• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ever thought about jumping ship?<

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
We've all heard the garbage: "it's widely accepted that Falcon is the worst" and "Falcon sucks". But why is it that we keep using the guy? Haven't you thought about switching to someone else? Who? I don't even know why I really keep it up. He's just fun, I guess. I want to enter a real tourney and try to fix Captain Falcons reputation in Brawl...

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Nope. And we use him because everyone secretly or not-so-secretly wishes they were Captain Falcon, and because when played right, he kicks insane amounts of az.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
like wogrim said hes good if played right.i will enter a tourney next week and try to fix his reputation too.
i have little tourney experience though.
nice sig smashbrother

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
yes,just go to regional zone,click your region and there should be a thread about your state or your city. click it

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
Nope. And we use him because everyone secretly or not-so-secretly wishes they were Captain Falcon, and because when played right, he kicks insane amounts of az.
As easy that is to say, I bring my Falcon to tourneys all the time, I had some old videos up vs. Key on our video thread, but those were all pre-tourney warm ups. When I do go to locals, I tend to place anywhere in between 20th to 9th, in respect to all the other good players there.

Yes, you may play a sick Falcon, we all can the more we practice, the simple fact is that we need more time to develop style, not to mention it seems most of my fellow Falcons are just playing in mirrors to get stuff started.

I'll have some tourney vids up in the next three weeks as I have a local coming up in a few days. Have fun in the mean time guys, over and out.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
As easy that is to say, I bring my Falcon to tourneys all the time, I had some old videos up vs. Key on our video thread, but those were all pre-tourney warm ups. When I do go to locals, I tend to place anywhere in between 20th to 9th, in respect to all the other good players there.

Yes, you may play a sick Falcon, we all can the more we practice, the simple fact is that we need more time to develop style, not to mention it seems most of my fellow Falcons are just playing in mirrors to get stuff started.

I'll have some tourney vids up in the next three weeks as I have a local coming up in a few days. Have fun in the mean time guys, over and out.
"playing in mirrors".... What does that mean?

I'm pretty sure that, mostly due to low priority, it is extremely important to know your opponent's options very well so that you can avoid/counter them. If you play against a character enough, you can sometimes see what they are thinking and punish it, particularly certain approaches, kill moves, and damage-building moves (some players get in a mindset that they need to land a certain move, like a grab for a chaingrab or a smash for a kill, and you can see it coming). I guess my point is contribute more to my matchups guide so we can all do better....

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
My best advice for anyone going to a tourny is to:

A) be your self- play how you normally play, don't try anything you've seen in a combo vid, it may look sick but the chances of it being pulled off are slim to none

B) don't close your cool

C) don't get hit

D) don't stand still

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
"playing in mirrors".... What does that mean?
Mirrors are any match up between the same characters. EG: Falcon vs. Falcon//ROB vs. ROB etc. etc.

Most all of the vids on our board are mirrors sadly :(.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
I admit it. I don't main Falcon anymore. I switched to DK. However, I still use Falcon and care about his metagame. He's still more than usable in doubles. In singles, he just doesn't cut it for me. However, I check these boards everyday and try to contribute.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
I admit it. I don't main Falcon anymore. I switched to DK. However, I still use Falcon and care about his metagame. He's still more than usable in doubles. In singles, he just doesn't cut it for me. However, I check these boards everyday and try to contribute.
don't worry we all know it's next to impossible to win with Falcon in singles

good job on choosing someone not top tier

Acidictadpole

Smash Cadet
Mirror matches are also an accepted term though :) Learn something new every day!

I haven't been playing brawl recently, but I was a falcon guy in melee and I still like playing him. I was sad to hear that he's not as well ranked among the smash cast but I know there is something that will make him good. Just gotta wait for someone to discover it :)

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Sry. I haven't been here for a while, my internet connection is total garbage. It was down for the past five days. But yes, sometimes I will pick up MK or Ike for a match or two. They're good... but something always drives me back to Captain Falcon. I don't know what... maybe my passion for the F-Zero franchise, or just becuase I'm used to him. Falcon is just to fun to play with for me to give him up.

Lionman

Smash Champion
I tried to play another characters, but Falcon is my spiritual character, I dont feel good playing other characters

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
you cant pick mk.everybody knows that only n00bs that spam all day play him.he doesnt even require skills.MK=thrash tier
True. There are very few MK players that are good just becuase of SKILL. Most Metaknight mains are terrible with the rest of the roster. I vote MK the most n00b freindly character.

The-Hobo

Smash Rookie
I think of switching sometimes... I always end up back with Captain Falcon. I've tried pikachu, toon link, sheik, ike, metaknight. No one's nearly as fun, and when you own you really own with captain falcon. These couple days I was thinking of switching again, to luigi or diddy but I don't think it'll last long. I'd be way better with falcon if the priority was bumped up to normal.... I mean really, I play against my marth-maining friend most of the time, and he can just hit me during any sort of recovery move, and I can't do anything about it.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
C. Falcon's just too fun to stop using. I don't know why people say he's the worst... What Captain Falcon lacks in tier he makes up for in awesome.

whitey whitey14

Smash Rookie
Look i main captain falcon too and i admit that he sucks. But as gimpyfish said before you can exceed to the next level you have to relize that your character is terrible. My two favorite brawl characters are sonic and capt. falcon, and i like them because they are terrible but that makes them more interesting to play.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
I main Ganondorf but Falcon is one of my secondaries because his play style is similar to Ganondorf's. Both of them are advanced characters that require you to know them inside and out to compete with the big leagues. And that unfortunately puts them lower in the tier list. People don't like playing difficult characters, they like playing easy ones (see: Meta Knight).

