• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't know, this doesn't really feel like that strong of a basis for seeing a pattern to me. One pattern that I noticed might be coming back from the pre-release Smash 4 period, though, is the pattern in which the characters (barring the initial Smash 4 reveal at E3) are announced. What I mean is, announcements for characters from a previously unrepresented series, and a newcomer for a series that is already represented in Smash seem to be taking turns. To recount:
Rosalina & Luma (Mario newcomer)
Little Mac (Entirely new series)
Greninja (Pokémon newcomer)
Mii Fighter (Entirely new series, very technically speaking)
Palutena (Kid Icarus newcomer)
Pac-Man (Entirely new series)
Robin and Lucina (Fire Emblem newcomer)
Shulk (Entirely new series)
Bowser Jr. (Mario newcomer)
Duck Hunt (Entirely new series)

And similarly, if you discount Echo Fighters, the same pattern applies to Ultimate so far:
Inkling (Entirely new series)
Ridley (Metroid newcomer)
Simon (Entirely new series)
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong newcomer)

. . .So if this holds any water, the next new character to be revealed is probably someone from a series that has no playable fighters yet.
I feel like either Isaac from Golden Sun, or somebody from Rhythm Heaven, could fit that bill, not counting new third party franchises. I also kinda feel Kirby, one of the O12 franchises, is due for a new rep too (likely Bandana Waddle Dee).

That said, something in the smash ultimate discussion thread resonated with me, there wasn't that many franchises to draw from for the base roster of Ultimate, so they held the ballot to help fill some blanks in. Even so, since X was around in Japan at that time, I'd be very surprised if Elma wasn't in.

D

Deleted member

I doubted Elma at first, but "recent" info makes me think she might be getting in.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
So I don't know anything about Xenoblade really but I like her design. I don't know if it "fits" canonically, but how would you guys feel if she shared Shulk's "Monado Arts" gimmick but otherwise had a different moveset? Like being able to apply those stat buffs, but for a ranged fighter instead of a sword fighter? I could see that being a possibility, and something that could tie the Xenoblade characters together since its such a unique tool among the cast.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So I don't know anything about Xenoblade really but I like her design. I don't know if it "fits" canonically, but how would you guys feel if she shared Shulk's "Monado Arts" gimmick but otherwise had a different moveset? Like being able to apply those stat buffs, but for a ranged fighter instead of a sword fighter? I could see that being a possibility, and something that could tie the Xenoblade characters together since its such a unique tool among the cast.
It doesn't really make sense for elma at all, she doesn't have anything like that in-game

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Did Shulk work that way in the original Xenoblade?
The way shulk's monado arts work in smash aren't completely accurate to canon, for example monado buster was just a really powerful attack in xenoblade rather than something that changed his damage output like in smash, and monado jump and smash didn't exist obviously. But the idea of modifying your stats through monado arts was still present with monado speed and armour. There's a lot of creative liberty taken with shulk in smash but it can still be justified. Giving Elma the same mechanic doesn't really represent anything she does in canon, plus that would take away from what makes shulk so unique anyway.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Did Shulk work that way in the original Xenoblade?
Not really. The Monado in the original Xenoblade gave Shulk access to several status buffs and attacks with unique properties, but no stance system like Smash does. Two of his Monado Arts, Jump and Smash are entirely made up, while Buster is named incorrectly, since it should, going by its colour and effect, be called Enchant. The concept being applied to Shulk however does at least somewhat work, since the Monado does have a great variety of abilities, some of which are in 1, and not even used by him, and some that are introduced in 2.
Elma on the other hand doesn't really have anything in the way of special or unique weapons. The only modes that she could switch into or apply to herself would be switching between her dual blades and dual guns, a difference between regular singular hits at decent strength, or many, many hits that hit fast and weakly. The other thing would be Overdrive, which could only really work as a power-up move of sorts.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
I feel like either Isaac from Golden Sun, or somebody from Rhythm Heaven, could fit that bill, not counting new third party franchises. I also kinda feel Kirby, one of the O12 franchises, is due for a new rep too (likely Bandana Waddle Dee).

That said, something in the smash ultimate discussion thread resonated with me, there wasn't that many franchises to draw from for the base roster of Ultimate, so they held the ballot to help fill some blanks in. Even so, since X was around in Japan at that time, I'd be very surprised if Elma wasn't in.
just give me Isaac, Elma and Dixie already, I can't wait anymore :(

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
XCX did have auras....but they weren't as prominent as in XC. Custom8zation was a bigger focus and one of the major differences was being able to switch weapons on the fly depending on your class.

