• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Everyone Look At Me!" The Marth Video Critique Thread.

Darkoness21

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4758-7122
Alright, so there were a few pretty obvious flaws to your games.

1.) Movement. Overall, it just seemed lacking. It felt like you were either just standing there or you were running at your opponent. There were a few moments where you had some nice DDing and WDing, but otherwise you seemed kinda stagnant. DD around to keep him guessing about where you're going to go and what you're going to do and to make it easier to avoid attacks he throws out when he elects to approach.

2.) Punish game. There were a few nice fair strings, I suppose, but otherwise you kinda struggled to link 3 hits together. Go for uairs when you get him stuck on platform and then just keep juggling him for as long as you can. When uthrow utilt doesn't work the other 15 times, why not try something different, maybe fthrow techchase regrabs so you can get him onto top plat with a uthrow? Adapt when you notice things aren't working.

3.) Edgeguarding. There were multiple times in the set where your opponent just sweetspotted with his upB and you tried to fsmash him off. One time, he messed up his sweetspot and you punished with a lazy fsmash instead of a super good dtilt. Just WD edgehog and handle it past there. Falcon should be easy to edgeguard.

4.) Shielding. Shield way less. The main time I saw you shielding was right after you teched. A better player would have noticed this and just grabbed you every time you teched. After you tech, just start running around again to make yourself harder to get.

It's been a while since I've critiqued Marth's, but that should be a pretty good starting point.
Thanks for the critique. Others have told me to work on my punish game against characters as Marth, and the thing is though we were do I begin to improve my punish game? (I have the 20XX 4.0 Beta if that helps at all)

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Darkoness21 Darkoness21

Most of what you want to be able to do is be able to identify what move it is would be best in the situation, probably mostly through top-level player analysis. Before like 90%, you'll probably wanna opt for uairs because of the strings you can get in with those. The biggest exception to this is if you've got confirmed tippers or Ken Combo's. Starting around 90%, nairs and fthrows will help a lot just in forcing them offstage, and that's where the edgeguard game becomes so crucial.

Also, something that I forgot to mention earlier is that, due to the fact that it's not very safe and it's spacing isn't too good... don't approach with nair, especially on shield. Spaced fairs are a way better option if you HAVE to take to the skies in the neutral game, even though it's not horribly recommended.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Hey guys. Looking for some feedback in my recent tournament match against Captain Falcon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDT2gZcL_9k
I can't say much that hasn't already been stated. I can point out just a few things I noticed from watching that you might want to improve on.

1. You almost always get up from the ledge immediately. Most of the time it's a ledgehop Fair. If you don't learn to vary this it'll be trouble for you down the road.

2. You go for a lot of approaching Nairs which is good for cross-ups on shields if the falcon shields but as you might have noticed even captain falcon's side-b will beat out Nair if timed right.

3. Unsafe/non tipper approaches. Several times you do an approaching Fair on Falcon's shield and it's not even a double fair but a single one in which case the middle of the sword connects with the shield. This isn't safe and shouldn't be done at all. Not to mention at times when falcon is close you opted to try to Dtilt hi when you could've easily grabbed him. Giving yourself room to connect at tipper range with all of your attacks is the best thing to do for several reasons.

4. Reaction. I noticed you tried really hard to read/anticipate actions which usually comes from a lot of time spent playing by yourself and not vs other humans. Even if you drop games/set try to focus on reacting. As I mentioned above keeping yourself at Max range is good for several reasons. 1 such reason being that the more distance you have the more distance captain falcon has to close in order to hit you. Meaning you have more time to react. I suggest when you throw people stare intensely at them and as soon as they do a tech don't focus on attacking them as much as following their movement. In time you'll be able to think of the correct follow up to do while reacting to their tech options.

5. Swing and a miss! I noticed at times you didn't seem to care about your attack connecting as much as you seemed to just want to put an attack in Falcon's general direction. Which works well at low-mid levels. However once you start to step up even slightly above intermediate play you get punished hard for whiffing like that. Everyone has a different reason but it appeared to me like it was nervous panic or loss of patience. Perhaps a bit of both? Either way calm down. Sometimes maintaining stage position is more important then doing another attack that will not only miss for sure but will leave you open to be counter attacked.

6. Movement vs Useful Movement. The best thing you did imo was a moment on Yoshi's where you dash danced a great deal into a regrab. You had good movement but it also had a point. You are clearly aware of how to move around, Dash Dancing, Wavelanding, Wavedashing...etc. However, I'm not sure you are entirely aware of the 3 W's. When, Where, and Why? Several times during the set you seemed to get lost in movement as if you were trying to prove to your opponent or yourself that you cold do it and during these times you were hit sometimes lost a stock as a result. Having good movement is essential to being a good Marth but you've got to be aware of why you are moving. Much like whiffing attacks sometimes a move you make is just a wasted move. So try to focus on those 3 W's when you are practicing/studying.

7. Transitioning between Offense and Defense. As I said above lots of times you had really good movement but then other times you would stand still and try to observe which isn't exactly good especially vs a fast character like Falcon. I believe this is because you have a tough time making the mental leap from offensive thinking and defensive thinking. The best way I can explain it is to quote Bruce Lee: “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.”

What is being said is essentially that you must be fluid. You can't say to yourself "Okay I'm going to dashdance now for a bit, okay I'm gonna waveland off a platform, that was nice, Now! I'm gonna swing at him!" You've got to sort of merge the idea of attacking and defensing. Think of everything as a single concept instead of two separate concepts. Then everything becomes a matter of making the correct choices.

8. 1 more thing. I couldn't help but notice that if you miss and attack 8/10 times you will do another attacks. and 9/10 times you will only 1 attack if you miss an attack. So if I no this about you while playing I will wait for you to swing again after you've already missed and then I will punish you without fear.

It's more of a side note. I would study and look for habits in your own gameplay. Find your habits before your opponents can and always be mindful of what you do.

Darkoness21

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4758-7122

I can't say much that hasn't already been stated. I can point out just a few things I noticed from watching that you might want to improve on.

1. You almost always get up from the ledge immediately. Most of the time it's a ledgehop Fair. If you don't learn to vary this it'll be trouble for you down the road.

2. You go for a lot of approaching Nairs which is good for cross-ups on shields if the falcon shields but as you might have noticed even captain falcon's side-b will beat out Nair if timed right.

3. Unsafe/non tipper approaches. Several times you do an approaching Fair on Falcon's shield and it's not even a double fair but a single one in which case the middle of the sword connects with the shield. This isn't safe and shouldn't be done at all. Not to mention at times when falcon is close you opted to try to Dtilt hi when you could've easily grabbed him. Giving yourself room to connect at tipper range with all of your attacks is the best thing to do for several reasons.

4. Reaction. I noticed you tried really hard to read/anticipate actions which usually comes from a lot of time spent playing by yourself and not vs other humans. Even if you drop games/set try to focus on reacting. As I mentioned above keeping yourself at Max range is good for several reasons. 1 such reason being that the more distance you have the more distance captain falcon has to close in order to hit you. Meaning you have more time to react. I suggest when you throw people stare intensely at them and as soon as they do a tech don't focus on attacking them as much as following their movement. In time you'll be able to think of the correct follow up to do while reacting to their tech options.

5. Swing and a miss! I noticed at times you didn't seem to care about your attack connecting as much as you seemed to just want to put an attack in Falcon's general direction. Which works well at low-mid levels. However once you start to step up even slightly above intermediate play you get punished hard for whiffing like that. Everyone has a different reason but it appeared to me like it was nervous panic or loss of patience. Perhaps a bit of both? Either way calm down. Sometimes maintaining stage position is more important then doing another attack that will not only miss for sure but will leave you open to be counter attacked.

6. Movement vs Useful Movement. The best thing you did imo was a moment on Yoshi's where you dash danced a great deal into a regrab. You had good movement but it also had a point. You are clearly aware of how to move around, Dash Dancing, Wavelanding, Wavedashing...etc. However, I'm not sure you are entirely aware of the 3 W's. When, Where, and Why? Several times during the set you seemed to get lost in movement as if you were trying to prove to your opponent or yourself that you cold do it and during these times you were hit sometimes lost a stock as a result. Having good movement is essential to being a good Marth but you've got to be aware of why you are moving. Much like whiffing attacks sometimes a move you make is just a wasted move. So try to focus on those 3 W's when you are practicing/studying.

7. Transitioning between Offense and Defense. As I said above lots of times you had really good movement but then other times you would stand still and try to observe which isn't exactly good especially vs a fast character like Falcon. I believe this is because you have a tough time making the mental leap from offensive thinking and defensive thinking. The best way I can explain it is to quote Bruce Lee: “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.”

What is being said is essentially that you must be fluid. You can't say to yourself "Okay I'm going to dashdance now for a bit, okay I'm gonna waveland off a platform, that was nice, Now! I'm gonna swing at him!" You've got to sort of merge the idea of attacking and defensing. Think of everything as a single concept instead of two separate concepts. Then everything becomes a matter of making the correct choices.

8. 1 more thing. I couldn't help but notice that if you miss and attack 8/10 times you will do another attacks. and 9/10 times you will only 1 attack if you miss an attack. So if I no this about you while playing I will wait for you to swing again after you've already missed and then I will punish you without fear.

It's more of a side note. I would study and look for habits in your own gameplay. Find your habits before your opponents can and always be mindful of what you do.
Thanks a bunch! I will try to incorporate a lot of what you said. Right now, I'm looking at PewPewU's University playlist and practicing a lot of those movement options.

Stabsy

Smash Rookie
I finally beat my friend (Falco) as Marth. He usually beats me like 8 times before I win once or twice. This is one of the few cases. I struggle against the laser to dash attack approach and I don't know what to do against his down air. I might have won this game but I know I could have done much better. Are there any bad habits that I am not aware of? I only know that I roll backwards after I kill an opponent every time I take a stock.

(2:35) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUVfi5xJUmc

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I finally beat my friend (Falco) as Marth. He usually beats me like 8 times before I win once or twice. This is one of the few cases. I struggle against the laser to dash attack approach and I don't know what to do against his down air. I might have won this game but I know I could have done much better. Are there any bad habits that I am not aware of? I only know that I roll backwards after I kill an opponent every time I take a stock.

I don't have time to watch the set at the moment, but I can tell you some things mentioned in your original question.

Laser dash attack is actually really far from guaranteed. The lasers have 12 frames of stun if they hit you, and Falco has 4 frames of landlag after lasering. I've looked at frame data and there's no way that the dash attack is out in 8 frames (I think it's closer to 11 or 13). So you'll want to get used to dashing away right after the laser so that you can then come back in with a grab and punish him super hard for it.

His dair is actually pretty unsafe if you shield it, so I pretty much recommend that you shield dair. Now, the exception to this is if he does a late (low) SHFFL dair on shield. Unless they consistently do really low SHFFL dairs on shield, I'd honestly suggest shieldgrabbing them because it's a super easy punish. If they cross you up with the dair, WD OoS in the opposite direction as the one they landed in because you can probably take back stage positioning that way and it'd be hard to punish.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386

If I'm being honest I don't think you are at he point you can be given specific advice on what to do.

All I can really say is that both you and your friend need to study more about the game and try to punish each others habits to promote improvement.

Both of you get away with doing some things that are not only unsafe but they are impractical or down right outlandish. Study the game from the foundations, Learn more about the fundamentals study, practice, play, repeat.

Some things to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQxy26IijUA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kar3t4jUNw
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoU3TQBakHOqTUZpyYJoP6usmYGQKmolx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmcfXVQvE9E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-dqZ93qG44
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0vnsPOq4FD37x4d_yhRfS9yrziqCWGQ4

Have fun.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Can someone please critique my Marth vs my sub-region's best spacie player? I've been improving my punish game significantly against Fox and Falco but this player in particular sort of played my game where he zoned me out with well-spaced aerials and dtilts (especially with Fox) and I need assistance against that.

Please critique! Also do mute the volume too:

http://www.twitch.tv/heeeeeero/v/34088545

Last edited:

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Can someone please critique my Marth vs my sub-region's best spacie player? I've been improving my punish game significantly against Fox and Falco but this player in particular sort of played my game where he zoned me out with well-spaced aerials and dtilts (especially with Fox) and I need assistance against that.

Please critique! Also do mute the volume too:

http://www.twitch.tv/heeeeeero/v/34088545
Alright I'm in a rush so I can't say as much as I want to but I'll give you some key points.

• Your'e movement is good. but at times you move around without seeming to have a plan. Check everything you do, make sure every movement has a purpose and nothing is wasted.
  • You F-Smash WAAAAAY too often in neutral positions.
  • You get yourself stuck in shield too many times which is especially bad against fox/falco. If this player just shine grabbed your shield he would eat you alive.
  • you don't confirm off many of your dtilts(from what I saw). You would at times run up, land the dtilt and then dash away when you could've got a grab or another Dtilt or something that led to a kill.
  • You go for shield grabs or sometimes raw grabs which gets you punished a lot. The dash away run in grabs work well, especially against Fox.
  • Also you've got to up your anti-laser game vs falco. You want him to regret firing a laser at you. or at least think twice about it.

PoppaSquat

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0

Hey guys! This is my most recent match. Recently I've been focusing more on better dash dances and spacing, so any critique or insights on that is helpful. Also, I found myself having trouble edgeguarding a fox who expertly sweet spots the edge. I had some ideas like walk off counter and falling dairs, what do you guys think? thanks for your help guys!

-PoppaSquat

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice

Hey guys! This is my most recent match. Recently I've been focusing more on better dash dances and spacing, so any critique or insights on that is helpful. Also, I found myself having trouble edgeguarding a fox who expertly sweet spots the edge. I had some ideas like walk off counter and falling dairs, what do you guys think? thanks for your help guys!

-PoppaSquat
Started watching the first 15 seconds before realizing that I'm supposed to be studying in the library right now for my next class, but I'll get back to it and watch it later today. I will say right off the bat that the initial offstage situation where you missed the edge guard could have been covered much better in a few different ways than committing to counter so soon. What I would have probably done in this situation is wavedash to the ledge. From there, if he had gone for that angle, he would have gotten edgehogged, but if he had gone high, you could have ledgehopped a tipper upair on to the stage and regrabbed (or uptilted, or fsmashed, or daired depending on %/DI, but here I think I would have tried to regrab.

If you learn to dash at the ledge, and pivot wavedash back off the stage into a fastfall ledgegrab (which you might be able to do idk it's been awhile since I've played you). The only option left that can be a little tricky to cover is the one where they don't sweetspot, nor do they go high, but they instead ride up the wall just enough to land on stage. If you can take ledge fast enough sometimes you can just dair them as they are riding up the wall (or fair/nair stage spike). That's tricky though and it's hard to make blanket statements about edge guarding Fox as there are far too many factors involved and this is already a hypothetical scenario.

I'll probably have more to say later. I'd love to see some other people's opinions.

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
Laser dash attack is actually really far from guaranteed. The lasers have 12 frames of stun if they hit you, and Falco has 4 frames of landlag after lasering. I've looked at frame data and there's no way that the dash attack is out in 8 frames (I think it's closer to 11 or 13). So you'll want to get used to dashing away right after the laser so that you can then come back in with a grab and punish him super hard for it.
Be careful with frame data, laser frame advantage might not necessarily be 12-4. If the Falco lands/begins landing before the laser connects he'll have some additional time. Likewise, if they do an early laser without FF, that connects before they even begin landing they'll have a little less time. Furthermore, Falco's dash attack hits as early as frame 4. There's also factoring in that the Falco is going to have to start their dash and I think that adds 1 frame? (Cannot confirm what the earliest you can dash attack is). Either way there are a few more variables at play.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Hmm, you could be right on that account, but laser dash attack still isn't a good option at all. ASDI down should stop it for QUITE a while.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386

-PoppaSquat
1 word. Adapt.

This game is about finding the best method that works for any given situation depending on your opponent's ability to adapt to your adaptation, This could be a permanent or temporary solution. The reason why he's going for sweet spot every time is because it's the one option that you're not covering when fox is recovering from below the stage. If you know he's an expert at finding the sweet spot to the ledge try Grabbing it. If you had just grabbed the ledge and rolled up you would've probably won the set 2-0.

Some other things. Approaching with Nair is widely considered to be the worst approach option for marth. Nair in place or retreating, covering tech options or Nair approaching someone who is spot dodging is okay. But as far as neutral positions Running in with a Nair isn't exactly great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=5m29s See how the shine just goes right under your nair?

Also if Fox full hop bairs he'll staight up beat your nair. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=2m50s See?

Now here is Nair in place https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=4m49s If you had fast fallen the second hit would have landed and knocked fox down. See the difference?

Another thing I noticed Is you let those fsmashes fly way too frequently and they seem to be put out on the hopes that it'll find someone.

These:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=0m08s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=0m58s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=1m11s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=2m08s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=4m08s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=5m27s
Five seconds later https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=5m31s

You see what I'm getting at? The worst thing that can happen for you right now is that you practice with people who don't punish you hard enough for missed Fsmashes or that you play vs Foxes that run into them which allow you to believe it's a good option. However I'm trusting that you'll be accountable for yourself and try to set up situations where Fsmash is necessary or or guaranteed.