But don't let it get to you. Playing the underdog is part of the thrill.

whitey whitey14

Smash Rookie
Originally Posted by Union of Darkness
People don't like playing difficult characters, they like playing easy ones (see: Meta Knight).

But don't let it get to you. Playing the underdog is part of the thrill.
this is exactly what i am talking about someone who likes to play someone 2 of the worst characters in the game, and he does not care.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Yeah, thats why captain falcon and Ike are my 3rd and 4ths... its so fun to play with a "bad" character, then beating em and showing them wrong.

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
I play as bowser, once of the least popular characters as you know. Its the same idea basically, even if your character sucks, it has the right feel to it, and you enjoy playing as that character. Its great to be the underdog, and its even better to **** a "high-tier" character who is supposed to win.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I think I could do fine at a tournament...
as long as I don't play any Metknights. Or ROBs. No MK or ROB.

And I've been known to play around with DDD (I love the character), Falco (the guy is such a jerk, it's hilarious), and Ganon (the only character in brawl who I truly believe wants to kill his opponent) . But Falcon is the most fun for sure.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
The only character i can't play against is good wolf player.I don't know why but i can't beat him.
That's interesting because I played a pretty tough Wolf yesterday and was having trouble with him. He seems to FSmash all my approaches, and even if I come from the air it moves him away from my move to safety. I couldn't seem to get used to its range. He is also one of those characters with a low DSmash, so he would sometimes do that too to duck my aerials and hit me. He also seems to have a laser to FSmash combo, since the laser shoots slow enough and his FSmash moves him forward enough (he'll do it twice in a row if the FSmash doesn't knock you too far).

Hax

Smash Champion
he's my favorite video game character, and the manliest character in brawl. snake is nowhere near as awesome as captain falcon. :) i was a beast with him in melee, and i'm trying to make him good in brawl, but it's really hard. it's really all prediction. anyone in brawl can do good with good prediction.

and don't call me stupid, but i actually don't think falcon vs snake or falcon vs dedede is that bad of a matchup for falcon. =) but falcon vs metaknight.. that's another story lol.

ptown

Smash Ace
hax, you're a wise & more importantly, manly man-guy.

i've heard good things.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
he's my favorite video game character, and the manliest character in brawl. snake is nowhere near as awesome as captain falcon. :) i was a beast with him in melee, and i'm trying to make him good in brawl, but it's really hard. it's really all prediction. anyone in brawl can do good with good prediction.

and don't call me stupid, but i actually don't think falcon vs snake or falcon vs dedede is that bad of a matchup for falcon. =) but falcon vs metaknight.. that's another story lol.
Waddledees make it hard to approach on the ground, and his grab range make it hard to approach in the air due to shieldgrabbing. And his throws do a lot of damage. That's why I have trouble with him. His smashes and aerials aren't too hard to predict, it's mostly just too hard to approach him without getting grabbed.

Hax

Smash Champion
empty short hop a lot bro. play it like melee. cuz that's all this game is.. a dumbed down version of melee.

waddledees should be no trouble.. theyre a terrible projectile. jab -> grab a lot, then dthrow him. they'll always airdodge because brawl players are noobs, so you dash attack them which has a humongous hitbox and you already got like 20% in, AND they're in the air. 20% in brawl is like a stock in melee lol.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
empty short hop a lot bro. play it like melee. cuz that's all this game is.. a dumbed down version of melee.

waddledees should be no trouble.. theyre a terrible projectile. jab -> grab a lot, then dthrow him. they'll always airdodge because brawl players are noobs, so you dash attack them which has a humongous hitbox and you already got like 20% in, AND they're in the air. 20% in brawl is like a stock in melee lol.
I feel like it's the other way around... 20% in melee is like 100% in brawl; at 20% in melee one more combo can kill them, and at 100% in brawl a kill move can kill them. Since DeDeDe has a pretty big grab range I find it hard to grab him before he grabs me, even after a couple jabs.

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
The Final Countdown is now playing in your head.
Well, I went to a Brawl tournament for the first time with Capt. Falcon, and I was doing pretty well until the semis. The rules were 2/3 matches wins. The guy I was facing used Meta-Knight, and nearly 3-stocked me. He only lost a stock because he was messing around with the Infinite Dimensional Cape, and ended up falling. The second time was pretty good, but my last stock lost was just lost really quickly. If I remember, it was Dash Attack, D-Throw, U-Tilt, F-Air, F-Air, and Shuttle Loop. He took no damage, and my stock was lost kinda quickly. I know it's obvious that Capt. Falcon has an extremely harsh time dealing with Meta-Knight, but I couldn't help but feel depressed after losing quickly. After the tournament was over, I went home to play Brawl (in preparation to leave to a birthday party), and I couldn't 3-stock CPUs like I could before the tournament. I was almost on the brink of dropping Capt. Falcon.

The day after, I was playing Brawl with my sister, since she claimed she got tons better. After a couple of matches, she asked me why I wasn't using Capt. Falcon. I told her I was gonna drop him because I couldn't win like I used to, but she kept going on and on about how I shouldn't drop him, and that I'm the best Capt. Falcon user she's ever seen (Brawl-wise ofc), and it'd be a shame if I dropped him. So, I decided not to drop him. On that day, I used him nonstop, to the point where my friends would tell me to pick another character or they'll leave. So, as of then, I've gotten tons better with Capt. Falcon than I have in the past, and I'm proud to main him. In fact, I even look forward to Capt. Falcon vs. Snake/Meta-Knight sometimes. =)

Hax

Smash Champion
I feel like it's the other way around... 20% in melee is like 100% in brawl; at 20% in melee one more combo can kill them, and at 100% in brawl a kill move can kill them. Since DeDeDe has a pretty big grab range I find it hard to grab him before he grabs me, even after a couple jabs.
oops, that's what i meant lmao

Top Bottom