• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo Entrant Numbers Finalized: Smash 4: 1926 - Melee: 1869

COB

Smash Apprentice
The new factor helps, but that's detracting from what the overall situations are.

We really should just be happy both games got the numbers and will be on the main stage, but instead everyone wants to take pot shots at each other.

That is disheartening.
I wasn't taking any shots man :) I was just expanding on someone else's commment aha

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
First thought upon seeing the title: "Oh god, don't let the comments be a Sm4sh/Melee warzone..."

Of course, it's a warzone. Why the hell are we so adamant about splitting hairs over games? We should be friendly with all players of all games, not bashing them because they aren't lemmings who mindlessly say "MELEE TEH BEST" or "SM4SH TEH BEST".

ninrok

Smash Cadet
NNID
rokninja
He's implying that the skill cap for the game is so low that it just takes fundamentals to compete at a high level.

See, here's where that tired, played out argument falls apart. ZeRo is untouchable. He's on a separate plane of existence from even the next best player in the world in regards to skill level in this game. No, not because he uses 'OP' characters. It isn't a coincidence that both of his mains are widely considered the best characters in the game and even his secondary is constantly whined about (falcon). He didn't just go out and choose the best characters. Do you see any other sheiks or Diddys dominating tournament after tournament like that?

If smash 4s skill cap is so low, then we would have parity at the highest levels of play because a number of players would have mastered the game and would be essentially interchangeable.

A perfect example are the '5 gods' of melee. I think most of us can agree that mew2king/hungrybox/armada and so on and so forth have demonstrated a mastery of the game. And being that they have reached that ceiling, they are almost interchangeable. If they played through a bracket among themselves over and over, you really couldn't make a safe bet on who would win any given playoff. And there are still others contending to break into the '5'.

That isn't to say they CAN'T get better, but after 15 years that ceiling is pretty solid.

I personally think that the game is to young for anyone to have even come close to mastering. Not ZeRo, not anyone. And I think the result of a young metagame is the defensive footsies neutral game heavy matches you see right now.

The better people get the quicker and more aggressive the matches will become.
...huh.

I read it as "the skill *floor* in Smash 4 is low enough that you can learn the basics and not get pummeled by the time the announcer says GO."

Which, frankly is a good thing (the game is more approachable), and something most fighting games try to achieve, as it means there's a higher chance of successfully growing it's audience.

That does NOT mean that the *ceiling* is low, and I don't think anyone (of any level of intelligence) would imply that - especially if they've been paying attention to tourney results, as it's largely experienced Brawl players that have maintained or even improved their bracket dominance.

So yeah, someone can learn the basics of their character and have fun at the entry level with basic fundamentals...

...and as soon as they meet someone in bracket with even a decent amount of experience and fundamentals, they'll probably get REKT.

In any case, can we just - for once - be happy that both games did so well?

Personally I'm looking forward to being there and hopefully maybe NOT going 0-2 lol.

Top Bottom