• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo Entrant Numbers Finalized: Smash 4: 1926 - Melee: 1869

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Sm4sh is riding off of Melee.
Sm4sh was definitely kickstarted by Melee, but at this point I think that neither game is truly riding off of another. I could be wrong, but I'd like to think that these games are strong by themselves. That being said, to say Melee is riding off of Sm4sh is absurd. Melee is riding off of its amazing, supportive, and growing community, just like Sm4sh is with its own.
Eh. I really wish there weren't two smash games at EVO.snip snip. If I had to get rid of one it would be Melee. snip snip
Get your cheeky pitchfork out of here =P
For a more serious reply: I play all iterations of Smash (sans Brawl) so I really don't know what it's like to dislike or not be a part of a large part of the Smash community. You may have some reason for disliking Melee that I don't know about. Claiming that a certain part of the Smash community should die is really grimy though. You can't decide these things with arguments or opinion. The game is where the players are. And the Melee players are going to EVO.

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
Melee is riding off the SM4SH hype that's why it has been getting more entries recently. During the Brawl age this had a negative effect because people thought it was gonna be melee 2.0, so melee died down a little due to the new game and mlg dropping them from the pro circuit, but after pm started getting popular melee kick back up then started at a steady pace again, the same will happen with SM4SH after that melee will too. So stop asking why SM4SH has so many, instead ask the question about melee. I fail to see why people don't get this.Why can't we just be happy for both games, this is SMASHboards after all.
No actually. Melee is the reason sm4sh has a spot at evo.It's the other way around

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
A reminder that this is exciting news for the SMASH COMMUNITY, which both Melee and Sm4sh are a part of. Let's be happy both are seeing such love (with more individual entrants each than the next game series, Mortal Kombat X). and a huge grand total of 3279 UNIQUE players repping this wonderful series.

This is NOT about Melee vs Sm4sh.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Why does this always become a Smash 4 vs Melee debate? This is childish. Grow up already! Geez...

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
If I wanted to read a comments section full of circle jerking over which game is better, I'd go the main smash bros reddit smh! -_-

Can't we all just be glad our series has over 3,000 total players combined attending this year's EVO?

Last edited:

CelloLuCC

Smash Apprentice
I didn't read every post here, but I think people should hear this quote:
"Just because someone else earned their spot doesn't mean its someone else's turn, they have to earn it, like we did." -@TSM_L3FF3N (paraphrased)

Don't get me wrong, I don't think any Smash game is particularly better then another, and I'm glad both got great numbers. But, I think Sm4sh ought to earn there spot @ the main stage.

Last edited:

Cheeftain

Smash Rookie
Sm4sh is cool to watch.... Until Dabuz comes in with his boring ass Rosalina...

Bazkip

Smash Master
The difference is only 57 entrants, why are people getting salty or gloating that's practically insignificant.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
so RPS with combos > RPS without combos > RPS with wavedashing

Also love how such a small gap in entrants = MELEE IS DED, SMASH 4 IS KING
If you're actually going that route I dont think you can ignore how everything before this Melee had more entrants, and even at some places PM had more

Last edited:

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
"Just because someone else earned their spot doesn't mean its someone else's turn, they have to earn it, like we did." -@TSM_L3FF3N (paraphrased)

Don't get me wrong, I don't think any Smash game is particularly better then another, and I'm glad both got great numbers. But, I think Sm4sh ought to earn there spot @ the main stage.
I'm more neutral on it because I think they're both good, but when will Smash 4 "earn it"?

When it has more entrants than Melee? When it has more viewers than Melee? When every Melee player admits Smash 4 is "better"?

I just think "Smash 4 needs to earn it" is such an arbitrary goal post that is judged by Melee-oriented players and always moved from what I've seen. "Oh all these entrants? It's just cause it's new, it'll die by next year." "All these entrants? It's just because the game's easier."

I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just saying we need better arguments than "Melee was here first" "Smash 4 needs to earn it's spot." if we're going to actually progress the discussion further.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Leave it to the Smash community to make the perfect sign of co-existance into a "MY GAME IS BETTER!" debate.

You all are embarrassing.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Leave it to the Smash community to make the perfect sign of co-existance into a "MY GAME IS BETTER!" debate.

You all are embarrassing.
We tried coexisting during Brawl. Melee players weren't interested. We tried coexisting in the beginning of Smash 4. Melee players weren't interested. If you do competitive Smash and you don't play Melee, or even like another Smash game that's not 64 or PM, you are a second-class citizen. Even the mods are biased - Melee players can deliberately antagonize Brawl and Sm4sh players and get off scott-free, while a mild jab at Melee players will be met with some action from the mods.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
We tried coexisting during Brawl. Melee players weren't interested. We tried coexisting in the beginning of Smash 4. Melee players weren't interested. If you do competitive Smash and you don't play Melee, or even like another Smash game that's not 64 or PM, you are a second-class citizen. Even the mods are biased - Melee players can deliberately antagonize Brawl and Sm4sh players and get off scott-free, while a mild jab at Melee players will be met with some action from the mods.
64 players get shafted in a different way -- every melee player says they love it, but watch how it gets treated at nationals and wonder where all that love is going

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071

after every other smash community helped melee get into evo, melee players will never think any other game is "earning it" enough. funny how people who already got theirs get to take everyone's help and still turn them away at the door.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Whether people will admit it or not, Sm4sh is a solid competitive game, that is why it is doing so good and both it and Melee will stay doing great together....
At least I hope they both do.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Is there an error in the article or Mr. Wizards tweet? Those numbers don't add up

Edit: Nvm, saw the other tweet

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I don't personally put up with it and rightfully point out why what they do is wrong.

If you think it is worse, just report it.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Saw Smash 4 having higher numbers than Melee.

It's newer, and imo ofc, way more interesting than a game that's been played for so many years.

I usually like to troll the melee community as they are just elitist, garbage people usually, but the games are very different and it's cool to see such high numbers for both.

yay smash

Sgt-Sol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sol-Bird 64
3DS FC
2681-1465-2550
Warning Received
Melee is dying YASSSSS KappaPride , SMASH 4 TAKING OVER!!!!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Melee technically has more, while Smash 4 has more overall.

Good stuff people. This is looking to be the hypest Smash Tournament in years.

CelloLuCC

Smash Apprentice
I'm more neutral on it because I think they're both good, but when will Smash 4 "earn it"?

When it has more entrants than Melee? When it has more viewers than Melee? When every Melee player admits Smash 4 is "better"?

I just think "Smash 4 needs to earn it" is such an arbitrary goal post that is judged by Melee-oriented players and always moved from what I've seen. "Oh all these entrants? It's just cause it's new, it'll die by next year." "All these entrants? It's just because the game's easier."

I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just saying we need better arguments than "Melee was here first" "Smash 4 needs to earn it's spot." if we're going to actually progress the discussion further.
honestly it is subjective. But, I think it should be understood, I guess. I think Sm4sh is cool and I think they did earn it, personally. The reason I said that is because too many people think "it's our turn because you got yours"

As for iceweasel, dude you are way behind. Melee earned our spot, we were on the mlg circuit before brawl existed. Dude idk where you though you helped us in that sense LMAO. And btw, why do you attack melee and claim we can't coexist with you? I haven't seen much sm4sh hate just yet (although I have seen brawl hate) and I see melee hate ALL THE TIME. (and btw calling sm4sh slower than melee or calling it less technical isn't hate, its kinda fact, dude)

EDIT: my b I mean pidgeo on the first part.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
WHENS PROJECT M? :L

No PM, no viewership from me.
they are never, ever, going to put a mod at EVO.

ever. sorry, it's just the truth.

On a side note, I am now legit worried about Marvel 3's future with those numbers. dammit Disney.

Last edited:

AaronSMASH

Smash Apprentice
Smash 4 more than melee? probably due to less complexity in the game, newer players etc. still exciting to see melee get these numbers even after all these years!
Who would have thought a game that isn't even a year old and without a fully developed metagame would be more approachable than a game whose entrants have been playing it for 15 years.

Better chalk it up to complexity!

CelloLuCC

Smash Apprentice
Who would have thought a game that isn't even a year old and without a fully developed metagame would be more approachable than a game whose entrants have been playing it for 15 years.

Better chalk it up to complexity!
You do realize melee has more usuable/applicable/useful techs that were discovered during the first year or so then sm4sh right?

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it

--------
People are pretending that anything that we say on here will have an effect on the success of game XYZ. What is the Melee community going to do, crash your Brawl tournament? Just play your game of choice. Nothing anyone says on here can prevent me from attending my tourney this thursday. And that's what matters most.

There's some talk about "earning it" so here's my two cents. You earn it by having fun with playing your game and showing other people that your game is fun so that they join in. If something fancy happens like Melee vs. Skullgirls all those years ago, show your support. That's pretty much it. If you're not going to show up at EVO and compete, then don't claim that your game deserves to be big at EVO. IMO Sm4sh really has "earned it". People are showing up to compete and that's really what matters. This is going to be a really exciting event and it's all thanks to everyone who enjoys playing Sm4sh competitively. It's just that there are some individuals who are making claims about what should and shouldn't be even though they're just bystanders. Those people haven't earned it.

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Sm4sh was definitely kickstarted by Melee, but at this point I think that neither game is truly riding off of another. I could be wrong, but I'd like to think that these games are strong by themselves. That being said, to say Melee is riding off of Sm4sh is absurd. Melee is riding off of its amazing, supportive, and growing community, just like Sm4sh is with its own.

Get your cheeky pitchfork out of here =P
For a more serious reply: I play all iterations of Smash (sans Brawl) so I really don't know what it's like to dislike or not be a part of a large part of the Smash community. You may have some reason for disliking Melee that I don't know about. Claiming that a certain part of the Smash community should die is really grimy though. You can't decide these things with arguments or opinion. The game is where the players are. And the Melee players are going to EVO.
When did I say it should die? I just said I wish it wasn't at EVO. Give other games a chance and give current smash the spotlight. I just don't like the idea of two games in the same franchise being here. I'd complain if they had MK9 and MKX both playable here as well. Or Super Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter 5.

AuraBreak

Smash Apprentice
This is incredible. I don't enjoy watching smash 4 but I have to respect that sign up count, damn.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
I just don't like the idea of two games in the same franchise being here. I'd complain if they had MK9 and MKX both playable here as well. Or Super Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter 5.
I wasn't sure how to approach this because of how wrong you are, but I'll leave it at this and let you figure the rest out: Smashbros games don't get replaced by newer iterations. Sm4sh simply isn't a suitable replacement for Melee. In the year 20XX when Smash5 is at EVO, I'll stand by Sm4sh and say the same thing about it then that I'm saying now about Melee.

poisn

Smash Rookie
i think the people saying that either melee or smash 4 haven't earned being at evo haven't realized that it's okay if the games are different from each other, they are games that require different skill sets each, if smash 4 was as easy as people say then why does ZeRo have no one even close to him at the moment? i think everybody by now who isn't completely ignorant knows that melee is NOT an easy game, so why can't we just be happy for each other as opposed to people making toxic statements (this goes for both communities, don't bull**** me)... lets just be happy that combined, melee and sm4sh almost hit 4k

Top Bottom