• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[EVENT OVER] Santa Barbara Gamefest! (Saturday, April 17th)

GosuSheep

Smash Journeyman
Santa Barbara Video Game Club is hosting its 3rd annual Gamefest!

This Event is Over!
RESULTS:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=10080920

VIDEOS:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=272435

Gamefest is an interactive gaming event that provides social and competitive gaming for console and pc gamers.

TOURNAMENTS:
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Super Smash Brothers Melee (Singles definitely. Doubles if time permits.)
Street Fighter 4
Tekken 6
Guitar Hero

There will be 40 computers set up for LAN games with Counter-Strike 1.6, Quake 3 Arena, Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne, Starcraft: Brood War, and Worms Armageddon.

Other console games include Halo 3 and Rock Band 2.

There is also an arcade with popular fighting games, Dance Dance Revolution and more.

WHEN?:
Saturday, April 17th 2010
12:00pm to 9:00pm
Sign-ups for Brawl and Melee start at 12:00pm and go to 1:00pm
Brawl and Melee tournament games begin at 1:00pm

WHERE?:
Santa Barbara City College Campus Center
721 Cliff Drive
Santa Barbara, CA 93109

DIRECTIONS:
If coming FROM the NORTH (SLO, Santa Maria, San Fransisco, Goleta, Santa Ynez) ON the 101-SOUTH, get off at Castillo, turn right onto Castillo. Then you can either turn right at the light onto Montecito Street (which turns into Cliff Drive) to enter parking areas on campus from Cliff drive, or you can continue straight at the light on Castillo to turn right into other parking areas at Pershing Park.

If coming FROM the SOUTH (LA, Ventura, OC, San Diego) ON the 101-NORTH, get off at Bath, turn left at the light onto Haley, turn left at the light onto Castillo, then either turn right at the light onto Montecito Street (which turns into Cliff Drive) to enter parking areas on campus from Cliff drive, or you can continue straight at the light on Castillo to turn right into other parking areas at Pershing Park.

You can also use mapquest or googlemaps-.-

COST?:
Entry is free.
Each tournament is $5.
Food is a reasonable price that is yet to be determined.
Donations are welcome!

MAP:

RULES:

BRAWL:

General rules:
· 3 Stock
· 8 minute timer
· Items are set to "off" and "none"
· All sets with the exception of finals are best of 3 matches. The finals will be best out of 5.
· In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
· No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
· In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
· If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
· Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
· DeDeDe's infinite standing grab is NOT banned.
· If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
· You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
· Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
· Stalling is banned.

Stalling:
The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters double-blind for the first match
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches

Stage Lists

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville

Counter
Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Yoshi's Island
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise

Banned
Distant Planet
Green Greens
Luigi's Mansion
Port Town Aero Dive
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Norfair
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Corneria
Flat Zone 2
Green Hill Zone
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mario Circuit
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Onett
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Skyworld
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

Additional Rules for Doubles Play:
· Life Stealing is allowed
· Set team attack to ON
· Hanenbow may be moved from Ban to Counterpick for Doubles

Other Rules

· Port slob picks: On a player's counterpick, that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.
· Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overttime. Bowser's suicide klaw is exempt from this rule.
· Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.
· Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.
· Pirated copies of Brawl or modded Wii consoles MAY be used for tournament matches if necessary. TO will decide what consoles can be used.
· The Mages DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is 2 minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After 6 minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.
· We will try to set up a gamecube controller ONLY station to prevent Wiimote interference.
· Players are responsible for knowing the rules. No more than the previous match should be replayed in the event of a rule violation and it is recommended that any disputes be brought promptly and quickly to the TO's attention.
· Wireless controllers are discouraged because of interference, unreliability (battery life), and time hindrance; it is not advisable to ban them as many new players use them and banning their control scheme makes it difficult for them to participate.
· Tournament is winner/loser/championship. When a player loses for the first time in, he is sent to the losers bracket. Players in the losers bracket compete until the losers final. The winner of the losers final plays the winner of the winners final. The winner of that game plays the loser of the winners final for the championship.
· The losers final, winners final, and championship are best out of 5. Other matches are best out of 3.
· Drugs and Alcohol are prohibited. Smoking cigarettes is allowed in designated areas on campus.
· SBR Certified

MELEE:

Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:
· Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
· Past Stages: Dream Land
· Special Stages: Final Destination
· Special Stages: Battlefield
· Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
· Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
· Planet Zebes: Brinstar
· Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
· Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:
· Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
· Past Stages: Dream Land
· Special Stages: Final Destination
· Special Stages: Battlefield
· Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
· Planet Zebes: Brinstar
· Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
· Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules
· Items are set to off.
· Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
· Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
· The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
· Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
· Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
· Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
· Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

Additional Rules for Teams Play
· Life Stealing is allowed
· Set team attack to ON

Redwood Counter Pick System
1. Blind Picks character selection.
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Other Rules
· Players are responsible for their own general welfare in regards to the tournament. In other words, players are responsible for:
1. Being familiar with the rule set and stage list
Entrance and venue fees
3. Arriving on time
4. Maintaining personal hygiene
5. Controllers and Character Knowledge
6. Minimizing Johns

· Tournament is winner/loser/championship. When a player loses for the first time in, he is sent to the losers bracket. Players in the losers bracket compete until the losers final. The winner of the losers final plays the winner of the winners final. The winner of that game plays the loser of the winners final for the championship.
· The losers final, winners final, and championship are best out of 5. Other matches are best out of 3.
· Stalling is banned. If there is any dispute of what is considered stalling, the Tournament host will decide.
· The Mages DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is 2 minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After 6 minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.
· Players cannot spend more than 2 minutes deciding on characters, stages, etc.
· Players are allowed bathroom breaks between matches. After you play a match, it is recommended to use the bathroom.
· Rule violations must be reported to the Tournament host.
· Wireless controllers are discouraged because of interference, unreliability (battery life), and time hindrance.
· Drugs and Alcohol are prohibited. Smoking cigarettes is allowed in designated areas on campus.
· The Tournament Host reserves the right at any time to make anyone leave the premises of the tournament.

FOR BRAWL AND MELEE:
· Bringing in a complete set-up (CRT TV, Gaming Console, smash disc, and memory card with all characters/stages/etc) will wave entry fee of $5.
· Bringing in partial set-up may reduce entry fee.
· Please post in this thread if you plan to bring set-ups!

mio

Smash Ace
**** yeah! This is always a super fun event, I'm glad you guys are doing it another year.

However, the tournaments themselves could be run a lot better. Gosu, are you running the brackets this year? I hope so. In the past two years the tournaments were heavily delayed and had a lot of mix-ups for no reason because the organizers and staff members had no idea what they were doing. No more running tournament brackets from an online website PLEASE!

GosuSheep

Smash Journeyman
I will be using Tio-Tournament from my own laptop to run the brackets for melee. Eric or another gameclub member will be doing brawl.

@Dante,

We hope to have doubles! If we only have ~2 teams, it'll be unnecessary. So let's encourage people to do doubles!!

mio

Smash Ace
@Mio,

Let me discuss with them. What's your name? Would any of the gameclub members remember you from past events?
Mio is the name that most people know and call me by. My full name is Emiliano Vazquez, but just refer to me as Mio Vazquez. I got like 5th at the first tourney, 2nd at the 2nd one and caused a ruckus about how disorganized their **** was both years so yeah they should remember me.

mio

Smash Ace
Whenever I go to a smash tournament I always enter all Brawl and Melee events, so count me in for all of them.

I'm gonna approach the staff a bit later because I'm stressing over finals right now, but yeah thanks for backing me up Gosu.

GosuSheep

Smash Journeyman
Mio,

You will not be able to do both. Because we have 4 tournaments, we're going to have Melee and Brawl occur at the same time. You gotta pick one.

mio

Smash Ace
Mio,

You will not be able to do both. Because we have 4 tournaments, we're going to have Melee and Brawl occur at the same time. You gotta pick one.
Ummm... why? So many tournament organizers always try make it seem like they're running Wall Street or something, when in reality it's not that complicated or difficult at all. that has never been a problem at any melee + brawl tournament I have ever been to. Plus, I've entered like every tournament at SB Gamefest the past two years with games running simultaneously and they never made a rule against it. Why would it become an issue now?

If I end up running brackets, then yeah I will probably only enter one or two tournaments so my focus is on the brackets. But I've never been to a tournament that has both melee and brawl that restricts an entrant from entering both. If you run the brackets well, it shouldn't be a problem at all, especially since you have the entire day to run it. The worst that will happen is I'll need to finish my matches in one game before going to my next match, which you easily can get around by calling other matches instead.

Oh yeah, **** single elim, you guy should really change that to 2/3 brackets, 3/5 semis and grand finals

GosuSheep

Smash Journeyman
The last 2 years, we did single elimination (IIRC) and the tournament ended late evening. I will discuss this with the crew and figure out if it's possible to do double elimination.

I didn't mean that you aren't ALLOWED to enter both tournaments. I would just assume that you would want to focus on one. Sure, if you are willing and able to do both, no problem for me. Just know that they do start at the same time.

Also, single elimination to me means that there is no losers bracket. The games are 2/3 and winners final is 3/5, but when you lose, you're out of the tournament. Do we disagree on that definition?

CableCho57

Smash Lord
Hmm I don't know if I can go bc it's my sisters bday that day. Anyhow mio is right, players usually keep track of themselves well and double elimination should be used.

GosuSheep

Smash Journeyman
Ok, but what is double elimination?:

1.) Losers go to losers bracket
or
2.) 2/3 for regulars and 3/5 for finals.

Or do ya'll think both is appropriate? Let me know.

mio

Smash Ace
Okay cool, thanks for clarifying. I'm positive that last year used double elimination for brawl, and again, the reason why they went late into the night the past 2 years is because the people running the brackets had no idea what the **** they were doing. They left matches uncalled for long periods of time (no setups getting put to use) and they ran brackets on an online tournament bracket system (meaning you had to wait for the page to refresh each time you entered a result, making the schedule of the tourney rely on the slowass speed of the internet connection).

2/3 regular and 3/5 for semis and finals is standard, I think everyone would prefer that

GosuSheep

Smash Journeyman
-.-

When you say double elimination, do you mean that when a person loses he goes to losers bracket? Or that the games are 2/3. You confused me when you said

mio said:
Oh yeah, **** single elim, you guy should really change that to 2/3 brackets, 3/5 semis and grand finals
Clarify this and we can discuss 3/5 for semis. The reason I don't want to have 3/5 for semis with MELEE is because we are going to have losers finals, winners finals, championship all 3/5 for singles AND doubles. This is very time consuming. Having semis be 3/5 as well may take too long. Especially if we do that for both doubles and singles.

WarpStatus

Smash Apprentice
Double elimination is a pretty standard definition... All he means is regular matches are 2/3 and if you lose a set in winners, you go to losers. What he meant when he said 3/5 semis is that winners finals losers finals and grand finals are all 3/5. This is the standard for all tournaments brawl and melee.

GosuSheep

Smash Journeyman
Alright. I see no reason why we shouldn't have losers/winners/grand finals for brawl as well. Change made!! Look at the bottom of the "other rules" area in the brawl rules for change.

mio

Smash Ace
Alright. I see no reason why we shouldn't have losers/winners/grand finals for brawl as well. Change made!! Look at the bottom of the "other rules" area in the brawl rules for change.
I think you need to research brackets and tournament rules a little more closely. You can't have double elimination without having winner's/loser's finals, so it's not about putting those matches into the rule set, it's just about whether the format single or double elimination.

And the standard match rule is talking about how many games you have to play (just 1 or a 2/3 set) for each match, it has no effect on the bracket format. What I meant was that the standard rule is to run matches with 2/3 sets until the semifinals (or winner's/loser's finals) and finals, which are played in 3/5 sets.

GosuSheep

Smash Journeyman
My knowledge of previous tournaments has nothing to do with my ruling on brawl. I made that ruling assuming that we would have VERY little time. I was wrong. The change was made.

If lucky plays melee, I'm sabotaging his controller!!!! MUHAHAHA

mio

Smash Ace
My knowledge of previous tournaments has nothing to do with my ruling on brawl. I made that ruling assuming that we would have VERY little time. I was wrong. The change was made.
The fact that you said "we'll put in losers/winners/grand finals for brawl as well" shows that you're not very experienced or knowledgeable about the double elimination format, at least in a smash tournament setting. When you say that it's double elimination (which you don't even mention in any part of your rules), it is known by pretty much everyone that there will be losers/winners/grand finals and you don't need to explain it. If someone at the tournament needs an explanation of how double elimination works, then I guarantee that player is not going to do very well in the tournament anyways. This right here:
Tournament is winner/loser/championship. When a player loses for the first time in, he is sent to the losers bracket. Players in the losers bracket compete until the losers final. The winner of the losers final plays the winner of the winners final. The winner of that game plays the loser of the winners final for the championship.
...this is just a really long-winded way of saying double elimination. Why don't you just say double elimination? Everyone will know what you're talking about and it'll be a lot less confusing. Make it easier on yourself and your entrants: just say whether it's double or single elimination. That's all we need to know.

CableCho57

Smash Lord
Eh I might be able to go from 4 to 10 if it lags and I make it fo singles. And I'm just curious too.

And huy take the 15x. It goes directly from goleta(ft dorms and storke) to the front of sbcc. This bus is specifically for sbcc.

GosuSheep

Smash Journeyman
I can give rides if needed. Especially for the dreaded Huy's peach!!!

I see no reason to ban wobbling.

@Mio,

I know exactly what double elimination is. When you say things like:

mio said:
It implies that you believe 2/3 matches is the equivalent of "double elimination." This is exactly why I am explicit with my details.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
YEAH DOUBLE ELIMINATION, No one would want to travel an hour to get seeded against the guy who wins the tournament and lose one game.

mio

Smash Ace
@Mio,
I know exactly what double elimination is. When you say things like:
It implies that you believe 2/3 matches is the equivalent of "double elimination." This is exactly why I am explicit with my details.
Oh wow, I didn't realize i phrased it like that. my bad. that's fine, as long as you and the other organizers know what you're doing once the brackets start, that's all that matters. sorry for putting you in the hot seat so much, its just that i come to this event every year and it's always been really fun except for the way the brackets are run. once you guys get that straightened out this will be a 100% legit event, probably one of the best annual events in socal next to winter gamefest.

GosuSheep

Smash Journeyman
Well, if Eric (Dantarion) does the brawl brackets, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that it will be to everyone's liking. He is very smart and knows brawl like no one's business.

I'll be doing melee. I know how to do it. It'll be good. Ya'll can help if it's required anyway.

Anyone else gonna play guitar hero? It's been a while since I've done Through the Fire and Flames. It'll be fun to play again.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I can give rides if needed. Especially for the dreaded Huy's peach!!!
Thank you very much, Matthew. :) I will keep in contact with you the day before the tournament to fill you in the details about where to pick me up, drop me off, etc. Actually, do you anticipate on being able to give me a ride back to my dorm after the tournament is over too? ;)

Top Bottom