• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evidence behind the new testament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
@nicholas

You're claiming that, even though there is no real evidence (bible doesn't count), there is a god

I provide quotes, all you guys say is "That could have been forged"

YOU said:
So, time after time the media has jumped on these "transitional forms", when in reality they're nothing but hoaxes and huge mistakes. How do we know some of this present "evidence" isn't just the same exact thing?
Hypocrite

What if I'm giving you the truth?
You're implying that your saying's the truth.

wow.

If you refuse to entertain even the slightest thought that you might just be wrong, I have nothing left to say to you.
This.

You're the one refusing thoughts.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Despite BPC being incredibly stubborn, I decided I'd reply to his post anyway in case anyone who might entertain the idea of God is interested.

Either that, or...
-The Talmund was a fake
-The guy who wrote into it was a nut
-The guy who wrote into it was fooled...
The Talmud (Looked it, actually I'd been spelling it wrong XD) was not a single person's writing. It was a compilation of a bunch of different Jewish leaders' opinions. Anyway, why would any Christian copyist fake the bit about Jesus? If you were into forgery and was copying a text, would you insert a bit blasting evolution? Of course not. As for the people writing it being fooled/insane, you're basically saying that the entire Jewish leadership was fooled/insane. Given they were Jesus's harshest critics, I don't buy that.

Essentially, you're trying to use ancient texts to prove that something that the laws of science dictate impossible happened. OF COURSE WE'RE GOING TO BE SKEPTICAL! At this point, nothing will convince me of a "miracle" from any "god". Did you watch that video, "putting faith in its place"? The issue with any "miracle" is that almost no matter what you do, eventually technology will be far enough along to make it happen. Maybe if Jesus did raise the dead, then he was being manipulated by some hyperadvanced race with the ability to revive the dead within short spans of time? Hard to say. And this is, of course, assuming that he did do this.
There is nothing to say to this type of stubbornness. Although, I will note: If some hyperadvanced race DID manipulate Jesus to perform the miracles and raise the dead, what's to stop that same hyperadvanced race from forging all the fossils in favor of evolution? (And why haven't we had any sort of recorded and verifiable contact from them?) There's no evidence either way.

There's a good reason beyond the one above (old document going against science) why I hold very little trust in pro-christian texts from that era. That reason is the crusade, plus the inquisition. God only knows how much evidence could've been destroyed, how much could've been falsified, and how much of the truth could be surpressed. Say there was a text by a famous historian of that time defining the life of Jesus Christ as a perfectly normal minister's life; i.e. he never did any miracles and simply created a massive religion out of slight of hand, "magic" tricks, and sheer charisma. Would that text have survived religious purges in the dark ages? I highly doubt it.
Ever heard of the reformation? The people behind the crusades and the inquisition were the catholic church... whose own position stood OUTSIDE the Bible! Martin Luther's biblical position cracked it apart. I can't deny that some evidence might have been destroyed, but I doubt they managed to forge anything. By the time the crusades and inquisition came around, we were into the 1500's or so. Anything forged would be so far of a time gap that it wouldn't be credible. You guys are skeptical enough of evidence 50 years after Christ, how much more would everyone be of evidence 1500 years after Christ?

And if there was a text showing how Jesus Christ managed to fake everything, why haven't we today with much more advanced scientific knowledge managed to figure it out?

In bits and pieces; the rest of which are shoved off as "poetic". For some reason, which are which is decided after it's shown that certain events simply couldn't have happened (come on, how many people do you think believed that there really was a great flood before scientists proved that there wasn't? Some still do).
The. Whole. Thing. Is. True. Yes, there are some parts that are symbolic, but those are extremely obvious, and not that large of a part of the Bible. Show me something you think is false that's been shoved off as "symbolic".

Also, I believe in the flood. Please show some of this "evidence" against it. That's the third time it's been said that the flood never happened, and nobody's presented a scrap of evidence about it.

As said, Part of the bible being right != other part of the bible being right.
Depends on the argument used. With the correct arguments, it's quite logical to say A -> B.

I meant the first two points implied the third.

There is evidence; evidence that simply cannot be taken seriously for various reasons.
List them, because I'm calling your bluff. I've listed some evidence, tell me why it's faulty.

Well jeez, there's your problem. You're trying to prove something that, by sheer definition of its class is not only unprovable, but that you can't even define reasonably! Proving that god exists inherently denies him of the title "god".
Why would showing that God exists keep him from being God? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Yeah, the whole free will issue, no matter how often it is explained, still seems bogus to me. You have an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving god who would create humans who will sin, even though he knows they will sin, and would then condemn them to hell for all eternity. SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.
All right, there's a short answer and a long answer here.

Short answer:
There was no other way to create humans, and God decided the reward was worth the cost.

Long answer:
Suppose God made a race of humans with free will, but kept them from sinning. This means that the "free will" isn't really free. If there's no choice between good and evil, you're locked in to doing good. If there's no choice but to love God, can you really call that love? It would be like having a machine. Every time God stopped us from sinning, he'd be violating our free will. Even all-powerfulness has it's limits. God can't make a circle square, or a round triangle. So, God decided to give us free will, despite the cost. We've chosen to abuse it, and we must pay the penalty. God, being fully just, must punish us for what we've done.

To fully clarify sin and it's punishments, let me ask you a few questions.

Have you ever told a lie? Half-truth, Exaggeration? What do you call someone who lies? A liar.
Have you ever stolen something, regardless of how small? What do you call someone who steals? A thief.
Jesus said that if you've ever hated someone, you're guilty of murdering them in your heart. (You know when someone makes you really mad, you visualize beating them up or similar in your mind's eye?) Ever done that? That would make you a murderer.

So, given the above, how would you stack up on Judgement day? The sad fact is that God is fully justified in sending the entire world to Hell.

However, God loves us, so he sent his Son to live a perfect life and take our penalty on that cross. (To make this a little easier to understand: Think of the penalty like being hopelessly in debt: To get out of it, you need someone else who isn't in debt to pay it for you. That's what Jesus did.)

Here we have a ridiculous double standard. Whenever there's something written in the bible that sounds even remotely accurate, historically/scientifically, bible apologists JUMP on it as proof that the bible is accurate. Anything shown to be wrong in the bible, and "it was just poetic" or "it was mistranslated" or "you're interpreting it wrong".
You realize the stuff shown to be "wrong" in the Bible? They're minor side details that can be easily explained. There's the timing of the census, the conflicting genealogies, Judas's multiple deaths... everything I've seen attacked has been a side point. Even regardless of these things being explained, it would be like me attacking evolution saying "There's no transitional form between the basic bird and the red-tailed blackfinch" (Pick your own favorite uncommon animal and whatever it evolved from, it doesn't really matter.)

Oh, but I will. I'm going to make the claim that <insert element X that isn't conclusively shown> GOD, as described by the bible, is Symbolic for the judgment we humans place on ourselves. After all, an "all-knowing, all-loving" creator who would **** one of his creations to hell for all eternity seems fairly absurd to me. Similarly, the Devil is also symbolic. Now why is this wrong? How are you able to say what is to be taken literally in the bible, and we're not?
I covered all of this above. It's symbolic if it's obvious that the author meant it to be symbolic.

I'll say that a group of a few hundred, probably less, crazies convinced thousands of other people to the point where they'd go out and die for a lie in some stinking desert while those who made the call were sitting at home cozy away from any land mines, IEDs, or suicide bombers screaming "ALLAH AKBAR!".
I'll say that a group of whose size I'm not 100% sure about was able to convince a fairly large amount of a population to, if the moderates are correct, completely misinterpret their religion and turn a "religion of peace" into one that would fly two planes into massive skyscrapers, killing thousands of "infidels".
It's not that absurd, when you think about it. And back in those days? These are supposedly the enlightened times. Back then, it was every man for himself.
Do you know how the Islam religion started up? It's founder claimed to have divine inspiration, converted his family and close friends (not too hard), and then started ambushing people and telling them "Be a Muslim or die!". Pretty easy to spread a religion that way. And do you realize that the suicide-bomber Muslims have been raised from childhood, being taught that America is evil and such, whereas dying violently to spread Islam is the greatest good? When that sort of stuff is what they've been raised on, what do you expect?

The disciples used none of these techniques. They never threatened anyone with "Believe or die!"(if you want to claim otherwise, prove it with evidence), and they didn't have the luxury of brainwashing kids from the age of 3.

Again, you're trying to prove something that is completely unprovable and that goes against both any scientific testing and all common sense using texts that are easily manipulated from an era shortly before those who zealously believed in the gospel went in and trashed the place. Twice, IIRC. Furthermore, if you would draw the conclusion that either any nonspecific god, or worse, any specific god exists from this, then you are making a huge logical error.
An era "shortly before"? Try 1000 years before.

Ninja edit:

@Dark horse
BPC flat out said "Regardless of whatever you present, you're wrong". Have I said anything near that? Also, I'm basically asking BPC "What if I'm right and you're wrong?". I'm not implying I'm right with that in any way.

@evolution thing.
Point taken. I'm sorry.

NNID
Budget_Player
So basically, you're saying that regardless of any evidence shown, there can't be a God.
You don't get it, do you? Gods are, by definition, unprovable. You cannot conclusively, or even remotely convincingly, prove that there is any god, let alone any specific god. And when referencing theological material... Well, fine, what if jesus existed, did said miracles, and every word spoken by his disciples about it was true? What is there, even remotely, to say that he was the son of god? That the virgin Mary didn't just get knocked up by her husband at some point? That he wasn't simply using modern/futuristic technology to perform "miracles" that would seem astounding at that time/now?

And again, this is assuming that the historian you are referencing for proof of the miracles wasn't fooled by some magic trick, or a fake, or for whatever reason conspiriting with the christians, or, as many historians believe, not actually the true author of that exact statement, rather having written something without mention of miracles.

If you're that stubborn, I don't see the point in arguing with you. Whatever I say you'll just twist around and toss it back at me, as you and everyone else has been doing for the past 5 pages.
To be fair, look at what you're arguing for a sec and tell me how realistic this would seem to an outsider who has never heard of christianity.

If you're so certain that you're 100% correct, why don't you take a closer look at the evidence? I provide evidence, I provide examples, I provide quotes, all you guys say is "That could have been forged" and toss it aside.
We've tossed it aside for various reasons, most of them fairly good. I will personally admit that the disciples being able to convert so many to christianity (I'm assuming you backed this up with non-biblical literature and I've just neglected to double check) is a fairly solid point, but all in all, most of these sources are either widely considered poorly translated, or fake, or or or or or...

If I were to do that to evolution you'd all be jumping on me in a second, but as long as you do it nobody cares.
We can falsify our theories of evolution in the future. If you set us a challenge to falsify most of the theory, we could:
-Set up a lab experiment built to emulate the basic evolutionary situation over multiple generations of creatures
-Observe it independently in the wild

Notice a very large difference here! On one hand, you have a phenomenon which happened several millennia ago with fairly unconvincing evidence; on the other hand you have a natural phenomenon which is constantly happening and can be observed as such.

Well what if it wasn't forged? What if I'm giving you the truth?
Covered this above. Even then, so what?

If you refuse to entertain even the slightest thought that you might just be wrong, I have nothing left to say to you.
I'm simply calling your mistakes. I'll give you a tip though-the moment you start arguing for something that is completely unfalsifiable, you lose. And another-watch all of QualiaSoup's videos on youtube, and, if you want to, a few choice specimens of TheraminTrees.

EDIT: I'll deal with your new post (the one that beat me to the punch of this one) tomorrow...

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Your link about the disciples and their deaths doesnt have sources that have anything to do with the disciples...or their deaths.

Pretty much the only evidence that you've posted so far (was from tacitus) shows that Christians existed in ~110 AD, and nothing more.

Can you quote (the translated version) of where in the Talmund Jesus is talked about? I couldnt find it.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
BPC flat out said "Regardless of whatever you present, you're wrong". Have I said anything near that? Also, I'm basically asking BPC "What if I'm right and you're wrong?". I'm not implying I'm right with that in any way.
Yes, you have.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
We can falsify our theories of evolution in the future. If you set us a challenge to falsify most of the theory, we could:
-Set up a lab experiment built to emulate the basic evolutionary situation over multiple generations of creatures
Incidentally, we could falsify evolution by finding the more complex organisms evolve before the less complex organisms. An example would by finding insects at the time where only single-celled organisms should be. So, evolution is falsifiable.

Pragmatic

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure how this can even be debated as scientific fact.

Nicholas, you do realize the foundation of religion rests on faith, not evidence, correct?

Where exactly are you hoping this thread goes, other than to show off your idealistic religious faith?

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
You don't get it, do you? Gods are, by definition, unprovable. You cannot conclusively, or even remotely convincingly, prove that there is any god, let alone any specific god. And when referencing theological material... Well, fine, what if jesus existed, did said miracles, and every word spoken by his disciples about it was true? What is there, even remotely, to say that he was the son of god? That the virgin Mary didn't just get knocked up by her husband at some point? That he wasn't simply using modern/futuristic technology to perform "miracles" that would seem astounding at that time/now?
You realize the time-traveller with awesome tech will apply to any argument? What evidence do we have that some time traveller from the future didn't plant every single evolutionary fossil with super hi-tech? If you're willing to accept that as a logical argument, you can't believe anything, because there's always a chance you're being fooled by a time traveller with the knowhow to bypass all your safeguards.

