• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo Entrant Numbers Finalized: Smash 4: 1926 - Melee: 1869

TriTails

Smash Lord
Smash 4 has more attendants than Melee? I guess I shouldn't be surprised. The game is new overall (Not even a year old. Derp), and there's lots more characters to play, especially since customs are on. Personally, I dislike watching Melee because... well, it's 2 fast for me...

But hey hey! 3K of Smashers, that number is like... whoa.

Let's not bite our own skin guys. Let's be happy that Smash 4 and Melee are here! No more of this Smash 4 vs Melee, both are very solid competitive games, and we should be glad with 'em.

Has the brackets been organized?

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Glad another Smash game is becoming dominant. Melee's gotten too stale, CEO was a snorefest for doubles and singles.

AaronSMASH

Smash Apprentice
You do realize melee has more usuable/applicable/useful techs that were discovered during the first year or so then sm4sh right?
(/BillNyeVoice)
Strange. By my calculations, Smash Wii U still has...*looks down and taps on calculator*.... exactly 143 days until it is one year old (*looks down and taps on calculator again* that's almost 40% of a year!), which would make your comparison more than a little silly. Wouldn't you agree?

And that's not even taking into account previous and upcoming patches which could potentially contain hidden treasures just waiting to be found!
(/BillNyeVoiceEnd)

However, I reserve the right to be wrong. =)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Smashers, both of these are crazy awesome numbers. In 2012 there were zero Smash players at EVO. This year Smashers will be a third of the 10,000 players. Melee, a game that is nearly 15 years old, has grown at EVO every year it's been there and has nearly doubled its players from just a year ago. Smash Wii U, in it's own right, has the best first year appearance of any game at EVO ever and second best showing of all time.

This stuff is crazy - and while the Smash community may be divided by many games now, we are still a single Smash community with a deep, long history. Every Smash game is made stronger when a player of any single game supports their fellow Smashers.

Last edited:

CelloLuCC

Smash Apprentice
are you serious? Doubles was insane! Singles eqs great too. Plup vs Mango had me standing up biting my nails

(/PhoenixWrightVoice)
After reading your post, I have concluded you missed the whole point! During the time sm4sh has been out, melee had the same amount of techs discovered roughly. However, Sm4sh techs are nearly useless! When do you see people perfect pivoting in matches? According to my calculations, the number is.. Zero!(/PhoenixWroghtVoiceEnds()
Sorry if that came out ***holeish.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Smash 4 has more entrants? If we do the math, 269 participants are unaccounted for.

If that really is the case, I'm honestly surprised to be quite honest.
Still, I am glad that both Smash communities will be having a large amount of entrants, the combined total will give Smash as much as (or even more than) Street Fighter 4 entrants.

We have truly established ourselves as a fighting game community. May this be a good year at EVO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
Regardless of which Smash game you love to play, lets take a moment and realize that Smash finally proved the doubters wrong. For years, Smash players were mocked, insulted, and told to go play a "real" fighting game instead of Smash. No matter how much we tried to showcase our talents, we could never get the respect we deserved.

But these numbers prove what the Smash community has always known, that we could hang with the other fighting game series, that Smash deserved its place alongside other fighting games. It does not matter if you are a 64, Melee, Brawl, Project M, or Smash 4 fan.

Regardless of where you stand in terms of the Smash Bros game that you prefer to play, lets keep in mind one thing. We finally proved that we deserve a place on the big stage, showcasing our talent with Smash to the world.

Think about this, Melee and Smash 4 beat Mortal Kombat, Guilty Gear, Marvel vs Capcom, Tekken, and Killer Instinct to get here. All the years of being mocked and told to go sit in a corner while other fighting games got the limelight, and we as a community endured. We fought tooth and nail, and it finally paid off.

Not only did we prove that Smash can hang with the big boys, if numbers are anything to go by, we're alot more popular in terms of players then they are.

This is not the time to concern ourselves over which game rode the others coattails or which one is deeper on a mechanical level.

Because it does not matter. Smash will be at Evo, and outside of Street Fighter, nothing at the even will be bigger then Smash Bros. Not Tekken, not Mortal Kombat, none of the other games will grab the attention that Smash will.

We should all be proud. We finally made it to the big stage, and we proved the doubters wrong.