I will say that your work on dash dancing is evident it's actually very very good. Don't neglect the other aspects of your game though. Good luck. Hopefully I've helped.

PoppaSquat

Smash Rookie
1 word. Adapt.

This game is about finding the best method that works for any given situation depending on your opponent's ability to adapt to your adaptation, This could be a permanent or temporary solution. The reason why he's going for sweet spot every time is because it's the one option that you're not covering when fox is recovering from below the stage. If you know he's an expert at finding the sweet spot to the ledge try Grabbing it. If you had just grabbed the ledge and rolled up you would've probably won the set 2-0.

Some other things. Approaching with Nair is widely considered to be the worst approach option for marth. Nair in place or retreating, covering tech options or Nair approaching someone who is spot dodging is okay. But as far as neutral positions Running in with a Nair isn't exactly great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=5m29s See how the shine just goes right under your nair?

Also if Fox full hop bairs he'll staight up beat your nair. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=2m50s See?

Now here is Nair in place https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=4m49s If you had fast fallen the second hit would have landed and knocked fox down. See the difference?

Another thing I noticed Is you let those fsmashes fly way too frequently and they seem to be put out on the hopes that it'll find someone.

These:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=0m08s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=0m58s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=1m11s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=2m08s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=4m08s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=5m27s
Five seconds later https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylIy_yOFC0#t=5m31s

You see what I'm getting at? The worst thing that can happen for you right now is that you practice with people who don't punish you hard enough for missed Fsmashes or that you play vs Foxes that run into them which allow you to believe it's a good option. However I'm trusting that you'll be accountable for yourself and try to set up situations where Fsmash is necessary or or guaranteed.

I will say that your work on dash dancing is evident it's actually very very good. Don't neglect the other aspects of your game though. Good luck. Hopefully I've helped.
Hey thank you for the input!

In terms of forward smashing, would something like an f-tilt work better to cover aerial approaches since it has less lag? I normally only forward smash as much against foxes because I struggle with things like aerials into spot dodges to dodge my dash dance grab. I know I can wait out the spot dodge, and sometimes I do, I'm just looking for an option to try and catch a jumping fox. I thought f'smash might be better since the arc starts above marth's head. I know it's laggy, but I'm not sure what else to try. I'm generally trying to stay grounded in this situation since I've felt like jumping at a jumping fox is a bad idea because he'll reach the ground way faster.

In terms of nairs, thats probably leftover from the fact that I've been playing too much fox recently, and you're right I just don't get punished enough for it. I love marth but sometimes it seems like he's normally meant to just dash dance and d-tilt in neutral. I've also been having a lot of trouble against less aggressive foxes because I can't catch them (either with a grab or d-tilt). Do you have any tips about staying calm and patient so I don't commit to bad options like nair and f-smash in order to force an aggressive reaction from the fox?

Thanks again for all your help and advice!

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Hey thank you for the input!

In terms of forward smashing, would something like an f-tilt work better to cover aerial approaches since it has less lag? I normally only forward smash as much against foxes because I struggle with things like aerials into spot dodges to dodge my dash dance grab. I know I can wait out the spot dodge, and sometimes I do, I'm just looking for an option to try and catch a jumping fox. I thought f'smash might be better since the arc starts above marth's head. I know it's laggy, but I'm not sure what else to try. I'm generally trying to stay grounded in this situation since I've felt like jumping at a jumping fox is a bad idea because he'll reach the ground way faster.

In terms of nairs, thats probably leftover from the fact that I've been playing too much fox recently, and you're right I just don't get punished enough for it. I love marth but sometimes it seems like he's normally meant to just dash dance and d-tilt in neutral. I've also been having a lot of trouble against less aggressive foxes because I can't catch them (either with a grab or d-tilt). Do you have any tips about staying calm and patient so I don't commit to bad options like nair and f-smash in order to force an aggressive reaction from the fox? ]

Thanks again for all your help and advice!
Literally everything other than a counter/taunt is safer. Ftilt or if you trust your reaction you can actually Utilt Fox right out of the sky. I noticed you going for it sometimes actually be you were acting and not reacting. Often this player waited for you to throw out a few uptilts and then he hit you because Fox is good lol. The ultimate I'm not sure I can hit them is probably a jab or side-b. They are what I call feelers. If you throw out a jab in certain situations and it lands. Next time try putting out an forward tilt. If that lands it means you might be able to land Fsmash on that particular opponent. Not to mention you can also dash under fox, Do a retreating fair, or run up and shield. There are millions of things you can do really.

by less aggressive Fox's I'm assuming you mean Foxes that Double laser camp and run away?

I always tell people that in order for someone to camp you it requires you to participate in being camped. Most foxes are unwilling or unable to actually laser camp you for 8 minutes so if they want to play the time game just play the positioning game. If they run from you take center stage and carefully approach them. Do not commit with anything because fox is looking for you to commit. Usually if you run in dtilt the fox will Dair-shine you or if they have run dash away-pivot nair...etc. basically they are looking for an action so they can punish your reckless approaches. If you do a dtilt and it gets punished take notice of how it's punished. If they spot dodge, Wait for a spot dodge. If they full hop dair or empty hop grab you then do a fair when they jump and catch them jumping. If they shield your attack then next time grab.

Also dashing varying your dash dance length and speed is a good way to confuse your opponent. Make them nervous. It's what I call mental pressure. You want to get in a position that is dangerous but that doesn't mean you have to do anything. A lot of times if you get in range to land a tipper dtilt/fsmash the opponent will do something. Shield, roll, jump, spot dodge leap at you with a nair. It's important to take not of which option they pick and then adapt to whatever option they are using. Also from distance shielding or jump over lasers is okay. Do not let them see that you are impatient even if you are annoyed. You want them to believe that you are fully ready to just run around until the time runs out. Often times laser camping at the start of a match is just a means of sapping your moral and making you feel obliged to charge at them.

All I can say is Study the top players. Don't just watch, STUDY. Watch videos that you might've seen before over, and over, and over, and over until you understand why everything happens. There is a difference between observing and analyzing. Keep that in mind whenever you watch any matches from now on.

Once again good luck :).

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
PoppaSquat PoppaSquat

Before I get onto my nitpicky things, there's one thing that I want to focus on: last stock of game 3. You were at 0% and he was past 100%, meaning that killing him should have been relatively easy. So that got to your head and you threw out fairs, fsmashes, and nairs willy-nilly. You're honestly just lucky that you didn't get punished for this too much. Even if your opponent magically lives to 350%, don't let it get to your head. Instead of thinking that they're one hit away from dying, take note of how they treat the fact themselves. Do they try to camp you so they can get one clean hit to finish you off? Do they play super aggressively and try to overwhelm you with their sheer number of hitboxes and get earlier KOs? Do they opt to play super safe and avoid trades, instead waiting for you to overcommit? Think about all of these things when you get your opponent around 130%, because a solid shine or usmash OoS could've been super bad for you that last stock.

Nitpicky things:

You had a lot of good ideas, such as fairing the startup of Firefox or punishing his approaches with fsmashes. The issue was timing. There were one or two times I saw you go to fair Firefox, but you moved too late and got hit for it. Don't let that happen.

Jumping out of hitstun. I saw you do this after Fox launched you upwards during a trade. I'm relatively sure you could've wiggled the stick, wavelanded forwards, and gotten your positional pressure right back on, but instead of keeping it personal, you gave him back a nice portion of the stage to work with. I think this was game two. I know that you won, but it's still a relatively important mistake.

Edgeguarding. Against a recovering Fox, I personally think that using a WD edgehog to cover the sweetspot should be the first thing you do. Granted I main Falco now and can cover a lot of angles with my jump and bair, but Marth can still cover the non-sweetspotted angles just fine. Ledgehop uair covers a lot of them in and of itself, and always remember that you don't have to have somebody in hitstun to be beating them. If they land on a side platform, but they can't shield drop and you can cover the whole platform at once with a SH delayed uair, go for it. Use positional pressure and intelligent spacing to keep them on edge. An antsy opponent is far more likely to screw up and give you a crucial opening.

Adaptation. Granted that your opponent liked to mix up his stuff a bit, but you still had room to adapt. I honestly didn't really see you just try to bait him out or anything like that too much. It felt like you wanted to be in his face, and his defensive game was why you got outplayed sometimes. I know this might be hard to visualize, but try to get in that ONE area that he doesn't want you in. Maybe it's just a good dash away, maybe it's super far from him. There's some position that he won't like. If he wants to SHDL when you get far enough away, stay close enough that you can punish SHDL on reaction with a grab or something of the sort. Get creative. The simplest example of adaptation I can think of is the only tourney set I've won to date: I saw that the Fox I was going against wanted to drillshine usmash me whenever I got close enough, so I just baited him out by going either under it or WDing back at the last second. Your movement is definitely good enough for this, just work on reacting accordingly.

L33thal

Smash Apprentice

So this is a set I had against a solid Sheik in GF of Amateur's Bracket. Some of the things I did, like too much F-smash, were bad habits from a set vs. Samus just before this. But besides that, I feel like I kept getting hit or grabbed in neutral a lot. Can anyone give me tips or critique, please?

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I generally don't do super specific times, but... at 3:36, Dolphin Slash was a WAY better option.

It's getting harder for me to critique Marth's, but the two biggest things I noticed were a lack of dtilt/fair and way too much idly standing by. Just work on moving with a purpose no matter where you are in the set, and try to incorporate more WD/run cancel dtilts to improve your ground game. Also, approaching nair is a pretty bad option, especially as Sheik's ftilt outspaces it. Work on more retreating/in place fairs to cover yourself better.

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
Please give me feedback on this video as I want to get good and stop getting mad https://youtu.be/kbnJv1_y5eQ
You keep standing still and throwing out moves hoping that Falcon will run into them, that's not going to happen against a decent Falcon, and they will DD grab you into a hard punish every time. You also are approaching in very unsafe ways. Burning your double jump and coming down on someone's shield with a fair is a very very bad idea. In general, aerial approaches are frowned upon at this level of play. You also aren't really edge guarding with anything other than Fsmash/nB which can become problematic against Falcons good at upbing over you or fading back. In general, most every facet of your play could use some form of improvement, and you don't play like you have much of an idea what to do against Falcon. Perhaps look for a matchup guide against falcon to learn the basics. In general though, I would suggest staying on the ground and moving a lot more than you currently do.

The bigger issue I'd like to address here is your mental game. I don't think you will be able to improve much with the attitude you display in games. Your mindset is very toxic and it seems that you are only ok with winning. In this case, you were being out played by your opponent, and your opponent was not a phenomenal player. Being in the smash community means that you are going to lose over and over and over and over again before you can play in a way that even resembles "good." If you can't even make it to the end of the set without quitting, I have no idea how you are going to have the discipline to surpass the thousands and thousands of players that are already above your skill level. You need to be ok with losing, in fact you need to welcome it because it is the most important drive for improvement. Every single melee player loses, and every good melee player has lost hundreds and hundreds of times in order to become good.

AirFair

Marth tho
Please give me feedback on this video as I want to get good and stop getting mad https://youtu.be/kbnJv1_y5eQ
I don't think I saw you dashdance well once, and that's probably the best thing you could work on. Don't flail around with moves that much, because you are only running into falcon's grab.

When he just jumps at you for a nair or a knee, you can intercept it, as your fair has a better, disjointed hitbox that can snuff out any aerials, and if you tip it you can sometimes follow that up depending.

And you need to get that toxicity under control. Everyone loses. Some of us are still losing. But it's not going to be forever if you try and get something out of these matches.

Baltimarth

Smash Cadet
I don't think I saw you dashdance well once, and that's probably the best thing you could work on. Don't flail around with moves that much, because you are only running into falcon's grab.

When he just jumps at you for a nair or a knee, you can intercept it, as your fair has a better, disjointed hitbox that can snuff out any aerials, and if you tip it you can sometimes follow that up depending.

And you need to get that toxicity under control. Everyone loses. Some of us are still losing. But it's not going to be forever if you try and get something out of these matches.
I'm not that toxic it's just I get super salty. I'm just tired after going to Xanadu after Xanadu and being 2-0'd. All I want to do is win a set.

AirFair

Marth tho
Lol it won't be forever if you play to learn. SFAT played for 2 years without winning a single game. Look where he is now.

Baltimarth

Smash Cadet
Out of curiosity, do you know how many times you've gone 0-2 in bracket?
6 times man but I just played in a round robin tournament where the top 2/9 players in a pool advance(I didn't advance because I had 2 top MDVA players in my pool)and had a great time, check out this video from the tourney! I'm the white Marth and I left the tournament with a smile on my face and now I'm more hype on melee than ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJNt-H6rhO8

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
6 times man but I just played in a round robin tournament where the top 2/9 players in a pool advance(I didn't advance because I had 2 top MDVA players in my pool)and had a great time, check out this video from the tourney! I'm the white Marth and I left the tournament with a smile on my face and now I'm more hype on melee than ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJNt-H6rhO8
Alright, that's good. I just wanted to check how many times you'd gone 0-2 before in bracket because I've had it happen to me twice (won a single set in losers once) and was wondering how much it was hurting your mindset to lose so much. That doesn't sound bad, though. I regularly get bodied in friendlies at our weekly fests, and sometimes you've just gotta accept that winning takes a while.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Yall should try bringing around a notebook.
Bringing around a notebook is actually super underrated. I think that we're going to be having $1 singles every other week at my college, and I'm 100% going to start bringing my Melee notebook with me to figure out where it is I need to improve. I've already got a few mental things.

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
Yall should try bringing around a notebook.
I spent 12+ years in public education and started college all while having learned by taking and reviewing notes. Still surprised that it initially took me over a year of playing to consider that writing things down might help me in Smash lol. Simple but valuable advice.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I spent 12+ years in public education and started college all while having learned by taking and reviewing notes. Still surprised that it initially took me over a year of playing to consider that writing things down might help me in Smash lol. Simple but valuable advice.
NC hype and I 100% agree

PoppaSquat

Smash Rookie
hey guys I've been struggling recently against more patient sheiks. Here's the last set I played with one. I know I shouldn't be getting grabbed as much but is that all there is? I feel like if I'm dodging grabs I'll just get needled, and if I approach I'll get punished. I tried some baits too but ultimately those didnt work. I know my DI on f-tilits and fairs also aren't the best. Once again any help is appreciated thanks guys!

btw its starts at about 3:20 seconds in. IDK why they left a silly ganon falcon game in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WepKR5QTHsE&index=10&list=PLQvQxTDfob5B-mzDF8amsNR59bOSmSYtt

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Alright, so I didn't have any massive issues with your punish game overall, but the neutral definitely needed some work. From what I could tell, you weren't respecting him and you weren't forcing him to respect you. (Rob is also really good, so I mean...) Anyhow, I felt like you should have spent far more time just walling him out with spaced dtilts (you took advantage of the IASA frames pretty well) and occasionally SH double fairs. Then later, when he wanted to approach, you kinda just let him. You had some nice dtilts, but they were few and far between and most of the time you kinda just took advantage of the max-length DD and randomly ran in for a grab. I agree with starting out with the max-length DD, but start moving in towards him way more slowly by mixing up your DD length to make him more nervous slowly. Once you're at a range where he CAN'T react to your going for a grab anymore, that's when you want to go in with a JC grab.

Outside of my general neutral advice, I really suggest that you not nair OoS. Fair is faster and has more range below you if he's right in front of your shield. WD back OoS is also a super strong option unless it forces you completely into the corner. As an important side note, try to DI away from ftilt. If you DI out, it'll make it harder (impossible?) to make the fair followup.

Definitely marked improvement, though. Excellently done. Like I said, Rob's actually really good.

FlintTheWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
SwiggitySteven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR1t06SNpmk&feature=youtu.be

Alright, so I've been wanting some advice on how to improve my Marth, so I recorded a netplay set. I know netplay isn't the most accurate indicator of skill, but I figured that it's something.

Note: This set really wasn't my best. I made a few flubs that I normally wouldn't have, but they were my fault. Also, I know I used dash attack way too much. I'll have to work on using it more safely. Lastly, there are short periods of lag occasionally, and presence and I had some issues between games 1 and 2 with lag, so that's why nothing really happens in the first 30 seconds of game 2.

Furthermore, there are a few other errors I noticed (such as me not refreshing my ledge invincibility a couple of times and having it cost me a stock) and some instances where I flubbed wavelands/wavedashes. Anyway, I would be thankful if someone were to critique my play and tell me what I did well and where I can improve.

Kaoak

Smash Cadet
http://www.twitch.tv/ptbo_smash/v/52848765
EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpn8bF0KBqA here's the youtube link

It'd be awesome if anybody could scan this set for reoccurring errors or habits that I may make/have but not be aware of, or better ways to approach certain situations. Suggestions for adjustments I could make to my playstyle as a whole or smaller parts of that whole such as edgeguarding or dtilting would be extremely appreciated. Oftentimes I feel like I don't know where I need to improve anymore so some indepth outside perspective is what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom