• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I made a quick comic to illustrate how I think Sakurai will add Elma and Rex in Smash Switch.

It was fun to make, and I hope you get a good idea on how I interpret both of their additions.
This is glorious! Is that a Pikmin I spot in the last 2 boxes? Haha

Did you make this by hand or used a program of some sort?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I made it in Clip Studio Paint. It makes making comics much easier for me. I aim to draw comics as skilled as Japanese mangaka one day. Although this particular comic is far from polished as manga. :p

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
While it would be funny if every new character has the Smash logo reflected in their eye; I doubt Sakurai will do that again.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
While it would be funny if every new character has the Smash logo reflected in their eye; I doubt Sakurai will do that again.
It would get pretty redundant if that was done with every character reveal...for the Inkling trailer it worked since it was meant to reveal Smash and going forward it would get more and more predictable since it's done as a way to surprise the audience...

Given how the trailer went however I do see a possible common theme of how each character could get revealed, perhaps each character is taken out of their respective world and thrown into the Smash world in some way...as we saw the Inkling doing, Inkling things then everything goes black then BAM flaming Smash logo...

In the case of Elma, perhaps when she's piloting her Skell she ends up in the Smash universe in some way...perhaps she accidentally travels through some wormhole and crashlands in Onett or something...

Alpswat

Smash Cadet
Every character has a way to "appear" itself, for example, with Bayonetta's announcement you could even see her voice and the moon. Even when Sakurai say the word "Climax" as a reference to Bayonetta.

Back to the topic, do you believe Xenoblade deserves more representation? I mean, It could be one character from each game, Shulk, Elma and Rex/Pyra

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Every character has a way to "appear" itself, for example, with Bayonetta's announcement you could even see her voice and the moon. Even when Sakurai say the word "Climax" as a reference to Bayonetta.

Back to the topic, do you believe Xenoblade deserves more representation? I mean, It could be one character from each game, Shulk, Elma and Rex/Pyra
So far I can see each game getting one character, sure...

I definitely at least want to see Elma added since X appears to be a different series more separated from XC and XC2...not only having more sci-fi than fantasy elements but is also more focused on exploration and customization over a heavy story...XCX also has promise of future sequels given the cliffhanger ending as well as possibly even reusing the characters from the game...If Elma will be present in future titles she at least has that going for her as well...Sakurai does find appeal in character who have promise of future appearances...

Alpswat

Smash Cadet
The thing about these characters, is that with 3 characters, are more varied in just one saga (Xenoblade). Than almost all of the cast, i mean, you have a unique swordfighter (Shulk with the Monado), dual swords combined with dual guns, which even has a Skell (Elma) and last but not least, Rex and Pyra with its unique combat system kind of modified into Smash, each one of them makes differents styles of combat, which for example, Fire Emblem has much more similarities (i love fe but i personally find that). The entire cast are swordfighters with a little variances, Robin, alongside with Corrin the most unique.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Just here to say Elma is probably my most wanted character, I love X and played it like 3 and a half times. Rex and pyra would be alright but I don't like them nearly as much and feel like they were probably just too late to be added since the roster was probably decided around mid 2016 and XC2 was nowhere near done then. Smash has always represented the last generation of consoles, not the current one, the only exception being pokemon. I doubt sakurai would want to add a bunch of characters based on concept art alone anyway.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Just here to say Elma is probably my most wanted character, I love X and played it like 3 and a half times. Rex and pyra would be alright but I don't like them nearly as much and feel like they were probably just too late to be added since the roster was probably decided around mid 2016 and XC2 was nowhere near done then. Smash has always represented the last generation of consoles, not the current one, the only exception being pokemon. I doubt sakurai would want to add a bunch of characters based on concept art alone anyway.
There's actually 3 exceptions to the whole "new characters debuting after roster has been finalized likely won't get in" trend. These are Roy, Lucas and Greninja. The weirdest thing about that interview about how roster is affected by the trends of the time was the quote about how if Awakening was released six months later, Robin may not have made it in, and if it was six months early, they might not have even been considered according to Sakurai, yet a Pokemon X and Y newcomer was specificially stated to be the exception. What if that exception was made because of how iconic Pokemon is, thus making Greninja's inclusion high-risk, high-reward in terms of broad appeal?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
There's actually 3 exceptions to the whole "new characters debuting after roster has been finalized likely won't get in" trend. These are Roy, Lucas and Greninja. The weirdest thing about that interview about how roster is affected by the trends of the time was the quote about how if Awakening was released six months later, Robin may not have made it in, and if it was six months early, they might not have even been considered according to Sakurai, yet a Pokemon X and Y newcomer was specificially stated to be the exception. What if that exception was made because of how iconic Pokemon is, thus making Greninja's inclusion high-risk, high-reward in terms of broad appeal?
I don't count roy cause he's a clone tho, Mother 3 was announced in like 2003 long before Brawl's project plan was made. Pokemon is weird because it has a consistent release schedule and brand new sets of characters every time, every time a new game is out the last characters are irrelevant so they have to plan ahead, xenoblade as a much smaller series and the games aren't set like pokemon so isn't really like that.

sidenote, yall think this could be related to elma and her skell?
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...oy_purchase_is_related_to_his_current_project

Last edited by a moderator:

Alpswat

Smash Cadet
I think it was discussed in a Source Gaming Video.

Timestamp 22:40 . They talk about Rex / Pyra's inclussion, and the robot of Elma gets mentioned.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
sidenote, yall think this could be related to elma and her skell?
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...oy_purchase_is_related_to_his_current_project
It's definitely possible. Other than the Skells, there's nothing like that mecha figure from recent games. The closest thing would be Custom Robo, but the last game was made over a decade ago.

Anyway, Skells aren't exclusive to Elma--all of the playable characters can control one. Out of all the XCX characters, Cross, Elma, and maybe Lin are the best candidates.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It's definitely possible. Other than the Skells, there's nothing like that mecha figure from recent games. The closest thing would be Custom Robo, but the last game was made over a decade ago.

Anyway, Skells aren't exclusive to Elma--all of the playable characters can control one. Out of all the XCX characters, Cross, Elma, and maybe Lin are the best candidates.
Lin isn't as important and Cross isn't very unique and is barely a character, I couldn't see either of them getting in tbh

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
True, but especially in Lin's case that's like adding Falco but not Fox. Cross is just so bland, it'd be literally the most disappointing character, I don't think ANYONE really wants cross lol
Cross is indeed bland, but I don't think their lack of personality has any bearing on their potential as a newcomer. They are the main character of the game. Period. It's ultimately up to Sakurai to decide. He'll either choose the main character with no definable traits or an actual character whose purpose is to drive the main story.

Please understand the reason why I'm acting pessimistic is because there has been a lot of positive hype surrounding Elma lately. Gotta keep expectations low in case she doesn't get in. :(

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Cross is indeed bland, but I don't think their lack of personality has any bearing on their potential as a newcomer. They are the main character of the game. Period. It's ultimately up to Sakurai to decide. He'll either choose the main character with no definable traits or an actual character whose purpose is to drive the main story.

Please understand the reason why I'm acting pessimistic is because there has been a lot of positive hype surrounding Elma lately. Gotta keep expectations low in case she doesn't get in. :(
Cross might be the player's avatar, but considering Elma's prominence in the game, it can easily be argued that she's the real main character.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Still have my unfinished Elma moveset that I was writing out during the DLC days...I'll make an attempt to try to finish it...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
We're playing devil's advocate for Cross vs Elma? Sure, why not.

The thing Cross has over Elma is potentially using every weapon type instead of dual guns/dual swords. If they nix knife/longsword with assault rifle they could use all kinds of weapons for different attacks. But FMJ is also the perfect class to show how X differs to 1's combat with how the movement, skills, auto-attacks etc all tie together and translates to Smash really well.
Designwise, Elma is memorable and has great costume potential; if you've seen footage of X you'll remember "white haired brown lady". She adds more relative to the cast of Smash than Cross which also counts; she contrasts nicely with Shulk and only ZSS/Bayonetta come close to encroaching on her thanks to their one/dual guns. Cross is another player avatar, but one with no real role in the main story.
If it got down to the wire I'd say the Smash Ballot would be the tiebreaker. I can't imagine many people voting for Cross over Elma. As a side note, look at how the internet reacted to Twintelle's unveiling in Arms, and then look back at Elma.

I feel like in any other case Elma would be in the perfect position for Smash. But XB2 starting development before X released (and therefore having enough for it for Sakurai to gleam a character from) definitely complicates things. Rex/Pyra getting in over her solely for being newer is a definite dayruiner.

Alpswat

Smash Cadet
I'd prefer both,I've said that three characters as representation of Xenoblade Chronicles would be just perfect.
And with that in mind, i really don't think Cross would be in Smash, cause it's so bland and has literally no real role as for example, Elma, she has much more impact on the story. Also, if you don't understand, compare the avatar characters (Robin and Corrin) with Cross, they talk and cause impact on the history, which Cross is literally not.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Reiterating what I said before, I personally think Cross doesn't have the upper hand over Elma. I think the limitless options for Cross harms their potential, so I can imagine Sakurai going for a more focused character like Elma. If he opts to go with Elma, Sakurai wouldn't have to worry about which voice actor to use, which appearance to use, which combat style to use, etc.

Lin is another major contender. She is the deuteragonist of the main story along with Elma--her importance to the story is exemplified by the fact that she is the narrator of the opening and closing scenes. In addition to that, she has by far the most personality out of all the main characters. Unlike any other possible Xenoblade representatives, she would bring something new to the table by having Tatsu accompany her (no pun intended). She would also have a unique fighting style with her shield and Gatling gun. The problem with Lin is that while she is arguably the emotional backbone of the main storyline, her importance to the overall story is dwarfed by Elma.

Rex and Pyra is Elma's biggest obstacle of them all though. They both have a 50/50 chance. The ideal situation would be to have them both.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I legitimately believe Elma has a very high chance of getting in. I feel a Xenoblade X character is almost guaranteed, honestly.

Support!

DDDSan43

Smash Rookie
Just registered to say that Elma has ALL my support!! Honestly, i don't know how are the possibilities, but Elma definitively should be in! I also think that Rex and Pyra should be in the new Smash Bros Title!
I hope that i can use this more xD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm holding out hope for both Elma and Rex & Pyra. Elma in the base game, Rex & Pyra as DLC. Why not throw in KOS-MOS too! I love this series so much and Elma holds a special place in my heart for being able to abuse infinite Overdrive in X's main story before I had Cross ready to go. Jokes aside she's definitely one of my favorites, just look at my signature. I'm not really sure how Elma's moveset would work other than she'd be a dual sword wielding glass cannon, but personally I think it'd be cool if she had a Limit Break of sorts but with TP arts since Cloud has a good chance of being cut. Like use Blood Sacrifice to gain one use of a TP art instead of the regular special (something like Shadowstrike -> Hundred Shells, Sliding Slinger -> Executioner, Blood Sacrifice -> Shadowrunner, and Ghostwalker -> Ghost Factory). It's kind of convoluted though and there'd be 4 more moves to animate, but hey, it's not totally out there.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'm holding out hope for both Elma and Rex & Pyra. Elma in the base game, Rex & Pyra as DLC. Why not throw in KOS-MOS too! I love this series so much and Elma holds a special place in my heart for being able to abuse infinite Overdrive in X's main story before I had Cross ready to go. Jokes aside she's definitely one of my favorites, just look at my signature. I'm not really sure how Elma's moveset would work other than she'd be a dual sword wielding glass cannon, but personally I think it'd be cool if she had a Limit Break of sorts but with TP arts since Cloud has a good chance of being cut. Like use Blood Sacrifice to gain one use of a TP art instead of the regular special (something like Shadowstrike -> Hundred Shells, Sliding Slinger -> Executioner, Blood Sacrifice -> Shadowrunner, and Ghostwalker -> Ghost Factory). It's kind of convoluted though and there'd be 4 more moves to animate, but hey, it's not totally out there.
Honestly, I know Xenoblade combat is complicated and they'd probably want to represent that in smash but I really hope elma doesn't have a gimmick, and if she does make it something simple like stance changing between guns and swords

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I know Xenoblade combat is complicated and they'd probably want to represent that in smash but I really hope elma doesn't have a gimmick, and if she does make it something simple like stance changing between guns and swords
Yeah Elma doesn't need a gimmick. I just wanted to throw some ideas into the pot since theorycrafting broken moves is pretty fun. In reality she'd be an agile dual sword/gun user with a focus on the swords. It's a shame that she can't make full use of how FMJ has a lot of positional attacks since there's no way a side attack could work in Smash, and that's the main problem I ran into when trying to craft a moveset. Obviously Shadowstrike has to be in there, but there's only so much you can do if you want to build around positioning when you only have back attacks to work with. Shadowrunner & Ghost Factory could work in there with Sliding Slinger to kind of pass through enemies to get behind them though.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Yeah Elma doesn't need a gimmick. I just wanted to throw some ideas into the pot since theorycrafting broken moves is pretty fun. In reality she'd be an agile dual sword/gun user with a focus on the swords. It's a shame that she can't make full use of how FMJ has a lot of positional attacks since there's no way a side attack could work in Smash, and that's the main problem I ran into when trying to craft a moveset. Obviously Shadowstrike has to be in there, but there's only so much you can do if you want to build around positioning when you only have back attacks to work with. Shadowrunner & Ghost Factory could work in there with Sliding Slinger to kind of pass through enemies to get behind them though.
I've always thought of sliding slinger as a launcher, her hitting them to send them up and maybe shooting them to keep them in the air for a second. She could then either jump out of it to follow up with a combo or keep running to get better positioning and escape a bad situation. The whole hit and run thing is how I've always imagined Elma's playstyle.

Sidenote I think I'm gonna make up a moveset, I've done one in the past but I have no clue where that is.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I think Elma would sort of have one and a half movesets...if you catch my drift...

In XCX all party members including Elma can use different auto attacks based on which weapons they are holding and you can either switch to their other weapons manually or based on which Arts they have used beforehand...for ex. Elma's Shadowstrike will have her equip her Swords after use, or Sliding Slinger will equip her guns...

I think this could be translated pretty interestingly into Smash...Elma's standard attacks are dependent on which weapons she holds, meaning all of her A attacks both on the ground and and in the air...While she has the same Specials and possibly Smash attacks which can be used to Switch her weapons...Perhaps to manually change the weapons quickly could be implemented into her taunts...

In this regard she technically wouldn't be a transformation character, but at the same time it would require a bit of strategy to make full use of her arsenal...This could make her quite a unique fighter in the roster...

Still working on writing up my moveset for her but I have the general idea already down...

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I think Elma would sort of have one and a half movesets...if you catch my drift...

In XCX all party members including Elma can use different auto attacks based on which weapons they are holding and you can either switch to their other weapons manually or based on which Arts they have used beforehand...for ex. Elma's Shadowstrike will have her equip her Swords after use, or Sliding Slinger will equip her guns...

I think this could be translated pretty interestingly into Smash...Elma's standard attacks are dependent on which weapons she holds, meaning all of her A attacks both on the ground and and in the air...While she has the same Specials and possibly Smash attacks which can be used to Switch her weapons...Perhaps to manually change the weapons quickly could be implemented into her taunts...

In this regard she technically wouldn't be a transformation character, but at the same time it would require a bit of strategy to make full use of her arsenal...This could make her quite a unique fighter in the roster...

Still working on writing up my moveset for her but I have the general idea already down...
I never thought of using taunts to change stances, I've always thought it would be down B but that honestly makes a lot of sense. The whole changing weapons based on which special you last used honestly sounds like it'd be a little unnecessarily complicated for casual players tho so I feel like they wouldn't use that

D

Deleted member

Good luck making a moveset. The most I can do is get the specials before blanking on all the normals. My (serious) one looks something like this:

Neutral Special- Shadowstrike, back attack bonus
Side Special- Sliding Slinger, weak dodgeslide thing with low angled knockback and little endlag
Down Special- Shadowrunner, shadow dash forward that stuns on hit and gives Elma a back attack bonus to her next attack
Up Special- Ghost Factory, recover by choosing one of 8 directions represented by ghost decoys; invincible & hides Elma's chosen direction until after the move ends

Throw in a Skell as a final smash. Edit: this made me remember that half the reason I had the whole TP thing with Blood Sacrifice was to have an Overdrive final smash that just let her spam the TP arts with no penalty.

After that there's a lot of choices for different attacks depending on if you wanna go with a gun or sword move so I can't think of normals. The most I think I can pencil in would be Side Slash as a forward tilt, but after that it's just too messy for me to think of. But to differentiate her from other sword characters she should have two parts to most of her sword strikes to best make use of her dual wielding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I never thought of using taunts to change stances, I've always thought it would be down B but that honestly makes a lot of sense. The whole changing weapons based on which special you last used honestly sounds like it'd be a little unnecessarily complicated for casual players tho so I feel like they wouldn't use that
Honestly it's no more complicated than characters that changed their entire movesets with a special...Probably would have a decently high skill cap, but there are a few characters already that take some getting used to when you first take them up, Shulk for example...

and in Elma's case it'd require some awareness as to which weapons she has equipped in order to make the most of her potential...for casual players I don't think it'd be much of a problem cuz they'd just slash a lot or shoot a lot depending on what she has equipped...I don't think it'd be too complicated especially since you can visually tell which weapons she has...

But keep in mind for the character's source material it makes a lot of sense given how in XCX you can change which weapons are equipped based on the Arts used as I mentioned...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I think you could have positional attacks in her moveset; you don't need to limit bonuses to damage. Tripping if you cross an enemy with Sliding Slinger, Shadow Strike as a command grab from behind, even shield damage bonuses when attacking from behind with f-tilt would work. Changing knockback and so-on based on your positioning changes your possible follow-up attacks, forcing both players to react to what kind of hit it was.

As for weapon switching, all of Shulk's animations have him start with the Monado on his back and the same might be the case for Elma. Only your currently-equipped weapon is visible, switched with neutral special. This would telegraph what attacks you have available, making for easy readability. Her grabs, get-up attack and ledge attacks would be weapon neutral. Maybe even her dash attack and initial jab (before it transitions into using her current weapon). Her other attacks might be similar across both weapons. If n-air is a spinning attack like Ness's, the difference would be she either spins with her swords or while firing. F-Smash as Executioner/Stream Edge has her attack while advancing forward. Thematically similar, mechanically different. Her side-special is always movement based whether it's a sliding gun attack or a leaping sword attack, that sort of thing.

As an aside, I feel like people underestimate the work that goes into a moveset with stance changes. Like when people suggest Rex use multiple weapons; that would basically mean he has three or so movesets to himself. That's a lot of work for one character. When possible they'd probably want to avoid that, hence why I think Elma would share some attacks and base animations across both weapons.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I do not like Elma or Xenoblade in general but I strongly believe she will be chosen as a newcomer.

I theorize that Wii U games will take priority for newcomers in the Switch game just like Wii games took priority in Smash for the Wii U.

Xenoblade X was a big title for the Wii U. So it makes sense. I'll bet money on this one.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
They need to make a CG trailer of Elma fighting Shulk. They have the model from Shulk's Smash 4 trailer, do it!!
I think her fighting samus would be a cool idea tbh, maybe she mistakes her for a ganglion robot or something lol. And the trailer better have Lin and Tatsu talking with Elma over it too.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I don't feel like Elma fighting Shulk would be entirely appropriate seeing as they're both heavily depicted as the heroic types from the Xenoblade series and they both tend to try a more diplomatic approach before fighting...Think of the Palutena and Lucas reveal trailers for example where they are allied with the characters from their own series...I feel that would be a better approach to her reveal trailer...

Perhaps Shulk would be having some issues against some off-screen enemy and Elma steps in to save him...Perhaps it's Bowser seeking revenge for Shulks surprise backslash from Smash 4...or perhaps it's a new enemy...or Metal face or whatever...

Top Bottom