• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Epita Smash Arena 2 - Paris - 23 & 24 February 2008 - Up to 256 Players !

Slhoka

Smash Lord
OK guys.
Big news.

And by big news, I mean really big news.

Here's a copied/pasted (and translated) discussion I just had with Poilon :

Poilon dit : (16:39:46)
man
緑のSlhoka dit : (16:39:55)
hm ?
Poilon dit : (16:40:03)
I'm coming back from the meeting to know if everything was ok, the last step to be sure of everything.
緑のSlhoka dit : (16:40:23)
and ? Is there a problem ?
Poilon dit : (16:40:25)
and in fact, it's just too good :D
緑のSlhoka dit : (16:40:32)
loool
緑のSlhoka dit : (16:40:34)
緑のSlhoka dit : (16:40:38)
don't frighten me like that
Poilon dit : (16:40:42)
:D
緑のSlhoka dit : (16:40:43)
XD
Poilon dit : (16:40:51)
In fect, the limit is now 300 players
Poilon dit : (16:40:51)
or at least 250
緑のSlhoka dit : (16:40:57)
WTF ARE YOU KIDDING ?
Poilon dit : (16:41:01)
:D:D:
緑のSlhoka dit : (16:41:24)
Poilon dit : (16:41:31)
man, it's crazy
緑のSlhoka dit : (16:41:33)
Is it the truth ?
緑のSlhoka dit : (16:41:37)
no, I mean... seriously
緑のSlhoka dit : (16:41:39)
about the 300 people
Poilon dit : (16:41:41)
yes
Poilon dit : (16:41:42)
I'm serious
緑のSlhoka dit : (16:41:47)
no way !
緑のSlhoka dit : (16:41:49)
XD
Poilon dit : (16:41:52)
:D
緑のSlhoka dit : (16:42:03)
but we'll need more rooms
緑のSlhoka dit : (16:42:08)
did they gave more of them ?
Poilon dit : (16:42:14)
we have the whole second floor

So, let's be clear.... OMG OMG OMG OMG START BOOKING AGAIN !!!!!!

Smasher89

Smash Lord
You are d*mn crazy. You know that? :p
Playing against good players is great for becoming better, and it´ll be nice to see if I win a match or two in those sets, atleast it´s a great warmup and when 4 players advance to the next pool and one loss against someone who will try to 2-0 the whole group is better to take in pools then in bracket hehe...

Great with 300 people, but a quick question, How is the tournament supposed to get finnished in 2 days? XD, 150 teams and a little less then 40 pools in singles (if everyone show up and it´s 8 players per pool)

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
I would prefer 200 to be honest. yeah, less people but more chances to play against anyone n less time to wait to play in a tv.

300 is just huge... hope we're not dining in hell that night ;) ;)

pd: is it confirmed that pools will be formed by groups of 8 btw?

Samochan

Smash Master
60/70 was our expectations for 200 smashers.
Now it's more like 90/100 tvs.
Whoah... O_O

I do hope there are enough toilets there lol, it's gonna be crowded XD

And what about food? Seriously enough food for everyone that pay 40€? ^^

Oh and with 300 people prize money is gonna shoot trough the roof, you're gonna need some tight security measures so what has happened on some american tourney doesn't happen here as well. We don't want any random person walk in and steal our goodies and controllers and whatever.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Whoah... O_O

I do hope there are enough toilets there lol, it's gonna be crowded XD

And what about food? Seriously enough food for everyone that pay 40€? ^^

Oh and with 300 people prize money is gonna shoot trough the roof, you're gonna need some tight security measures so what has happened on some american tourney doesn't happen here as well. We don't want any random person walk in and steal our goodies and controllers and whatever.
Yup, it will the the most important problem we'll have to solve.

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry, trust me, if it's at least as big as last year there won't be any problem ! :p

Samochan

Smash Master
Yup, it will the the most important problem we'll have to solve.
Maybe have some ticket/thingies you give to attenders to hold around their neck/arm that also tells how much they've given you money (since you can't eat or sleep with 30 e there). Also take names up for every smasher attending and collect the money when they arrive to venue and give them the identification. That way you can monitor easier who can eat there, sleep there and see if anyone random goes there (of course we'd need to trust the attenders not to give their pass to anyone else). Tournament hosters and directors could also be easier to find if they have different colored identifications.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Maybe have some ticket/thingies you give to attenders to hold around their neck/arm that also tells how much they've given you money (since you can't eat or sleep with 30 e there). Also take names up for every smasher attending and collect the money when they arrive to venue and give them the identification. That way you can monitor easier who can eat there, sleep there and see if anyone random goes there (of course we'd need to trust the attenders not to give their pass to anyone else). Tournament hosters and directors could also be easier to find if they have different colored identifications.
Uh... actually there's a little misunderstanding. This isn't the problem, since we have a system for that. And also, we'll always have someone at the entrance to check who checks who can come in and who cannot.
The problem is more about smashers taking the stuff from others people. Watching out for the GC and games will be pretty hard if we can't find a efficient way to do this.
And I'll see how much renting a safe costs, at least for the cash prize.

Samochan

Smash Master

The problem is more about smashers taking the stuff from others people. Watching out for the GC and games will be pretty hard if we can't find a efficient way to do this.
And I'll see how much renting a safe costs, at least for the cash prize.
Well you should provide tape and pens for everyone to mark their cubes and controllers. Can't figure out anything else. <_>

And what about when we get there, the people who've payed 40€ get that one extra room for luggages and for sleepies and it's gonna be locked, but what if we need stuff from our bags and everything or clothes if we wanna drop in a store or something? Or how is it organised?

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Well you should provide tape and pens for everyone to mark their cubes and controllers. Can't figure out anything else. <_>

And what about when we get there, the people who've payed 40€ get that one extra room for luggages and for sleepies and it's gonna be locked, but what if we need stuff from our bags and everything or clothes if we wanna drop in a store or something? Or how is it organised?
The have thought to everything you said (and some other things), except for the store, since we didn't have enough people in the staff to do this. Now, we'll probably have about 10 people who don't play smash coming only to be staff. So we may do this ;)

DevMBC

Smash Ace
i'm hoping to book today guys, tomorrow at the latest /nod

can't wait :D:D:D:D

edit:
Ed an GAWes have posted in a uk topic saying they won't be coming but that's before the numbers changed so i'll try an get in touch with them today to see what's happening.

also: I'm hoping to come 20th -> 26th,
anyone else gonna be around those dates? :o

I'm so mad looking forward to this O_O

Slhoka

Smash Lord
How the hell did you get 100 TV's? O_____O
We don't have 100 tvs.
It's only an -ok, exagerate- estimation of what we could get if 300 people decided to come.
For 200 people, we wanted to have about 60 TVs, maybe more. How do we get so much ? We rent them ;)

(Actually, we do not rent all of them : we also have the 10 TVs from SSBUP, and about 15 from the players)

Tilliboi

Smash Cadet
(I actually wanted to write all my posts in French, but I´m far 2 lazy.)
Confirm please!

By the way I need a teammate. Luma why do you always team with Phil? <.< Anyways if someone is interested please tell me. Otherwise I´m going to team with Ravenlord.

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
I want to make sure norwegians and swedes coming to ESA 2 and also coming to GulNer! in Norway can (and should ^^) pay the entry fee to me at that occasion. It will help us renting the TVs and get prepared for the tournament. thank you :)

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Confirm me please.
We'll do it as soon as we'll have made our decision about how many people we accept (probably 256, not sure, though). But for now, you're in the waiting list. Actually, you're sure to attend the tourney, but we don't take any official confimation until our decision, which will arrive soon, don't worry ;)

Calle W

Smash Apprentice
I want to make sure norwegians and swedes coming to ESA 2 and also coming to GulNer! in Norway can (and should ^^) pay the entry fee to me at that occasion. It will help us renting the TVs and get prepared for the tournament. thank you :)
I won't be there, but I could ask someone to bring my money. I wanna do everything I can to make this tournament awesome. ^_^

GothmoG aka CRIP

Smash Rookie
Me and berreh will bring teh cash for you at gulner JD, we promise

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
ok guys, big news ! BIG NEWS !
We found a partner for the tournament and we have the full support of an association in Epita (the school where the tournament will happen). Therefore, we will be able to start online payment for ESA 2 very shortly !
Also, cash prizes are kinda fixed now, check the first post for an update soon ^^.
and last but not least, the limit might still be raised up to 300 people or even 350 LOL.
one word : HUGE.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Edit : duh, JD was faster, once again >_<

One again...
BIG NEWS
We'll have the support of Cycom, an association from the Epita which organizes lan parties. They don't do anything with Smash, so they'll just take care of the budget and the logistic organisation. Everything else (and everything related to smash) will be handled as usual, by SSBUP.

So, what does Cycom arrival brings to this tournament :
- sponsors
- a minimal fixed cash prize :

Single :
1st : 1500 euros
2nd : 800 euros
3rd : 300 euros
4th : 100 euros
5th : 50 euros
7th : 20 euros

Teams :
1st team : 1500 euros (750 euros x 2)
2nd : 800 euros
3rd : 300 euros
4th : 100 euros
5th : 50 euros
7th : 20 euros

- new entry fee conditions, and a way too pay in advance (which will come in a few days)

Entry fee (online, paid in advance) :
20 euros : 1st day, no meal
30 euros : 2 days, no meal, no night at the venue
40 euros : everything

Entry fee (paid at the venue) :
25 euros : 1st day, no meal
35 euros : 2 days, no meal, no night at the venue
45 euros : everything

About how many player we can have... we can garanty that at least 256 people will be able to attend the tourney. The only remaining problem is the time : can we finish singles with 300 people attending in one day ? Yes, if we have enough TVs, and 64 isn't enough acccording to my calculations.
Well, anyway, there still many places available, so go on, book !

Top Bottom