• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Epita Smash Arena 3 - April 11&12, 2009 - Paris, France - Melee !

Talvi

Smash Journeyman
Just one question to u guys. Are any of you guys going to Genesis this summer? and if so, are you going to enter melee/brawl?(pleaase say melee)
I think a few spanish smashers are interested, but I can't tell if any will go or not.

Also I don't think M2K could take alone the best european smashers. But that's offtopic, so I better STFU

strawhats

Smash Master
Are u sure about that I mean oviously he migh lose mosatch or 2 but in aa set he's godly. Btw i daon't mean crew **** im talking more like friendlies or MM's. And if not KDJ and mango got his back.

Ryuukossei

Smash Cadet
Yes. Ryuker told me he might be able to do that, but we need to know whether it's possible or not. We're discussing with Cycom about that. The good thing is, Epita is a computer science school, so they have a freaking awesome connection. The bad thing is, we're not supposed to use it.
Considering I'm from America, I aprove this idea.

strawhats

Smash Master
Hey Aniolas do you know of any other European players, possibly form France, Netherlands, or Spain that will be going to Genesis. We want this **** to be huge, especially melee. Close to 300 peeps have already signed up for it , so if we can get melee more international attention, it could reach to 500 players by July. This is not including any of the top American players who have yet to pre-register, save for a few greats. ie. Isai, D.B.R., etc.

strawhats

Smash Master
Considering I'm from America, I aprove this idea.
I agree, we peeps in America want a sneek preview of what to expect from the best of the best Europe has to offer. Please do a live stream. If you've read my previous post you'll know why I am excited to see you guys play melee. Go Amsah FTW! The dreadlocks rules the day. :laugh:

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Registrations are up : like last year, you have to register on Cycom's website : http://www.cycom.org/en/
If you already did last year, the login and password are unchanged.
Once you're registered, log in and click on the "register" link in the Smash Arena menu.

Then, for those who'd want to pay, you can do it with paypal by clicking on "confirm registration".

Please note that the entry fee is 30€ this year, and that it doesn't includes food.

Talvi

Smash Journeyman
It says there that paying with paypal is 32€, instead of 30€. Is that some kind of mistake?

porc

Smash Journeyman
not enough hype indeed.
let's try to do like in the smack tournament thread :) :

i wanna plan 5 money matchs :
1€, best of 3, esa rules, anyone !

let's see if it works :)

edit : oh and, are other canadians/americans planning to come? besides from cashmooney , turtlecake and raynex? (btw are you guys sure to come ?)

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
hey porc you rule

i'll take that MM, 2€ bo3 its ok? tourney ruleset ;) ;)

pd: that turtlecake guy isnt coming, believe me

Tero.

Smash Champion
turtlecake is cash mooney.

@porc: I don't do MM but I'd love to play you again :)

porc

Smash Journeyman
peyudosmith : 1€ please, i only bring 5€ for money matches, and i want to do at least 5.
but yeah, i'll be glad :)

tero : sure dude ! usually i dont MM either, but this time i wanna do lots of serious matches, and... well this is a way to do it (besides getting far in the bracket, lol).

Tero.

Smash Champion
More Information please. What about stages? Only paypal?

[...]stuff[...]

strawhats

Smash Master
If anyone cares Ken might be coming to Genesis. Pray for Coatique to beat his crew in Brawl.

Aniolas

Smash Ace
Three weeks untill the tourney, just wanna know about housing.

Me and Armada will arrive in Paris on friday 10 april, 16:25 (CDG) and our flight will depart monday 13 april 15:00 (CDG).

Can someone house us?

Tero.

Smash Champion
Slhoka please post some more updates, there are still many questions left.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
So... I guess I can't wait any longer to post some news. I apologize for this long abstinence absence.
First, let me explain what is going on with this tournament and why I hardly posted any updates.

Do you remember this sentence in the tournament's announcement ?
Slhoka said:
The tournament will be run by SSBUP, the association of French Smash Players, and Cycom, a gaming association of EPITA students. SSBUP will take care of the tournament itself, while Cycom will take care of logistics and pretty much everything besides the tournament itself. This time, SSBUP will be more in touch with Cycom’s work in order to make sure their plans really fit the needs of the Smash community.
Well, the problem is, things didn't really turned that way, as I haven't heard about Cycom in the last... 11 monthes ?
At the beginning, it wasn't that much of a problem since Poilon was telling me what was going on. But then he wasn't told much either, and my emails remained unanswered.
It means I'm unaware about many things regarding this tournament's preparation.
For those of you who wonder why Cycom is hosting this tournament : Epita (the school) allows us to have the venue for free is the tournament is run by a student association from Epita, and Cycom is the association specialized in LANs and gaming events. It means we need them to have the venue.
The problem is that they are in charge of pretty much everything, and that our possibilities for taking decisions are almost inexistant.