Elma was the Full Metal Jaguar class which gave her dual swords and dual guns. And along with her weapons her arts were determined by her class, with the exception of Shadow Strike and Ghost Factory which were her signature arts which only her and Cross/Rook could use.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
So there's been a leak that says Elma's in. Of course there's a 0.001% chance of it being real, and with real leaks typically not being as verbose as this I especially doubt it. Still though, just looking at it as "would this be cool if it was real?" I like it, Dr. Luigi is almost believably absurd.

View attachment 160069
Take it from me, from somebody who been following most of his and loz18's rumors since the imgur riddle rumor happened.
do NOT pick up any leak claiming they're friends with a popular leaker/rumor-er!
this has happened multiple times along with many forged leaks, via 4chan's /v/. claiming there was a post or DM a leaker sharing yet-to-be verified info
also, Verge already stated he has nothing to do with that dummy grasping on anything to make his claims safe and FAQS mods already removed the original post/thread to avoid people getting their hopes up.
he and other legitimate rumorer OR popular leakers isn't going to mow through 100+ fake leaks claiming relations and have a public say about it. its up to you to realize not to easily fall for that nonsense.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Has anyone else been stressing out over Wednesday music reveals? I feel like if they reveal a Xenoblade track it'll confirm no Xenoblade newcomers since most franchises had music reveals alongside new characters. It's a dumb thing to worry about and they can easily add newcomers separately to music, but still.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What if it's Hiroyuki Sawano doing a remix of a non-Xenoblade song?

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
It's best to not believe any leaks, like the GameFAQs leak, that one seems to be 100% fake. Minecraft will never be in Smash.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
It's best to not believe any leaks, like the GameFAQs leak, that one seems to be 100% fake. Minecraft will never be in Smash.
I was tipped off by the idea is Sora without Disney references. Like one of the most overprotective IP holders will do that.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Heads up everyone, looks like somebody may have swiped the demo build of Ultimate. Nothing has come of it so far, but it's worth noting the entire roster of Mario Tennis Aces was datamined off a demo build.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Heads up everyone, looks like somebody may have swiped the demo build of Ultimate. Nothing has come of it so far, but it's worth noting the entire roster of Mario Tennis Aces was datamined off a demo build.
But the Mario Tennis leak was from the downloable demo.
Someone must've jacked an entire kiosk to steal a Smash demo.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
But the Mario Tennis leak was from the downloable demo.
Someone must've jacked an entire kiosk to steal a Smash demo.
Not entirely sure how it happened (not a tech guy), Alpharad has been covering it on his Twitter if you want to check it out.

Some people are saying it's been confirmed fake, but I remember when the Smash 4 ESRB leak was 'confirmed' fake.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
So here's a bit of an oddity that I've noticed: Nobody in the playable cast of XBC2 has any voice clips that acknowledge Elma in any fashion. She does have some unique post-battle dialogue, but that's all her responding to lines that were already there to begin with, with no real interaction taking place. Additionally, even her introductory cutscene only really had her talking. Anyone got any ideas what that could mean?

Personally, I feel that this is a good approximation of something that could work.

I don't know, this doesn't really feel like that strong of a basis for seeing a pattern to me. One pattern that I noticed might be coming back from the pre-release Smash 4 period, though, is the pattern in which the characters (barring the initial Smash 4 reveal at E3) are announced. What I mean is, announcements for characters from a previously unrepresented series, and a newcomer for a series that is already represented in Smash seem to be taking turns. To recount:
Rosalina & Luma (Mario newcomer)
Little Mac (Entirely new series)
Greninja (Pokémon newcomer)
Mii Fighter (Entirely new series, very technically speaking)
Palutena (Kid Icarus newcomer)
Pac-Man (Entirely new series)
Robin and Lucina (Fire Emblem newcomer)
Shulk (Entirely new series)
Bowser Jr. (Mario newcomer)
Duck Hunt (Entirely new series)

And similarly, if you discount Echo Fighters, the same pattern applies to Ultimate so far:
Inkling (Entirely new series)
Ridley (Metroid newcomer)
Simon (Entirely new series)
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong newcomer)

. . .So if this holds any water, the next new character to be revealed is probably someone from a series that has no playable fighters yet.
While if the stage count for the base game is only the 103 number Sakurai brought up I'm guessing the rest of the newcomers are characters from playable series in the game or if they are anymore playable series they will be fought on Battlefield or Final Destination due to the strain the team want through when making Battlefield and Omega versions of every stage. I see the final unique characters being something like Bandana Waddle Dee, Elma, Incineroar and Skull Kid/Geno.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
There was a problem fetching the tweet

It was all faked, people, no need to get yourselves worried about it.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
There was a problem fetching the tweet

It was all faked, people, no need to get yourselves worried about it.
Now, they're fake? Where people able to find the exact moments when these actions, like taunts from bayo and villager actually happened? Perhaps this is really his TV.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wow, he even deleted his Reddit account.
He was a racist, transphobic, and unnecessarily condescending and cruel asshole too sooooo good riddance

*sigh* im going to bed its been a long day

i hope to dream of elma in smash some more

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Now, they're fake? Where people able to find the exact moments when these actions, like taunts from bayo and villager actually happened? Perhaps this is really his TV.
He claimed to have the demo on his Switch, but it later turned out he was just recording his footage from a demo kiosk.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I hope I'm not the only one who wants both Elma and Rex & Pyra/Mythra. Though I'd figure the latter is DLC.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I hope I'm not the only one who wants both Elma and Rex & Pyra/Mythra. Though I'd figure the latter is DLC.
You're far from the only one. Me personally though... I just don't like Rex very much (or Pyra). I acknowledge that if we only one XC2 character, they'll be it for reasons of 'main characters' but if were up to me, I'd genuinely rather have any of the following:

- Morag and Brighid
-Zeke and Pandoria
- Lora and Jin
- Poppi (just Poppi, no Tora)
- a group of Nopon playing Zeke's theme music
- a generic Ardainian soldier

Nia would be on here, but the game decided to turn her into a Sailor Scout, and I was never able to look at her the same way again.

He was a racist, transphobic, and unnecessarily condescending and cruel ******* too sooooo good riddance

*sigh* im going to bed its been a long day

i hope to dream of elma in smash some more
Really? Yeesh, I'm sorry I gave him the extra attention.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
So Yoshi music was release today. No Xeno content yet.

What Xenoblade Chronicles X song would represent the game best on the smash bros website?

Personally I would like to see a Themex remix by Ace.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman

What Xenoblade Chronicles X song would represent the game best on the smash bros website?

I think her reveal song will be Uncontrollable, so it'll probably be that, since they're using the big character reveal's trailer songs as website songs, judging by what they did with Simon and K. Rool

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

If SSB4 is anything to go by, we'd probably get at least a XCX medley remix by Sawano.

Though I'd love to see Black Tar or Wir fliegen show up as remixes on the site.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Got to say, the fact that this is yet another track from a recent game (New Yoshi's Island) rather than a classic one is another point in favour of "relevancy still matters" and that Sakurai isn't ignoring new titles.
In fact New Yoshi's Island is probably the least liked game in the whole Yoshi series, so it surely didn't got representation because it was a fan favourite.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Got to say, the fact that this is yet another track from a recent game (New Yoshi's Island) rather than a classic one is another point in favour of "relevancy still matters" and that Sakurai isn't ignoring new titles.
In fact New Yoshi's Island is probably the least liked game in the whole Yoshi series, so it surely didn't got representation because it was a fan favourite.
When Sakurai said that he was taking insiration from the ballot, I would imagine he probably didn't mean EVERYTHING would be based on the ballot.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
You're far from the only one. Me personally though... I just don't like Rex very much (or Pyra). I acknowledge that if we only one XC2 character, they'll be it for reasons of 'main characters' but if were up to me, I'd genuinely rather have any of the following:

- Morag and Brighid
-Zeke and Pandoria
- Lora and Jin
- Poppi (just Poppi, no Tora)
- a group of Nopon playing Zeke's theme music
- a generic Ardainian soldier

Nia would be on here, but the game decided to turn her into a Sailor Scout, and I was never able to look at her the same way again.
Same here, actually! Though I personally dislike the two(/three) enough for me to rather not have any XBC2 character if the only alternative is them. I could (and most likely eventually will) probably talk for hours with all the problems I have with them. . .
But, uhm, on a less negative note, I feel like Lora and Jin might actually also have a good chance to make it in as DLC characters for Ultimate. I mean, from the looks of it, Lora is the protagonist of Torna - The Golden Country, and she does (so far) have a more interesting moveset, being a brawler who can also use a sword and a staff. Depending on how things play out, we could maybe even end up with a Robin and Chrom situation.

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
When Sakurai said that he was taking insiration from the ballot, I would imagine he probably didn't mean EVERYTHING would be based on the ballot.
With the design of Fox and Falco + Corneria all based on Star Fox Zero show everything is not based from the ballot, far from it (Star Fox Zero is maybe the most hated star fox game).

Top Bottom