• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2kXV Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
New thread? New thread. Touche, Shaya.

aMSa's Greninja is always a beautiful sight. It brings a tear to my eye.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
so what are your impressions about customs in a huge tournament so far?
IMO, they are okay as long as the custom project gets updated with the optimal sets and discussing possible jank or bannable moves.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Was the Game & Watch notable or...?

Either way he may have gone Greninja just because of the MU. I don't think Pikachu loses but it can't be a fun matchup for the rodent.
I think aMSa might have given up on going Pikachu entirely, considering he went Greninja vs Diddy as well even though he lost game 1

I guess aMSa just couldn't stay away from the frog for too long.

Not that I'm complaining =V

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Apologyman made a huge mistake by switching to piercing aura sphere BEFORE Denti picked his character. Might cost him the set.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Despite just seeing Denti's Yoshi get 2 stocked by Apologyman's Lucario, I've gotta say that I like the Yoshi representation in this tournament. Sky did well, didn't see Omni but I heard that his was good, Denti and some other Yoshi on stream was solid.

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
Damn... I was worried that Japan might lose to custom inexperience, like how we almost seen Amsa lose to Rocketbarrel Attack.

Hopefully he doesn't end up like Nietono and is able to get through losers.

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
IMO, they are okay as long as the custom project gets updated with the optimal sets and discussing possible jank or bannable moves.
I saw DK looking like he's a counterpick to Sheik. So yeah, I'm pretty warm to customs.
But yeah, the project needs updating. A *lot* of good loadouts are missing, for multiple characters. (But I think AA did a pretty good job considering the time constraints.)

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I just futilely hope these individual matches of unprepared people losing won't make people turn against customs.....

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
Considering Japan has almost zero experience with customs. It's not surprising to see Japanese lose to customs.

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
Customs haven't done anything stupid or jank (at least on stream), but some people will still complain how x player lost to y player because of them.

The hate will always be there.

Appledees

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Customs haven't done anything stupid or jank (at least on stream), but some people will still complain how x player lost to y player because of them.

The hate will always be there.
Helicopter Kick alone beat a Toon Link that was outplaying a Mii Brawler, but it's the only thing I can point to.

And despite how heart-breaking it was, it's just an anecdote.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
What character does Captain Awesum use? I'm feeling that he uses Falcon.

Edit: He uses Villager. I can see why.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Theory: Sheik, whose sole weakness is taking longer to kill, suffers from the customs environment, aka Jank City, USA.

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
in case we see Wario v Sheik at EVO, what are thoughts on that matchup? Is it even, in wario's favor, in sheik's favor? Who wins this? Wario's weight makes him harder to kill but his fall speed and mobility make him harder to juggle, which exploits two of sheik's big problems - kill power and the fact that she can't reliably juggle Wario

Chomp being arguably the best command grab in the game makes it harder to start/connect a fair wall on Wario since it'll generally clank out/grab through most weaker moves, so all the Wario player needs to do is read when the fair wall comes out and react accordingly.

Not to mention EVO allows customs so we can expect some absurd rose scented waft edgeguarding, potentially even against sheik.

just my two cents, anyone else have any input here?

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Nietono got double eliminated by Tearbear, default Falcon looking very suspect!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Japan has just as much access to customs as we do. Technically more since they got Smash 3ds before we did :^)
If they really wanted to practice customs for Evo, they had months to do so.
Anywho, Captain Awesum is probably the main reason my locals want to switch to customs off \(o_o)/ I'd like to see those matches if they're available sometime.
I also wish the pools were updated :/ http://evo2015.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/ssb4_d48.html I'm kind of confused how pools work, a 16 man pool, followed by another, followed by another, followed by top 4? How far are we into this right now, since I'm seeing people "made it out of pools?"

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Sup guys I just wanna talk about Mii Brawler, specifically Vinnie vs Nick Riddle.

DON'T DI HELICOPTER KICK UPWARDS. Vinnie is stuck on Brawl DI I guess, he's died off the top to helicopter kick. Always DI ("vector") the last hit inwards, towards the stage.

also obligatory: mii brawler is like mid tier, limited character

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
Awesum's the rather ledge happy villager right?

Edit: MVD VS Abadango is looking like a mine field.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I've been at work all day, and now that I'm home I'm playing Splatoon (Splatfest hype!) so I've been missing out on all the stream stuff. With anything resembling luck we'll have videos on Youtube soon? Maybe? Or Twitch VODs, even though my current internet dislikes those with a passion and stops them every 15 seconds or so.

What I'm getting at is that I really haven't been able to see for myself how customs are faring, although there's been a distinct lack of salt in this thread so I'm cautiously optimistic. Haven't looked at Reddit yet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I recall Abadango not liking the melon despite considered being a great tool by other Pac Man players. I think that first stock might be why...

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
That jelly stun paralyzer thing on the ledge was scary tho.

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
I've been at work all day, and now that I'm home I'm playing Splatoon (Splatfest hype!) so I've been missing out on all the stream stuff. With anything resembling luck we'll have videos on Youtube soon? Maybe? Or Twitch VODs, even though my current internet dislikes those with a passion and stops them every 15 seconds or so.

What I'm getting at is that I really haven't been able to see for myself how customs are faring, although there's been a distinct lack of salt in this thread so I'm cautiously optimistic. Haven't looked at Reddit yet.
Reddit's not very salty either. SmashCapps did a small article on 50 player sample on the subject with 49% opposing customs but otherwise its been pretty positive all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom