that the first one, ill just edit this one

Ok so im glad to see people are being some what constructive on the rules, they are beta and can be changed. First let me adresss some of the concerns.

The stock life was intended to make several matches so that you could mix up characters and stages if you needed a counter character. It seems most people dont like that change as posted. Moving it to 4 minutes is out of the question if staying at 3/5 matches, but we can move it to 3 stock/ 5 minutes 2/3 if that is better.

On my original list for rules Sudden Death was turned off, and it was the higher percentage wins after the round. There is zero options to turn this off, and people had stated this was the way to go. We can reverse the change if that many people are displeased with the sudden death finisher. WE just have to be have very skilled judges that watch for the percentages as the round comes to a end.

The excessive stalling rule is not what you think it is, and would almost never be called in tournament play. Its just to prevent people from going under the stage and going where it is extremely hard to hit someone. If you are on the left wall defending yourself by throwing items at the other player, that is fine. Turtling is a part of the game, so we wont interfere. The rule is only there for stage exploitation. If there is no human contact with each other in a few minutes, then im pretty sure we would call it. It is not meant for turtling or chain grabbing or anything where you are still engaging the enemy. We could also just eliminate that rule since Evo has the rule we reserve the right to change the rules at any time for any reason, but putting this out there deters people from even trying it.

The custom stage was only brought up because I asked around and zero people could come up with a neutral stage to play on. I had previously thought that Final Destination was a fair stage, but many people disagreed, and said it was super unfair now. If everyone can come up with a stage that is neutral im all for it. Otherwise we will use a custom stage that is super basic and favors no one. Smashville anyone?

Most stages in smash are super controversial. They offer alot of BS to exploit and have crazy things to do. We are open to adding more stages to tbe ban list, but you have to provide reasoning on why it should be banned along with some evidence. Mushroomy kingdom was banned because you can get stuck behind the pipes, and norfair seems to be 95% lava. If I wrong on that, tell me and ill review the stages.

Those are my initial thoughts, keep it constructive and we will see what we can do to make it better.

Thanks.
Thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=155899

ipreferpi

Smash Apprentice
Having one custom stage being the norm will give certain characters automatic advantages, just like how characters with projectiles have advantages on Final Destination.

Also, I am laughing at the list of allowed items. Mostly the smash ball. I mean, yeah, the smash ball is totally a fair item.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm going to hope that the lack of 75m on the banned list is simply an oversight.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Two stock and three minutes? Most matches for me with the first stock can take 2-3 minutes. Although I don't agree with two stock, if you were to do it with two stock I'd move up the time limit to four or five minutes.

menofuntall

Smash Cadet
Ugh, I don't like some of these items at all. Ray Gun? Super Scope? Hammer? Golden Hammer?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
lol smash balls AND golden hammers. I'm sure that'll be a blast. What a joke.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
No Assist Trophies? *Emo*

But um yeah this is hilariously bad.

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
"Excessive stalling or abusing terrain to not engage the enemy is not prohibited, and can be enforced by a tournament director only. This will result in a loss of the match."

If stalling is NOT prohibited, how can it result in a loss of the match?

Is this a typo or just strange wording (double negatives FTL?)

Crystanium

Smash Hero
They should put the stock up to three or four and extend the time to at least seven minutes. Items are for those who lack skill. The only time they are beneficial is when your opponent is using them against you. Show him or her how it feels!

Ugh, I don't like some of these items at all. Ray Gun? Super Scope? Hammer? Golden Hammer?
The Hammer has lost its touch over the Super Smash Bros. series. In the first one, everyone feared it, because it could KO you instantly. In Melee, characters like Samus, Link, and Young Link could easily grab their opponent and throw him or her off the stage. Now, in Brawl, it's not even a threat anymore. Donkey Kong just needs to charge up his B attack and punch the fool who wields it. Characters who come out after dying can also take advantage of their invincibility and defeat the one who defeated them. The Ray Gun is a different story.

Grandeza

Smash Master
"Excessive stalling or abusing terrain to not engage the enemy is not prohibited, and can be enforced by a tournament director only. This will result in a loss of the match."

If stalling is NOT prohibited, how can it result in a loss of the match?

Is this a typo or just strange wording (double negatives FTL?)
I saw the same thing. These rules are hilarious.

menofuntall

Smash Cadet
The Hammer has lost its touch over the Super Smash Bros. series. In the first one, everyone feared it, because it could KO you instantly. In Melee, characters like Samus, Link, and Young Link could easily grab their opponent and throw him or her off the stage. Now, in Brawl, it's not even a threat anymore. Donkey Kong just needs to charge up his B attack and punch the fool who wields it. Characters who come out after dying can also take advantage of their invincibility and defeat the one who defeated them. The Ray Gun is a different story.
Well, I guess. But in a match with 2 stocks, it could really just become a battle for the Golden Hammer when it's down 1 to 1. Especially against those whom I guess don't have anything they can do about the Hammer, like Sonic...well, maybe except for run around and throw springs.

Speaking of Sonic, if you happen to play him and get a Smash Ball, you win. Instantly. Same goes for Falco. Super Smash Bros. Go For the Smash Ball at its finest.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Well, I guess. But in a match with 2 stocks, it could really just become a battle for the Golden Hammer when it's down 1 to 1. Especially against those whom I guess don't have anything they can do about the Hammer, like Sonic...well, maybe except for run around and throw springs.

Speaking of Sonic, if you happen to play him and get a Smash Ball, you win. Instantly. Same goes for Falco. Super Smash Bros. Go For the Smash Ball at its finest.
Or consider Olimar's Final Smash. It's an instant KO, because you can't escape it, and when Olimar comes back down and aims for you, you're dead. Cheap attacks.

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
Those items... Well items at all can't be in a tourney, but having the Ray Gun, Hammers, and Smash Balls? What the hell?

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Cool these rules are so much better than no items 3 stock. i think im gonna play with these rulles 4 now on.
anyone know were i can get custom stages from?

these rules make it fair for any to play on not just pros. :pikachu:

Puts on teh flame helmet.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
Cool these rules are so much better than no items 3 stock. i think im gonna play with these rulles 4 now on.
anyone know were i can get custom stages from?

these rules make it fair for any to play on not just pros. :pikachu:

Puts on teh flame helmet.
Rules are not supposed to make lower skilled players be able to compete with better players. (Yes, thats what you meant by "fair" not just for pros) In fact, it should make sure the better skilled players are the ones winning. What you just said defeats the purpose of competitive play.

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
EVO can't seriously be deciding to use these rules. No competitive player is going to take their tournaments seriously if that is the case, including myself. I was looking forward to attending Evo World in August but if they decide to use those rules then....no.

orochizoolander

Smash Rookie
LOL typical smashboards idiots *****ing about items.

I think the time should be increased to 4 or 5 minutes but otherwise all the rules seem very balanced and fair to me, at SRK we go by our rules and what we think is fair if you don't like it them simply don't attend the biggest brawl tourney in the U.S.

At SRK we been having tournaments for the past 2months to test what should and shouldn't be at EVO and this is the collection of what we've come up with. Most items are left in for the same reason we don't ban any characters and those who don't like items are usually the ones who lose to them and are too unskilled to do anything about them. If it's in the game then unless it is blatantly broken like akuma in super turbo then we don't ban it. For example most people here on smashboards hate smashballs in tournaments because they think it gives the lesser skilled player an undeserved chance to win but if you are truly the better player then you would be able to get the smashball before they do.

Instead of whining and coming off as a scrub try being pragmatic, if any of you has a problem with any of these rules then post a logical and civil reason here http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=155899 of why you think any of the rules should change.

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace
For example most people here on smashboards hate smashballs in tournaments because they think it gives the lesser skilled player an undeserved chance to win but if you are truly the better player then you would be able to get the smashball before they do.
Smash Ball appears while you're recovering.

GG.

Smash ball appears right in front of Dedede's fsmash or something.

GG.

orochizoolander

Smash Rookie
Smash Ball appears while you're recovering.

GG.

Smash ball appears right in front of Dedede's fsmash or something.

GG.
**** happens, too bad for the guy facing d3 then.

At EVO no one has ever even seriously thought about banning magneto, storm, sentinel, or cable in MVC2 who are a million times more "broken" then every item in brawl combined because marvel players man up and deal with it and prove they can be beaten instead of whining and complaining about it.

Personally I don't care whether items are on or off, but when you think about it logically there is no reason NOT to have most items on because if they aren't then you aren't playing the game the way it was designed to be played. All smashboards ppl say items are "cheap" or "broken" and say how easy it is to win with items...but where is the proof? On SRK we keep all items on until they have been definitively proven to be broken or whatever, and if you honestly believe any item on that list is "broken" or "cheap" then prove it by abusing it to victory.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
^^^^/^ *Disclaimer: Extreme exaggeration used*

So by that logic, if Player A (more skilled) and Player B (less skilled) are playing on FD and golden hammers keep appearing in front of Player B every 30 seconds and Player A happens to be on the other side of the stage every time this happens, the better player should still win even if the ratio of skill is 1.00000000000....1:1 (A:B)

Anth0ny

Smash Master

I think the time should be increased to 4 or 5 minutes but otherwise all the rules seem very balanced and fair to me, at SRK we go by our rules and what we think is fair if you don't like it them simply don't attend the biggest brawl tourney in the U.S.

At SRK we been having tournaments for the past 2months to test what should and shouldn't be at EVO and this is the collection of what we've come up with. Most items are left in for the same reason we don't ban any characters and those who don't like items are usually the ones who lose to them and are too unskilled to do anything about them. If it's in the game then unless it is blatantly broken like akuma in super turbo then we don't ban it. For example most people here on smashboards hate smashballs in tournaments because they think it gives the lesser skilled player an undeserved chance to win but if you are truly the better player then you would be able to get the smashball before they do.

Instead of whining and coming off as a scrub try being pragmatic, if any of you has a problem with any of these rules then post a logical and civil reason here http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=155899 of why you think any of the rules should change.

Then the better player should be able to play on New Pork City, right? I mean, it's big, so what? The better player should be able to overcome that! Wario Ware? Pfft. The better player should be able to overcome those stage hazards!

Those rules are ****ing retarted. 'nuff said. I mean, I didn't think Brawl would return to Evo next year even with normal rules, but these pathetic rules just put over9000 nails into it's coffin.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman

And 1 hit kill Final Smashes are not blatantly broken because? You do know the smashball spawns at random and in random places right? So the whole "better players get it first" concept is pretty illogical. And since Smash has always been a game of highly varied speed in characters, someone like Fox--who is not only fast. But also has a very over powered Final Smash now has a unfair advantage over some one like, Ness. Who has a terrible Final Smash. Not only that but, Falco's Final Smash has been known to take TWO STOCKS! You clearly have not done the testing you claim to have done. An item like a hammer randomly given to one character is not skill. Its luck.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
**** happens, too bad for the guy facing d3 then.

At EVO no one has ever even seriously thought about banning magneto, storm, sentinel, or cable in MVC2 who are a million times more "broken" then every item in brawl combined because marvel players man up and deal with it and prove they can be beaten instead of whining and complaining about it.

Personally I don't care whether items are on or off, but when you think about it logically there is no reason NOT to have most items on because if they aren't then you aren't playing the game the way it was designed to be played. All smashboards ppl say items are "cheap" or "broken" and say how easy it is to win with items...but where is the proof? On SRK we keep all items on until they have been definitively proven to be broken or whatever, and if you honestly believe any item on that list is "broken" or "cheap" then prove it by abusing it to victory.
Those are not RANDOM factors silly. Every player can choose the characters. Final Smashes appearing in front of your opponent and then giving him the match is totally random. I'm starting to think this rule set is a joke. To see how the smash community would respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom