• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I theorize that Wii U games will take priority for newcomers in the Switch game just like Wii games took priority in Smash for the Wii U.
I thinks that's a safe bet. Rarely does a Smash game take after the console it's based on.

Smash 64- uses iconography and characters from SNES (Yoshi, Samus, Ness) and some N64 (Mario, Link)
Melee- Almost entirely based off N64 iconography
Brawl- Mostly Gamecube iconography with Mario Sunshine, Twilight Princess and the Metroid Prime focus and newcomers like Olimar and Ike being based off their Gamecube designs. But rarely anything taken from the Wii era itself
WiiU/3DS- More Wii iconography, Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, Other M and newcomers like WII Fit Trainer, Lil Mac and Rosalina. But there was some stages and themes based off Wii U games.

I'm of course ignoring the fact that these games were mostly developed during early stages of the consoles life span but I digress. I think we can see a similar trend going to happen with Smash Switch with a lot of Wii U iconography.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The only 3 characters we got that made their debut the year (or much longer) after the roster for each game was finalised were Roy, Lucas and Greninja. We could get a few Switch-era debuts (2017 characters) in the base roster, but the bulk of the newcomers will most likely be taken from 2016 and earlier.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have my huge analysis for Elma ready. I do not plan on using the model of mech as a positive point, I rather have my analysis be focused on how Elma could have been chosen rather than what happened later. But rest assured, I think I can make people see why Elma would be a notable candidate for Smash Switch.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I wrote up my answer lol, let me know what yall think.

Chance: 70%

Pros:
- Xenoblade X’s timing makes it a prime target for representation, launching in april 2015 in Japan whereas the roster was likely finalized around summer 2016, A year and a half off from the release of the next game in the series, Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

- Extremely large and unique moveset potential, with dual swords and dual guns at her disposal, a variety of unique arts, a variety of "gimmick" options if Sakurai wanted due to the games depth of combat, and animations that could practically be copied and pasted from X, it’s RIDICULOUSLY easy to see how she’d fit into Smash and her potential is clear.

- Represents a different part of the Xenoblade franchise which I’m positive will be revisited in the future given the game’s cliffhanger ending. Compare this to Xenoblade 2 which sticks heavily to the original game’s theming instead.

- Not a major point or anything but a point anyway, Sakurai bought a toy mech with a rifle attached to use as a reference for a new project, may not be related to her but the figure greatly resembles the skells used in Xenoblade X and there aren’t many characters who it could be related to (People have brought up ray from custom robo but he’s so irrelevant that I can’t see it happening, others brought up mach rider…idk anything about mach rider so…). It could also mean nothing but it's fun to bring up.

Cons:
- Xenoblade 2 existing creates a potential problem as Sakurai and Monolithsoft may opt for including a character from the more recent game like Rex. However characters being selected before their game actually releases has only happened twice in the past, with Roy who was a last minute clone, and Greninja, but Pokemon could be a special case considering they practically become irrelevant as new games come out, the same could apply here with a new Xenoblade game out I suppose, but Elma isn’t irrelevant in the same way an old pokemon will be since her game is still a standalone product, not a continuous series where characters are added on top of one another by the hundreds.

- Elma isn't technically the "main" character of her game, Cross would be, but Cross is barely a character, barely has a definitive design and has so many customization options that the only way to go about including them would be using the default version, using the 'Drifter' class, using a knife and an assault rifle, FAR less interesting than Elma's potential moveset however.

Want: 100%
Elma is my most wanted character currently, I bought Xenoblade Chronicles X on a whim despite not really being a fan of RPG's or open world games all that much and not knowing anything about the franchise outside of Shulk in smash. I instantly fell in love with the game and played it practically non-stop when I first got it (until I got stuck on the last boss and left it for months, I really sucked and had no idea what I was doing lol). As such I fell in love with Elma, her amazing design and seeing her brought up in smash speculation around the time of X's release was probably a major factor in me wanting to play X. Elma may not be the most developed character around (like literally all the characters in X lol) but I still really enjoyed her as a character regardless (the powerful, badass female character is appealing I guess) and she would fit into smash almost too well, offering a unique moveset in the process, and there are a lot of different playstyles she could encompass and be built around due to the depth of her home games combat.

Last edited:

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Found a fan-made trailer of Xenoblade X. It's pretty cool.
It gives an eerie feeling.

- Not a major point or anything but a point anyway, Sakurai bought a toy mech with a rifle attached to use as a reference for a new project, may not be related to her but the figure greatly resembles the skells used in Xenoblade X and there aren’t many characters who it could be related to (People have brought up ray from custom robo but he’s so irrelevant that I can’t see it happening, others brought up mach rider…idk anything about mach rider so…). It could also mean nothing but it's fun to bring up.

- Elma isn't technically the "main" character of her game, Cross would be, but Cross is barely a character, barely has a definitive design and has so many customization options that the only way to go about including them would be using the default version, using the 'Drifter' class, using a knife and an assault rifle, FAR less interesting than Elma's potential moveset however.
Mach Rider doesn't use a bipedal mech with a rifle. He drives a bike.

Mach Rider takes place in the year 2112, and planet Earth has been invaded by evil forces driving vehicles known as Quadrunners. The player controls Mach Rider, who travels from sector to sector on a motorcycle, searching for survivors and destroying the enemies in his path.

He never used a mech that walks at any point.

Elma is the main protagonist. The Avatar is a point of view character and player character, they are not always the same as main protagonist.
Similar to other characters such as Watson of Sherlock Holmes, Ishmael of Captain Ahab, and Nick Carraway of Jay Gatsby.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Found a fan-made trailer of Xenoblade X. It's pretty cool.
It gives an eerie feeling.

Mach Rider doesn't use a bipedal mech with a rifle. He drives a bike.

Mach Rider takes place in the year 2112, and planet Earth has been invaded by evil forces driving vehicles known as Quadrunners. The player controls Mach Rider, who travels from sector to sector on a motorcycle, searching for survivors and destroying the enemies in his path.

He never used a mech that walks at any point.

Elma is the main protagonist. The Avatar is a point of view character and player character, they are not always the same as main protagonist.
Similar to other characters such as Watson of Sherlock Holmes, Ishmael of Captain Ahab, and Nick Carraway of Jay Gatsby.
Yeah I should reword that point, I meant player character, not main character I guess

also, I think it's because of this?

he has a gun at some point I guess

edit: I reworded it
- Elma isn’t the the games primary player character, the avatar Cross would be, but since she’s the pretty much the most important character in the story she can still be considered the main character, Cross is barely a character and serves as merely an onlooker to the games narrative, they barely have a definitive design and have so many customization options that the only way to go about including them would be using the default version, using the 'Drifter' class, which wields a knife and an assault rifle, FAR less interesting than Elma's potential moveset however. Elma and Cross are comparable to Chrom and Robin however where Chrom lacked moveset potential and Robin had it, the opposite is true for Elma and Cross.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I don't think the mech Sakurai got means anything for Elma. There's an official Formula plastic model, complete with several weapons.

Anyway, I'd love to see her, or any Xenoblade character really. It's awesome everyone's expecting a second character from Xenoblade.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The mech itself, probably not, but the gun is probably being used with tiny figures to flesh out character animations like Sakurai did for Brawl and apparently other Smash games too. Whether those animations are for a skell or not is to be seen.

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Well is Rex/Pyra doesn't make it in, or comes later as DLC since we don't know if Xenoblade 2 is too new of a game for them to be added with the whole development process of Smash compared to Xeno 2 and whatnot, I'd be cool with Elma making it in.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I couldn't get to sleep last night and ended up thinking what if E3 announced a bunch of things I wanted but in a way that made me not want them anymore. One of them was "Cross gets in Smash because Sakurai thought the avatar for an openworld game was a better rep". A terrifying vision, to be sure.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
No pls. I'd rather have any character than Cross to be honest..
Reported for being racist.

Joking aside, why not?

Edit: Derp. I can't read apparently. I didn't realize you were responding to the previous post. Haha

Welcome to the thread, DDDSan43!

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Elma managed to get into both top tens on RTC. I am impressed. Yall mobilized pretty well.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I'm shocked that she managed to break into both of the top 10 lists. IIRC she didn't rank that high in previous RTC threads, so I wonder why she suddenly became popular?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Metroid tuber, The Orpheon, recently posted a video detailing some of his ideas for Elma in Smash...goes over some interesting ideas such as implementing the Overdrive mechanic as a special...

He does talk about spoilers, as well but he does warn viewers about it before going over them...

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Metroid tuber, The Orpheon, recently posted a video detailing some of his ideas for Elma in Smash...goes over some interesting ideas such as implementing the Overdrive mechanic as a special...
Ooh thanks! I'll give it a watch. :D

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

He does talk about spoilers, as well but he does warn viewers about it before going over them...
Huh, never thought of overdrive like that tbh, If she has to have a gimmick that could be pretty fun

. . .apparently I have never posted in this thread? Weird.

For Smash For I hated the idea of Elma becuase a lot of negative opinions I had about XCX, especially in regards to its story and characters.

But as time has passed, Elma has managed to become one of my most wanted. Go figure. That video seems pretty nice, and while Elma is the perfect candidate for a real stance character, I do think just using the weapons regularly would be way easier. . .this is also the first time I learned how overdrive works. No wonder why mine always felt so short. Whoops!

errr anyway, Noctilum or bust!
:061:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Cross getting in Smash surely would be disappointing. Not to mention people wouldn't even know who they is.
I've seen people puzzled even when Robin got in (like they were "wait who is this?" "wait what? the default version of your avatar in Awakening?"; not hating Robin btw they was one of my most wanted characters back then), imagine with Cross.

As much I'm iffy with the idea of Rex getting in over Elma, if SSB4's dev team is/was in a debate between Rex x Cross, I'd rather have Rex in a blink

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
. . .apparently I have never posted in this thread? Weird.

For Smash For I hated the idea of Elma becuase a lot of negative opinions I had about XCX, especially in regards to its story and characters.

But as time has passed, Elma has managed to become one of my most wanted. Go figure. That video seems pretty nice, and while Elma is the perfect candidate for a real stance character, I do think just using the weapons regularly would be way easier. . .this is also the first time I learned how overdrive works. No wonder why mine always felt so short. Whoops!

errr anyway, Noctilum or bust!
I seem to recall you not liking XCX and Elma before, so that's quite a 180 degree turn. What made you change your viewpoint about Elma and/or the game? Just curious. :)

I still have no idea how Overdrive works after all these years. If we get a Switch port, then I'll learn how to properly utilize the system. Nintendo/Monolith Soft, please make it happen!

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The main things with overdrive;
-Use multi-hit yellow/orange attacks to raise your counter faster
-Purple arts gain TP, green arts used repeatedly grant more time, the higher your counter the better the bonuses
-Don't use melee/ranged attacks right after one another. You need a palette cleanser of either blue, green or purple or your counter won't raise.
Try to find ways to quickly raise your counter and gain some TP so you can refresh your timer if it gets low. It takes a while to find a build that works but just experiment. My first infinite overdrive build was figured out during the final boss; I was knife/raygun, spamming Smooth Recovery in-between beam attacks lmao.