And again, this is assuming that the historian you are referencing for proof of the miracles wasn't fooled by some magic trick, or a fake, or for whatever reason conspiriting with the christians, or, as many historians believe, not actually the true author of that exact statement, rather having written something without mention of miracles.

To be fair, look at what you're arguing for a sec and tell me how realistic this would seem to an outsider who has never heard of christianity.
You realize that at some point in their life EVERYONE is an outsider who's never heard of Christianity? The surface complexity of an argument has nothing to do with how logical it is. Evolution sounds pretty wacky the first time you hear it as well.

We've tossed it aside for various reasons, most of them fairly good. I will personally admit that the disciples being able to convert so many to christianity (I'm assuming you backed this up with non-biblical literature and I've just neglected to double check) is a fairly solid point, but all in all, most of these sources are either widely considered poorly translated, or fake, or or or or or...
*sigh* Fine. Let's take the quote from Tacitus then. Give me a specific source with a plausible argument that that exact quote is poorly translated/fake.

No you can't. How do you know time-travellers from the future won't teleport in and disrupt everything? (Note: Before someone points this out as "Christians being unreasonable", you've used the argument against me, so I'm throwing your words in your face.)

Notice a very large difference here! On one hand, you have a phenomenon which happened several millennia ago with fairly unconvincing evidence; on the other hand you have a natural phenomenon which is constantly happening and can be observed as such.
Who's the last human being to have recorded watching macro-evolution? Don't everyone answer at once now. Becoming faster (micro evolution) and growing arms/legs/lungs/eyes (macro evolution) are completely different things. And before someone springs the micro-evolution -> macro evolution theory on me: I can stack paper 3 inches high easily without any outside assistance. Does that mean I can repeat that process to build a stack to the moon? Of course not!

Covered this above. Even then, so what?
You don't think there might be a way for an all-powerful omniscient God to reveal himself to his creation?

I'm simply calling your mistakes. I'll give you a tip though-the moment you start arguing for something that is completely unfalsifiable, you lose. And another-watch all of QualiaSoup's videos on youtube, and, if you want to, a few choice specimens of TheraminTrees.
For the moment, evolution is completely unfalsifiable. There are plenty of ways you could falsify my argument: Show that the new testament as written is inaccurate, show that the new testament has been corrupted in the 2000 years between it's writing and now, or show that there is a merely human explanation for Jesus without relying on time travelers.

@Dark horse
Quotes or it didn't happen. I KNOW in the intelligent design thread I gave a list of things you could do to convince me I was wrong.

@Pragmatic
I'm trying to show that
a) The new testament as written was accurate.
b) The new testament has been handed down to us through the ages.
c) There is no merely human explanation for Jesus.

Obviously there's an element of faith in religion, but I'm just trying to lay out the evidence for why I believe what I do.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm not sure how this can even be debated as scientific fact.

Nicholas, you do realize the foundation of religion rests on faith, not evidence, correct?

Where exactly are you hoping this thread goes, other than to show off your idealistic religious faith?
Omfg not another one of these.

No, religion isn't based entirely on faith.

The only people who say that are fideists, and theologically uneducated atheists and theists.

I really hope you're a fideist, and not just another one of these atheists who hasn't studied anything on religion and just uses common misconceptions in debates (like all the other atheists here, when it comes to God/religion debates).

ballin4life

Smash Hero
The point of the time traveler argument is that that scenario is as likely as "God did it" because neither of them have evidence for them.

It is entirely possible that time travelers planted evolutionary evidence, and it is entirely possible that God did this as well, but there isn't any evidence for either (which is why they aren't accepted theories).

NNID
Budget_Player
You realize the time-traveller with awesome tech will apply to any argument? What evidence do we have that some time traveller from the future didn't plant every single evolutionary fossil with super hi-tech? If you're willing to accept that as a logical argument, you can't believe anything, because there's always a chance you're being fooled by a time traveller with the knowhow to bypass all your safeguards.
First of all, it's not a time-traveller-that's truly scientifically impossible. It's some form of advanced alien. Second of all, invoking the supernatural when the implausible is possible is just as ridiculous as invoking the implausible when the plausible is possible. Compare for a second. I'm proposing that, rather than an explanation which is supernatural (i.e. cannot be falsified, compare god), it's an explanation which is implausible (i.e. can be falsified but simply is very unlikely). Compare to evolution, where you're proposing that an explanation that is natural and plausible (various species evolved over billions of years, something that has been conclusively proven) is secondary to one which is implausible (aliens from the past planted all the fossils). I hope you realize how ridiculous this is. You could quantify anything with it, just like you could just say "goddidit" to anything you want. Doesn't make it right. The fact that high-power alien influence is not only equivalent to "god" in almost any aspect, but also, at least in principle, falsifiable, means almost automatically that it is a better argument than "god".

You realize that at some point in their life EVERYONE is an outsider who's never heard of Christianity? The surface complexity of an argument has nothing to do with how logical it is. Evolution sounds pretty wacky the first time you hear it as well.
At some point in everyone's life, everyone is a baby who relies completely on their parents as well. :glare: I mean a well-informed outside with scientific background who has never been taught about the christian gospel. There are going to be a lot of questions, and of course he's going to question your reasons for your belief. Evolution, by comparison, sounds wacky the first time you hear it, but it can be easily backed up by looking at bacteria, or the fossil record, or...

*sigh* Fine. Let's take the quote from Tacitus then. Give me a specific source with a plausible argument that that exact quote is poorly translated/fake.
Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite punishments on a class hated for their disgraceful acts, called Chrestians by the populace. Christ, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind. Mockery of every sort was added to their deaths. Covered with the skins of beasts, they were torn by dogs and perished, or were nailed to crosses, or were doomed to the flames and burnt, to serve as a nightly illumination, when daylight had expired.[3][4]

Tacitus misspelled Christian in the passage, but he reported that the error was a mistake of the crowd that he then corrected when he mentioned “Christ.” The fact that he calls Jesus, "Christ" doesn't imply any belief that Jesus is the Messiah. It probably just reflects how Christians were referring to Jesus at that time. His reference that Jesus was executed doesn't refer specifically to crucifixion, but the fact that some Christians were crucified indicates that Nero was aware of the tradition.
Not entirely sure what this is supposed to say other than that a guy named Christ started a religion. Nothing to do with him being a messiah at all.

No you can't. How do you know time-travellers from the future won't teleport in and disrupt everything? (Note: Before someone points this out as "Christians being unreasonable", you've used the argument against me, so I'm throwing your words in your face.)
...And I've explained why this is a very poor argument.

Who's the last human being to have recorded watching macro-evolution? Don't everyone answer at once now.
It's a fairly new concept, but I'm sure someone who, again, is more knowledgeable than me on the subject will name an example. Furthermore, you can record it with various lab experiments; a very easy one to do, one that has doubtlessly been done several times, is the macroevolution of a bacterial colony as it is exposed to various chemicals/radiations. Easy to view over the period of several weeks.

Becoming faster (micro evolution) and growing arms/legs/lungs/eyes (macro evolution) are completely different things. And before someone springs the micro-evolution -> macro evolution theory on me: I can stack paper 3 inches high easily without any outside assistance. Does that mean I can repeat that process to build a stack to the moon? Of course not!
I don't even get the analogy here. Again, I'm not the most intelligent regarding evolution theory, but I will state this-the size/effect of a transformation has nothing to do with macroevolution. Any wide-spread change in the genome is macroevolution.

You don't think there might be a way for an all-powerful omniscient God to reveal himself to his creation?
No. No way. As said, it's logically more reasonable to reach to the unlikely above the supernatural. There could be a god, but, because he is completely unfalsifiable, any other explanation is simply more practical.

For the moment, evolution is completely unfalsifiable. There are plenty of ways you could falsify my argument: Show that the new testament as written is inaccurate, show that the new testament has been corrupted in the 2000 years between it's writing and now, or show that there is a merely human explanation for Jesus without relying on time travelers.
Or, you know, not make the wild assumption that Jesus actually made miracles happen. People were stupid back then.

And yes. OUR evolutionary timeline, as it lies in the distant past, is "unfalsifiable". However, you can falsify it on a practical level; you just won't. There is a massive amount of evidence on the fossil record supporting the current theory of evolution. And furthermore, the theory of "this is what happened" is backed up by the fact that we can replicate the basic tenants of it in laboratory environments.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
First of all, it's not a time-traveller-that's truly scientifically impossible. It's some form of advanced alien. Second of all, invoking the supernatural when the implausible is possible is just as ridiculous as invoking the implausible when the plausible is possible. Compare for a second. I'm proposing that, rather than an explanation which is supernatural (i.e. cannot be falsified, compare god), it's an explanation which is implausible (i.e. can be falsified but simply is very unlikely). Compare to evolution, where you're proposing that an explanation that is natural and plausible (various species evolved over billions of years, something that has been conclusively proven) is secondary to one which is implausible (aliens from the past planted all the fossils). I hope you realize how ridiculous this is. You could quantify anything with it, just like you could just say "goddidit" to anything you want. Doesn't make it right. The fact that high-power alien influence is not only equivalent to "god" in almost any aspect, but also, at least in principle, falsifiable, means almost automatically that it is a better argument than "god".
*mind is totally blown*
That makes less sense than the time traveller crap. Here's why:

1) All right, suppose that you somehow got access to super-advanced ultratech. Using ultratech to perform miracles? Fair enough. Purposely allowing yourself to get viciously beaten and then dying an extremely painful death on the cross... wait, what?

2) Your aliens have no motive. "Hey, let's go to some random backwater planet and trick the inhabitants into thinking some ancient religion is true for no good reason!"

3) If aliens were giving super-tech to Jesus 2000 years ago, why on earth haven't we had some sort of verifiable contact from them since?

4) How would aliens make it such that Jesus satisfied all the old testament prophecies? In fact, how would they even KNOW the old testament prophecies? Are you prepared to assert that they've been spying on us for who-knows how long?

At some point in everyone's life, everyone is a baby who relies completely on their parents as well. :glare: I mean a well-informed outside with scientific background who has never been taught about the christian gospel. There are going to be a lot of questions, and of course he's going to question your reasons for your belief. Evolution, by comparison, sounds wacky the first time you hear it, but it can be easily backed up by looking at bacteria, or the fossil record, or...
I would imagine that I've answered those questions fairly well. Micro-evolution (change within a species), sure, I believe it. Macro-evolution, no. There are still objections to be raised, as proved by the Intelligent design thread! Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambrian_explosion Just check the opening paragraph. All of a sudden, we went from single-celled organisms, to all kinds of animals. (I'd rather not debate this in here though, as this is a topic for the ID thread)

Not entirely sure what this is supposed to say other than that a guy named Christ started a religion. Nothing to do with him being a messiah at all.
That was the point. I brought it in to show people that there's non-biblical evidence that Christ exists. (I've had people denying the 12 disciples at one point in here...)

...And I've explained why this is a very poor argument.
No you haven't. If you're willing to say that aliens DID indeed play a huge joke on the human race 2000 years ago, there's nothing to say that they might not being doing the exact same thing again. And besides, I've pointed out above why it's YOUR argument that's poor.

It's a fairly new concept, but I'm sure someone who, again, is more knowledgeable than me on the subject will name an example. Furthermore, you can record it with various lab experiments; a very easy one to do, one that has doubtlessly been done several times, is the macroevolution of a bacterial colony as it is exposed to various chemicals/radiations. Easy to view over the period of several weeks.
Please, give me more details. Did it grow an entirely new part to process something completely new and different from anything ever done before? And also, how can you justify treating it to chemicals and radiation? Was the primitive earth way back filled with these things?

I don't even get the analogy here. Again, I'm not the most intelligent regarding evolution theory, but I will state this-the size/effect of a transformation has nothing to do with macroevolution. Any wide-spread change in the genome is macroevolution.
People have been arguing against me that "You can iterate micro-evolution to get macro-evolution". I'm showing the stupidity of that argument with the analogy.

No. No way. As said, it's logically more reasonable to reach to the unlikely above the supernatural. There could be a god, but, because he is completely unfalsifiable, any other explanation is simply more practical.
Look, you might not be able to falsify the general idea of some "supreme being", but any one particular religion's God is completely falsifiable. Anyway, you're the first person I've ever met who will reach to random aliens instead of God... (simply noting it, not using it as an argument. inb4"appeal to majority" regardless.)

Or, you know, not make the wild assumption that Jesus actually made miracles happen. People were stupid back then.
I've given the evidence, you haven't refuted it.

And yes. OUR evolutionary timeline, as it lies in the distant past, is "unfalsifiable". However, you can falsify it on a practical level; you just won't. There is a massive amount of evidence on the fossil record supporting the current theory of evolution. And furthermore, the theory of "this is what happened" is backed up by the fact that we can replicate the basic tenants of it in laboratory environments.
I'm not a biologist, so I can't debate with you there, but there are plenty of Christian biologists and such who are nowhere near convinced by evolution.

@Ballin
The biblical prophecies are my evidence. I've mentioned this before. If you're going to actually suggest that time travelers (or aliens, whatever) over God when I've given evidence for God, then I'll suggest those time travelers/aliens over evolution with the same logic.

NNID
Budget_Player
*mind is totally blown*
That makes less sense than the time traveller crap. Here's why:

1) All right, suppose that you somehow got access to super-advanced ultratech. Using ultratech to perform miracles? Fair enough. Purposely allowing yourself to get viciously beaten and then dying an extremely painful death on the cross... wait, what?

2) Your aliens have no motive. "Hey, let's go to some random backwater planet and trick the inhabitants into thinking some ancient religion is true for no good reason!"

