• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Longtime Ridley fans probably went through a lot to get to where they are today. Sure, there are cases like Isaac whose fanbase got the shortest end of the stick... but, well.

We can hope.

And that's what's part of being a Smash newcomer supporter is. A huge rollercoaster of ifs, ands, buts.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
As far as we know, Xenoblade got no new remixes right? It's a little surprising if that's the case, none of the composers hired for Ultimate went for a series known for having great music. Yet they remixed songs from Tomodachi Life and Snipperclips...

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Criminally underrepresented in the playlist just smells extremely fishy to me, yeah.

Strong hints pointing towards a very positive future and I'd love it if it stayed that way until we get our Colonel.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I know this isn't the Rex support thread but that thread is sorta dead and I know a lot of you guys also support Rex so how do you feel about this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_...es_his_chance_as_a/?utm_source=reddit-android

I think that either way a XC newcomer is likely dlc (most likely Elma) what do you guys think?
My problem is Sakurai's comment when presenting said Mii Costume, which really sounded like "we had already planned all the DLC even before Rex was avaiable to us, sp he couldn't make as one. I hope that this costume will be enough for you" and the fact that Xenoblade 2 music is already in the game unlike XCX.

what worries me is that dlc characters are supposed to be hype, so when they get revealed everyone is excited and gladly pays money for them, but elma isnt really very well known, she shuold have been in the base roster imo, because if she gets announced as dlc i swear everyone will react like "who the **** is this?", i'm not trying to be pessimistic about it, im just worried
The thing is that every single newcomer from Ultimate didn't need a stage, woth the sole exception of Inkling and Simon being new series. This five DLC characters all have a stage to accompany them.
Also Elma, while being from a minor series, is very appealing and cool for the general audience. Even here we have seen many supporters coming here saying "I never played Xenoblade but Elma looks cool". Plus with her two guns and two blades moveset, the Skells and the fact that she isn't a sexualized woman (of color BTW) males her very appealing to everybody.
Also other characters that are in the base roster wouldn't work as DLC. Incineroar, for example, is just a flavour of the month monster that nobody would've cared if he was released next year with the imminent Gen 8 games.

Anyway so far we have lost Isaac, Shadow, Skull Kid, Rex and potentially Geno and many other Spirits.
Really, Elma and Bandana Dee got their best shot now.

MeekMeek93

Smash Cadet
Man, does anyone else get real discouraged to go to the Xenoblade subreddit? I love Xenoblade 2, but it seems like no one there wants to acknowledge X. They're all crying over Rex getting a costume. Meanwhile, X so far has nothing... It kind of gets toxic just being there....

Never thought Xenoblade X would be old-school cool. It's like being a classic Fire Emblem fan...

On another note: we hit 94 pages!! So proud of us guys!

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Man, does anyone else get real discouraged to go to the Xenoblade subreddit? I love Xenoblade 2, but it seems like no one there wants to acknowledge X. It kind of gets toxic just being there....

Never thought Xenoblade X would be old-school cool. It's like being a classic Fire Emblem fan...
Classic Fire Emblem is still more respected overall than Modern Fire Emblem on places like Reddit and Serenes Forest though.

MeekMeek93

Smash Cadet
Classic Fire Emblem is still more respected overall than Modern Fire Emblem on places like Reddit and Serenes Forest though.
True... that's because they had a dedicated fanbase that grew with the series. Xenoblade is still very new, and with three entries, the first and third games already are more important than the second...

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I could imagine getting some more music from Xenoblade 2 along with Elma if she is DLC. That way, there would be remixes from all of the games. Also, we know Sakurai hasn't started on these characters yet, however, that doesn't mean that he hasn't gotten music worked on. I think that it's just down to Elma and the stage, if she's in.

But do you guys see her as the first DLC reveal? Personally I could see it going that way, but I really don't know. Having the DLC incorporated into the original project plan is interesting for Elma, for sure.

Yeah, I agree with the feelings toward the Xenoblade subreddit. It sucks, but it also makes me smile a little whenever I see someone mention wanting Elma. We sure have carved out our own little niche, and it's pretty cool.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
My problem is Sakurai's comment when presenting said Mii Costume, which really sounded like "we had already planned all the DLC even before Rex was avaiable to us, sp he couldn't make as one. I hope that this costume will be enough for you" and the fact that Xenoblade 2 music is already in the game unlike XCX.

The thing is that every single newcomer from Ultimate didn't need a stage, woth the sole exception of Inkling and Simon being new series. This five DLC characters all have a stage to accompany them.
Also Elma, while being from a minor series, is very appealing and cool for the general audience. Even here we have seen many supporters coming here saying "I never played Xenoblade but Elma looks cool". Plus with her two guns and two blades moveset, the Skells and the fact that she isn't a sexualized woman (of color BTW) males her very appealing to everybody.
Also other characters that are in the base roster wouldn't work as DLC. Incineroar, for example, is just a flavour of the month monster that nobody would've cared if he was released next year with the imminent Gen 8 games.

Anyway so far we have lost Isaac, Shadow, Skull Kid, Rex and potentially Geno and many other Spirits.
Really, Elma and Bandana Dee got their best shot now.
Looking from the outside as a non-fan though, I wouldn't call Xenoblade a minor series. X still made a pretty nice profit on one of the worst selling Nintendo consoles ever made, which is incredibly noteworthy and impressive to me, and Xenoblade 2 is being touted as Nintendo's most successful move to getting their foot into the door of the JRPG market.

Agree with you on everything else though, things keep looking up and up for her odds for DLC. By far her two biggest rivals are out of the running for now with Rex being a costume and Isaac getting AT'd. For a JRPG rep I could think of no better option than Elma.

Edit: Also, I think you're being a little bit unfair to Incineroar. He has a lot more personality and charm than a generic monster. His poses and wrestling heel gimmick is actually really funny to me.

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
It's a bunch of Rip Rex posts.

I don't see anything hating on Elma or X?
Yeah, it's mainly just saying that they're sad for Rex, none really saying that Elma has a good chance. And I've seen some comments where people say they want Elma over Rex and get downvoted. So that's nice.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I mean, they can like what they want. In the end it doesn't really affect us.

Don't let the hate get to you. People are in denial, are vehement in what they want in the game, and will be vocal about it. Some choose the wrong way to react to other characters...

But not everyone who likes Rex hates Elma.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I can imagine Rex having a shot if there's a second season of DLC somewhere down the line (if not, he'll most likely be in a future entry), which is why I wouldn't count him out. I mean, Sakurai works in mysterious ways. However, I'm very content that the XC2 got as much content as it did, considering the development cycle.

Also, I think Nonno summarized the appeal to Elma fairly well. She's a caring, humble, courageous leader and a strong independent person that saved humanity from total annihilation. She's also a dual-wielding gun/sword user that pilots a giant flying robot that turns into a ground vehicle. Moreover, she's actually a robot and an alien simultaneously and the deuteragonist of her game. If I knew nothing about her, I'd still main her because she's cool as heck, and there's nothing like her in Smash so far. There's too much to like. I'm also glad that he mentioned that Elma's a woman of color (a form she chose, to boot) because I can only think of like... 4 more from Nintendo games, and they have way less of a chance than Elma. Women in general have gotten the short end of the stick in Smash (4 started correcting this), but women of color have no stick at all, as far as reps go. Not even palette swaps. There's nothing wrong with a little diversity, and it justifiably appeals to some people (myself included). It isn't the only reason to want her in, but the point is that she's plain ol' fascinating for a ton of reasons, even if you're unfamiliar with the game she comes from. In short, her reception will be positive overall. Of course there'll be the "But my character!" complainers here and there, but that is the way of the world.

Anyway, I hope if she's added as DLC, she'll get revealed early, just so I can play her lol. However, I'm thinking she might be revealed last like Shulk, just because... or at least close to last.

Last edited:

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
I think it's natural for them to be dissapointed over Rex. Only thing I notice is how no one bats an eye to no X music within the Xenoblade section. But here's what someone said over at another site said regarding no X music, which is certainly interesting:
They showed that Xenoblade has 11 songs, if we count what we had in the Sound Test.

EDIT: This ones are from Smash 4. They all might appear, but the latest Direct doesn't use this format, as it has the Medley on Number 5. The ones that DO NOT appear on the Direct have this symbol on them (*)

1.- Xenoblade Chronicles Medley
2.- Engage The Enemy*
3.- Gaur Plains
4.- Gaur Plains (Night)
5.- Time to Fight!*
6.- An Obstacle In Our Path - Xenoblade Chron(icles, I will assume it says)
7.- Mechanical Rhythm
8.- You Will Know Our Names.

When Mii Rex comes up, they show

9.- Battle!! Xenoblade Chronicles 2
10.- Those Who Stand Against Our Path - Xenob(lade Chronicles 2, I will assume it says)
11.- Still, Move Forward!

So, no.
The "so, no" part is in response to a question that asked if it was possible that X music is just hidden within the base game and needs to be unlocked.

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Man, does anyone else get real discouraged to go to the Xenoblade subreddit? I love Xenoblade 2, but it seems like no one there wants to acknowledge X. They're all crying over Rex getting a costume. Meanwhile, X so far has nothing... It kind of gets toxic just being there....

On another note: we hit 94 pages!! So proud of us guys!
Oh man it is so bad right now, i usually like this subreddit but man...the Shante-Subreddit didnt took her "cameo" to well either...and don't even get me started about the comments under some of the Threehouse-Videos...

Anyway yay 94 pages. Keep the support up guys.

I mean, they can like what they want. In the end it doesn't really affect us.

Don't let the hate get to you. People are in denial, are vehement in what they want in the game, and will be vocal about it. Some choose the wrong way to react to other characters...

But not everyone who likes Rex hates Elma.
Agreed.

D

Deleted member

Just for the stuff about the XC reddit- it's probably simply because more people knew who Rex is rather then Elma considering how many new fans XC2 brought in,me being one of them. Now how many of them went back and played the other two Xenoblade games and realIZED THAT XCX IS ACTUALLY REALLY GOOD AND YOU GUYS ARE JUST MEAN AND BLACK TAR IS A GOOD BATTLE THEME, idk.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Oh man it is so bad right now, i usually like this subreddit but man...the Shante-Subreddit didnt took her "cameo" to well either...and don't even get me started about the comments under some of the Threehouse-Videos...

Anyway yay 94 pages. Keep the support up guys.

Agreed.
You should have seen the Isaac thread. JESUS christ.

A lot of character fan groups are really down in the dumps right now. Let's hope we can all lick our wounds and get back to supporting our characters!

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Looking from the outside as a non-fan though, I wouldn't call Xenoblade a minor series. X still made a pretty nice profit on one of the worst selling Nintendo consoles ever made, which is incredibly noteworthy and impressive to me, and Xenoblade 2 is being touted as Nintendo's most successful move to getting their foot into the door of the JRPG market.

Agree with you on everything else though, things keep looking up and up for her odds for DLC. By far her two biggest rivals are out of the running for now with Rex being a costume and Isaac getting AT'd. For a JRPG rep I could think of no better option than Elma.

Edit: Also, I think you're being a little bit unfair to Incineroar. He has a lot more personality and charm than a generic monster. His poses and wrestling heel gimmick is actually really funny to me.
I think you are right about Xenoblade not being that minor of a series.

Oh and I didn't want to put down Incineroar. But he didn't got that much traction not even with the leaks and once Gen VIII is shown people will soon forget about Sun and Moon.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I love them as a fighter (though if there was a wrestling fighter I was hoping to get Travis Touchdown who's also one of my top 10 picks).

As a pokemon they represent most of what I hate in the series:
  • Moving away from animals/monsters towards anthro-pokemon (used to only be humanoid if you were psychic or fighting)
  • Fire favouritism (Fire seems to be the most popular starting type most of the time, so GF seems to feed into that by putting more effort into them which creates a loop)
  • Ties into the first point but; Randomly going from animal to human
  • The fact that pokemon in Smash continue to be misrepresentative of the series by, again, being almost all humanoids
  • The fact that a mediocre pokemon from the latest game made it in instead of a great or iconic pokemon from earlier, unrepresented generations, or a more unique pokemon using the new things that came with this generation
I love what I see of their moveset, and all of the above are obviously very subjective, personal opinions. I just can't shake it though. I dislike the pokemon itself.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I mean, now that the initial excitement/disappointment has settled, let's just go over the arguments in favour of Elma once more, and see what has changed about these points.
  1. Project Plan
    The argument still holds up, especially if the DLC characters being decided along with the rest of the cast was not a misunderstanding.
  2. Robot Figure
    Arguably became an even stronger argument, since we have seen literally nothing that this could have been used as a basis for.
  3. Hiroyuki Sawano's Secret Project
    Nothing has changed.
  4. Caitlin Glass' Vagueness
    Nothing has changed.
  5. Bill Trinen's slip-up
    Nothing has changed.
  6. Lack of new Xenoblade content
    Has become even more of a strong argument, since literally the only thing we saw from X was a Skell spirit, and nothing else. Like, not even an actual character.
  7. Elma in Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    Arguably even more of an argument now, because. . . well, if not, what was that all about?
I think I might update the pictures for the arguments to accomodate the new situation. The first image in particular is bit outdated now, since the Grinch leak is officially dead now.

Also, I think you're being a little bit unfair to Incineroar. He has a lot more personality and charm than a generic monster. His poses and wrestling heel gimmick is actually really funny to me.
I'm fine with the moveset and general look of the character, but in regards to Incineroar in the Pokémon games themselves, I'm still not too fond of it. I just had really high hopes for the Litten line, especially after the reveal of Torracat - and then they went for a Fire/Fighting aesthetic, instead of having fire starter that stays a quadruped just this once.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I think it's natural for them to be dissapointed over Rex. Only thing I notice is how no one bats an eye to no X music within the Xenoblade section. But here's what someone said over at another site said regarding no X music, which is certainly interesting:

The "so, no" part is in response to a question that asked if it was possible that X music is just hidden within the base game and needs to be unlocked.
I love how Cruchii seemed to be right all along with “Those Who Stand in Our Path” actual in the game.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
I've never seen much Xenoblade X hate on the subreddit, it's just that people talk more about Xenoblade 2 because 1: more people played it, and 2: it's the most recent game.
I went there a few times before the announcement of 2 and it seemed pretty dead, with the only posts being the occasional fanart.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Goddamn Sakurai just gimme new Xenoblade fighters idec who it is

Throw in ****ing Lao or Tora at this point i dont give a damn

KatKit

Smash Lord
Goddamn Sakurai just gimme new Xenoblade fighters idec who it is

Throw in ****ing Lao or Tora at this point i dont give a damn
Sakurai: As you wish.

Trailer starts with two mysterious Xenoblade characters walking to a table. Camera pans out, it's Elma and Lin. They have a distinctive unfriendly look on their face: hunger. Lin's stomach growls. She's ready to cook, but she's waiting for someone. There's a note left on the table, it reads, "Don't wait for me, ladies. I'm off to settle it in Smash." Music starts playing. Cue theme and gameplay footage:

Sakurai: That's right, Tatsu joins the fight. He's the highly requested Xenoblade rep.

Last edited:

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Welp,

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...ltimate-nintendo-direct-unleashes-new-details

"Early Purchase Bonus: Piranha Plant takes root! The iconic enemy from the Super Mario series is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for early purchasers. Players can purchase the digital version of the game or register their physical game card on a Nintendo Switch device by Jan. 31, 2019, to gain access to this new fighter when it is available around February 2019 at no additional cost. Piranha Plant, together with a new stage and music tracks, will be available for purchase as DLC in the future. Fans can pre-purchase the game and secure the Piranha Plant reward starting today by visiting http://smashbros.nintendo.com/buy/."
"Piranha Plant will also be available as paid DLC (separate from Fighters Pass content) at a later time. "

There goes the theory that "DLC from existing franchises can't add more music to the game".

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
As far as we know, Xenoblade got no new remixes right? It's a little surprising if that's the case, none of the composers hired for Ultimate went for a series known for having great music. Yet they remixed songs from Tomodachi Life and Snipperclips...
that then brings up the question of what the hell sawano's secret project was? I suppose it could be for DLC, anyone know when the recording session took place? would it even be in time for the base game?

D

Deleted member

Trailer starts with two mysterious Xenoblade characters walking to a table. Camera pans out, it's Elma and Lin. They have a distinctive unfriendly look on their face: hunger. Lin's stomach growls. She's ready to cook, but she's waiting for someone. There's a note left on the table, it reads, "Don't wait for me, ladies. I'm off to settle it in Smash." Music starts playing. Cue theme and gameplay footage:

Sakurai: That's right, Tatsu joins the fight. He's the highly requested Xenoblade rep.
Smash is canceled

aarchak

Smash Ace

Why can't we get Tora as an echo fighter of him at least

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I'm probably in the minority here, but I feel like Tatsu is way overhated. At least he doesn't have this aggressively gross human/maid fetish that even becomes a part of the story and gameplay multiple times.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
I can’t believe that Elma survived the massacre yesterday. Neither an assist trophy nor a spirit (which probably doesn’t deconfirm characters, but still). Really hoping for her inclusion, and I think she has a chance. If they couldn’t do Rex, maybe they decided to go with Elma!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Honestly, if DLC was decided around the same time as the base game newcomers, I see Elma having a very decent shot.

The exclusion of XCX music content period makes me suspicious.

Either Elma is planned, or worse case scenario, Sakurai has bias against XCX and wants no content from it in Smash.

Even after the disconfirmation massacre, somehow, Elma stands a real chance to me.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
If you ask me, Elma's chances as DLC just shot up...
Rex and Pyra are confirmed to be not happening
The notable lack of X music...

Something's up with her...

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
so was there any discovery of an Elma spirit or something from XCX?
i noticed how the direct was very sidestep-y on XCX even went out of their way to informatively shut down on people expecting playable XC2 content.
but i shouldn't be thinking like that after how things ended for the likes of Shadow, Skull Kid, and, unfortunately, Black Knight.
(and just give me a Medusa boss at this point, i don't care)

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I think she might be in, XBC2 is shot out of the water now it seems.

Though no one has said we were getting only one season of DLC

Last edited:
Top Bottom