• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
She occasionally namedrops Lin in battle, saying something like "This is how I protect Lin!".
Lao is namedropped when she activates her Keen Eye Field Skill for anything, something about being as great of a sniper as Lao is.
Doug is also mentioned in battle, although I've only heard it once or twice, and didn't really catch it either time. Something about. . . well, "something that Doug also has problems with".
L might've been her affinity chart, but I'm not sure. At any rate, it's something about his weird "phrases".
Personally, I'm hoping that she also mentions Irina and Gwin somewhere.
I think she also says how Commander Vandham would love the Pipestraw Smoothie (One of her Favorite items) “considering the health freak he is.”

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I think she also says how Commander Vandham would love the Pipestraw Smoothie (One of her Favorite items) “considering the health freak he is.”
Just checked it, and yeah, she does! For her other favourite pouch item, the Codweave Safety Blanky, she also mentions Lin again, saying how she's going to bring to along for her, since she thinks she'd like it.

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
So September general direct. Opens on elma in smash trailer, segues in xeno blade x port info, other stuff. Ends on incernerour trailer

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm of the mind that Xenoblade Chronicles X (along with Super Mario 3D Land) will be remade to hold over gaps in the Switch's release schedule. Though I think they'll wait until XC2 has finished adding extra content.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I'm of the mind that Xenoblade Chronicles X (along with Super Mario 3D Land) will be remade to hold over gaps in the Switch's release schedule. Though I think they'll wait until XC2 has finished adding extra content.
Seems like a good plan. Wouldn’t want The Golden Country to be passed over for a potential XCX remake. Question, though: do you think Monolith Soft’s development of Xenoblade 2 would help the characters be more expressive and have more refined models in an XCX remake?

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
I'm kinda sad they didn't announce an X port with the Elma update but ehh, maybe during that September direct (that's a thing, right? Not just a rumor?)
I haven't gotten around to playing XB2 for a while so I'm really excited to get Crossette and Corvin.
I also made some art with some of my favorite characters right now and you bet Elma's one of them.

The rest are (left to right):
- Enkidu (Under Night In-Birth)
- Labrys (Persona)
- Matthew (Golden Sun)
- Ramlethal Valentine (Guilty Gear)
- 9S (NieR: Automata), background

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
I randomly decided to lurk a bit on the XBC2 board on GameFAQs, saw this poll thread on favourite DLC Blades, and figured that I might as well share it because of its vindicating results.
I don't know if it's recency bias, the incredible challenge it takes to unlock her, or a genuine like of her character and kit in XC2, but either way I'm happy. I've had a blast, I'm really struggling with Elma: Redux but I've done a few challenge missions with her. She's really cool to use, Overdrive is worked in well, each of her special attacks and arts feel unique and interesting. Only gets me more hype for a potential Smash appearance.

Also I've mostly had her partnered with Morag, in my head I imagine them getting on like kindred spirits.

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
welp this is officially my favorite video on YouTube ever
WHEN ELMA T POSED TO ASSERT HER DOMINANCE THOUGH :awesome:
Maybe a little off topic, but I'm very excited by the potential memes that Elma in Smash can generate. There are definitely some great ideas there. Also, an official Elma amiibo will look great in my collection.

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
So there's been a leak that says Elma's in. Of course there's a 0.001% chance of it being real, and with real leaks typically not being as verbose as this I especially doubt it. Still though, just looking at it as "would this be cool if it was real?" I like it, Dr. Luigi is almost believably absurd.

elmaleak.png

aarchak

Smash Ace
I don't understand why people keep pegging Black Knight as Ike's echo, let there be other FE characters in his place. Other than that, wow, that is one of the most bland leaks I've ever seen, just bandwagon characters plus a popular unlikely to close things out.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What would a Professor Layton AT do? I’ve never played the games so idk

Also, you literally can’t have Sora without Disney representation, and Disney is VERY stingy about their characters being portrayed as fighting each other

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So there's been a leak that says Elma's in. Of course there's a 0.001% chance of it being real, and with real leaks typically not being as verbose as this I especially doubt it. Still though, just looking at it as "would this be cool if it was real?" I like it, Dr. Luigi is almost believably absurd.

View attachment 160069
Yeah, that one seems fishy...

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard

View attachment 160069
I saw that one too, we'll wait and see if Verg says anything about it. In any case, I love rumors, even obviously fake ones; they have a way of getting discussions started. This one is one of the more interesting ones, if nothing else. All the rumors lately have been way too samey. Elma is the most important part, obviously, but yes Dr. Luigi would be great and I can't tell you how much I'd rather have Tails as a Sonic echo than Shadow.

Well, if Tapu-Koko is the next character revealed, I'll be here promptly to lose my sh*t.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!

View attachment 160069
Riku plays nothing like Sora. The closest to Sora's style is Roxas.

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030
Riku plays nothing like Sora. The closest to Sora's style is Roxas.
Not saying I believe the leak(but it would be funny to say Toenail on GameFAQs is right) but that really isn't stopping them honestly. Dark Samus makes little sense as a clone of Samus, Ken makes little sense as a clone of Ryu, Chrom of Roy and so on. I don't think they care about accuracy when it comes to clones.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

View attachment 160069
Sadly Vergeben has said that he isn't associated with this leak
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76941132?jumpto=13#13

Not that I'm surprised, the big red flag was the Decidueye Mii Costume. For one it wouldn't work for the Gunner since Decidueye uses arrows and not explosives, and second The Pokémon Company never allowed Mii Costumes so far (not in Smash For, not in Miitomo, not in Street Pass Plaza...), and Decidueye is a very random choice.

Anyway I'm starting to see Elma in more leaks, proving that more people feel that she is likely.

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
Sadly Vergeben has said that he isn't associated with this leak
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76941132?jumpto=13#13

Not that I'm surprised, the big red flag was the Decidueye Mii Costume. For one it wouldn't work for the Gunner since Decidueye uses arrows and not explosives, and second The Pokémon Company never allowed Mii Costumes so far (not in Smash For, not in Miitomo, not in Street Pass Plaza...), and Decidueye is a very random choice.

Anyway I'm starting to see Elma in more leaks, proving that more people feel that she is likely.
Being not associated doesn't mean it's faked, the supposed leaker said he has the same sources as Vergeben but they haven't talk personnaly between both of them. Dr luigi is very sakurai for a chosen character so I think people jump to conclusion too quickly just because their characters wouldn't be in the game (rayman, geno, shadow for example). When I saw "geno is locked" "shadow is locked" "because of the ballot", sakurai just look at the ballot for some characters it doesn't mean everything will come from the ballot and I think a lot of tear will be drop in the next direct when things that they thought "are locked" are not.

And people seem to forgot this time third party take the command on who will be in and who will be not , what square enix will do with Geno? Nothing and if they think "to please the fans" it's time to wake up this is just business + advertising for their characters for some third party in this game, so Sora seems to get his chance with the president of disney saying "he is eligible for smash". That's why I keep an eye on this rumor.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Being not associated doesn't mean it's faked, the supposed leaker said he has the same sources as Vergeben but they haven't talk personnaly between both of them. Dr luigi is very sakurai for a chosen character so I think people jump to conclusion too quickly just because their characters wouldn't be in the game (rayman, geno, shadow for example). When I saw "geno is locked" "shadow is locked" "because of the ballot", sakurai just look at the ballot for some characters it doesn't mean everything will come from the ballot and I think a lot of tear will be drop in the next direct when things that they thought "are locked" are not.

And people seem to forgot this time third party take the command on who will be in and who will be not , what square enix will do with Geno? Nothing and if they think "to please the fans" it's time to wake up this is just business + advertising for their characters for some third party in this game, so Sora seems to get his chance with the president of disney saying "he is eligible for smash". That's why I keep an eye on this rumor.
Oh I would LOVE this leak to be true. Elma is a must, but I also prefer Tapu Koko to Inceneroar by a mile, and Dr. Luigi would be very interesting for me since I am a Dr. Mario main. Also Tails is probably the only Sonic character I like that has a chance of being in Smash.

But IDK if I belive in this. Vergeben did stated that the sources who spilled the bean about the Gen VII Pokémon mentioned Inceneroar rather than Tapu Koko, and the two leakers have yet to contact themself for clarify on this.

Last edited:

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
So I've been playing XC2 and completed Elma's affinity chart. As part of one of the field skill challenges, there is an interesting moment where Elma questions the reason they have all been brought together (being Elma, Shulk and Rex (and KOS-MOS for that matter)) - I can't remember the exact wording used, but I couldn't help but read into it as a hint - since Rex, Elma and Shulk are together here, maybe they are together in Smash?

Probably just me reading into things, but it gave me a good vibe.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
So I've been playing XC2 and completed Elma's affinity chart. As part of one of the field skill challenges, there is an interesting moment where Elma questions the reason they have all been brought together (being Elma, Shulk and Rex (and KOS-MOS for that matter)) - I can't remember the exact wording used, but I couldn't help but read into it as a hint - since Rex, Elma and Shulk are together here, maybe they are together in Smash?

Probably just me reading into things, but it gave me a good vibe.
Certainly not right away. I still believe Rex & Pyra were too soon for the base game, especially with the heavy ballot focus this one has. Besides, the chances of one franchise getting two unique newcomers at once with so few spots is extremely small in my opinion.

Though maybe we'll get this realized with DLC. I'm certainly not opposed to Xenoblade getting so much love.

Royaru

Smash Cadet
Um... Since Melee, every game has three new franchise, two of them are "normal" and the other one is obscure. Since brawl, every game has two new third party franchise in the base roster.
Melee : Ice Climber, Fire emblem and Game&Watch
Brawl : Wario, Kid Icarus and ROB, for the thirds party were Sonic and MGS
Smash4 : Punch-Out!!, Xenoblade and Duck Hunt, for the thirds partys were Pacman and Megaman

In Ultimate, we have one new franchise for first and third party... So at least, there will be two new franchise for first and one for thirds. In the other hand, in brawl and 4 there were at least one newcomer for the one franchise that were introduce in the previous game, in Brawl we had Ike and in Smash4 we had Palutena...

So... My bets for the final roster are : Isaac (GS), Elma (Xenoblade), Lip (Panel de Pon) and Lloyd Irving (To), at least this four, but Skull Kid is too Likely.
I wrote this in newcomer general speculation but I think is an argument for Elma too. Moreover i dont see a new rep from Punch-out because it not important now.

About the new leak, dunno too much thirds party things, I would love to see Tapu Koko or Elma obviously, but i don believe this leak.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I wrote this in newcomer general speculation but I think is an argument for Elma too. Moreover i dont see a new rep from Punch-out because it not important now.

About the new leak, dunno too much thirds party things, I would love to see Tapu Koko or Elma obviously, but i don believe this leak.
I like the idea but it honestly feels like looking for patterns where the are none

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Aside from Banjo, Elma is my most wanted newcomer that actually has a chance. In fact, my desire to see Elma included is tenfold because it means we will undoubtably get XBCX content which is a must! An absolute must! Music, a stage, Assist, collectible trophies, and more.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Guys, help, I have too many pictures of Elma in my phone. I'm going to have to drop a few of them off here.

IMG_20180827_082453.jpg

IMG_20180825_141452.jpg

IMG_20180825_141509.png

IMG_20180825_141504.jpg

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Maybe this was brought up before - in fact I’m sure of it - but what victory fanfare do you want Elma to get it she doesn’t get the usual Xenoblade one.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Making my first post in almost four years to ask if I can be added to the supporters list, and I haven't even played X. XC2 however is my most played game of all time, and over the past few days I've been convinced that she'd be a cooler fighter than Rex/Pyra. I think that's just the unobjectionable truth.

As a firm believer that we've seen all the stages (Sakurai's "exactly 100 + these three others" terminology, the stage with like half a dozen stage bosses on it making sense as the final one, etc.), I think Gaur Plain can still fit Elma. Again, I haven't played X, but I don't think there's really anything about Gaur Plain that restricts its vibe to just Shulk and XC1. There's even a towering mechanical god in the background which I assume has to synergize well with Elma to some extent. (I can also imagine the X battle themes playing here.)

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
Making my first post in almost four years to ask if I can be added to the supporters list, and I haven't even played X. XC2 however is my most played game of all time, and over the past few days I've been convinced that she'd be a cooler fighter than Rex/Pyra. I think that's just the unobjectionable truth.

As a firm believer that we've seen all the stages (Sakurai's "exactly 100 + these three others" terminology, the stage with like half a dozen stage bosses on it making sense as the final one, etc.), I think Gaur Plain can still fit Elma. Again, I haven't played X, but I don't think there's really anything about Gaur Plain that restricts its vibe to just Shulk and XC1. There's even a towering mechanical god in the background which I assume has to synergize well with Elma to some extent. (I can also imagine the X battle themes playing here.)
I agree if we don't get an X stage, Guar Plains would fit Elma, but there were plenty of people who believed we'd get no more characters when Sakurai used the "Everyone is here" and a total of "65 characters" terminology.

Makes me think there are more stages.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Maybe this was brought up before - in fact I’m sure of it - but what victory fanfare do you want Elma to get it she doesn’t get the usual Xenoblade one.
I would want 'Don't Worry (Instrumental)' to play for her victory fanfare, but the twist is, make it like Cloud's victory theme so that it continues on even after announcing Elma the winner. Also by holding A after you've just won the game, it switches from Instrumental to vocal so you can sign your victory.

Announcer: "Elma Wins" (hope they change it back how it was in Smash 4)

*victory fanfare plays you, bobbing your head to Don't Worry while announcer speaks*

Friend/Rival: Alright good game, but you realize your song is about 4 second lon-and it's still playing, why is it still playing? And why am I bobbing my head to the beat? Why do I fell like I want to dance no matter how bad I' am?

*You turn up the volume head bobbing, dancing, and singing intensifies*

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So here's a bit of an oddity that I've noticed: Nobody in the playable cast of XBC2 has any voice clips that acknowledge Elma in any fashion. She does have some unique post-battle dialogue, but that's all her responding to lines that were already there to begin with, with no real interaction taking place. Additionally, even her introductory cutscene only really had her talking. Anyone got any ideas what that could mean?

Personally, I feel that this is a good approximation of something that could work.

I don't know, this doesn't really feel like that strong of a basis for seeing a pattern to me. One pattern that I noticed might be coming back from the pre-release Smash 4 period, though, is the pattern in which the characters (barring the initial Smash 4 reveal at E3) are announced. What I mean is, announcements for characters from a previously unrepresented series, and a newcomer for a series that is already represented in Smash seem to be taking turns. To recount:
Rosalina & Luma (Mario newcomer)
Little Mac (Entirely new series)
Greninja (Pokémon newcomer)
Mii Fighter (Entirely new series, very technically speaking)
Palutena (Kid Icarus newcomer)
Pac-Man (Entirely new series)
Robin and Lucina (Fire Emblem newcomer)
Shulk (Entirely new series)
Bowser Jr. (Mario newcomer)
Duck Hunt (Entirely new series)

And similarly, if you discount Echo Fighters, the same pattern applies to Ultimate so far:
Inkling (Entirely new series)
Ridley (Metroid newcomer)
Simon (Entirely new series)
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong newcomer)

. . .So if this holds any water, the next new character to be revealed is probably someone from a series that has no playable fighters yet.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
It means she was added into XC2 late into development after the initial voice samples. They probably didn't want to bring everyone back in for one character. It's not too uncommon with DLC characters. I doubt it means anything in relation to her possible inclusion in smash.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I would want 'Don't Worry (Instrumental)' to play for her victory fanfare, but the twist is, make it like Cloud's victory theme so that it continues on even after announcing Elma the winner. Also by holding A after you've just won the game, it switches from Instrumental to vocal so you can sign your victory.

Announcer: "Elma Wins" (hope they change it back how it was in Smash 4)

*victory fanfare plays you, bobbing your head to Don't Worry while announcer speaks*

Friend/Rival: Alright good game, but you realize your song is about 4 second lon-and it's still playing, why is it still playing? And why am I bobbing my head to the beat? Why do I fell like I want to dance no matter how bad I' am?

*You turn up the volume head bobbing, dancing, and singing intensifies*
Or, for the authentic Xenoblade X experience, have Elma's final smash just be her skell walking along the stage but jumping occasionally and "Don't Worry" starts playing every time.

Top Bottom