3) If aliens were giving super-tech to Jesus 2000 years ago, why on earth haven't we had some sort of verifiable contact from them since?

4) How would aliens make it such that Jesus satisfied all the old testament prophecies? In fact, how would they even KNOW the old testament prophecies? Are you prepared to assert that they've been spying on us for who-knows how long?
You know, you're right. I'm sorry. What I proposed was ridiculous. Certainly far more ridiculous than a man who brought a guy back to life, turned water into wine, fed 5000 people with 2 fish and 5 loaves of bread, walked on water, and came back to life after 3 days with the help of a completely non-falsifiable entity that, by any reasonable means, cannot be defined at all, let alone attributed to ANYTHING, let alone helping some random guy on earth. You really think you can argue how absurd something is when you're stumping in favor of contents of the bible?

I would imagine that I've answered those questions fairly well. Micro-evolution (change within a species), sure, I believe it. Macro-evolution, no. There are still objections to be raised, as proved by the Intelligent design thread! Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambrian_explosion Just check the opening paragraph. All of a sudden, we went from single-celled organisms, to all kinds of animals. (I'd rather not debate this in here though, as this is a topic for the ID thread)
Fair enough, especially because actual evolution science is not one of my strong points, and I'm likely to severely misrepresent it.

That was the point. I brought it in to show people that there's non-biblical evidence that Christ exists. (I've had people denying the 12 disciples at one point in here...)
There's evidence he existed, fair enough. Debatably veritable evidence, none of which clearly cites him as a miracle-worker or, for that matter, anything more than an extremely charismatic person. As said, you're going to need VERY convincing evidence that someone actually did something that went against the very laws of nature we have observed for the past few millennia.

No you haven't. If you're willing to say that aliens DID indeed play a huge joke on the human race 2000 years ago, there's nothing to say that they might not being doing the exact same thing again. And besides, I've pointed out above why it's YOUR argument that's poor.
Err... This is the important part of that post:
Compare for a second. I'm proposing that, rather than an explanation which is supernatural (i.e. cannot be falsified, compare god), it's an explanation which is implausible (i.e. can be falsified but simply is very unlikely). Compare to evolution, where you're proposing that an explanation that is natural and plausible (various species evolved over billions of years, something that has been conclusively proven) is secondary to one which is implausible (aliens from the past planted all the fossils).

Please, give me more details. Did it grow an entirely new part to process something completely new and different from anything ever done before?
Very probably.

And also, how can you justify treating it to chemicals and radiation? Was the primitive earth way back filled with these things?
I was thinking more simulate modern earth; i.e. treating them with antibiotics, ultraviolet radiation, etc... But by all means, any kind of radiation could very well force a species to evolve to adapt to it, or die out.

People have been arguing against me that "You can iterate micro-evolution to get macro-evolution". I'm showing the stupidity of that argument with the analogy.
It was a poor analogy.

Look, you might not be able to falsify the general idea of some "supreme being", but any one particular religion's God is completely falsifiable.
Oh REALLY. Define god? Because unless I'm very much mistaken, it's literally impossible to prove that the christian god does or does not exist.

Anyway, you're the first person I've ever met who will reach to random aliens instead of God... (simply noting it, not using it as an argument. inb4"appeal to majority" regardless.)
Perhaps. But it's never smart to reach to the supernatural until you've ruled out all other "natural" possibilities.

I've given the evidence, you haven't refuted it.
Let's see here... Testimonium Flavianum? Eat your heart out. TL;DR: The text is considered real, but the parts regarding the miracles are either not, or are gathered from second/third-hand sources. Tacitus? Never said anything about him performing miracles. The gospels? I believe we were deciding to ignore those as evidence.

I'm not a biologist, so I can't debate with you there, but there are plenty of Christian biologists and such who are nowhere near convinced by evolution.
>implying christian "science" has virtually any holding on reality

Pragmatic

Smash Journeyman
Omfg not another one of these.

No, religion isn't based entirely on faith.

The only people who say that are fideists, and theologically uneducated atheists and theists.

I really hope you're a fideist, and not just another one of these atheists who hasn't studied anything on religion and just uses common misconceptions in debates (like all the other atheists here, when it comes to God/religion debates).
You're implying religion has credible scientific proof that events happened as described in religious textaments?

I'm not an athiest, but thanks for asking.

A fideist? Perhaps. Otherwise, we'd have been able to disprove or prove whether claims are factual, which is very difficult.

You can't logically come to the conclusion religion isn't mainly driven by faith.

I'm not educated enough about the semantics of Christianity, so I can't necessarily spew pages of my own interpreted opinions. Maybe some other time?

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
You know, you're right. I'm sorry. What I proposed was ridiculous. Certainly far more ridiculous than a man who brought a guy back to life, turned water into wine, fed 5000 people with 2 fish and 5 loaves of bread, walked on water, and came back to life after 3 days with the help of a completely non-falsifiable entity that, by any reasonable means, cannot be defined at all, let alone attributed to ANYTHING, let alone helping some random guy on earth. You really think you can argue how absurd something is when you're stumping in favor of contents of the bible?
I'm beginning to think I'm just wasting my breath here. Yes, I do indeed think that.

Fair enough, especially because actual evolution science is not one of my strong points, and I'm likely to severely misrepresent it.
This is probably the first time we've agreed all thread. XD

There's evidence he existed, fair enough. Debatably veritable evidence, none of which clearly cites him as a miracle-worker or, for that matter, anything more than an extremely charismatic person. As said, you're going to need VERY convincing evidence that someone actually did something that went against the very laws of nature we have observed for the past few millennia.
The gospels ARE convincing evidence. Why should we consider them a fake? (And not just because "There are miracles in it", give some other reason.) My other main piece of evidence in that direction is the Talmud, in which the opposition (the Jewish leaders), claims that Jesus was a magician and demon possessed. (You see the point? If Jesus didn't do those miracles, the opposition would have said so.)

Err... This is the important part of that post:
You haven't overturned any of my reasons as to why the alien thing is awful.

Very probably.
I asked for details.

I was thinking more simulate modern earth; i.e. treating them with antibiotics, ultraviolet radiation, etc... But by all means, any kind of radiation could very well force a species to evolve to adapt to it, or die out.
*shrug* Yeah, but it's primitive earth where they supposedly evolved, right?

It was a poor analogy.
Why?

Oh REALLY. Define god? Because unless I'm very much mistaken, it's literally impossible to prove that the christian god does or does not exist.
general god: The supernatural being responsible for the creation of the universe.

Christian God: The God of the Bible, who sent his Son Jesus to die for us on the cross. If you could disprove Jesus, you'd disprove Christianity. Of course, you haven't.

Perhaps. But it's never smart to reach to the supernatural until you've ruled out all other "natural" possibilities.
True enough, but they've been ruled out.

Let's see here... Testimonium Flavianum? Eat your heart out. TL;DR: The text is considered real, but the parts regarding the miracles are either not, or are gathered from second/third-hand sources. Tacitus? Never said anything about him performing miracles. The gospels? I believe we were deciding to ignore those as evidence.
The gospels are fine as evidence for me, but since you want to ignore them I'll direct you to the Talmud. (How many times must I bring this up in this thread?)

>implying christian "science" has virtually any holding on reality
[/QUOTE]
You're merely revealing your ignorance.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
The reasons we should be skeptical of believing the gospels are that they describe improbable things and they are written by biased authors, who had an agenda of spreading their religion.

Also, on outside evidence of Jesus, why are there no eyewitness accounts written while Jesus was alive? Or at least shortly after his death? As I said before, no one felt compelled to write anything about him while he was doing all these crazy things and fulfilling prophecies? The only people who did write about him were his followers many years later? (Note also that the other sources referencing Jesus may be using the Bible as their reference)

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
You're implying religion has credible scientific proof that events happened as described in religious textaments?

Typical, assuming the only type of proof is scientific proof. Yet again someone here commits the fallacy of circularity.

How do you know that science proves truth? You can't use science to show that science proves truth, that's circular. It was a prior premise, from logic, that tells us that science proves truth. What that shows is that there are other ways of deducing truth other than science.

I'm not an athiest, but thanks for asking.

I never asked, nor assumed.

A fideist? Perhaps. Otherwise, we'd have been able to disprove or prove whether claims are factual, which is very difficult.

You can't logically come to the conclusion religion isn't mainly driven by faith.

So then why did the previous Pope write an encyclical titled "Faith and Reason"?

Why does theistic philosophy even exist then?

If you're a theist and think religion is entirely based upon faith, you're either a fideist, or haven't been educated in the philosoph yand theology of your religion.

I'm not educated enough about the semantics of Christianity, so I can't necessarily spew pages of my own interpreted opinions. Maybe some other time?
If you're not well educated in Christianity, don't come out with misinformed statements like "religion is just about faith". People here need to to study the topic before they start throwing out misinformed claims.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
^^^^ I so want to respond to this.
Then respond I see nothing stopping you just post your response in a thread in the Debate Hall.

@Nicholas Very interesting thread I am reading up on this thread as I literally just started reading this thread today, I do not necessarily completely agree with you on everything, but I am very impressed. Good luck :).

EDIT: Oh, quick correction here...

general god: The supernatural being responsible for the creation of the universe.
Um, not exactly but close.

You see in greek mythology the gods are not directly responsible for the creation of the universe, rather they are more like directors of a certain aspect in the universe. Now there is a god that created everything (Zeus' father I due believe sorry if that is incorrect I am a little rusty on my Greek mythology.) To the point: By your definition of god (s) you literal kill over half the cast of gods form god status in various other religions.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Typical, assuming the only type of proof is scientific proof. Yet again someone here commits the fallacy of circularity.

How do you know that science proves truth? You can't use science to show that science proves truth, that's circular. It was a prior premise, from logic, that tells us that science proves truth. What that shows is that there are other ways of deducing truth other than science.
Science doesn't prove truth, it falsifies theories.

Truth is the realm of mathematics, and (sometimes) philosophy.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
The reasons we should be skeptical of believing the gospels are that they describe improbable things and they are written by biased authors, who had an agenda of spreading their religion.
What kind of "agenda" involves nonviolently preaching something persecuted by the state, suffering all kinds of punishments, and eventually horrible deaths?

Also, on outside evidence of Jesus, why are there no eyewitness accounts written while Jesus was alive? Or at least shortly after his death? As I said before, no one felt compelled to write anything about him while he was doing all these crazy things and fulfilling prophecies? The only people who did write about him were his followers many years later? (Note also that the other sources referencing Jesus may be using the Bible as their reference)
Yeah sure, people might have written in their diaries about him, but why would those diaries have survived 2000 years? I highly doubt anyone would take the effort to copy them, and a single copy won't survive nearly that long. The same exact point can be made about Alexander the great. Why are there no eyewitness accounts written while Alexander was alive? Or at least shortly after his death? As I said before, no one felt compelled to write anything about him while he was doing all these crazy things and conquering nations? The only people who did write about him did so 400 years later?!?

@Dragoon Fighter
Thanks, and good point about the greek mythology. I'd forgotten about that.

NNID
Budget_Player
I'm beginning to think I'm just wasting my breath here. Yes, I do indeed think that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0&feature=related

No but really. Your explanation is, in fact, far less logical than mine. Mine could have happened in any situation; yours relies on the supernatural to even conceptualize it. Maybe "aliens work in mysterious ways"? :awesome: Seriously, you don't get to call mine ridiculous when yours depends entirely on the supernatural.

The gospels ARE convincing evidence. Why should we consider them a fake? (And not just because "There are miracles in it", give some other reason.)
There are miracles in it. Get @ me.

No really. We have a 2000-year-old text describing miracles. Any number of things could have happened here, from major revisions of the gospels by christians between the writings of the gospels and the end of the crusades, to a flat-out pyramid scheme by Jesus and his Disciples.

My other main piece of evidence in that direction is the Talmud, in which the opposition (the Jewish leaders), claims that Jesus was a magician and demon possessed. (You see the point? If Jesus didn't do those miracles, the opposition would have said so.)
Yeah, about that. I did a little googling around and I'm honestly getting nothing.

You haven't overturned any of my reasons as to why the alien thing is awful.
I'm not going to say that the argument "an alien put it there" is awful. It IS awful. But it's far better than an argument invoking the supernatural.

I asked for details.
Don't have 'em. As said, Evolution is not my strongest field. Google may be your friend, dunno.

*shrug* Yeah, but it's primitive earth where they supposedly evolved, right?
Misconception alert-they're still (and constantly) evolving. Case in point: penicillin used to work on almost all bacterial infections. Now it hardly ever works as an effective drug on its own. But in such a case, you could resort to a setup similar to ancient earth, where there was far heavier cosmic radiation, and far more chaos overall.

Because it makes no sense. You being able to stack lots of paper has nothing to do with macro- vs. Microevolution.

You can very well make an argument for this. The cosmological argument Dre has been touting is a reasonable argument for the existence of some god; i.e. a completely undefinable nothing. In fact, by very definition, you cannot attribute any qualities whatsoever to a god.

Christian God: The God of the Bible, who sent his Son Jesus to die for us on the cross. If you could disprove Jesus, you'd disprove Christianity. Of course, you haven't.
Actually, even if Jesus doesn't exist, the Christian God may be out there. At the same time, even if Jesus was real, and a miracle worker, it doesn't mean the Christian god exists/existed. This is something you cannot EVER make a convincing case for, no matter what. A god is either completely undefinable, or a faulty spring in logic.

True enough, but they've been ruled out.
Nope. Alien argument.

The gospels are fine as evidence for me, but since you want to ignore them I'll direct you to the Talmud. (How many times must I bring this up in this thread?)
As said, I looked that up and I'm kinda pulling blanks. I will, admittedly, have to look into the gospels more closely, figure out what's up with that. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I should trust 2000-year-old texts describing what you'd normally expect from a poorly-written fairy tale.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Don't have 'em. As said, Evolution is not my strongest field. Google may be your friend, dunno.
Not sure what Evolution has to do for an debate on the validness of which is historical events, and what is not, but to save people the trouble of googling...

Basic evolutionary theory 101. There you go no one needs to get into a "No you Google it" debate.

Edit: Ops, I should of read over more carefully the context of the debate my bad ignore this post.

Pragmatic

Smash Journeyman
Like you never do? I've been lurking even before I applied to become a Debater.

Science doesn't prove truth, it solidifies theories, and is therefore credible while articulating claims. You're nitpicking an awfully lot without saying anything of substance.

I never asked, nor assumed.
Terrific. Despite the fact you blatantly labelled me with the pretense of two separate categories?

So then why did the previous Pope write an encyclical titled "Faith and Reason"?
Because the possibility of bias clearly exists? Religion isn't formulated by logic and reason, but analyzing scriptures found within religious testaments, and then garnering possible theories and events of importance, providing they did happen, which are proven or disproven to be accurate representative claims of historical events.

Why does theistic philosophy even exist then?

If you're a theist and think religion is entirely based upon faith, you're either a fideist, or haven't been educated in the philosoph yand theology of your religion.
Did I say entirely based on faith?

No, If I recall, I said it was mainly driven by faith. Because many of the stories are simply incredulous and have no foundation of proof.

If you're not well educated in Christianity, don't come out with misinformed statements like "religion is just about faith". People here need to to study the topic before they start throwing out misinformed claims.
Why do you suffer from such a gross superiority complex?

Since you're so intelligent Dre, why don't you enlighten us?

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0&feature=related

No but really. Your explanation is, in fact, far less logical than mine. Mine could have happened in any situation; yours relies on the supernatural to even conceptualize it. Maybe "aliens work in mysterious ways"? :awesome: Seriously, you don't get to call mine ridiculous when yours depends entirely on the supernatural.
So, nothing can convince you of God? A potentially all powerful, all knowing being can't convince his own creation of his existence? Your aliens are "unfalsifiable", didn't you tell me that "when you argue for something unfalsifiable, you lose"?

There are miracles in it. Get @ me.

No really. We have a 2000-year-old text describing miracles. Any number of things could have happened here, from major revisions of the gospels by christians between the writings of the gospels and the end of the crusades, to a flat-out pyramid scheme by Jesus and his Disciples.
In an eyewitness account in court, isn't it "innocent until proven guilty"? Similarly, since we have 4 accounts that harmonize on the central points, shouldn't we regard them as truthful unless the evidence says otherwise?

Let's go through your mode of operation here...

Step 1): Through out the new testament, which is a collection of reliable accounts of Jesus and Christianity.
Step 2): Examine what's left semi-objectively.
Step 3): Conclude that the whole thing's a hoax.

Seriously, is it any wonder that when you exclude what's basically a compilation of all the good evidence for Jesus that what remains is unconvincing?!?

Yeah, about that. I did a little googling around and I'm honestly getting nothing.
*shrug* It's probably buried underneath mounds of other stuff. I got the info from "A Case for Christ", so my knowledge isn't firsthand there.

I'm not going to say that the argument "an alien put it there" is awful. It IS awful. But it's far better than an argument invoking the supernatural.
Yeah, because someone able to do all sort of amazing miracles and satisfies all the Biblical prophecies about the Son of God who claims to BE supernatural is obviously lying and a random alien. </sarcasm>

Hey, google's probably your friend about the Talmud as well...

Misconception alert-they're still (and constantly) evolving. Case in point: penicillin used to work on almost all bacterial infections. Now it hardly ever works as an effective drug on its own. But in such a case, you could resort to a setup similar to ancient earth, where there was far heavier cosmic radiation, and far more chaos overall.
Sorry, but that's not evolution. About 1% of bacteria back then had a defect that made them immune to penicillin. (I'm not too keen on the details, as I'm not a biologist) This gets passed down to any replicas. So, when you eliminate the other 99% of the bacteria via penicillin, is it any surprise that the immune ones are all that are left?

Because it makes no sense. You being able to stack lots of paper has nothing to do with macro- vs. Microevolution.
Actually, it makes perfect sense. Microevolution does not prove macroevolution in the exact same way that me stacking paper 3 inches high does not prove I can stack paper to the moon.

You can very well make an argument for this. The cosmological argument Dre has been touting is a reasonable argument for the existence of some god; i.e. a completely undefinable nothing. In fact, by very definition, you cannot attribute any qualities whatsoever to a god.
Show me that definition.

Actually, even if Jesus doesn't exist, the Christian God may be out there. At the same time, even if Jesus was real, and a miracle worker, it doesn't mean the Christian god exists/existed. This is something you cannot EVER make a convincing case for, no matter what. A god is either completely undefinable, or a faulty spring in logic.
The Bible says that God is righteous. Therefore, he tells the truth. So, if Jesus wasn't the messiah, then God is a liar, and is therefore no longer the Christian God.

Nope. Alien argument.
I gave 4 reasons why that argument was horrible. You didn't refute any of them. All you've given against my argument for God is "God is undefinable, QED." How is that logical?!?

As said, I looked that up and I'm kinda pulling blanks. I will, admittedly, have to look into the gospels more closely, figure out what's up with that. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I should trust 2000-year-old texts describing what you'd normally expect from a poorly-written fairy tale.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
What kind of "agenda" involves nonviolently preaching something persecuted by the state, suffering all kinds of punishments, and eventually horrible deaths?

Yeah sure, people might have written in their diaries about him, but why would those diaries have survived 2000 years? I highly doubt anyone would take the effort to copy them, and a single copy won't survive nearly that long. The same exact point can be made about Alexander the great. Why are there no eyewitness accounts written while Alexander was alive? Or at least shortly after his death? As I said before, no one felt compelled to write anything about him while he was doing all these crazy things and conquering nations? The only people who did write about him did so 400 years later?!?

@Dragoon Fighter
Thanks, and good point about the greek mythology. I'd forgotten about that.
Uh, preaching something persecuted by the state is an extremely common agenda in history. They wanted to spread their religion.

The fact remains that the sources telling us about Jesus are inherently unreliable. No one felt the need to write about Jesus besides his religious followers.

For Alexander the Great, we piece together his history from a few different sources. Note that scholars would ignore any specific parts about him performing miracles, etc, and would focus on the greater picture of his life, much like we are trying to do with Jesus. We also (according to a quick glance at wikipedia) have records of eyewitness accounts existing, but those texts have been lost (maybe in the fire at Alexandria or something).

UncleSam

Smash Master
So, nothing can convince you of God? A potentially all powerful, all knowing being can't convince his own creation of his existence? Your aliens are "unfalsifiable", didn't you tell me that "when you argue for something unfalsifiable, you lose"?
Isn't that the point? If he had the ability to do it, wouldn't he do it to anybody that doesn't believe?

In an eyewitness account in court, isn't it "innocent until proven guilty"? Similarly, since we have 4 accounts that harmonize on the central points, shouldn't we regard them as truthful unless the evidence says otherwise?
Shouldn't you look for evidence to support it other than the bible? If you have multiple sources it will strengthen this argument. Instead you use multiple sources within the same source to prove something.

Sorry, but that's not evolution. About 1% of bacteria back then had a defect that made them immune to penicillin. (I'm not too keen on the details, as I'm not a biologist) This gets passed down to any replicas. So, when you eliminate the other 99% of the bacteria via penicillin, is it any surprise that the immune ones are all that are left?
actually it is, the bacteria that don't survive obviously didn't have optimal genes to stay alive and the ones that do survive pass it down so that future generations become better prepared.

wiki on evolution said:
The main source of variation is mutation, which introduces genetic changes. These changes are heritable (can be passed on through reproduction), and may give rise to alternative traits in organisms. Another source of variation is genetic recombination, which shuffles the genes into new combinations which can result in organisms exhibiting different traits.
you basically explained evolution in a nutshell. It's survival of the fittest.

The Bible says that God is righteous. Therefore, he tells the truth. So, if Jesus wasn't the messiah, then God is a liar, and is therefore no longer the Christian God.
again you use the bible as a source to prove the bible. you're forming a fallacy of circularity

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
UncleSam- He doesn't just force to people believe in Him because He respects their free will. We shouldn't have to be clearing up mistakes on such basic things in debate.

And secondly, pretty much all of the evidence he's presented appart from the fulfillment of prophecies, isn't found from reading the Bible, so I don't know where you're getting the idea that all his arguments come from the Bible.

jaswa

Smash Journeyman
UncleSam- He doesn't just force to people believe in Him because He respects their free will. We shouldn't have to be clearing up mistakes on such basic things in debate.
Umm, depends if you believe Calvinistic or Arminian theology actually ;)

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I was just thinking about how the atheists here are saying "you can't use the Bible to prove the Bible is true".

Apart from the fact that pretty much every argument presented by Nicholas and Jaswa can't be found found from just reading the Bible, making that claim pointless, would using the Bible to prove the Bible always be fallcious?

We know the Bible wasn't done by just one author, it's a library of texts written over hundreds of years, and collaborated because they pointed towards a similar message.

It makes me wonder if the people before the Bible was collaborated used certain future-biblical texts to verify the accuracy of other future-biblical texts.

Josephus and Tacticus are non-biblical sources which verify the Bible, as such, they are deemed valid sources. If the Church decided to incoproate them into the Bible for future versions of the Bible, does that mean in 200 years people can then say "You can't use Josephus because it's a part of the Bible"?

Basically, a perfectly valid source becomes invalidated simply because it becomes accepted by the Church.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Pardon me if this point has already been made or not. I have been in and out for a while so I have kind of lost track :(. Anyway here is my statement on the subject...

Any and all evidence that proofs a historical event in the bible is limited to said historical event in the most limited scene.

For example, let us say someone found evidence for the building known as the Tower of Babel. That evidence of course along with other evidence proofs that there is a Tower of Babel. Now, it is not proof that god game down and scattered men in many directions changing there ability to speak to each other. It means and only means that the Tower of Babel was indeed real. It does not necessarily mean, without other forums of evidence, that the legend is real. Just because sodom and gomorrah burned does not mean god burned it.

jaswa

Smash Journeyman
But if the New Testament proofs the historical man of Jesus, then his miraculous actions back up his claims to be God.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
But if the New Testament proofs the historical man of Jesus, then his miraculous actions back up his claims to be God.
I know we are supposed to try and keep debating among debaters limited in the proving grounds so I will try to keep my response short.

No, it does not. We already know that there is an historical Jesus. It is not the new testament that proofs some historical events in the new testament, it is archeological evidence. Archeological evidence only backs up the historical parts of the new testament it does not back up the mythological parts of the new testament. Let us use an example: if the yellow emperor is a real historical person does that mean he is the son of a dragon? Just because Jesus is real is person does that make him god?

jaswa

Smash Journeyman
We never said "Just because Jesus is a real person, he's God." We said "If Jesus is a real person and he claims to be God and backs this up with miracles, we then know he's God." So the question is (the point of the thread...) is the New Testament telling us what really happened. And like we've already mentioned - it's one of the most well documented history we have today and if you don't want to accept that, then you can forget Alexander the Great and four Roman Emperors ever existed.

@your dragon analogy; if the emperor says he's the son of a dragon and proceeds to exhibit dragon-like abilities, then yes we can accept that he's the son of a dragon.

This is also where Russel's Teapot fails - if plenty of astronauts went to space and recorded eye-witness accounts of the teapot and these recordings were passed down correctly, then yes we can agree that there's a teapot out in space.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Alexander the Great can be believed in part because he doesn't have miracles attributed to him. If the stories about him said that he was 10 feet tall and breathed fire, then we would probably be skeptical of those as well.

jaswa

Smash Journeyman
If there were 2400 times the number of documents about him breathing fire, another religious text criticising him for breathing fire and other secular texts talking about his existence - then I'd believe he breathed fire.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
If the above scenario were true, and at least a few people who wrote the documents were not followers of Alexander (meaning they observed his adventures, but did not take part in them nor were affected by them), I would only believe that these people believed he could breath fire.

I dont even believe that the twelve disciples existed to write any documents.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
If the above scenario were true, and at least a few people who wrote the documents were not followers of Alexander (meaning they observed his adventures, but did not take part in them nor were affected by them), I would only believe that these people believed he could breath fire.

I dont even believe that the twelve disciples existed to write any documents.
Can you present sources to back that up?

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Can you present sources to back that up?
Back up what? I said that I believe these things, as they are opinions. I was responding with an example, which showed that I disagreed with what jaswa says would be enough evidence to believe that Alexander could breathe fire.

Or do you want me to back up that the twelve disciples dont exist? There arent any historical documents that state that cetain people do not exist...the burden of proof would be on the Christians that want to prove their existence.
If you want to you can try, but please do not do what Nicolas did and give websites (as proof of the disciples) that do not have any related sources.

Or do you want proof of what I implied: that there is no evidence of disciples or Jesus' miracles outside of what early Christians have written?

It may not be any of the above, you need to be more specific with what you want proof of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom