• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evidence behind the new testament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaswa

Smash Journeyman
... of A 2000 year old document that claims that miracles happened (which violate our current understanding of the world).

Also lol at the post above ... I really needed a wall of text explaining to me exactly how many people Jesus fed :laugh:
His point is that it's not "one document" as you say, but 4 different documents by 4 different authors with 4 different backstories and like I mentioned on the first page, there are thousands of manuscripts each containing varying portions/the whole of chapters of the New Testament.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
So the writers of the bible were killed for writing the bible, and knew that they would be killed for writing it, but decided to anyway. Well, people have done way crazier things for religion anyway. I mean, as you said, I probably wouldn't die for the truth either.
Sure, I can see a couple of people doing it. People have done dumber things in the past. But all 12 disciples? Sorry, but I don't buy that.

The writers may also have had a preconceived notion that Jesus was the messiah and therefore X, Y, Z must be true. They also were trying to, you know, spread their religion as well. Are there other accounts of Jesus besides those that believe he is the messiah? Ones which acknowledge these miracles?
Um, slipping stuff in that people at the time would KNOW to be false (as would be the case with a lot of the miracles) would hardly enhance their credibility.

Would you believe it if I told you I saw someone walk on water today, or feed a billion people with a loaf of bread or whatever? Probably not. But if someone 2000 years later finds that I wrote a book saying this, he should believe it?
It'd need some serious backing. However, if you managed to convince a ton of people, get 4 separate books written about your exploits that harmonize completely, convince thousands of followers to die very painfully on your behalf (even after you died), and get to the point where even the opposition doesn't dispute that you did miracles, I'd believe you.

As for the whole circular reasoning "Bible to prove the bible" thing... that doesn't hold water. Look, I can't go "A implies A, so A is true" or "A implies B and B implies A, so A is true", but using one part of the bible to prove another (so long as I prove that part first and avoid circular reasoning) is perfectly logical.

One last thing: I think it was a lot more than 5000. It was 5000 men, not counting women and children.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Why not? Obviously I can't use it like "The bible is true because the bible says so", but if I show the historical backing behind it and don't use circular reasoning it should be fine to use as evidence, right?
You are aware there are numerous gospels that were omitted by emperors and popes because they painted a different image of the messiah.

Furthermore, there are large gaps of historical evidence for much of the old testament. Noah's story defies historical evidence (there was no global flood) and the Exodus never happened (Jews were never slaves in Egypt, and a 40 year trek would leave some evidence, but there is none).

To say Jesus definitely fulfilled the prophesy that appears in the same book is lunacy. Of course he would since he appears at the end of the book.

Edit: can't add in the quote, but there is no harmony with the gospels; I showed two that treat the birth differently. In fact, Mary's virginity isn't even referenced in all gospels, and at one point, the word meant "young."

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
You are aware there are numerous gospels that were omitted by emperors and popes because they painted a different image of the messiah.
You're talking about the false gospels like the gospel of Thomas, right? Well let me inform you, those started appearing from the second until the sixth century, where as every single book in the new testament was written in the first. In addition, the writers often forged influential names, like Peter for example. Thirdly, the backing of the early church goes completely towards the books in the new testament today. The gospels weren't canonical for being included in the new testament, they were included because they were canonical.

Furthermore, there are large gaps of historical evidence for much of the old testament. Noah's story defies historical evidence (there was no global flood) and the Exodus never happened (Jews were never slaves in Egypt, and a 40 year trek would leave some evidence, but there is none).
I don't know as much about this area, but there is evidence of a global flood. Fossilised seashells have been found at very high altitudes, implying those areas were underwater at some point. As for the "never slaves in Egypt", are you aware that the Egyptian kings never recorded their defeats? Since they really got their crown handed to them on a silver platter, they'd wipe the whole fiasco from the record.

To say Jesus definitely fulfilled the prophesy that appears in the same book is lunacy. Of course he would since he appears at the end of the book.
Now you're just revealing your ignorance about the Bible in general. I've gone over the new testament vs old testament split. Your argument might have merit if the whole bible was written at one point in time, but Jesus fulfills prophecies over 400 years before his birth!

Edit: can't add in the quote, but there is no harmony with the gospels; I showed two that treat the birth differently. In fact, Mary's virginity isn't even referenced in all gospels, and at one point, the word meant "young."
Did you even READ my response to that?

ballin4life

Smash Hero
How would people of the time know the miracles to be false? People today get away with hoaxes, and people back then certainly would have been much more likely to believe in miracles since they did not have the scientific knowledge that we do today. Just because they didn't see an event happen doesn't mean that they knew that it didn't happen. Also, most of these people probably couldn't read anyway.

And how can you "use one part of the bible to prove another?" Suppose part A of the bible is true. What bearing does that have on the truth value of part B? You can't just say "well part A is true, so the bible is reliable, so part B must be true as well" Either part B introduces something new and unproven or it doesn't, and there is no need to prove it then because part A is already.

Also, after briefly examining wikipedia and a few sources, it seems like there are questions of whether parts of the bible were tampered with later. Why couldn't this be the case? Why are there so few NON-RELIGIOUS sources? When pretty much the only things that we know about Jesus are from documents that THINK HE IS THE MESSIAH you can see why I am skeptical.

AFAIK, the gospels don't all agree either. The death of Judas is different in two of them or something like that iirc. I'm sure serious critics have looked much harder for contradictions.

Overall, I'm basically asking this: do you not see how someone who is not religious would be skeptical about parts of the bible? 2000 year old supposed eyewitness accounts of magic aren't really that reliable.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I don't know as much about this area, but there is evidence of a global flood. Fossilised seashells have been found at very high altitudes, implying those areas were underwater at some point. As for the "never slaves in Egypt", are you aware that the Egyptian kings never recorded their defeats? Since they really got their crown handed to them on a silver platter, they'd wipe the whole fiasco from the record.

Now you're just revealing your ignorance about the Bible in general. I've gone over the new testament vs old testament split. Your argument might have merit if the whole bible was written at one point in time, but Jesus fulfills prophecies over 400 years before his birth!
Uhh give me a non-creationist saying there was a global flood. Also, Egyptians kept meticulous records which show them employing seasonal workers for pay (may have been Jewish, but slaves did not build pyramids). Also, historical records could be in the form of relics. We have discovered no evidence that the Jews wandered Egypt for 40 years.

On the second part, you have no concept of false prophesy. Our only records of Jesus performing miracles are the bible. Our only records of his supposed immaculate birth is the bible. If he fits the supposed prophesy of the bible (which other gods have as well such as Horus and Mithra), then it could have easily been done by force. Nevermind the omitted gospels of Mary Magdaline and Judas, both of which are estimated to be as old as the other gospels, Jesus' myth comes from the gospels and epistles by people who had an interest in spreading Christianity.

jaswa

Smash Journeyman
I realise you deleted your post but I might add this re contradictions:
Say in a court of law a murder is being analysed and 4 different witnesses all have the exact same story verbatim. This is pretty suspect, you'd think it was rehearsed wouldn't you. Their stories would be more believable if they all addressed the same main points about how the murder happened, but there'd be slight tweaks to their perspective.

In the Bible after Jesus death, one mentions like 5 people in a room with Jesus and another says there were 4, something along those lines. To me the slight variation in non-consequential matters adds to the validity of the texts yet they are all consistent with the main salvation issues accross all of them.

Re Judas: off the top of my head one of the authors knew first hand that Judas bought the Potter's field with the blood money for handing over Jesus then commited suicide, and another author heard second hand that the pharisees bought the Potter's field and Judas happened to die there. They can be seen to be consistent.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
How would people of the time know the miracles to be false? People today get away with hoaxes, and people back then certainly would have been much more likely to believe in miracles since they did not have the scientific knowledge that we do today. Just because they didn't see an event happen doesn't mean that they knew that it didn't happen. Also, most of these people probably couldn't read anyway.
Let's take one specific miracle, where Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead.

Background: As the story goes, the sisters Mary and Martha asked for Jesus because their brother Lazarus was sick. However, while Jesus was still on the way back, Lazarus died. Four days passed, then Jesus finally came and raised Lazarus from the dead.

That's the story. Now, suppose it was a lie and never happened. Well, just about ANYONE who knew Lazarus would KNOW it was a lie. I mean, people don't just lie sick for a while and then dead for 4 days without their friends noticing! So, why is it that nobody blew it apart? That would be absolutely prime material for the Pharisees to say "Look, these 'Christians' are liars, this story never happened!" And it doesn't matter that most of the people couldn't read. The Pharisees definitely could, and they'd be the ones with the most incentive to attack the story.

And how can you "use one part of the bible to prove another?" Suppose part A of the bible is true. What bearing does that have on the truth value of part B? You can't just say "well part A is true, so the bible is reliable, so part B must be true as well" Either part B introduces something new and unproven or it doesn't, and there is no need to prove it then because part A is already.
That's where the thing called ARGUMENT comes in. Here, let's take an easy example.

Part A: The bible is inspired by God.
Part B: The bible makes all these various prophecies.
Part C: The prophecies come true. (Need not actually be in the bible.)

Therefore, part B and part C imply part A. I never meant just "Oh, verse 18.c is true, therefore the rest of the bible is!".

Also, after briefly examining wikipedia and a few sources, it seems like there are questions of whether parts of the bible were tampered with later. Why couldn't this be the case? Why are there so few NON-RELIGIOUS sources? When pretty much the only things that we know about Jesus are from documents that THINK HE IS THE MESSIAH you can see why I am skeptical.
Have you looked at some of these supposed "tamperings"? The bible is one of the best documented ancient texts we have on record. These "tamperings" are merely minor differences at most. And most good Bibles have notes on them (stuff like "Matthew 14:9 does not appear in the most ancient manuscripts")

AFAIK, the gospels don't all agree either. The death of Judas is different in two of them or something like that iirc. I'm sure serious critics have looked much harder for contradictions.
Yeah, that route has been attacked time and time again. It's really pretty sad how people seize on surface contradictions. Let me explain the Judas thing.

Matthew chapter 27 says that Judas went away and hanged himself. However, Acts chapter 1 says that Judas "fell headlong, his body burst open and his intestines spilled out" (Nasty death, isn't it? :scared:). On the surface, this seems like a contradiction. However, it's easy enough to explain. Jewish law says that touching a dead body makes you ceremonially unclean. So, what people did was: They'd take a sword or something and cut the rope.

So, what happened was: Judas hung himself after betraying Jesus, and someone came along later and cut his body down, and it burst open when it hit the ground.

Overall, I'm basically asking this: do you not see how someone who is not religious would be skeptical about parts of the bible? 2000 year old supposed eyewitness accounts of magic aren't really that reliable.
Yes, but we have four of them by people who's lives (and horrible deaths) indicated that they completely believed what they wrote, as well as thousands of other first-century Christians recorded dying for Christ.

Uhh give me a non-creationist saying there was a global flood. Also, Egyptians kept meticulous records which show them employing seasonal workers for pay (may have been Jewish, but slaves did not build pyramids). Also, historical records could be in the form of relics. We have discovered no evidence that the Jews wandered Egypt for 40 years.
Why would a non-creationist admit there was a global flood? That's like me saying "Show me a creationist that admits the process of evolution." As for the Egyptian records thing... I don't know. I haven't read about the old testament the same way I have about the new, so I'm not equipped to debate you there. (If anyone else knows more about it I'd appreciate it.) Also, the Jews didn't wander Egypt for 40 years, they wandered in the wilderness after crossing the Red Sea.

On the second part, you have no concept of false prophesy. Our only records of Jesus performing miracles are the bible. Our only records of his supposed immaculate birth is the bible. If he fits the supposed prophesy of the bible (which other gods have as well such as Horus and Mithra), then it could have easily been done by force. Nevermind the omitted gospels of Mary Magdaline and Judas, both of which are estimated to be as old as the other gospels, Jesus' myth comes from the gospels and epistles by people who had an interest in spreading Christianity.
*sigh*. If there were any additional credible accounts about Jesus's ministry, they'd have been included in the Bible! The Bible is a compilation of books ABOUT Jesus's ministry (and other related stuff). Also, what do you mean "easily done by force"? Sure, there were some prophecies he could have easily fulfilled (like him riding into town on a donkey's colt), but many he had no control over, like Judas betraying him for 30 pieces of silver. Or the situation of his birth.

The omitted gospels were omitted because:

a) The evidence behind them wasn't nearly as good, and
b) They didn't line up with the canonical gospels and the evidence behind Jesus's ministry.

For crying out loud, those false gospels were written early 2nd century AT BEST! How on earth would Mary and Judas have survived that long to write them?!? (Especially considering Judas you know... suicided shortly after betraying Jesus.)

Finally, why would we have had people with an "interest" in spreading Christianity? Christians were under some INTENSE persecution back then. The only reason anyone could have for promoting an intensely unpopular religion and ultimately dying for it would be because they thought it was true.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
jaswa
Say in a court of law a murder is being analysed and 4 different witnesses all have the exact same story verbatim.
Nobody used the word "verbatim". No one cares if the story is told using the exact same words. We only care that it's the same story; which it's not.

Also, here are links to a 3 part video on Youtube called "The Jesus Timeline", that very clearly explains how the Biblical accounts of Jesus are inconsistent with what we know about history. It's very interesting, if anyone wants to watch them.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBufxLab5ns&feature=related
Part 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alfRadYFFhQ&feature=related
Part 3:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56RF-q3FJks&feature=related

Nicholas1024
That's the story. Now, suppose it was a lie and never happened. Well, just about ANYONE who knew Lazarus would KNOW it was a lie.
Maybe people who knew Lazarus did know that it was a lie. Or maybe the story never actually happened at all. Maybe Lazarus never even existed. He could have been a fictional character in a fictional story.

Nicholas1024
Part A: The bible is inspired by God.
Part B: The bible makes all these various prophecies.
Part C: The prophecies come true. (Need not actually be in the bible.)
Forgive me if you've already mentioned these, since I just got here, but what prophecies have come true?

Nicholas1024
Therefore, part B and part C imply part A.
No, they don't. It would just mean that the prophecies came true. It wouldn't tell us anything about why the prophecies came true. It could be coincidence, they could be self fulfilled prophecies, or the people who made the prophecies may have been able to make predictions using another method that had nothing to do with God.

I could just as easily use the same logic to prove the existence of just about anything I wanted to. Watch...

Part A: Mickey Mouse exists, and he talks to me.
Part B: I claim that Mickey Mouse told me it was going to rain today.
Part C: It rains.

Now, assuming B and C are true, would that prove that A was true? Of course not. That would be ridiculous.

Nicholas, let's forget about the parts of the Bible that contradict itself for a moment. What about the parts of the Bible that contradict reality? Matthew 4:8 says that Satan took Jesus to the top of a mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world. How could Satan have shown Jesus all the kingdoms of the world from one mountain unless the world was really small and also flat? So do you believe that the earth is flat, or is the story BS? And, if you say that it's allegorical, you have to explain how you can tell which parts of the Bible are allegorical and which parts aren't.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Maybe people who knew Lazarus did know that it was a lie. Or maybe the story never actually happened at all. Maybe Lazarus never even existed. He could have been a fictional character in a fictional story.
Read the thread. I've already dealt with the "Bible = fiction" crap. If the story was a lie, why didn't the people expose it? If Jesus and the events of the gospels never happened, why did the disciples die for him anyway?

Forgive me if you've already mentioned these, since I just got here, but what prophecies have come true?
Again, read the thread. I already made a post with links for you about prophecies that Jesus fulfilled.

No, they don't. It would just mean that the prophecies came true. It wouldn't tell us anything about why the prophecies came true. It could be coincidence, they could be self fulfilled prophecies, or the people who made the prophecies may have been able to make predictions using another method that had nothing to do with God.
Depends on the number and quality of the prophecies. If it just said "It will rain tomorrow", that's hardly impressive. However, if it does something more on the caliber of correctly picking the world series winner for the next 50 years, that implies some sort of inside knowledge. The only one with inside knowledge on the future would be God.

I could just as easily use the same logic to prove the existence of just about anything I wanted to. Watch...

Part A: Mickey Mouse exists, and he talks to me.
Part B: I claim that Mickey Mouse told me it was going to rain today.
Part C: It rains.

Now, assuming B and C are true, would that prove that A was true? Of course not. That would be ridiculous.
Covered that above.

Nicholas, let's forget about the parts of the Bible that contradict itself for a moment. What about the parts of the Bible that contradict reality? Matthew 4:8 says that Satan took Jesus to the top of a mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world. How could Satan have shown Jesus all the kingdoms of the world from one mountain unless the world was really small and also flat? So do you believe that the earth is flat, or is the story BS? And, if you say that it's allegorical, you have to explain how you can tell which parts of the Bible are allegorical and which parts aren't.
That's your "contradiction"? Seriously, all it means is that Satan took him up to a high mountain and showed him a good bit of the roman empire. As for how you determine which parts are symbolic... I take it that the only parts that are symbolic are those obviously symbolic (like a lot of the stuff in revelation). So maybe "many of" would work better than "all" in this instance. The new testament's been translated and there's only 20 different translations or so. However, does the word "all" take away from the passage's meaning in any way?

jaswa

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the scientist who thought up the idea of evolution and all the people providing acclaimed evidence for it are all in on a completely big troll expanding across generations ;)

Everything in the Old Testament fulfilled either later in the OT or in the New Testament. List would be pretty long. Mm quickly found this which has 100ish OT prophecies fulfilled by Jesus.

Prophecies came true to show things like you know; Jesus being the Messiah or how God keeps his promises etc. No real reason :rolleyes:

If you want to you can go through the list I provided and figure out if you could consciously choose to go out and fulfill everything predicted. Remember the OT finishes at 400BC so that doesn't leave them enough context to deduce one hundred things that will happen.

Context.

Some parts of the Bible are history, some are poems like Genesis 1 for example. Genesis 2 would clearly contradict it if they were both meant to be taken as factual history.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Maybe the scientist who thought up the idea of evolution and all the people providing acclaimed evidence for it are all in on a completely big troll expanding across generations ;)
Sig-worthy quote right there. You made my day.

Some parts of the Bible are history, some are poems like Genesis 1 for example. Genesis 2 would clearly contradict it if they were both meant to be taken as factual history.
Hm? I think Genesis 2 merely gives further details on the events from Genesis 1. I don't think they contradict. (Quick note: I've heard the word "day" as used in the Genesis 1 creation account might have been a mistranslation, with "era" being a better fit. Not sure if it's true or not though.)

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Nicholas1024
Read the thread. I've already dealt with the "Bible = fiction" crap. If the story was a lie, why didn't the people expose it?
None of the stories about Jesus were written during his supposed lifetime. They were written after the fact. It's like if I were to say "500 years ago there was a guy named Bob who could fly. If it's not true, then why didn't anyone expose it 500 years ago?" Well, maybe it's because no one knew about it 500 years ago, because I made it up just now.

Nicholas1024
If Jesus and the events of the gospels never happened, why did the disciples die for him anyway?
Where is your proof that they died for him?

Nicholas1024
Again, read the thread. I already made a post with links for you about prophecies that Jesus fulfilled.
I don't have time to read through the entire thread. If you don't want to repeat yourself, at least tell me where you said that.

Nicholas1024
Depends on the number and quality of the prophecies. If it just said "It will rain tomorrow", that's hardly impressive. However, if it does something more on the caliber of correctly picking the world series winner for the next 50 years, that implies some sort of inside knowledge.
No, it doesn't imply some sort of inside knowledge. All that would imply is that the predictions were accurate. You'd have to investigate further to find out why they were accurate.

There are plenty of people who are able to predict the future through completely non-supernatural methods. For example, I can predict what's going to happen at the end of a movie, or the outcome of a ball game. I could also predict things like who the next president will be, and if the economy is going to improve. It's possible for a person to accurately predict all sorts of things without guessing and without any sort of supernatural intuition. You can predict the future by examining the past and present of the various factors involved in whatever you're trying to predict.

Nicholas1024
The only one with inside knowledge on the future would be God.
How do you know that? There are plenty of people who claim to be psychic and who say they have inside knowledge of the future. I don't believe any of them, but, assuming anyone can have inside knowledge of the future, there's just as much reason to believe in them as there is to believe in God.

Also, what about the Fates that the ancient Greeks believed in? According to Greek legends, the Fates not only knew the future, but they actually determined it. If someone accurately predicts the future, it makes as much sense to assume that they got their information from the Fates as it does to assume that they got it from God.

Nicholas1024
That's your "contradiction"? Seriously, all it means is that Satan took him up to a high mountain and showed him a good bit of the roman empire.
It specifically says "all the kingdoms of the world." The Roman empire was not all the kingdoms of the world at the time.

Nicholas1024
I take it that the only parts that are symbolic are those obviously symbolic (like a lot of the stuff in revelation).
So do you believe the story of the tower of Babel? It says that people built a tower so tall that Yahweh became afraid that it would reach Heaven, and so he divided the people into different groups and made them all speak different languages. Never mind that the language thing is completely ridiculous. How big was this tower if it could almost reach Heaven? We've been all the way to the moon, and, not only have we not seen Heaven, but God hasn't tried to stop us out of fear that we were getting too close. So did the tower of Babel go far beyond the moon? And, if so, then why isn't there any evidence of such a magnificent structure having been built today?

Also, what qualifies as "obviously symbolic"? You could argue that most of the Bible was obviously meant to be taken symbolically, since it seems too ridiculous to be taken literally.

Nicholas1024
So maybe "many of" would work better than "all" in this instance.
That's not what it says.

Nicholas1024
The new testament's been translated and there's only 20 different translations or so.
Then how do you know which parts have been translated correctly?

Nicholas1024
However, does the word "all" take away from the passage's meaning in any way?
Yes, it takes away its consistency with reality, because it implies that the earth is flat.

jaswa
Everything in the Old Testament fulfilled either later in the OT or in the New Testament. List would be pretty long. Mm quickly found this which has 100ish OT prophecies fulfilled by Jesus.
So the Bible says that the prophecies in the Bible came true? Circular reasoning works because circular reasoning works.

jaswa
Prophecies came true to show things like you know; Jesus being the Messiah or how God keeps his promises etc. No real reason
You can't expect to get credit by just saying that the prophecies came true. You have to actually prove that they came true.

jaswa
If you want to you can go through the list I provided and figure out if you could consciously choose to go out and fulfill everything predicted. Remember the OT finishes at 400BC so that doesn't leave them enough context to deduce one hundred things that will happen.
I have no idea what list you're referring to.

jaswa
So, in other words, anything that contradicts something else wasn't meant to be taken literally? Gee, that's convenient. By the way, where in the Bible does it say that? I've read Genesis 1, and I apparently missed the part where it says that it's just a poem.

jaswa, I ignored you comment about evolution because it was so absurd that it wasn't even deserving of a response. Claiming that evolution is a big myth is like claiming that gravity is a myth. Also, it really has nothing to do with this discussion, which is supposed to be about the accuracy of the Bible.

Nicholas1024
Hm? I think Genesis 2 merely gives further details on the events from Genesis 1. I don't think they contradict. (Quick note: I've heard the word "day" as used in the Genesis 1 creation account might have been a mistranslation, with "era" being a better fit. Not sure if it's true or not though.)
Not only do they contradict each other, but literal translations of Genesis 1 say that there were more than one god.

Order of creation

Here is the order in the first (Genesis 1), the Priestly tradition:

Day 1: Sky, Earth, light
Day 2: Water, both in ocean basins and above the sky(!)
Day 3: Plants
Day 4: Sun, Moon, stars (as calendrical and navigational aids)
Day 5: Sea monsters (whales), fish, birds, land animals, creepy-crawlies (reptiles, insects, etc.)
Day 6: Humans (apparently both sexes at the same time)
Day 7: Nothing (the Gods took the first day off anyone ever did)

Note that there are "days," "evenings," and "mornings" before the Sun was created. Here, the Deity is referred to as "Elohim," which is a plural, thus the literal translation, "the Gods." In this tale, the Gods seem satisfied with what they have done, saying after each step that "it was good."

The second one (Genesis 2), the Yahwist tradition, goes:

Earth and heavens (misty)
Adam, the first man (on a desolate Earth)
Plants
Animals
Eve, the first woman (from Adam's rib)
Source: http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html#order

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Then explain lucy & Neanderthals for me.

IRL, have they been proven?

Prophecies came true to show things like you know; Jesus being the Messiah or how God keeps his promises etc. No real reason :rolleyes:

See my response above.

Why is half the bible true, the other half false?

ballin4life

Smash Hero
On prophecies:

I'll paraphrase an exchange from the Wheel of Time book series where the messiah (named Rand) is talking to a former false messiah (named Logain).

Logain says "All I had to do was fulfill a prophecy and then I would be known as the messiah by everyone".
Rand replies "Wait, one of the prophecies was that you had to be born in a certain place, but you weren't."
Logain then says "If I fulfilled one of the other prophecies, history would have shown that I was born there."

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
None of the stories about Jesus were written during his supposed lifetime. They were written after the fact. It's like if I were to say "500 years ago there was a guy named Bob who could fly. If it's not true, then why didn't anyone expose it 500 years ago?" Well, maybe it's because no one knew about it 500 years ago, because I made it up just now.
At this rate I'm going to get a concussion from all the facepalming you just made me do.

Look. It's not 500 years, it's 50. People who saw the actual events are STILL AROUND. Let's try your example again.

You: "50 years ago there was a guy named Bob who could fly."
Someone 60 years old or more: "That's a lie, I never heard of that sucker."
Everyone else: "Yeah, me neither! This guy's a liar!"
You: "..."

Where is your proof that they died for him?
Seriously, just check history. Most of their deaths aren't recorded in the Bible, actually. From an earlier post of mine in this thread...

Josephus was a very important Jewish historian of the first century. Born in 37 AD, he wrote most of his four works towards the end of the first century.

Anyways, in his book The Antiquities he describes how a high priest named Ananias took advantage of the death of the roman governor Festus in order to have James (the brother of Jesus) stoned.

The book itself says:

"He convened a meeting of the Sanhedrin and brought before them a man named James, the brother of Jesus, who was called the Christ, and certain others. He accused them of having transgressed the law and delivered them up to be stoned."
I haven't gone into close examination of history records from that time, but I'm sure there's similar ones detailing the other disciple's deaths.

I don't have time to read through the entire thread. If you don't want to repeat yourself, at least tell me where you said that.
Fair enough, it was post #21.

No, it doesn't imply some sort of inside knowledge. All that would imply is that the predictions were accurate. You'd have to investigate further to find out why they were accurate.
So, if someone happened to correctly predict the world series winner for the next 50 years, you wouldn't think they had some sort of special knowledge? Well if you believe that then I've got this nice bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

There are plenty of people who are able to predict the future through completely non-supernatural ways. For example, I can predict what's going to happen at the end of a movie, or the outcome of a ball game. I could also predict things like who the next president will be, and if the economy is going to improve. It's possible for a person to accurately predict all of those things without guessing and without any sort of supernatural intuition. You can predict the future by examining the past and present of the various factors involved in whatever you're trying to predict.
Yes, but you can't predict it 100% accurately. I'm sorry, but if someone correctly predicted the exact outcome of 100 ball games in a row or something with a similarly small chance, you can't just pass that off as luck.

How do you know that? There are plenty of people who claim to be psychic and who say they have inside knowledge of the future. I don't believe any of them, but, assuming anyone can have inside knowledge of the future, there's just as much reason to believe in them as there is to believe in God.
Yeah, but which one is the Bible claiming? Why should we believe another possibility over that which the prophetic source itself claims?

Also, what about the Fates that the ancient Greeks believed in? According to Greek legends, the Fates not only knew the future, but they actually determined it. If someone accurately predicts the future, it makes as much sense to assume that they got their information from the Fates as it does to assume that they got it from God.
Where do they teach people to troll like this anyway?

It specifically says "all the kingdoms of the world." The Roman empire was not all the kingdoms of the world at the time.
You're nitpicking. If that's the most severe criticism you can level at Christianity, I can feel 100% secure in my faith.

So do you believe the story of the tower of Babel? It says that people built a tower so tall that Yahweh became afraid that it would reach Heaven, and so he divided the people into different groups and made them all speak different languages. Never mind that the language thing is completely ridiculous. How big was this tower if it could almost reach Heaven? We've been all the way to the moon, and, not only have we not seen Heaven, but God hasn't tried to stop us out of fear that we were getting to close. So did the tower of Babel go far beyond the moon? And, if so, then why isn't there any evidence of such a magnificent structure having been built today?
Yes, I believe the story. However, you are misremembering it badly.

First off, it the people wanted a tower to reach to "the heavens", also known as the sky. Secondly, God was in no way afraid of the humans or their tower. However, he didn't want the humans to unite in a resistance against him (not because he would be in any danger, but because it would severely hinder those who tried to follow him on earth), so he confused their languages and scattered them. Thirdly, I believe there is some archaeological evidence of this tower (don't know much about the details though. Still though, you could probably find it on Google). And finally, what's so ridiculous about an all-powerful God changing the language of things he's created? If you made a computer program, you could convert its language from C to C++, right? (It would be a pain, but possible.)

Also, what qualifies as "obviously symbolic"? You could argue that most of the Bible was obviously meant to be taken symbolically, since it seems too ridiculous to be taken literally.
You could argue that most of evolution was obviously meant to be taken symbolically, since it seems too ridiculous to be taken literally. Quit trolling. The symbolism would be stuff like Jesus saying "I am the door to the Father" (or something similar. Don't remember the exact thing.) He obviously didn't mean he was a literal door with hinges.

That's not what it says.
Big deal. The point of the temptation was obviously the devil telling Jesus he'd give him the whole world if Jesus worshipped him.

Then how do you know which parts have been translated correctly?
You know, most of the translations are extremely similar. It's like substituting "Yes" for "Yeah". The meaning of the passages come through well in most translations.

Yes, it takes away its consistency with reality, because it implies that the earth is flat.
If you can't come up with a more meaningful criticism, I'm going to quit replying to you. Let me demonstrate the lack of logic behind your criticism.

Person A: "I'm going to go play the old ET videogame."
Person B: "Don't play that, everyone agrees that thing is horrible."
Person C: "YOU'RE A LIAR! NOT EVERYONE AGREES TO IT! I KNOW OF ONE PERSON IN SIBERIA WHO DOESN'T THINK THAT GAME IS THAT BAD! NOBODY LISTEN TO PERSON B! HIS CLAIMS DON'T MATCH REALITY!"

Edit: Ninja'd.

Then explain lucy & Neanderthals for me.
You're missing the point. (The people with access to that evidence are definitely in on the troll.)

IRL, have they been proven?

The propheices? Except for some ones about end times, yeah.

See my response above.

Why is half the bible true, the other half false?
It's not false. Give evidence and examples or be quiet.

On prophecies:

I'll paraphrase an exchange from the Wheel of Time book series where the messiah (named Rand) is talking to a former false messiah (named Logain).

Logain says "All I had to do was fulfill a prophecy and then I would be known as the messiah by everyone".
Rand replies "Wait, one of the prophecies was that you had to be born in a certain place, but you weren't."
Logain then says "If I fulfilled one of the other prophecies, history would have shown that I was born there."
On evolution:

I'll make up an exchange from some book you haven't read. It's where the scientist (named Richard) is talking to a former rejected scientist (named Charles)

Charles says "All I had to do was come up with one transitional form, and then I would be known as the discoverer of evolution by everyone."
Richard replies "Wait, one of the transitional forms was that ape had to evolve into man, but it didn't."
Charles then says "If I fulfilled one of the evolutionary links, history would have shown that ape did evolve into man."

You didn't actually prove anything. Either give evidence, or be quiet.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
How am I supposed to prove that Jesus didn't fulfill prophecies? C'mon now. You didn't address the underlying argument, which is that of course the people who think Jesus is the messiah are going to say he fulfilled messiah prophecies. If they didn't say that, then Jesus pretty clearly wouldn't be the messiah, right?

Also, on Bob the flying man:

People more than 60 years old can't actually say that Bob didn't fly, because they didn't see him or know of him. Even if they did, maybe Bob flew when they weren't around. Superstitious people from 2000 years ago with little formal education aren't going to be the most questioning types. Also, as mentioned earlier, not many people lived to be 60 back then.

Where are the NON-RELIGIOUS sources accounting all this? No random person at the time went back and wrote "HOLY **** some guy named Jesus was walking on water and turning it into wine today" in his diary or anything?

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
At this rate I'm going to get a concussion from all the facepalming you just made me do.
This.

The propheices? Except for some ones about end times, yeah.
Bible, yes. IRL, no. Do we even know Jesus existed?

It's not false. Give evidence and examples or be quiet.
Your friend said it.

You didn't actually prove anything. Either give evidence, or be quiet.
Why should we have to? You're the guy trying to prove god exists.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
This argument is pointless because there is literally no way to prove anything you are claiming, Nicholas. You are using the bible as your SOLE means of your argument, despite facts, logic, history, and reason. There's entirely too much material to even cover to get the core argument, and you aren't even acknowledging opposing arguments from any other perspective.

Seriously, this is like me claiming Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone is 100% factual and true. I know it's true because it talks about London and a secret world that exists, but you can only see it if you are apart of that world. I know it's true because Harry Potter is 100% true. There's no arguing or dissuading this point. If there were any claims that he's not true, it's false, and if there is a need for third party sources, it'd have been included with the 100% true book.

The same argument works for the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Buddha, Santa, and Jesus. The burden of proof is on the believer. Since you are locked into the bible being 100% factual, I'm pretty much done with this debate.

jaswa

Smash Journeyman
freeman123 said:
So, in other words, anything that contradicts something else wasn't meant to be taken literally? Gee, that's convenient. By the way, where in the Bible does it say that? I've read Genesis 1, and I apparently missed the part where it says that it's just a poem.
How many poems have you read that start with “THIS IS A POEM.” You go to a cinema – sit down and see video projected on a screen which is accompanied by audio so you deduce that you are experiencing a film. You can infer text type by context and style.

freeman123 said:
jaswa, I ignored you comment about evolution because it was so absurd that it wasn't even deserving of a response. Claiming that evolution is a big myth is like claiming that gravity is a myth. Also, it really has nothing to do with this discussion, which is supposed to be about the accuracy of the Bible.
I was applying the same line of thought to evolution (something commonly believed on these boards as fact and disproof of religion) as you did to the Bible, that is all.

On Genesis: Genesis 1 shows the order that God created things, but the days are not taken literally. Genesis 2 enforces the importance of man as the pinnacle of God’s creation. I personally believe in Old Earth Creation, science + Bible = good ;)

On Tower of Babel: People didn’t literally build a tower to heaven, “to the heavens” is imagery of into the sky. In Psalms David “looks to the heavens” and similarly along the poetic lines etc, is looking to the sky. Man was trying to build a name for himself here so God scattered their communicative abilites. Interestingly in Acts 2 after Jesus’ death when it’s God’s turn to make a name for himself, he brings peoples languages together at Pentecost.

On Temptation: God the Son became in form of human likeness to die on the cross for ours sins. Along with becoming a human Jesus had to experience the suffering and temptation of humans.
This argument is pointless because there is literally no way to prove anything you are claiming, Nicholas. You are using the bible as your SOLE means of your argument, despite facts, logic, history, and reason. There's entirely too much material to even cover to get the core argument, and you aren't even acknowledging opposing arguments from any other perspective.
You are saying this as if the Bible is one little book written by one author in one time period and we only have one document. The whole point of his original argument is that we can use the bible as our sole means of argument because the historicity of it expands across time periods, authors, and a multitude of manuscripts.

Seriously, this is like me claiming Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone is 100% factual and true. I know it's true because it talks about London and a secret world that exists, but you can only see it if you are apart of that world. I know it's true because Harry Potter is 100% true. There's no arguing or dissuading this point. If there were any claims that he's not true, it's false, and if there is a need for third party sources, it'd have been included with the 100% true book.

The same argument works for the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Buddha, Santa, and Jesus. The burden of proof is on the believer. Since you are locked into the bible being 100% factual, I'm pretty much done with this debate.
You are talking as if the Bible is one little book written by one author in one time period and we only have one document. The whole point of his original argument is that we can use the bible as our sole means of argument because the historicity of it expands across time periods, authors, acceptance when it was written and a multitude of manuscripts - which Harry Potter, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Buddha and Santa don't have.

This is a discussion board and we've clearly got plenty of points still in discussion. Stop stamping your authority around as an Admin with "This argument is pointless because" ...I don't personally believe it, etc.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord

Have you READ the OP? How about any of my other first 5 posts? I've used sources to back up my arguments, but I seem to be the only person actually required to do so. You guys are free to make whatever claims and arguments you want and say the burden of proof rests on me, despite me having actually shown evidence. The same arguments I've used do not work at all with any of this other crap. The same arguments YOU GUYS are using against me I could quite freely use against evolution. And if you aren't actually going to take the effort to understand my arguments, I'm quite glad you're done with the debate. Good-bye. Here's some of the various NON-BIBLICAL sources I've used.

(Edit: I realize I lost my temper with the above paragraph. Sorry. However, I'm leaving it in slightly altered to show just how much you REALLY ticked me off.)

Did you even READ what I said about Alexander the great? His earliest biographies didn't even come until 400 years after his death. Is he a myth?

As for non-biblical references to Jesus:

Josephus was a very important Jewish historian of the first century. Born in 37 AD, he wrote most of his four works towards the end of the first century.

Anyways, in his book The Antiquities he describes how a high priest named Ananias took advantage of the death of the roman governor Festus in order to have James (the brother of Jesus) stoned.

The book itself says:

"He convened a meeting of the Sanhedrin and brought before them a man named James, the brother of Jesus, who was called the Christ, and certain others. He accused them of having transgressed the law and delivered them up to be stoned."

There's another passage he wrote about Jesus called the Testimonium Flavianum which is hotly disputed.

The passage is:

"About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who wrought surprising feats and was a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Christ. When Pilate, upon hearing him accused by men of the highest standing among us, had condemned him to be crucified, those who had in the first place come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared to them restored to life, for the prophets of God had prophesied these and countless other marvelous things about him. And the tribe of Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared."

The current scholarly verdict on this is that the passage as a whole is authentic, although there may be some slight alterations (That is, some early Christian copyists might have inserted some phrases that the writer did not actually put in there.) However, these PROVE the existence of Jesus completely apart from the Bible.

Here's another passage from Tacitus.

"Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstitution, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome....Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty: then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind."

So there you have a roman historian documenting that Pilate sentenced Jesus Christ to the death penalty. Pretending that Jesus never existed is one of the most logically bankrupt things I have ever had the misfortune to witness.

@Crimson King
An archaeologist named Jerry Vardaman has done a great deal of work there.
Luke said that the census was conducted when Quirinius was governing Syria and during the reign of Herod the great (the infantcide one). The obvious problem is that herod died in 4 BC, and Quirinius didn't begin ruling until AD 6. However, Jerry Vardaman found a coin with the name of Quirinius on it in very small writing, called micrographic letters. This places him as proconsul of Syria from 11 BC until after the death of Herod. It means that there were apparently two Quiriniuses. It wasn't uncommon to have plenty of people with the same Roman names, so there's no reason to doubt that there could have been two by the name of Quirinius. The census would have taken place under the reign of the earlier one. Given the cycle of a census every fourteen years, it works out. There's also other theories regarding this. One scholar Sir William Ramsay concluded that there was one Quirinius ruling Syria on two seperate occasions, and other scholars have pointed out that Luke's text can be translated "This census took place BEFORE Quirinius was governing Syria", which would also solve the problem.

Admittedly, the whole thing isn't an example of shining clarity for the gospels, but there are possibilities.

(Another side note: Yes, all of the above post got its material from the Case for Christ. Ka-:pow:)
Tell me, what would it take to convince you of a miracle? The best evidence I can give you here is that of the opposition. The Talmund, an important Jewish work finished about AD 500 that was complied about AD 200. It doesn't usually go into great detail about heretics (which Jews saw Jesus as), but there are several passages in the Talmund mentioning Jesus, calling him a false messiah who practiced magic and who was justly condemned to death. They also mention a rumor that Jesus was born of a roman soldier and Mary, implying that there was something unusual about his birth (the virgin birth). So, if Jesus didn't cause miracles, why didn't the opposition say so? Instead they say he was demon possessed and his power to create miracles came from the devil.

And here is a list of points you atheists have completely failed to refute.

1) If Jesus was a fake, why did all the people (most notably the 12 disciples) who would have KNOWN it was a fake die horribly for it?
2) If Jesus was a fake, why on earth wouldn't the Pharisees have exposed him? The jewish leaders absolutely HATED Jesus, and yet in the Talmund they don't deny the miracles. Instead, they claimed he was a magician and demon-possesed.
3) If Jesus was a fake, why did thousands of Jews who were around at the time of his miracles believe in him and become Christians instead of going "Who on earth is this Jesus guy, and why haven't I ever heard of him"?
4) If the gospels were forged or modified, why bother to leave the scene of Jesus's baptism in? Sure, it can be explained, but if you're forging stuff anyway, why not just leave it out?
5) And finally, if numerous different prophecies about the Messiah that were written over 400 years before Christ's birth have come true in Jesus, why would you not accept him? Unlike the evolution thing, this one you can't just explain away with multiverses, and "we wouldn't be here otherwise" and infinite time. The probability of any one human fulfilling all those by accident is astronomically small.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Look. It's not 500 years, it's 50. People who saw the actual events are STILL AROUND.
I kinda want to point out that medicine thousands of years ago, hell 300 years ago, was far inferior to today's.
Thus, people's life expectancies were shorter, we can't be too sure that people were loafing around in their 50's

you also pointed out that the gospels were written about 70-80AD depending on the Writer, if they were to witness it, they would have to be well in their 80-90's.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
I kinda want to point out that medicine thousands of years ago, hell 300 years ago, was far inferior to today's.
Thus, people's life expectancies were shorter, we can't be too sure that people were loafing around in their 50's

you also pointed out that the gospels were written about 70-80AD depending on the Writer, if they were to witness it, they would have to be well in their 80-90's.
Just a couple points. First off, Jesus was born around 0 AD, and his ministry was around 30 AD. So that would only need people 50-60 years old to observe it. Secondly, we don't need everyone to survive, just some of the eyewitnesses. Even in that day of bad medical care, it's nearly certain that at SOME of the eyewitnesses were still around when the gospels are written.

(One last thing: The 70-100 AD dating for the gospels is the liberal one, but it's close enough anyway that it doesn't really matter. There's some evidence that they were written earlier, but the point's really immaterial.)

UncleSam

Smash Master
Just a couple points. First off, Jesus was born around 0 AD, and his ministry was around 30 AD. So that would only need people 50-60 years old to observe it. Secondly, we don't need everyone to survive, just some of the eyewitnesses. Even in that day of bad medical care, it's nearly certain that at SOME of the eyewitnesses were still around when the gospels are written.

(One last thing: The 70-100 AD dating for the gospels is the liberal one, but it's close enough anyway that it doesn't really matter. There's some evidence that they were written earlier, but the point's really immaterial.)
Jesus of Nazareth died in 30 AD if the authors of the gospels were in their 60s when they wrote it it would mean they were BORN near the time jesus died, so there would be no way for them to witness anything, nor would they be able to comprehend any of it.

jaswa

Smash Journeyman
Jesus of Nazareth died in 30 AD if the authors of the gospels were in their 60s when they wrote it it would mean they were BORN near the time jesus died, so there would be no way for them to witness anything, nor would they be able to comprehend any of it.
I'm pretty sure Jesus was actually born in 4AD and he lived to 33, so that gives us 37AD to ~70AD

Surviving 50yr olds would've been 17 when they saw Jesus' death and resurrection.

UncleSam

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure Jesus was actually born in 4AD and he lived to 33, so that gives us 37AD ~70AD

Surviving 50yr olds would've been 17 when they saw Jesus.
I read 5 BCE - 30 CE on wikipedia.
but hey, it's wikipedia.
also your dates are off, they would be 13.

jaswa

Smash Journeyman
I read 5 BCE - 30 CE on wikipedia.
but hey, it's wikipedia.
also your dates are off, they would be 13.
Umm, I'll try to find a source on 4AD - possibly mentioned earlier in this thread?

70AD minus 50yrs old = born in 20AD
20AD + 17yrs old = 37AD.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Have you READ the OP? How about any of my other first 5 posts? I've used sources to back up my arguments, but I seem to be the only person actually required to do so. You guys are free to make whatever claims and arguments you want and say the burden of proof rests on me, despite me having actually shown evidence. The same arguments I've used do not work at all with any of this other crap. The same arguments YOU GUYS are using against me I could quite freely use against evolution. And if you aren't actually going to take the effort to understand my arguments, I'm quite glad you're done with the debate. Good-bye. Here's some of the various NON-BIBLICAL sources I've used.

(Edit: I realize I lost my temper with the above paragraph. Sorry. However, I'm leaving it in slightly altered to show just how much you REALLY ticked me off.)

And here is a list of points you atheists have completely failed to refute.

1) If Jesus was a fake, why did all the people (most notably the 12 disciples) who would have KNOWN it was a fake die horribly for it?
2) If Jesus was a fake, why on earth wouldn't the Pharisees have exposed him? The jewish leaders absolutely HATED Jesus, and yet in the Talmund they don't deny the miracles. Instead, they claimed he was a magician and demon-possesed.
3) If Jesus was a fake, why did thousands of Jews who were around at the time of his miracles believe in him and become Christians instead of going "Who on earth is this Jesus guy, and why haven't I ever heard of him"?
4) If the gospels were forged or modified, why bother to leave the scene of Jesus's baptism in? Sure, it can be explained, but if you're forging stuff anyway, why not just leave it out?
5) And finally, if numerous different prophecies about the Messiah that were written over 400 years before Christ's birth have come true in Jesus, why would you not accept him? Unlike the evolution thing, this one you can't just explain away with multiverses, and "we wouldn't be here otherwise" and infinite time. The probability of any one human fulfilling all those by accident is astronomically small.
1) Who knows, people do crazy stuff for religion all the time. Also it's clear that not all of Jesus' followers died horribly, otherwise Christianity wouldn't exist. I'm not even sure who said that Jesus was a fake, in my uninformed opinion I think it's much more likely that Jesus was just a religious teacher who got crucified, and then people later exaggerated all the events.

2) Maybe they tried to, or maybe they thought that his death would be enough, or maybe they didn't have enough info to do so, etc.

3) Why do people join any movement? Why did some of the Jews not join his movement if he fulfilled all these prophecies? Jesus apparently was a charismatic religious leader, it's not hard to see why people would follow him. The gap between his death and the writings of the gospels allows a lot of time for the events to be exaggerated or changed around (speaking of which, why did they all wait so long to write these anyway? If the messiah came and started doing crazy miracles everywhere, I'd probably start writing my story while it was happening, or at least right after the resurrection.)

4) Maybe that's something that actually happened? Who knows? It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to leave it in anyway? Surely there is more than one example of something like this?

5) Well, you might not believe in the prophecies in the Old Testament. But anyway, if this is true then why were there Jews that didn't accept Jesus? This is also dodging my point about prophecies and how the people that want Jesus to be the messiah are definitely going to claim that he fulfills all the prophecies.

You have brought up evidence, but you can't ever claim that the burden of proof is on us to show that it didn't happen. You can't prove that Harry Potter didn't happen (especially since there is a device in the series for changing people's memories :laugh:), you can only say that it is unlikely or that there is not enough evidence for it.

For a more realistic example, why don't you believe in Mohammad?

Evidence is kind of what science is all about. Determining which explanation for something best fits the evidence that we have. Evolution is currently the best explanation for the evidence that we have. Accounts of miracles etc go against a mountain of evidence that we currently have, and we don't have enough evidence to say that they truly occurred.

P.S. I'm not an atheist.

jaswa

Smash Journeyman
Just quickly (I have to go) on points 3 and 5, while Jesus fulfilled prophecy, he didn't fit the preconceived ideas that some Jews had of him. They expected a king to lead them against their oppression from the Romans, not an eternal king.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
UncleSam, not a note on the debate, just your formatting:

Could you avoid underlining your posts please? It's a little distracting, and it's also easy to mistake for a link (since a lot of times, people will embed links to sources into their text), or for something you're trying to emphasize.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
1) Who knows, people do crazy stuff for religion all the time. Also it's clear that not all of Jesus' followers died horribly, otherwise Christianity wouldn't exist. I'm not even sure who said that Jesus was a fake, in my uninformed opinion I think it's much more likely that Jesus was just a religious teacher who got crucified, and then people later exaggerated all the events.
Not good enough. I meant the chief followers, the 12 disciples. Out of the twelve disciples, 11 of them died in various ways, and the 12th got exiled.

2) Maybe they tried to, or maybe they thought that his death would be enough, or maybe they didn't have enough info to do so, etc.
I'm sorry, but if his disciples were going around saying he did miracles when he never actually did them, the Pharisees saying "No, he never did any such thing" would have stopped it all cold. (Not to mention the crowds themselves likely wouldn't believe the disciples.) Also, in the Talmund which was written around 200AD, the Pharisees claim that Jesus was demon-possessed and a magician.

3) Why do people join any movement? Why did some of the Jews not join his movement if he fulfilled all these prophecies? Jesus apparently was a charismatic religious leader, it's not hard to see why people would follow him. The gap between his death and the writings of the gospels allows a lot of time for the events to be exaggerated or changed around (speaking of which, why did they all wait so long to write these anyway? If the messiah came and started doing crazy miracles everywhere, I'd probably start writing my story while it was happening, or at least right after the resurrection.)
The gap is immaterial by historical standards. If we can't trust the gospels after merely a 40-60 year gap, how on earth could we trust stuff like Alexander the Great after a 400 year gap?

Also, society back then was somewhat different from that today. People didn't usually write everything down, instead they memorized stuff. There wasn't much in the way of books, (or scrolls of papyrus, which was the equivalent of the time). No, the printing press wasn't invented back then, and 80-90% of education, learning, etc. was done by word of mouth. In fact, rabbi's (Jewish teachers) were famous for having the Old Testament memorized. So yeah, they probably wouldn't have written it down until they saw a need for it.

4) Maybe that's something that actually happened? Who knows? It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to leave it in anyway? Surely there is more than one example of something like this?
There is, actually. For example, Mark 6:5 says that Jesus could do few miracles in Nazareth because the people there had little faith, which seems to limit Jesus's power. And in Mark 13:32 Jesus said he didn't know the day or the hour of his return, which seems to limit his omniscience.

Now ultimately theology doesn't have a problem here, as in Philippians 2:5-8, Paul talks about God in Christ voluntarily and consciously limiting his divine abilities. However, if I was forging and making stuff up, why not just leave those parts out? It would have been much easier.

5) Well, you might not believe in the prophecies in the Old Testament. But anyway, if this is true then why were there Jews that didn't accept Jesus? This is also dodging my point about prophecies and how the people that want Jesus to be the messiah are definitely going to claim that he fulfills all the prophecies.
What Jaswa said.

You have brought up evidence, but you can't ever claim that the burden of proof is on us to show that it didn't happen. You can't prove that Harry Potter didn't happen (especially since there is a device in the series for changing people's memories :laugh:), you can only say that it is unlikely or that there is not enough evidence for it.

For a more realistic example, why don't you believe in Mohammad?
I don't know much about Mohammad, actually. As far as Harry Potter, you couldn't disprove it directly, but you could attempt to walk through the wall that would get you to platform 9 and 3/4. When that fails, presto! Harry Potter has been proven false. Even when you can't observe the thing directly, you can figure it out by the traces it leaves behind.

Evidence is kind of what science is all about. Determining which explanation for something best fits the evidence that we have. Evolution is currently the best explanation for the evidence that we have. Accounts of miracles etc go against a mountain of evidence that we currently have, and we don't have enough evidence to say that they truly occurred.

P.S. I'm not an atheist.
Hm. Agnostic then? Anyway, if you can't shake the testimony of Jesus, you'd do well in considering it further. What more would it take for you to be convinced of his claims?

Oh yeah, thanks for reading my points and replying to them. You seem to be one of the few people not on my side of the debate who are doing so, so thanks for that. :)

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Nicolas, you keep talking on an on about the disciples being proof of Jesus, when you havent even proved that the disciples existed. If you can prove that 12 men followed around a religious figure, I really dont see how you could prove that they died horrible deaths for their supposed religious ideals.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Nicholas1024
Look. It's not 500 years, it's 50. People who saw the actual events are STILL AROUND. Let's try your example again.

You: "50 years ago there was a guy named Bob who could fly."
Someone 60 years old or more: "That's a lie, I never heard of that sucker."
Everyone else: "Yeah, me neither! This guy's a liar!"
You: "..."
Okay, fine... 1,960 years ago there was a guy named Steve who said that 50 years before that there was a guy named Bob who could fly. If it's not true, how come no one exposed it 2,010 years ago?

Nicholas1024
Seriously, just check history. Most of their deaths aren't recorded in the Bible, actually. From an earlier post of mine in this thread...
There isn't any historical evidence of the apostles dying for Jesus, and, even if there was, they could have just been crazy. There have been people who have jumped off buildings thinking they could fly. Why would they do that if they couldn't really fly? Maybe because they honestly believed that they could fly because they were out of their freaking minds.

Nicholas1024
Fair enough, it was post #21.
I can't believe you just made me go all the way back to post #21 to find out that your argument is that the prophecies came true because the Bible says they did. You can't use the Bible to prove the Bible.

Nicholas1024
So, if someone happened to correctly predict the world series winner for the next 50 years, you wouldn't think they had some sort of special knowledge?
No. My first guess would be that they were doing some sort of trick; not that they had some kind of magical ability to see into the future.

Nicholas1024
Well if you believe that then I've got this nice bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
Yeah, because not believing that someone can have a magical ability to see into the future makes me gullible.

Nicholas1024
Yes, but you can't predict it 100% accurately. I'm sorry, but if someone correctly predicted the exact outcome of 100 ball games in a row or something with a similarly small chance, you can't just pass that off as luck.
I predicted the outcome of 100 ball games in a row 100% accurately, and my evidence for doing this is that I say I did it. Do you believe I'm God now?

Nicholas1024
Why should we believe another possibility over that which the prophetic source itself claims?
We shouldn't believe any of them. They're all equally ridiculous.

Nicholas1024
Where do they teach people to troll like this anyway?
I'm not trolling. I'm staying completely on topic and I made a completely legitimate point. There is just as much evidence that people could find out the future from the Fates as there is that they could find it out from God. If you don't have an argument against this, you should show a little integrity and admit that I'm right, instead of trying to dismiss me as being a troll.

Nicholas1024
First off, it the people wanted a tower to reach to "the heavens", also known as the sky.
The Hebrew word for Heaven and sky were the same. Heaven basically was the sky, originally. That's where people believed that God was. Heaven didn't become a separate thing until we started finding out that there was much beyond earth's sky, and that we could actually go up into the sky and see that God wasn't there. It basically became a separate thing as a result of theists moving the target rather than just admitting that Heaven doesn't exist.

Nicholas1024
However, he didn't want the humans to unite in a resistance against him (not because he would be in any danger, but because it would severely hinder those who tried to follow him on earth), so he confused their languages and scattered them.
Why does God allow airplanes and space shuttles?

Nicholas1024
Thirdly, I believe there is some archaeological evidence of this tower
Then that's another thing that you're wrong about. There isn't any evidence of a tower that goes beyond the moon.

Nicholas1024
And finally, what's so ridiculous about an all-powerful God changing the language of things he's created?
Because anyone who's bothered to study the history of languages at all knows that that's not how different languages came about. Languages naturally change over time. People naturally convert to a way of communicating that blends in with the culture around them. That's why people from different areas have different accents and different words for certain things(like pop instead of soda). It's also why people pick up accents that they didn't originally have if they live in a new area long enough. If you took a bunch of English speaking people and put them on their own island where they had no contact with anyone else for 1,000 years, by the end of the 1,000 years they would speak a completely different language than their ancestors who inhabited the island originally.

Nicholas1024
Big deal. The point of the temptation was obviously the devil telling Jesus he'd give him the whole world if Jesus worshipped him.
Even that makes no sense. How can the devil give Jesus the world? Isn't Jesus supposed to be God? Doesn't God already have the world? That's like someone trying to sell me my own car.

Nicholas1024
You know, most of the translations are extremely similar. It's like substituting "Yes" for "Yeah". The meaning of the passages come through well in most translations.
Then stop saying that anything in the Bible that makes it look bad wasn't translated correctly.

Nicholas1024
If you can't come up with a more meaningful criticism, I'm going to quit replying to you. Let me demonstrate the lack of logic behind your criticism.

Person A: "I'm going to go play the old ET videogame."
Person B: "Don't play that, everyone agrees that thing is horrible."
Person C: "YOU'RE A LIAR! NOT EVERYONE AGREES TO IT! I KNOW OF ONE PERSON IN SIBERIA WHO DOESN'T THINK THAT GAME IS THAT BAD! NOBODY LISTEN TO PERSON B! HIS CLAIMS DON'T MATCH REALITY!"

Edit: Ninja'd.
No, it's more like if I were to tell you that I was going to sell you a whole candy bar for a dollar, and then I take your dollar and only give you half of the candy bar. Would you feel ripped off, or would you think that I meant "half" even though I clearly said "whole" originally?

jaswa
How many poems have you read that start with “THIS IS A POEM.” You go to a cinema – sit down and see video projected on a screen which is accompanied by audio so you deduce that you are experiencing a film. You can infer text type by context and style.
What I want to know is how you're able to tell which parts of the Bible are meant to be allegorical. You said that some of the Bible isn't meant to be taken literally. How did you find this out? You must have gotten this information from somewhere. Or did you just make it up on your own?

jaswa
The whole point of his original argument is that we can use the bible as our sole means of argument because the historicity of it expands across time periods, authors, acceptance when it was written and a multitude of manuscripts
Well, you're wrong, because you can't. You're out of your mind if you think that you're going to convert a single non-Christian person by saying that the Bible is correct because it says so in the Bible.

Nicholas1024
Prove that they died for it or stop using this argument.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, they could have been crazy. Also, just because someone lies about knowing something doesn't mean that they don't still believe it to be true. If I claim to have seen Bigfoot and I'm lying, I can still believe that Bigfoot exists even though I know that I didn't actually see him myself.

Likewise, I could claim to have seen Jesus in person, and even if I knew I hadn't really seen him I could still believe that he was the son of God. So if I really believed that Jesus did resurrect, even if I didn't see him come back myself, I could still lie about seeing him even at the cost of my own life because I believed that giving my life for that lie would result in me going to Heaven.

Nicholas1024
How do you know that they didn't expose him? How do you know that Jesus even had anything to be exposed? Maybe he never even claimed to be the son of God, or a prophet, or anything. There isn't a single writing by Jesus himself. How do you know he ever really claimed any of these things? Or that he even existed at all?

Nicholas1024
Again, where is your evidence that thousands of Jews converted to Christianity during Jesus' lifetime?

Nicholas1024
Why would you expect them to have left it out? I'm not even sure what your point is here.

Nicholas1024
5) And finally, if numerous different prophecies about the Messiah that were written over 400 years before Christ's birth have come true in Jesus, why would you not accept him?
You haven't been able to demonstrate that a single prophecy has come true. "Because the Bible says so" is not a valid argument.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
UncleSam, not a note on the debate, just your formatting:

Could you avoid underlining your posts please? It's a little distracting, and it's also easy to mistake for a link (since a lot of times, people will embed links to sources into their text), or for something you're trying to emphasize.
That's what he's trying to do: make you click his posts.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Okay, fine... 1,960 years ago there was a guy named Steve who said that 50 years before that there was a guy named Bob who could fly. If it's not true, how come no one exposed it 2,010 years ago?
Because, Steve never actually claimed it. You made him up. You never hear any Bobians going to churches on Sunday, do you? You never hear about Bobians going far and wide to preach their gospel and dying horrible deaths about it, do you? The disciples are definitely not made up, and neither is their testimony.

There isn't any historical evidence of the apostles dying for Jesus, and, even if there was, they could have just been crazy. There have been people who have jumped off buildings thinking they could fly. Why would they do that if they couldn't really fly? Maybe because they honestly believed that they could fly because they were out of their freaking minds.
Here's a link for you. This one contains a list of how the 12 disciples died and cites sources. (Along with some other prominent 1st century Christians and other stuff) http://www.bukisa.com/articles/3714...christ-died-and-what-it-means-to-be-christian

I can't believe you just made me go all the way back to post #21 to find out that your argument is that the prophecies came true because the Bible says they did. You can't use the Bible to prove the Bible.
You completely misunderstood the argument. Again. Let me lay it out one more time.

1) The Bible accurately represents history. (I've gone through this at least 4-5 times in the thread.)
2) Jesus satisifes the Biblical prophecies about the Messiah.
3) Jesus is the Messiah.

No. My first guess would be that they were doing some sort of trick; not that they had some kind of magical ability to see into the future.
The trick WOULD count as special knowledge, wise guy.

Yeah, because not believing that someone can have a magical ability to see into the future makes me gullible.
Whatever.

I predicted the outcome of 100 ball games in a row 100% accurately, and my evidence for doing this is that I say I did it. Do you believe I'm God now?
No. Let me say this just one more time. There. Is. Evidence. If you held every single scrap of history up to the same standard you require the Bible to meet, we wouldn't know anything about history! If you predicted the outcome of 100 ball games in a row 100% accurately and there were 1000 people or so who testified that you did it, I'm sure you'd get plenty of converts.

We shouldn't believe any of them. They're all equally ridiculous.
Your problem is that you're ruling out the supernatural from the start. How do you expect me to prove anything regarding God to you when one of your assumptions is that he doesn't exist?

I'm not trolling. I'm staying completely on topic and I made a completely legitimate point. There is just as much evidence that people could find out the future from the Fates as there is that they could find it out from God. If you don't have an argument against this, you should show a little integrity and admit that I'm right, instead of trying to dismiss me as being a troll.
Give me one scrap of evidence behind the Greek Fates. Now go back through the thread and look at the multitude of evidence I've given about the New Testament. QED.

The Hebrew word for Heaven and sky were the same. Heaven basically was the sky, originally. That's where people believed that God was. Heaven didn't become a separate thing until we started finding out that there was much beyond earth's sky, and that we could actually go up into the sky and see that God wasn't there. It basically became a separate thing as a result of theists moving the target rather than just admitting that Heaven doesn't exist.
Do you have any historical quotes or evidence behind that, or did you just make that up?

Why does God allow airplanes and space shuttles?
Because there's no way of reaching Heaven with those. The only passage to Heaven is through death: It's in another universe, if you will.

Then that's another thing that you're wrong about. There isn't any evidence of a tower that goes beyond the moon.
You're the one who made up the beyond the moon crap. I never said in any way that the tower went even close to the moon. That might have been what the people were aiming for, but they never finished it. Or did you not actually read the story? For all we know they might not have even finished the second level.

Because anyone who's bothered to study the history of languages at all knows that that's not how different languages came about. Languages naturally change over time. People naturally convert to a way of communicating that blends in with the culture around them. That's why people from different areas have different accents and different words for certain things(like pop instead of soda). It's also why people pick up accents that they didn't originally have if they live in a new area long enough. If you took a bunch of English speaking people and put them on their own island where they had no contact with anyone else for 1,000 years, by the end of the 1,000 years they would speak a completely different language than their ancestors who inhabited the island originally.
*Epic yawn* And I suppose you have sources to back all this stuff up? Yes, languages change over time, (just look at anything written in the old-style English 500 years ago), but not too drastically. You'll get accents, you'll get new phrases, you'll find some old ones erased, but if you were to remove Texas from the rest of the world for 1000 years or so, you'd find that Texans and other English speakers could understand each other on at least a rudimentary level.

Even that makes no sense. How can the devil give Jesus the world? Isn't Jesus supposed to be God? Doesn't God already have the world? That's like someone trying to sell me my own car.
There's this little thing called free will. Every human (whether they realize it or not) is serving either God or the devil at any given time. God could quite easily wipe the devil and all of us out at any given time, but he'd rather redeem us than crush us. Now, as every human being is in a struggle between God and the devil at all times, the devil could have easily given up the struggle and let God have them all. (As to why the devil would have made such a bargain: God has as all under judgement for breaking his laws, and the point of Christ was to live a perfect live and take our punishment. Had Christ sinned at all, his sacrifice would have become completely useless, as he would have deserved the crucifixion.)

Then stop saying that anything in the Bible that makes it look bad wasn't translated correctly.
If you try to pick up the intended meaning rather than harping on any and every tiny semantics error you can imagine, than I won't have to bring it up.

No, it's more like if I were to tell you that I was going to sell you a whole candy bar for a dollar, and then I take your dollar and only give you half of the candy bar. Would you feel ripped off, or would you think that I meant "half" even though I clearly said "whole" originally?
What does any of that have to do with my point? The devil would have given Jesus the whole world.

What I want to know is how you're able to tell which parts of the Bible are meant to be allegorical. You said that some of the Bible isn't meant to be taken literally. How did you find this out? You must have gotten this information from somewhere. Or did you just make it up on your own?
It's easy. You use the thing called a brain. If the meaning is totally absurd when taken literally, (like when Jesus says his words are like a double edged sword, that doesn't mean he'll decapitate people by talking to them!) then it's symbolic. Else, it isn't. And don't you dare respond with the standard "The miracles are absurd" crap.

Well, you're wrong, because you can't. You're out of your mind if you think that you're going to convert a single non-Christian person by saying that the Bible is correct because it says so in the Bible.
All you're proving is that you didn't bother to try and read my argument.

Prove that they died for it or stop using this argument.
Covered it above.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, they could have been crazy. Also, just because someone lies about knowing something doesn't mean that they don't still believe it to be true. If I claim to have seen Bigfoot and I'm lying, I can still believe that Bigfoot exists even though I know that I didn't actually see him myself.
So, are you really saying that a group of 12 crazies managed to convince thousands of other people to the point where they'd die for a lie when the community leaders were completely against the crazies? That's just absurd.

Likewise, I could claim to have seen Jesus in person, and even if I knew I hadn't really seen him I could still believe that he was the son of God. So if I really believed that Jesus did resurrect, even if I didn't see him come back myself, I could still lie about seeing him even at the cost of my own life because I believed that giving my life for that lie would result in me going to Heaven.
You know, Jesus died as painfully and shamefully as the Romans could contrive. That's not anything to rally behind. The disciples DID believe that Jesus came back from the grave.

How do you know that they didn't expose him? How do you know that Jesus even had anything to be exposed? Maybe he never even claimed to be the son of God, or a prophet, or anything. There isn't a single writing by Jesus himself. How do you know he ever really claimed any of these things? Or that he even existed at all?
The fact that Jesus existed has been documented by Josephus and Tacitus in Roman writings I've quoted in this very thread. The fact that he did miracles is documented by the Jewish leaders in the Talmund, AGAIN something I've quoted in this thread. (They accused him of being a magician and demon-possessed.) The fact that he claimed to be the son of God also has support from the Talmund, because else the Jewish leaders would have thought him to be the best thing since King David. (I mean, if someone went around healing the sick and raising the dead, that would usually qualify as a good thing, right? The only explanation is that Jesus did something the religious leaders absolutely hated, and claiming to be the Son of God would qualify.)

Again, where is your evidence that thousands of Jews converted to Christianity during Jesus' lifetime?
Actually, I believe most of the converts came after his death. After all, the crowd was yelling "CRUCIFY HIM!" at the time of his death. Anyway, as for the evidence that tons of people converted...

"Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstitution, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome....Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty: then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind."

It doesn't explicitly say Jews, but it's reasonable to assume that a good portion of them were.

Why would you expect them to have left it out? I'm not even sure what your point is here.
If you were to make up a story about Bob the flying man, would you include hard-to-explain details like "He could only fly in direct sunlight"?

You haven't been able to demonstrate that a single prophecy has come true. "Because the Bible says so" is not a valid argument.
The new testament is a collection of the most reliable books about Jesus. To say I can't use those to prove things ABOUT JESUS is absurd!

NNID
Budget_Player
Tell me, what would it take to convince you of a miracle? The best evidence I can give you here is that of the opposition. The Talmund, an important Jewish work finished about AD 500 that was complied about AD 200. It doesn't usually go into great detail about heretics (which Jews saw Jesus as), but there are several passages in the Talmund mentioning Jesus, calling him a false messiah who practiced magic and who was justly condemned to death. They also mention a rumor that Jesus was born of a roman soldier and Mary, implying that there was something unusual about his birth (the virgin birth). So, if Jesus didn't cause miracles, why didn't the opposition say so? Instead they say he was demon possessed and his power to create miracles came from the devil.
Either that, or...
-The Talmund was a fake
-The guy who wrote into it was a nut
-The guy who wrote into it was fooled...

Essentially, you're trying to use ancient texts to prove that something that the laws of science dictate impossible happened. OF COURSE WE'RE GOING TO BE SKEPTICAL! At this point, nothing will convince me of a "miracle" from any "god". Did you watch that video, "putting faith in its place"? The issue with any "miracle" is that almost no matter what you do, eventually technology will be far enough along to make it happen. Maybe if Jesus did raise the dead, then he was being manipulated by some hyperadvanced race with the ability to revive the dead within short spans of time? Hard to say. And this is, of course, assuming that he did do this.

There's a good reason beyond the one above (old document going against science) why I hold very little trust in pro-christian texts from that era. That reason is the crusade, plus the inquisition. God only knows how much evidence could've been destroyed, how much could've been falsified, and how much of the truth could be surpressed. Say there was a text by a famous historian of that time defining the life of Jesus Christ as a perfectly normal minister's life; i.e. he never did any miracles and simply created a massive religion out of slight of hand, "magic" tricks, and sheer charisma. Would that text have survived religious purges in the dark ages? I highly doubt it.

You completely misunderstood the argument. Again. Let me lay it out one more time.

1) The Bible accurately represents history. (I've gone through this at least 4-5 times in the thread.)
In bits and pieces; the rest of which are shoved off as "poetic". For some reason, which are which is decided after it's shown that certain events simply couldn't have happened (come on, how many people do you think believed that there really was a great flood before scientists proved that there wasn't? Some still do).

2) Jesus satisifes the Biblical prophecies about the Messiah.
As said, Part of the bible being right != other part of the bible being right.

3) Jesus is the Messiah.
...?

No. Let me say this just one more time. There. Is. Evidence. If you held every single scrap of history up to the same standard you require the Bible to meet, we wouldn't know anything about history! If you predicted the outcome of 100 ball games in a row 100% accurately and there were 1000 people or so who testified that you did it, I'm sure you'd get plenty of converts.
There is evidence; evidence that simply cannot be taken seriously for various reasons.

Your problem is that you're ruling out the supernatural from the start. How do you expect me to prove anything regarding God to you when one of your assumptions is that he doesn't exist?
Well jeez, there's your problem. You're trying to prove something that, by sheer definition of its class is not only unprovable, but that you can't even define reasonably! Proving that god exists inherently denies him of the title "god".

There's this little thing called free will. Every human (whether they realize it or not) is serving either God or the devil at any given time. God could quite easily wipe the devil and all of us out at any given time, but he'd rather redeem us than crush us. Now, as every human being is in a struggle between God and the devil at all times, the devil could have easily given up the struggle and let God have them all. (As to why the devil would have made such a bargain: God has as all under judgement for breaking his laws, and the point of Christ was to live a perfect live and take our punishment. Had Christ sinned at all, his sacrifice would have become completely useless, as he would have deserved the crucifixion.)
Yeah, the whole free will issue, no matter how often it is explained, still seems bogus to me. You have an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving god who would create humans who will sin, even though he knows they will sin, and would then condemn them to hell for all eternity. SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.

If you try to pick up the intended meaning rather than harping on any and every tiny semantics error you can imagine, than I won't have to bring it up.
Here we have a ridiculous double standard. Whenever there's something written in the bible that sounds even remotely accurate, historically/scientifically, bible apologists JUMP on it as proof that the bible is accurate. Anything shown to be wrong in the bible, and "it was just poetic" or "it was mistranslated" or "you're interpreting it wrong".

It's easy. You use the thing called a brain. If the meaning is totally absurd when taken literally, (like when Jesus says his words are like a double edged sword, that doesn't mean he'll decapitate people by talking to them!) then it's symbolic. Else, it isn't. And don't you dare respond with the standard "The miracles are absurd" crap.
Oh, but I will. I'm going to make the claim that <insert element X that isn't conclusively shown> GOD, as described by the bible, is Symbolic for the judgment we humans place on ourselves. After all, an "all-knowing, all-loving" creator who would **** one of his creations to hell for all eternity seems fairly absurd to me. Similarly, the Devil is also symbolic. Now why is this wrong? How are you able to say what is to be taken literally in the bible, and we're not?

So, are you really saying that a group of 12 crazies managed to convince thousands of other people to the point where they'd die for a lie when the community leaders were completely against the crazies? That's just absurd.
I'll say that a group of a few hundred, probably less, crazies convinced thousands of other people to the point where they'd go out and die for a lie in some stinking desert while those who made the call were sitting at home cozy away from any land mines, IEDs, or suicide bombers screaming "ALLAH AKBAR!".
I'll say that a group of whose size I'm not 100% sure about was able to convince a fairly large amount of a population to, if the moderates are correct, completely misinterpret their religion and turn a "religion of peace" into one that would fly two planes into massive skyscrapers, killing thousands of "infidels".
It's not that absurd, when you think about it. And back in those days? These are supposedly the enlightened times. Back then, it was every man for himself.

Again, you're trying to prove something that is completely unprovable and that goes against both any scientific testing and all common sense using texts that are easily manipulated from an era shortly before those who zealously believed in the gospel went in and trashed the place. Twice, IIRC. Furthermore, if you would draw the conclusion that either any nonspecific god, or worse, any specific god exists from this, then you are making a huge logical error.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
So basically, you're saying that regardless of any evidence shown, there can't be a God. If you're that stubborn, I don't see the point in arguing with you. Whatever I say you'll just twist around and toss it back at me, as you and everyone else has been doing for the past 5 pages. If you're so certain that you're 100% correct, why don't you take a closer look at the evidence? I provide evidence, I provide examples, I provide quotes, all you guys say is "That could have been forged" and toss it aside. If I were to do that to evolution you'd all be jumping on me in a second, but as long as you do it nobody cares. Well what if it wasn't forged? What if I'm giving you the truth? If you refuse to entertain even the slightest thought that you might just be wrong, I have nothing left to say to you.

jaswa

Smash Journeyman
On miracles; if we accept the premise that an omnipotent God exists then supernatural miracles are quite easily doable. If the Bible is accurate, then we can infer that an omnipotent God does indeed exist and can hence perform miracles. What you should be attacking is the validity of the Bible (you know, the whole point of this darn thread...) not the feasibility of the miracles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom