• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Everyone Look At Me!" The Marth Video Critique Thread.

Tetheta

Smash Cadet
Well since nobody seems to be replying to these I'll give it my shot, but take all of my advice with a hefty grain of salt as I'm new to the competitive scene. Just want to post something to try and get more people to respond to posts.
@ -Fatality- -Fatality- I only had time to watch the Sheik match and should probably have watched the Fox one since that's where you lost once skimming through it. It's a bit hard to give advice when your mistakes aren't being punished and things are working out for you. Ah well, here's what I observed, more or less sequentially:

- Several times you just sat in shield until sheik grabbed, seem to get better at this later or avoid the situation. You seemed to be spot dodging a lot which is neat and probably great practice but didn't seem to always work out for you, don't know enough to critique.
- You sometimes randomly throwing out a dair or b-up mostly in the first match but still sometimes just seemingly trying to get lucky, would try to be a bit more sure before tossing those out since they have such bad end lag.
Using upsmash a few times, guessing those were supposed to be u-tilts
Throwing out a lot of moves when it's really unecessary, might want to take a look at this thread in reddit, might be able to use the advice:
General lack of nairs except as a warm up of sorts. Is that because they're bad vs Sheik or do you just not use them much? Only times I really saw you use them was when you were keeping your fingers warm between deaths.
Very aggressive edge guarding (jumping off etc) is great to practice but obviously doesn't always work out for you. Think you should continue practicing it though, as it seems most SDs/deaths from it are just judgement based which you will improve on from using it.
In general though was fun to watch, as someone who is new to competitive smash I think I learned a few things I wouldn't have watching the top pros. Hope I was at least somewhat helpful, but as I said I'm a newbie so can't give in depth advice. The things I hear all the time are spacing and using your sword as a threat and to my eye your spacing seemed pretty good the whole fight, maybe a little overly-aggressive but it seemed to work well vs your opponent and that's a stylistic thing anyhow.

EDIT: In some of the other games I've played there's a rule in threads like this that if you're posting a video you want critiqued you have to post a critique of a previous video in that same post before you post your own. If we could implement that it might help the activity factor a bit. Currently seen a lot of threads for critique elsewhere since this one never gets replies.

Last edited:

net1234

Smash Ace
But most of the time, I don't have that convenience. How should I practice w/out people?
really the basics, l canceling wavedashing and movement in general. go up agains a lvl 9 and try not to get hit but dont really attack, if you're going to combo practice go up against a lvl 4 or 3. the best training comes from playing people who are better than you so really make an effort to smash with people and you'll grow exponentially faster. (also combo training on a level 9 will build bad habits)

Tetheta

Smash Cadet
Can someone please help me in improving my Marth? What shouldn't I do? What should I practice? What do I need to emphasize? Anything. Please and thank you for the help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da9lkScotu4
You look like you're in a pretty similar situation to me, starting to get basic tech down pretty well but don't really have anyone to practice with. I found this guide to be quite helpful, in particular the falcon video by F.Zero he links in his videos section. Has some solid advice for what to do when practicing alone.
Also if you're like me and 2+ hours from any potential weekly/tournament *hopefully you aren't in a bad place in Cali, big state) then I would suggest trying out DolphinPlay on the computer which would allow you to play with people online. I use it to play with a friend across the country (I'm in WA he's in TN) and though it's really laggy at peak times (University Internet) it's still way superior practice to just hitting CPUs. Good luck practicing!

Eric Tantay

Smash Rookie
Yeah that is my basic situation. And thank you so much for the guide! I really need it. :p Also, I'll try to use DolphinPlay. I need that type of practice

Eric Tantay

Smash Rookie
If you do end up getting Dolphin set up, PM me. I'm probably pretty similar skill level so would be fun to play a few matches.
Absolutely, man! Do you have Skype? If so, add me @ "ericstah". I'll probably be able to play DolphinPlay tomorrow/later today if you're still on.

Ifrit

Smash Rookie
Hey people! In the last 3 months I've tried to get into the competitive smash scene. I have always played smash but never at a competitive level. Anyway, I like to play as marth and falco. I want some advise on what I should improve on. Here is a video of my marth playing against a way better player than myself using falco. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJMirQYkCxQ&list=UUI5Jn1CFfSnAbv64IUjE54w
Any tips are appreciated, as I'm still really new to competitive smash and have only gone to 3 of these competitive type events. Thanks a lot!
Forgot to mention, my match starts at 33:10.

Last edited:

T-R3X

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eyqaSRYR-k
So I start (as marth) at 1:11:50. First two games are against sheik (to 1:20:31). After that I play a pretty scrubby fox (the guy has a good marth main though) to 1:37:13. For all those watching I think the first two games are better for critique (since the fox isn't great) but there are some cool moments against the fox. : )

I think I need to start calling out spotdodges and work on my general spacing. Also I keep doing fullhops when I mean to wave dash.

SlimStealthy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3754-6831-7372
everyone wants to get help but no one wants to give it lol. Im not an amazing marth but ill put in my 2 cents.
Hey guys, I finally got a match on stream which I won but I'm looking for any feedback you can give on anything i screwed up on or should have done.
http://www.twitch.tv/dead_on_tutorial/b/521326467
My match starts at 5:43:40
Thanks in advance.
things i noticed:
-A couple times you were cornered and you threw out some laggy moves like fsmash and bad grab attempts. I think when youre cornered like that your first goal should be just get out of the corner, not to throw out punishable attacks. Obviously if your opponent does something dumb make them pay for it though. Overall just focus on getting stage control back, then attack them.
-You had decent movement, but I noticed sometimes youd just dash dance in place pointlessly then run straight in. Think more actively during the dash dance; try and bait your opponent or push them into a bad situation, marths good at that.
-A few times peach was on the platforms and you jumped up next to it with an attack. Just stay under it, you can cover all her options with utilt or uair, theres no need to put yourself at risk of being hit.
-Too many nairs and dash attacks. Use nair more for a combo ender that puts the opponent offstage. Doing it in neutral will almost always get you grabbed. Dash attack shouldnt be used as an approach, its kinda situational. Its super easy to punish so dont blindly do them on shield.
-While recovering you jumped immediately after hitstun wore off. Sometimes you have to do that when youre at a low altitude, but if you get hit offstage high up, save the jump for when youre near the stage, it gives you more options and a back up if you get hit by projectiles. Also make sure to sweetspot the upb, marths landing lag is awful.
Those are basically all the things i noticed. I hope this at least helped you a bit dude and if it did let me know. Also Id be glad to give my opinions on someone elses marth as well. Just ask me

Trinion

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpHzFEsWXC8
I'm only concerned with the marth/falcon matches in the first ~35 minutes of the session, so disregard the fox matches in between. Aside from the tech flubs, what mistakes am I making in this match-up?
-How do I approach falcon better
-How should I be DI-ing against falcon
-Can I punish falcon with a better option than the ones I choose to do in the matches
-Any bad habits I should get rid of?
-What am I doing that's good?

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
I'm only concerned with the marth/falcon matches in the first ~35 minutes of the session, so disregard the fox matches in between. Aside from the tech flubs, what mistakes am I making in this match-up?
-Can I punish falcon with a better option than the ones I choose to do in the matches

this vid should help against cf somewhat and also di away when grabbed or up aired because CF has the most dangerous follw ups in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfBuAo_Bfvw

i didn't notice any big mistakes your just spacing incorrectly and setting up short hop double fair walls can help.
one mistake is that your not going into the stage when you try an aerial off the ledge. you have to push the analog stick towards the stage and then c-stick any aerial you want to do it successfully.

Last edited:

Dart!

Smash Master

Once you force falcon to up b below the ledge go out there and get him. Don't hesitate because even if he grabs you. Its a free tech and punish every time

Big Daddy Josh

Smash Apprentice
everyone wants to get help but no one wants to give it lol. Im not an amazing marth but ill put in my 2 cents.

things i noticed:
-A couple times you were cornered and you threw out some laggy moves like fsmash and bad grab attempts. I think when youre cornered like that your first goal should be just get out of the corner, not to throw out punishable attacks. Obviously if your opponent does something dumb make them pay for it though. Overall just focus on getting stage control back, then attack them.
-You had decent movement, but I noticed sometimes youd just dash dance in place pointlessly then run straight in. Think more actively during the dash dance; try and bait your opponent or push them into a bad situation, marths good at that.
-A few times peach was on the platforms and you jumped up next to it with an attack. Just stay under it, you can cover all her options with utilt or uair, theres no need to put yourself at risk of being hit.
-Too many nairs and dash attacks. Use nair more for a combo ender that puts the opponent offstage. Doing it in neutral will almost always get you grabbed. Dash attack shouldnt be used as an approach, its kinda situational. Its super easy to punish so dont blindly do them on shield.
-While recovering you jumped immediately after hitstun wore off. Sometimes you have to do that when youre at a low altitude, but if you get hit offstage high up, save the jump for when youre near the stage, it gives you more options and a back up if you get hit by projectiles. Also make sure to sweetspot the upb, marths landing lag is awful.
Those are basically all the things i noticed. I hope this at least helped you a bit dude and if it did let me know. Also Id be glad to give my opinions on someone elses marth as well. Just ask me
I haven't check smashboards in a while, I appreciate the reply and will definitely put your advice into practice. I've improved a lot of my movement,attacks of choice, and not jumping right away when recovering since that video was recorded, but that platform information is good i will keep that in mind as well as dash attacking/nairing too much. Thank you again.

Bebop86

Smash Cadet
So this is my second tourney ever. And I haven't been playing Melee that much but I did better this time so I'm gonna play it more. I have some videos of my Marth, feel free to critique. This is one of those "the list would be shorter if I told you what I liked" things most likely lol. Anyway, here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB-HZItgzEc Me(Bebop) vs Amish(Falco)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuBrQt16hMU Me vs Infinity(Fox)

net1234

Smash Ace
So this is my second tourney ever. And I haven't been playing Melee that much but I did better this time so I'm gonna play it more. I have some videos of my Marth, feel free to critique. This is one of those "the list would be shorter if I told you what I liked" things most likely lol. Anyway, here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB-HZItgzEc Me(Bebop) vs Amish(Falco)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuBrQt16hMU Me vs Infinity(Fox)
try reading this https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Daf_Dqod1HoMj7L26ITeUM-xKUKhfxh2vJLWOl2N0C8/edit, you look like your on a very low level of play so critiquing might be a little difficult, try getting more fundamentals down and expanding from there rather than having us pick this apart, my main piece of advice wud be grab more and once an enemy is above u u shud abuse ur priority and range harder for long juggles.

Bebop86

Smash Cadet
try reading this https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Daf_Dqod1HoMj7L26ITeUM-xKUKhfxh2vJLWOl2N0C8/edit, you look like your on a very low level of play so critiquing might be a little difficult, try getting more fundamentals down and expanding from there rather than having us pick this apart, my main piece of advice wud be grab more and once an enemy is above u u shud abuse ur priority and range harder for long juggles.
Well yeah, like I said, second tourney ever. A little more advice would have been helpful, but regardless, the google doc should be helpful. Thanks

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Well yeah, like I said, second tourney ever. A little more advice would have been helpful, but regardless, the google doc should be helpful. Thanks
I would say to stop throwing out moves all the time. Think about your moveset and what each move can be good for and when to best use it. If you wanted you could go into matches think about using a certain move well until you best understand it. Such as "in this match I will experiment with fair".

Bebop86

Smash Cadet
I would say to stop throwing out moves all the time. Think about your moveset and what each move can be good for and when to best use it. If you wanted you could go into matches think about using a certain move well until you best understand it. Such as "in this match I will experiment with fair".
Interesting way to think about it. Thanks :)

Genuine218

Smash Rookie
twitch(.)tv/uggenuine/c/4609066

Looking for any advice! I've only been playing a couple weeks now so I'm pretty noob. (I'm the white marth)

spevak

Smash Rookie
Posted this on reddit, but I'll repost it here.
Only time recently that I've made it far enough into bracket to play on the stream setup, unfortunately I had to play nintendude and did a lot of stupid stuff out of nervousness from playing such a good player. But it's all I've got recorded of me, so I'd appreciate a critique. I'm working really hard on improving right now so feel free to be as brutal as you want in your criticism, and also let me know if there are any types of training exercises you think I could benefit from.
youtube.com/watch?v=7xTU1Y7lduE

bossyjellyfish

Foxes Mate for Life
Finally got some footage of my marth in tournament, looking for some advice especially on my defensive movement options. I feel like I can navigate from neutral with some flubs. Looking for any criticism really. I'm Jellyfish btw (blue Marth).

Animage

Smash Cadet
Need huge help with Sheik matchup:
...and peach matchup:

Advice for cping stages also greatly appreciated

Last edited:

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
If anyone has anything to say/tell me about my marth at all, i'd greatly appreciate it. or any tips about my play in general. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwc1q8BNezI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgmVdiBeoCw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuYQa5Wqsvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAqcRmDhoR0
You're a really competent Marth, and those were fun to watch. One thing I noticed was a lack of creativity concerning off stage play, both in edgeguarding Falco, and also your own recoveries from ledge. I know there's a time and a place for everything, but it seemed like most of your onstage recoveries from ledge were just the basic "up" animation where he climbs on with no attack. No wavedash, no forward airs back to ledge. And for punishing him, I know you were trying to mix up the dtilts and counters, but it just seemed like Falco had the right read on you most of the time, and he never had to adjust to you chasing him offstage. Falco's recoveries are pretty predictable, so feel free to occasionally chase him out there and throw out a fair or something.
Also on the first video,starting at 2:05... he is just SCREAMING to be Ken combo'd there 3 straight times! He keeps jumping out of the fsmash, you get him back into position, but a fair- hop - dair would have killed probably on any of those attempts. Again I enjoyed watching you and you really have a good sense for his grab game too.

Last edited:

SlimStealthy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3754-6831-7372
You're a really competent Marth, and those were fun to watch. One thing I noticed was a lack of creativity concerning off stage play, both in edgeguarding Falco, and also your own recoveries from ledge. I know there's a time and a place for everything, but it seemed like most of your onstage recoveries from ledge were just the basic "up" animation where he climbs on with no attack. No wavedash, no forward airs back to ledge. And for punishing him, I know you were trying to mix up the dtilts and counters, but it just seemed like Falco had the right read on you most of the time, and he never had to adjust to you chasing him offstage. Falco's recoveries are pretty predictable, so feel free to occasionally chase him out there and throw out a fair or something.
Also on the first video,starting at 2:05... he is just SCREAMING to be Ken combo'd there 3 straight times! He keeps jumping out of the fsmash, you get him back into position, but a fair- hop - dair would have killed probably on any of those attempts. Again I enjoyed watching you and you really have a good sense for his grab game too.
I appreciate you watching them and your input man. Unfortunately im a Ness main these days lol. Just a pocket marth now

Top Bottom