• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2013 Stream Cance--IS BACK

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Yeah, there's no question that we're barely a blip on the radar when you consider how many copies of Smash games get sold, and how much bigger Nintendo's actual target audience for the game is. Ignoring us isn't their ideal course of action, but they're not losing a whole lot in their eyes. We've gotta show them we're a worthwhile fanbase - I drew on how this game connected me to friends from all around the world who I never would have made contact with otherwise (though I left out the part about how it's also led to me having copious amounts of sex with R e d X) and compared that to how Nintendo's seemingly taking their company and products in the direction of using games to connect people. We're all sad because we want to support our friends that we've made over a Nintendo game. The game touched our lives by bringing us together, and touched the lives of countless others with our donations to breast cancer research. Probably sounds totally gay but who cares

Latias

Smash Journeyman
You guys are hilarious. Nintendo doesn't care that 5000 people won't buy smash bros 4 - over 10 million people bought Brawl, what's 5,000 to them?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This sucks. To be honest broadcasting Smash at EVO is actually a good thing for Nintendo. Smash features characters from a plethora of Nintendo franchises, so in a way featuring Smash at EVO gives those series exposure and acts as free promotion for Nintendo.

I'm doubtful but I really hope Nintendo reconsiders.

Look, I love to be that guy, but it really, really isn't.

Brawl sold 10.79 million copies worldwide.

If every single competitive smasher decided to not buy the game they wouldn't even go below the 10 million mark.

If every single competitive smasher decided to buy Brawl again they wouldn't get to 11 million. Maybe if you counted every competitive smasher ever, but current numbers no.

This thread is blowing up.

Users: 128
Guests: 442

Big whoop. 570 people is a drop in the bucket.

You know what isn't a drop in the bucket?

Commentary like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdTClFt98PI&feature=youtu.be&t=5m8s
Articles like this: http://boingboing.net/2012/02/29/meet-the-sexist-racist-pigs-o.html

That turn people off of games.

Those commentators complaining about the Brawl match because it was on stages like mushroom Kingdom I and custom stages (legally due to the gentleman's clause) is a huge, huge stain on the competitive community. It makes people not want to be involved because the commentators were jerkoffs that were too occupied with trying to be cool than actually going along for the ride and generating hype (which is their job).

Nintendo doesn't want strife within its games community. It wants live and let live.

The comments that say things like "lol whatever Brawl" and "that's what you get for commentating Brawl"?

Nintendo doesn't want that. It doesn't want people badmouthing Brawl. It's a more popular game by an iteration of several million (multiple times the entire Melee community) and they don't want people on a soapbox going after any smash game, let alone the most recent one. Especially not when it's near it's successor, Smash 4.

That article? Stemmed from a tournament where a bunch of 2D fighter jerks decided to be idiots in public and had it plastered all over the internet. The absolute worst side of their community has been broadcasted and a stigma has been placed on them because of this. These are games focused on adults and are made profitable by forcing grown men to buy the same game at $50 three times and having DLC dress up options. Street Fighter IV! Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition! Street Fighter IV Ultimate Edition! Street Fighter IV Ultimate Turbo Edition! Whatever.

Can you imagine the potential backlash if that happened to a children's game? If mom and dad's first impressions were a website sent to them that shows a video of Melee kids screaming "get *****" and "****ing owned"? They would have a negative association with the game and the very, very carefully constructed brand would be tarnished.

On top of all of this? People are making money by streaming their IP and they've taken a stand against that.

In no way, shape or form is this "good advertisement" for smash 4. Have you even TALKED to a melee player? They're complete and total assholes when it comes to talking about smash, totally devoid of joy because it's become popular. Most of them saw the Smash 4 trailer, saw it wasn't like Melee, and have discounted it until further evidence shows its worth.

It's the wrong demographic, the wrong people, the wrong message, the wrong medium, and it's totally uncontrollable by Nintendo.

You want to make a difference? Make them think that the negative press for canceling the streaming is worse than the negative press for having Melee streamed and the "lost revenue" from someone streaming their game.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
if you think nintendo's in even a quarter of a good position with the wii u as they were with the wii, you're as thick as your lazy smugness implies

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
You guys are hilarious. Nintendo doesn't care that 5000 people won't buy smash bros 4 - over 10 million people bought Brawl, what's 5,000 to them?
This man gets it. It's an unfortunate reality, but I'm not boycotting Nintendo when it's not going to make a difference. Those 10 million purchasers probably aren't on our side either.

(just kidding, I'm not boycotting because I know I can't say no to Animal Crossing 5 whenever it comes out)

Latias

Smash Journeyman
if you think nintendo's in even a quarter of a good position with the wii u as they were with the wii, you're as thick as your lazy smugness implies
Not sure who you're responding to, but smash will also be on the 3ds.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
Here's the thing, no matter what happens, there are always other options, the main one being YouTube uploads. I'm not a huge member of the Smash community but I still occasionally tune in on streams but I mainly watch on YouTube and as I understand it, the Smash community used to rely on YT uploads after Nintendo screwed us over when we were on the MLG circuit. Just don't lose hope guys :-) #FreeMelee

World

Smash Cadet
I don't understand why Nintendo does not want any further exposure for an 11-year old game.

Do they think that EVO, one of the major fighting game tournaments, will have a negative impact on the brand?

I also don't agree with how late they have chosen to act.

Skullgirls was 2nd place at the charity drive and arguably deserved Melee's stream spots much more due to the community trying to grow. Especially after the treatment Injustice was given.

This is just getting me more skeptical of how Smash 4 will turn out in the competitive scene.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I love how people said that they "Lost all respect for nintendo" And "are never buying a product from them again"....Good luck upholding the latter of the two. Nintendo technically has all rights to do what they did, regardless of the donations to breast cancer. It is sad, but meh, I didn't donate. As far as the stream goes, you'll get over it. :p

NOW ANNOUNCING THE NEW MOST HATED SMASHBOARDS MEMBER: NESSOKMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pickle962

Smash Lord
I don't understand why Nintendo does not want any further exposure for an 11-year old game.

Do they think that EVO, one of the major fighting game tournaments, will have a negative impact on the brand?

I also don't agree with how late they have chosen to act.

Skullgirls was 2nd place at the charity drive and arguably deserved Melee's stream spots much more due to the community trying to grow. Especially after the treatment Injustice was given.

This is just getting me more skeptical of how Smash 4 will turn out in the competitive scene.

Considering that the girl from Wii Fit is gonna be a playable fighter, I've lost all hope for SSB4...

Britex

Smash Apprentice
Flood their email, Facebook, Twitter, whatever it takes to make them change their minds if possible. This is one of the best thing to happen to Melee in a long time, are we going to let Nintendo ruin a big part of that?

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
The Wii has about 100 million units sold, and brawl sold about 10 million. Wii u + 3ds totals about 35 million units sold, 31 million coming from the 3ds. If you assume roughly 10% of nintendo's consumers will buy the next Smash 4, at most, the game will sell barely more than a third of what Brawl sold.

500 people may be a drop in a bucket, but for Nintendo, that bucket just got 66% smaller.

_J!

Smash Cadet
I might be able to pull some pretty big swag on twitter (family friends with hundreds of thousands of followers retweeting me)...I want to make sure my 140 character message reflects the opinion of all of us, not just myself as it may get noticed. That's not a lot to type, but I figured I'd ask any how. Focus on getting it streamed, focus on the insult of not streaming, take your pick. Also, is there an appropriate # I haven't seen?

PM me, please.

SmashCentralOfficial

Voice of SmashCentralOfficial
While it does seem a little childish and foolish to "boycot" Nintendo or the new Smash game, I have written an email that anyone can copy and send again if they wish. It does say that I will not be buying a Wii U, 3DS, or the new Smash, but however, I'm sure 99% of us are still going to. Regardless, I still think if thousands of us email, tweet, and direct our comments towards Nintendo, that they will eventually give us some sort of response (positive or negative), most likely after EVO.

"I am extremely, extremely upset that EVO is no longer allowed to stream Super Smash Bros. Melee. Thousands of SSBM fans and players WORLD-WIDE have raised nearly $100,000 to support Breast Cancer research, and to prove their desire to watch their favourite game streamed online at the world's largest and most highly anticipated gaming tournament. While the Twitch.tv users who would be broadcasting the streams DO make a small amount of profit off of their subscribers, this profit is not anywhere near equivalent to that which Nintendo will probably gain from the sales of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS. Myself, and many other Super Smash Bros. fans have decided we will not be purchasing a Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, or the new Super Smash Bros. iteration. While my actions and opinions have no grand significance, I hope Nintendo will see the damage they have done to their own fans, once again."

Latias

Smash Journeyman
The Wii has about 100 million units sold, and brawl sold about 10 million. Wii u + 3ds totals about 35 million units sold, 31 million coming from the 3ds. If you assume roughly 10% of nintendo's consumers will buy the next Smash 4, at most, the game will sell barely more than a third of what Brawl sold.

500 people may be a drop in a bucket, but for Nintendo, that bucket just got 66% smaller.
You're assuming that it won't sell anymore, 3ds is selling around 200,000 a week right now while the wii u is well.. Selling 20,000 a week?

smashmachine

Smash Lord
you guys deflecting this like those telling off the no-DRM campaign is hilarious
the Wii U is currently selling like ****, if they lose a chunk of their remaining fanbase who do they ****ing have left
don't give me this **** about "casuals", they all left for iOS already

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
overswarm bringin the pain over here

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
You're assuming that it won't sell anymore, 3ds is selling around 200,000 a week right now while the wii u is well.. Selling 20,000 a week?
I am assuming it wont sell anymore. But the Wii U is most definitely not going to double what it is now, and if the 3ds does, congratulations, the game still sells worse than Brawl.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
I am assuming it wont sell anymore. But the Wii U is most definitely not going to double what it is now, and if the 3ds does, congratulations, the game still sells worse than Brawl.
Now you're assuming that all the soccer moms who got wiis and never bought brawl are going to buy the 3ds/wii u, instead of people who have bought smash games in the past.
We won't know how it will sell.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
I'm surprised I still have an account here!

I'm just coming here to offer my sympathies, and also to tell you guys that you're not alone in the disappointing news. Twitter, SRK, and even Miiverse are expressing their displeasure over the stream cancellation. I'm from SRK myself, and I know what the community did to get Melee to Evo. Just know that the Smash community aren't the only ones chanting #FreeMelee. News sites like IGN and Polygon are reporting the issue too. We're putting on the pressure as much as we can, and making Nintendo aware that they aren't in a position to burn bridges. We have your back!

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Look the WiiU will sell stuff when LoZ games come out especially the Wind Waker remake for the nostalgia. I'd have been getting it for that and smash. Now I won't be though barring Nintendo withdrawing their current threat.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Look, I love to be that guy, but it really, really isn't.

Brawl sold 10.79 million copies worldwide.

If every single competitive smasher decided to not buy the game they wouldn't even go below the 10 million mark.

If every single competitive smasher decided to buy Brawl again they wouldn't get to 11 million. Maybe if you counted every competitive smasher ever, but current numbers no.

This thread is blowing up.

Users: 128
Guests: 442

Big whoop. 570 people is a drop in the bucket.

You know what isn't a drop in the bucket?

Commentary like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdTClFt98PI&feature=youtu.be&t=5m8s
Articles like this: http://boingboing.net/2012/02/29/meet-the-sexist-racist-pigs-o.html

That turn people off of games.

Those commentators complaining about the Brawl match because it was on stages like mushroom Kingdom I and custom stages (legally due to the gentleman's clause) is a huge, huge stain on the competitive community. It makes people not want to be involved because the commentators were jerkoffs that were too occupied with trying to be cool than actually going along for the ride and generating hype (which is their job).

Nintendo doesn't want strife within its games community. It wants live and let live.

The comments that say things like "lol whatever Brawl" and "that's what you get for commentating Brawl"?

Nintendo doesn't want that. It doesn't want people badmouthing Brawl. It's a more popular game by an iteration of several million (multiple times the entire Melee community) and they don't want people on a soapbox going after any smash game, let alone the most recent one. Especially not when it's near it's successor, Smash 4.

That article? Stemmed from a tournament where a bunch of 2D fighter jerks decided to be idiots in public and had it plastered all over the internet. The absolute worst side of their community has been broadcasted and a stigma has been placed on them because of this. These are games focused on adults and are made profitable by forcing grown men to buy the same game at $50 three times and having DLC dress up options. Street Fighter IV! Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition! Street Fighter IV Ultimate Edition! Street Fighter IV Ultimate Turbo Edition! Whatever.

Can you imagine the potential backlash if that happened to a children's game? If mom and dad's first impressions were a website sent to them that shows a video of Melee kids screaming "get *****" and "****ing owned"? They would have a negative association with the game and the very, very carefully constructed brand would be tarnished.

On top of all of this? People are making money by streaming their IP and they've taken a stand against that.

In no way, shape or form is this "good advertisement" for smash 4. Have you even TALKED to a melee player? They're complete and total *******s when it comes to talking about smash, totally devoid of joy because it's become popular. Most of them saw the Smash 4 trailer, saw it wasn't like Melee, and have discounted it until further evidence shows its worth.

It's the wrong demographic, the wrong people, the wrong message, the wrong medium, and it's totally uncontrollable by Nintendo.

You want to make a difference? Make them think that the negative press for canceling the streaming is worse than the negative press for having Melee streamed and the "lost revenue" from someone streaming their game.

Why you always so logical OS? ily bb.

You going to apex?

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Yeah, that giant stick stuck up his *** must hurt. It's the only reasonable explanation for his incredible likeability.
what exactly is he wrong about? lol

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
btw i know i'm ****ting all over the boycotters in here but I'm also emailing/calling/etc nintendo anyway because melee deserves what they paid for

i just also know overswarm is right

Super

Smash Apprentice
Everyone is also flooding nintendo's youtube, and pretty much everything nintendo at the moment. It's good to see at least people care to mobilize.

Top Bottom