Last edited:

AaronSMASH

Smash Apprentice
are you serious? Doubles was insane! Singles eqs great too. Plup vs Mango had me standing up biting my nails

(/PhoenixWrightVoice)
After reading your post, I have concluded you missed the whole point! During the time sm4sh has been out, melee had the same amount of techs discovered roughly. However, Sm4sh techs are nearly useless! When do you see people perfect pivoting in matches? According to my calculations, the number is.. Zero!(/PhoenixWroghtVoiceEnds()
Sorry if that came out ***holeish.
Funny you should mention that, because I thought the same thing when I watched tournament matches. "Why is nobody using perfect pivots"?, I thought to myself.

However, when I began implimenting PP during my matches I noticed that it's actually very hard to recognize because many attacks will cancel the slide animation (and the dust) making it all but unrecognizable to the untrained eye. It just appears as though they threw an attack out because it registers in your mind all as one motion making it especially hard to notice in youtube videos (because of the quality/fps).

After this discovery I went back to look at a few of the best quality youtube matches that I could find and it turns out that number isn't zero. Far from it, in fact. And while you won't see anyone spamming it, (as it isn't applicable in any given situation) you will notice that it is being used with increasing frequency as players begin to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to....shall we say.... GIT GUD.

Let's not forget that the game is less than 2/3 of a year old and NOBODY (including ZeRo) is anywhere CLOSE to 'mastering' the game.

How long do you think it was before the first true 'gods' of Melee started dominating the scene?

I can tell you that it wasn't within the first year, although I don't remember when exactly.

I will reiterate: Smash Wii U still has 143 days until it's birthday (39.1% of a year)

PCHU

Smash Lord
Glad another Smash game is becoming dominant. Melee's gotten too stale, CEO was a snorefest for doubles and singles.
Really?
I thought it was a great showing in both Melee and Smash 4, especially with HBox's Jigglypuff in Smash 4.
If anything, it seemed like Smash 4 singles was a little lacking since I was genuinely expecting someone to be able to take out Zero, or at least find a way to more consistently win the 50/50 on Sheik's throw -> uair.

Melee was just as fast-paced and interesting at always, even with double Fox in Grand Finals.
I don't know how much of either you play, but generally the more time you invest in a game, the more you grow to appreciate the intricacies of the game itself as well as the talented people playing it.
I'm not saying you're wrong for not enjoying Melee anymore, but I'd say it was far from a snorefest; it's not often you see double Luigi teams ripping others apart.

Browny

Smash Hater
Warning Received
I am so ready for Smash 4 to take the main stage and witness the emotional breakdown of Melee fanboys.

You want sponsors, you want e-sports, you want nintendo involvement. Be careful what you wish for, because you just got it. The thing is; you dont get to choose what game Nintendo sponsors and what game the sponsors demand take the main stage.

Heres a hint; its not going to be the game that isn't sold anymore, the sponsors prefer to promote the current game, allowing them to make big $. Just like you guys always wanted.

btw I donated like $120+ to Evo 2013, I enter melee tournaments. I just love the drama of melee fans seething at the fact that smash 4 is more popular.

WHO CARES LOL.

Last edited:

CelloLuCC

Smash Apprentice
Fair enough, I guess pp is implemented in games, my b. I still think techs in sm4sh are significantly less important then melee's are, but I guess I was wrong there.

as for Browny, seriously dude that's just hatred. That's disgusting.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
honestly it is subjective. But, I think it should be understood, I guess. I think Sm4sh is cool and I think they did earn it, personally. The reason I said that is because too many people think "it's our turn because you got yours"

As for iceweasel, dude you are way behind. Melee earned our spot, we were on the mlg circuit before brawl existed. Dude idk where you though you helped us in that sense LMAO. And btw, why do you attack melee and claim we can't coexist with you? I haven't seen much sm4sh hate just yet (although I have seen brawl hate) and I see melee hate ALL THE TIME. (and btw calling sm4sh slower than melee or calling it less technical isn't hate, its kinda fact, dude)

EDIT: my b I mean pidgeo on the first part.
did you completely miss evo 2013 when the entire smash community pitched in to get melee into it? funny how quickly you guys forget about anyone's help when they also have a shot at the spotlight, isn't it?

also, i'm a 64 player. i don't care which of these two games gets more entrants. i call it like i see it.

Last edited:

Thundering TNT

Smash Cadet
I'm a little mixed on my feelings about being in the Smash comunity right now.
On one hand, this is an amazing turnout for both games, and it is truly amazing (and a little surprising tbh) that each got so many entrants, and makes me look forward to the tremendous growth that we may have in the years to come.
On the other, I'm disappointed in, and slightly embarrassed of, the community for the way we behave toward one another. For those of us that don't play Melee competitively, we should be excited for the members of the community that do to have so many entrants, not berating them. Melee players should be congradulating Sm4sh for such a large turnout at the game's first EVO, not trying to make excuses as to why there are more entrants than there are for Melee. Honestly, I don't think we'll ever grow and prosper as a community of Smash players if we continue to have so much hate for people who simply play a different game in the series. In my opinion, this community needs to all grow up a little bit and realize that whether someone is playing the incredible, 15 year old game that is always expanding, or the new blood that is growing possibly faster than anyone ever could have predicted, we are all playing SMASH, and we are all playing a series that we love.

Last edited:

CelloLuCC

Smash Apprentice
90% (not an actual number) was melee, if I can recall.
funny how some people jump to conclusions and somehow still hate something inexplicably.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
Quick guys, we can STILL turn this awesomeness into pointless arguments and ruin it for the BOTH games! I would personally recommend players to diss the respective Smash titles they are not playing, that way we can split the community once again, instead contributing to a common good. There is still hope, remember Brawl!
I loled

I couldn't have mocked the minority arguments any better than this! :troll: my salutations, sir.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
90% (not an actual number) was melee, if I can recall.
funny how some people jump to conclusions and somehow still hate something inexplicably.
wonder where you got that number from? i, too, remember identifying myself by my favourite smash game when making a donation to breast cancer research.

it's almost like melee appealed to 64, brawl, and pm, but mostly brawl, because it needed it to surpass skullgirls which was right on its heels.

like i said, desperate to forget. also don't be flapping your jaw at "jumping to conclusions" when you assumed i was a smash 4 player just for being sick of the double standards from you guys. don't make me laugh.

I'm a little mixed on my feelings about being in the Smash comunity right now.
On one hand, this is an amazing turnout for both games, and it is truly amazing (and a little surprising tbh) that each got so many entrants, and makes me look forward to the tremendous growth that we may have in the years to come.
On the other, I'm disappointed in, and slightly embarrassed of, the community for the way we behave toward one another. For those of us that don't play Melee competitively, we should be excited for the members of the community that do to have so many entrants, not berating them. Melee players should be congradulating Sm4sh for such a large turnout at the game's first EVO, not trying to make excuses as to why there are more entrants than there are for Melee. Honestly, I don't think we'll ever grow and prosper as a community of Smash players if we continue to have so much hate for people who simply play a different game in the series. In my opinion, this community needs to all grow up a little bit and realize that whether someone is playing the incredible, 15 year old game that is always expanding, or the new blood that is growing possibly faster than anyone ever could have predicted, we are all playing SMASH, and we are all playing a series that we love.
honestly anyone who is upset about smash 4 getting more entrants, making excuses for it, and already whining about how they didn't "earn it" needs to man the **** up. just because they watched a documentary about how melee's scene was actually threatened in 2008 doesn't mean history is repeating itself. i swear to god it's like half these people just desperately want to belong to something and can't figure out how to contribute anything meaningful and instead opt to **** on everyone else. pathetic.

CelloLuCC

Smash Apprentice
Get read lmao. I never said you were a sm4sh player. You jumped to the conclusion.

also to clarify in an earlier post, I never said sm4sh didn't earn their spot, but things like this ought to earn their spot.

Last edited:

PCHU

Smash Lord
I am so ready for Smash 4 to take the main stage and witness the emotional breakdown of Melee fanboys.
If it ever does "exceed" Melee, I genuinely hope the game will get some better patches.
It's not awful as-is (it's the best Nintendo-balanced Smash title thus far), but the difference between 4 and Melee is that 4 can be changed, and I genuinely want it to change for the better in both character balance and general feel.

Dreamtastic72

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dreamtastic72
3DS FC
4055-4504-6947
Well this is surprising. You would think Melee would have more players because of how popular it is but nope, Smash Wii U beats it in that regard. This is very interesting.

Browny

Smash Hater
Fair enough, I guess pp is implemented in games, my b. I still think techs in sm4sh are significantly less important then melee's are, but I guess I was wrong there.

as for Browny, seriously dude that's just hatred. That's disgusting.
Nah man it isnt hatred. I like watching melee and you can be very sure ill be up watching melee at Evo.

I just find it hilarious how so many people get so mad and defensive at the fact that smash 4 is more popular.

If melee got more entrants, people would be like 'cool, smash is fun!'
smash 4 gets more entrants and people are like 'its riding off the success of melee, easy game to get into = more entrants but less depth, dont you take the main stage away from us'.

So many people are incapable of being happy for the fact that smash 4 is popular. Just... why.

Melee fanboys dont care that SF4 is more popular, why cant they similarly not care that S4 got more entrants, is it really that much of a personal attack to them that they have to post nonsense like it only being because of melee being popular... right. Most of the smash 4 crowd was like, 5 years old when melee came out LOL.

StR!p

Smash Rookie
NNID
SlayerTwix
3DS FC
4871-3864-3022
I don't care wich one of this Smash games got more people for tournament, I just love to see that Smash is the one with more entries and the one who will have the most amazing community :estatic:

CelloLuCC

Smash Apprentice
Well, firstly, I apologize for the misconception. My b. (that never gets old)

honestly though, I haven't actually seen someone complain sm4sh is "more popular" (it has like 50 more entrants) and honealty I don't think people care. Lmao.

John Onefifteen

Smash Cadet
NNID
johnthejunebug

Smash fans were all waiting on the edge of their seats to see what the final entry numbers would be for Smash at Evo 2015 and they would not be disappointed. Both Smash games were in the top 3 games with most entrants and the crossover entering both events was not overly large meaning there will be an abundance of Smash players at the event!

The official numbers? Melee boasted a stunning 1869 entrants and Smash 4 a whopping 1926! There are only 516 entering both events, so the crossover is rather minimal.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

So how did we compare to the other fighters at Evo this year? Mr. Wizard gave us all the signups as well in a Tweet:

Game Entries At Evo 2015

Street Fighter 4 Ultra - 2227
Smash 4 - 1926
Melee - 1869
Mortal Kombat X - 1162
Guilty Gear - 968
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 - 816
Tekken 7 - 458
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - 437
Killer Instinct - 397​

Brackets have even popped up for the event but with "DRAFT posted all over their backs and Mr. Wizard himself warning they are in no way official yet they are more of a curiosity to watch and cross fingers over for now. If this doesn't have fans Smash excited for Evo 2015 nothing will! Be sure to get excited in the comments below and get aboard that hype train to Evo 2015!

SmashCapps is now jittery with excitement that he'll be able to report the news live at Evo for Smashboards! To share in his excitement be sure to follow him on Twitter.
nobody is going into evo trying to get 1st for sm4sh but ZeRo, everyone else is just trying to get 2nd place cause they all know ZeRo won't lose lololol:shiro:

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
Eh. I really wish there weren't two smash games at EVO. It just seems like a waste since there are also other awesome competitive fighting game communities out there. Honestly? If I had to get rid of one it would be Melee. I personally think the meta was developed long ago and it just isn't that interesting to watch anymore.
Man it's risky to say certain stuff. Melee has a developed meta yes but it still grows, it's not like the meta just stops where it's now, this ain't 20XX yet

Last edited:

Flambo237

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flambo237
No guys you have it all wrong. Sm4sh has more entrants because a very large secret society of professional bountyhunters have entered the tournament, unbeknownst to the EVO staff, to collect the bounty on ZeRo.
:yeahboi: :yeahboi: :yeahboi: :yeahboi: :yeahboi:

Collectively, we did by quite a longshot :) It's just split into 2 flavors of smash.

Sm4sh grew out of Melee hype. Most of the great things that happened to the Sm4sh community stemmed from Melee (I.e. ZeRo). When I saw Sm4sh for the first time I was skeptical and relatively disappointed, however I still raised $300+ to buy a Wii U and its Smash accessories because I'm a big fan of Smash due to Melee and Project M. Sm4sh is great in its own right, but I don't think it's great enough to where we can say that Melee is piggybacking off of it. U feel me?
I see where you're coming from but why would SM4SH have more entries it doesn't add up.

Flambo237

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flambo237
No actually. Melee is the reason sm4sh has a spot at evo.It's the other way around
The only reason melee is there is because 75% of the smash community would be pissed off if SM4SH was there instead of melee no smash game would be there if nintendo didn't sponsor the event most likely.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
WEven the mods are biased - Melee players can deliberately antagonize Brawl and Sm4sh players and get off scott-free, while a mild jab at Melee players will be met with some action from the mods.
Case in point, this thread. Literally every warned comment is anti-Melee.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Case in point, this thread. Literally every warned comment is anti-Melee.
Did you ever stop to think that it's because we haven't found someone with a bias for Sm4sh that is mature enough to be trusted with modship? :troll:
The real reason tho, Sm4sh simply hasn't been getting the radical hate that you see against Melee in this thread. Review the thread like I have and you'll see a bit of speculation and some rebuttals to Melee riding Sm4sh, but nobody is saying that Sm4sh should die or that it shouldn't be at EVO. The hate has been exclusively anti-Melee and consequently the warned posts will be Melee hate. Fact check, dawg.
I see where you're coming from but why would SM4SH have more entries it doesn't add up.
Not exactly sure what this about but I'll reply since you quoted me. Sm4sh has a lot of entrants because people enjoy playing it. Yes it gained popularity in the beginning simply because of its name, but it proved to be a fun game despite not being what some people hoped for.

Last edited:

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
I'm hearing a lot of reasons why either Melee or Sm4sh should get the stage:
-Sm4sh needs to earn its place. What does that even mean? That's such an arbitrary thing to say that no one can understand what "earn it" means. If you ask me, Sm4sh has "earned it" because the Sm4sh sub-community has grown at a tremendous rate, and the people are having fun playing the game and being apart of the smash family.
-Melee did it by it's self, Sm4sh should too. Melee did NOT do it by itself, it had help from the 64 and Brawl sub-communities. Besides, if the Melee sub-community is tired of being called a bunch of elitists by everyone else, they need to stop making such remarks and support the smash family. Likewise, Sm4sh players need to grow thicker skin and not be so sensitive, continue growing and love your smash family.
-Sm4sh is getting the money from Nintendo. So what? Should we give any less focus to the other games? Should we also use this as a reason to not support Sm4sh? It sucks that Nintendo didn't give any attention to the older children, especially since you see the youngest and newest child get all the attention. Guess what, you still need to support and love you younger brothers and sisters because we're a smash family.
-Melee already got its turn, give Sm4sh a chance to shine! This sounds like a bunch of 2 year olds fighting over a toy. Difference is that one of these 2 year olds is actually a fully grown adult...I'm talking to you Melee. Be the adult and let the kid have the toy. Sm4sh is your younger sibling, treat them nicely, they're also apart of the smash family.
Notice how much I mention smash being a family? BECAUSE WE ARE!

shapular

Smash Ace
You can say Smash 4 has more entrants than Melee because it's more approachable or whatever, but in the end it's really because more people like to play Smash 4 than Melee. Melee isn't the perfect game you guys make it out to be.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
Honestly?
I enjoy Smash 4, however, I have not given any other game in the franchise the time and attention I give to smash 4.
I do like keeping up with Melee and Project M tournaments along with Smash 4. They're all fun to watch.
The fact that all of the games cant understand they're different is beyond me. If smash 4 truly was a low skill cap game, we would be seeing varied tournament results in the Smash 4 community.
However. ZeRo is on a what? 37 tourney win streak now?
Melee and Project M are most definitely games that require extensive amount of tech skill. I don't think anyone's arguing that here. Its fact those games are faster paced and require more tech skill.
However, this does not mean Smash 4 should be labeled as a casual game. Smash 4 does require skill. The game is played more defensively to an extent, sure. Doesn't mean its easy to play.
I've seen a lot of arguments talking about how Smash 4 or Melee have not earned a spot into Evo.
What exactly defines "earned?"
I think if the game is in the top 3 for amount of entrants for Evo, it's definitely earned it.
If a game that's been played for years has an astonishing amount of entrants, why shouldn't it be played? The same goes for a recent game. This bridges out to games past Smash. If a game has a ridiculous amount of entrants, it should be played.
I'll be eagerly watching any and all smash iterations played in any major, and I'm positive I'm not the only one with this mindset.

Top Bottom