Okay, I'm done with the bad aspects (well, not exactly, but I explained most of it). Now, why isn't this tournament doomed ?
I can garantee about 20-25 TVs, and Cycom will buy some, so we should have at least 32 TVs, hopefully more. And this time none of them will lag.
The venue is still as great as last year, and since we'll be less attendants, we'll have more space. Don't ask me if TVs will be placed in a better way than they were last year, because I have no idea, but I'll make my best to make sure they will.
I'm still in charge of the pools and brackets, and if the pools are run smoothly, I'm considering playing a full best of 5 64-man brackets for singles (and a full best of 5 32-team brackets, but only if the tournament is run faster than my schedule).
This time we should have a working projector. And if it were to fail, I'll bring a big poster with a pre-printed brackets, so it will be easier for everyone to follow how the tournament is advancing.

Money issues :
The entry fee is 30€, and doesn't include food.
Among these 30€, 15€ will be used for the cash prize (I don't know how many for singles and how many for doubles).
The other 15€ will be used to buy TVs (at least 10, I think), and the rest will go to Cycom.

Food : Cycom didn't want to include food in the entry fee, so you're on you own about that. They will have a stand where you'll be able to buy food and drinks. I don't know what there will be, or how much it will cost, but anyway, nothing forbids you to buy something outside of the venue or prepare something before you come. *hint hint*

Schedule : I'll post a tentative schedule in few days. It's done but I want some people to tell me what they think about it.

Housing :
To all those who need housing : send me a PM saying who's travelling with you, when you'll arrive and when you'll leave.
Please remember that on Friday, the venue is open so you don't need housing.
Aniolas, Armada, Tero's group, peyudosmith's group, hectortugo's group, you don't need to send me a PM, I already know about you, and I should tell you where to go soon.
Dahean, I think I know for you too, I'll see with you on msn.

Last important thing :
Register on Cycom's website.
First, you need to register on the website (if you did for ESA2, your login and password are unchanged), then click on "register" in the Epita Smash Arena menu.
Registration on this website is mandatory, if you don't do it we won't let you enter the tournament.

Well that's it for now.
The guys from Cycom told Poilon they wanted to make a meeting with me in order to prepare the tournament, so hopefully, I'll be able to update things soon. I've been asking for this meeting for the last 2 monthes, and it was supposed to be last week, but I still have hope.

I'll update the first post anytime soon.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Doesn't sound that great to be honest.
But I'm sure you're going to manage it somehow.

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
well the thing is we may play moar melee in esa than in smack XDD

come on slhoka you will make this great

ah and one thing, if the venue is open on friday night then we only need housing for sunday's ;) ;)

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Right school's finally allowed me to go cause it's easter. I'll be in paris with school from monday to tuesday. So I'll need housing from wednesday to friday and sunday evening. I'm gonna go back on monday. I'd prefer to be housed with faab and co if that's possible ^^.

Should be awesome ^^. Checking train tickets as we speak.
edit: Shouldn't be a problem they go from €75 to €90 or something.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
wow ian you get yourself banned faster then i can reply
That's true, I don't even understand how come they haven't IP banned him or whatever could prevent him to represent 1% of smashboards members :laugh:

Back on topic : I'm (finally !) gonna have a meeting with Cycom tomorrow. I should be able to have updates on many topics.

Edit :

Oh and, by the way :

It looks a hell of a lot better than Smack does, that's for sure.
I actually disagree =/

Slhoka

Smash Lord
y, both suck hard at this point =S
Sad truth =/

Anyway, I forgot something important. I think I didn't stress enough the following paragraphn in my previous post.

You want many TVs at this tournament ? You don't want to wait before you find a TV to play ? You want the tournament to be run quickly, so you have more time to freeplay ?

Then register on Cycom's website.
First, you need to register on the website (if you did for ESA2, your login and password are unchanged), then click on "register" in the Epita Smash Arena menu.
Registration on this website is mandatory, if you don't do it we won't let you enter the tournament.

The number of TVs will have will depend on how many people are registered in the ESA3 attendance list on Cycom's website.

Tell all your friends who are coming to do so as soon as possible. TVs won't be rented/bought one or two days before tournament. So register as early as you can !

****, that post's ugly with red everywhere. It'd better have caught your attention.

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
lol can you check if Daisuki and Ksta are registered there? I told them to do so but idk if they really did

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Poilon and I went to the meeting with Cycom this evening.
To be honest, I was surprised, and in a good way. Cycom seems to have improved a lot their way of hosting LAN and tournaments, and I must say that for the first time since I announced this tournament, I'm pretty confident we can do something good.
I'm way too tired to add updates and everything in this post now, so I'll just post it when I'll wake up tomorrow.

If you don't know what to do while you wait... register on Cycom's website if you didn't. It's absolutely mandatory in order to attend the tournament !

Top Bottom