I seem to recall you not liking XCX and Elma before,
Yikes I left that much of an impression
What made you change your viewpoint about Elma and/or the game? Just curious. :)

I always liked XCX (like 8/10) but I was disappointed because it wasn't a 10/10 like XC lol. But the story and characters? No idea. Best guess is I just got more open-minded over time and was finally able to realize how bad ass Elma would be in smash. I do plan to replay the game soon but haven't really had time.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Yikes I left that much of an impression

I always liked XCX (like 8/10) but I was disappointed because it wasn't a 10/10 like XC lol. But the story and characters? No idea. Best guess is I just got more open-minded over time and was finally able to realize how bad *** Elma would be in smash. I do plan to replay the game soon but haven't really had time.
Glad you saw the light then my friend, lmao

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I've also seen the light. I still prefer Rex, but I would be very excited for Elma and her moveset potential. We will get a Xenoblade newcomer for sure.

D

Deleted member

I feel like overdrive should be like a passive thing and not a actual special. Im still on the idea of her using ghost factory as a move.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I hope Xenoblade X gets a sequel eventually, hopefully with a improved character maker

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I hope Xenoblade X gets a sequel eventually, hopefully with a improved character maker
If a sequel does happen, do you think they’ll include the avatar from the first game as a side character similarly to how Dragon Ball Xenoverse did between 1 and 2?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
If a sequel does happen, do you think they’ll include the avatar from the first game as a side character similarly to how Dragon Ball Xenoverse did between 1 and 2?
That would require the original game to be released on Switch as well otherwise I'd say no.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'd like if they did a sort of Mass Effect sort of thing where you could transfer over your character, their weapons, armour, their affinity etc and keep playing as them. That'd require the game to be ported over tho unless there's some way to transfer wii u data so idk if it'd work

Alpswat

Smash Cadet
Well, Wii U is pretty much forgotten in Nintendo (labo kick it out of his web LMAO) i could probably see a Xenoblade X port, besides it outsold XC1, it wasn't as much as they wanted due to the awful marketing on Nintendo's side

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
It wouldn't hurt to add Rex and Elma in smash I mean Monolith Soft is a big deal sense Chronicles. Rex is given because Sakurai loves XC2. But Elma chance might be highly likely if XCX Rumor Port comes true and it could it increase her chances. I be honest I love Corrin but I think Elma shouldn't been the one of the last DLC characters Corrin. I want to see what Elma could bring in the table.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It'd break my heart if X didn't get a port, or any Wii U game that was unique for that matter. Even games like Kirby: Star Allies are beating franchise records, and Star Allies had questionable enough reviews that I don't think you can say game quality is the only factor.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It'd break my heart if X didn't get a port, or any Wii U game that was unique for that matter. Even games like Kirby: Star Allies are beating franchise records, and Star Allies had questionable enough reviews that I don't think you can say game quality is the only factor.
I wouldn't be surprised if a port's being worked on as we speak...Takahashi said he wants the game on the Switch afterall and other than a few titles on the system it does seem to be one of the biggest games left that hasn't been ported/gotten a proper sequel yet for the system...

Only reason I recon we didn't get it yet is most likely because Xenoblade 2 literally only just came out...e3 would be a good time to announce said port however since by the time it comes out there would've been enough time for players to have gotten and played Xenoblade 2...

And of course if Elma is indeed coming for Smash the announcement of a port would be a good segway into her Smash announcement, or vice versa...

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I wonder though, takahashi said the port was a 'maybe' back in november, likely cause 2 had just come out, how long would it even take for a game like this to be ported?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I wonder though, takahashi said the port was a 'maybe' back in november, likely cause 2 had just come out, how long would it even take for a game like this to be ported?
Depends really...Monolith has experience working on the Switch (not just with XC2 but also BotW since a lot of the staff worked on that game as well) so optimization shouldn't be too much of a problem for XCX...

Also depends on how much changes will be made to the game...as well as the changes that will be made due to the lack of a second screen...or any additional content added into the game such as extra customization options, more sidequests, etc...

As I mentioned earlier I think holding it off for at least a year will be a must considering XC2 only just came out...Xenoblade isn't exactly the kind of game series you release back to back...so even if they are working on it they'll probably take their time working on it...

Top Bottom