• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Abade

Smash Apprentice
Dood add me to the Supporter list.

#1 Space Waifu

Haha, how fitting.

And then at the end she could say "strength comes from experience, that's true on any planet," after beating on the rest of the roster.

In retrospect, a lot of her quotes would work well in Smash.
She probably has experience about traveling to different worlds and meeting up new people and forming friendship and alliances with people no matter where they are from. I imagine she is already an expert on it. As well as some of other quotes that is so eloquently put it:
Don't Worry said:
We're all the same, even if from another world.

It's so beautiful. One of my favorite quotes from Xenoblade X. :crying:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I support Elma!
While I'd love to see someone from Xenoblade 2 that isn't Rex & Pyra, seeing that them are the most likely choice, I'd rather have Elma. She could have a really good moveset as well

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
This 2 songs need to be in Smash

Just the thought of a Mira stage with that soundtrack give me chills

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I thought about something interesting, and it's something that depends on whenever the Smash Swicth roster was decided. If it was decided in early 2016, that would be ~one year after Xenoblade X's Japanese release but only a couple of months after X's international release. Does it mean anything, or am I looking too far into things?
Well, Xenoblade X and Splatoon were released in a similar time period, with the latter having been released in May 2015. Despite its niche status, it's a HUGE open-world RPG on the Wii U and so it's pretty much a landmark title for Nintendo. It also has the benefit of being recent enough to be considered when development on Smash Switch began. At the same time, Xenoblade 2 was likely already in the middle of production, so Sakurai probably had some insight into the project at the time. I'm fairly confident we'll get another Xenoblade rep, but honestly I'd say it's 50/50 for both games.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Well, Xenoblade X and Splatoon were released in a similar time period, with the latter having been released in May 2015. Despite its niche status, it's a HUGE open-world RPG on the Wii U and so it's pretty much a landmark title for Nintendo. It also has the benefit of being recent enough to be considered when development on Smash Switch began. At the same time, Xenoblade 2 was likely already in the middle of production, so Sakurai probably had some insight into the project at the time. I'm fairly confident we'll get another Xenoblade rep, but honestly I'd say it's 50/50 for both games.
I think the chance of Rex happening depends on whether or not Sakurai is willing to give Xenoblade 2 the Greninja treatment (where a slot was saved for a game released around a year later than when the roster was finalised).

Cazzone

Smash Cadet
I have a question guys, since I’m new here I’m curious about a thing.

Now that today we learned that Smash Ballot results were used as a source for “future softwares” (Now we know for sure that this is referred to Smash 5)

The question is: Was Elma well supported back then? When the ballot was out, was Elma requested or had a loud fanbase? Let me know, maybe if she was quite requested during the ballot she might have a slight chance.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I have a question guys, since I’m new here I’m curious about a thing.

Now that today we learned that Smash Ballot results were used as a source for “future softwares” (Now we know for sure that this is referred to Smash 5)

The question is: Was Elma well supported back then? When the ballot was out, was Elma requested or had a loud fanbase? Let me know, maybe if she was quite requested during the ballot she might have a slight chance.
Concerning the wester audience she wasn't really supported, since Xenoblade X didn't release until December 2015, when the ballot was already closed. But X was released in Japan in April, so she might have received votes there.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Pretty much what Nonno said. Elma missed the ship in the western hemisphere and I doubt she had a strong following in Japan considering the tepid reviews surrounding her game. She did have a decent number of followers here in Smashboards and GameFAQs. For whatever reason, support for Elma at NeoGAF was practically nonexistent save for a small group of people. I'm afraid the ballot won't do anything for Elma, which is why I'm hoping XCX's recency is what gives her a spot.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Pretty much what Nonno said. Elma missed the ship in the western hemisphere and I doubt she had a strong following in Japan considering the tepid reviews surrounding her game. She did have a decent number of followers here in Smashboards and GameFAQs. For whatever reason, support for Elma at NeoGAF was practically nonexistent save for a small group of people. I'm afraid the ballot won't do anything for Elma, which is why I'm hoping XCX's recency is what gives her a spot.
Another thing that could help her is that she was probably the biggest contender for the "promotion" DLC slot alongside Corrin. And considering how Sakurai was initially afraid of adding a 6th Fire Emblem character he probably saw the potential that Elma has. SourceGaming did a video about it, which I will link it here:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Another thing that could help her is that she was probably the biggest contender for the "promotion" DLC slot alongside Corrin. And considering how Sakurai was initially afraid of adding a 6th Fire Emblem character he probably saw the potential that Elma has. SourceGaming did a video about it, which I will link it here:

Thanks for sharing the video. I have to admit that this makes me irrationally furious that Corrin was the top choice. But I suppose they deserved it. It's all speculation nonetheless.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Thanks for sharing the video. I have to admit that this makes me irrationally furious that Corrin was the top choice. But I suppose they deserved it. It's all speculation nonetheless.
It doesn't surprise me in a lot ways. It was the time of Smash 4's development that Fire Emblem went through it's huge revival with Awakening. Continuing to promote it when Fates arrived probably made sense at the time.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
It doesn't surprise me in a lot ways. It was the time of Smash 4's development that Fire Emblem went through it's huge revival with Awakening. Continuing to promote it when Fates arrived probably made sense at the time.
I hope Xenoblade gets the Fire Emblem treatment this time around. Elma in the base roster and Rex & Pyra/Mythra for DLC.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
If you want to check I wrote a comment under that video with my real name, Umberto Roccamena, where I gave other reasons why Corrin was chosen over Elma, and some resonated with the video's author (who, btw, supports Elma on Twitter). One of those was that Elma would have probably still been relevant considering how X ended with a cliffhanger, intending that there are plans for a direct sequel, while that DLC was Corrin's only chance to ever appear in Smash, considering how frequently the Fire Emblem games are made and released.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I don't know...I'm starting to lose hope for a sequel to XCX.

I'm a little confused about the direction of the Xenoblade series. Back when XCX came out, Takahashi said he would like to continue making more games, alternating between the story-driven games and online/large fully open-world map games. But now that Monolith Soft is developing a new IP, which sounds eerily similar to XCX (except that the setting is fantasy/medieval-based and we have no idea if it will be open world). They're also developing an ARPG battle system which is what XCX was trying to move towards to. I have a gut feeling they're going to ditch the X universe in favor of a new IP while continuing the numbered Xenoblade games.

Last edited:

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Hey, guys.
Energyman-2289 over on GFaqs posted a playlist of a YouTuber called Delzethin, who makes really good character speculation videos.

He has an Elma one:

And here's the full playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpD1oPUmLkSeoVAThbnpx7AM72jnqlSJg

Haven't watched cause it probably has spoilers and I haven't played the game yet, but judging by his Inklings video, it should be really good.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Elma had the utmost confidence to shoot a villain mid monologue
While that villain was in a mech, and she wasn't
That is so unbelievably badass, hell yeah bring her in

The world needs more badass dark ladies

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Count me in as a supporter!

The way I see it, it depends on when SSB Switch started development and how long Sakurai knew about XB2. He's expressed how much he loves 2, but that might not mean much if he started loving it late enough in SSB's development. In which case, I'd say Elma's in the base game, while Rex and/or Pyra have a good shot at DLC.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I would say that considering how much Sakurai loves 2 and how it is a commercial success, Rex and Pyra will be in the game in a way or another. If they aren't in the base game they are almost guaranteed for DLC.

BTW has Sakurai ever expressed his feelings for X?

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I would say that considering how much Sakurai loves 2 and how it is a commercial success, Rex and Pyra will be in the game in a way or another. If they aren't in the base game they are almost guaranteed for DLC.

BTW has Sakurai ever expressed his feelings for X?
Yeah, they're highly likely even if they don't make it in the initial roster. I hope they figure out a way to incorporate Mythra as she's the better waifu.

To my knowledge, he has never said anything about XCX. It came out in Japan in April 2015, which would put it right in the middle of development for Smash 4/5 DLC. I'd imagine he had his hands full during that time period. It's possible he already played it, but didn't have the opportunity to do a write-up like he did for XC2.

Or he plainly hated it. :rolleyes:

But seriously though, I highly doubt that he hated it (assuming he played it) because XCX was very gameplay-centric. There are tons of layers of complex gameplay mechanics, so it must've been heaven for Sakurai.

Xibit.A

Smash Rookie
Yes! I am here for Elma! I love the combat in Xenoblade Chronicles X and I think she would make an amazing addition to the cast.

Also, question, I see a lot of people with signatures similar to MrRoidley MrRoidley . Those are awesome. How do I get them?

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Yes! I am here for Elma! I love the combat in Xenoblade Chronicles X and I think she would make an amazing addition to the cast.

Also, question, I see a lot of people with signatures similar to MrRoidley MrRoidley . Those are awesome. How do I get them?
Welcome!

I would directly PM MrRoidley MrRoidley . There might be a dedicated spot for requests.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Loved XCX when I played it...would love to see Elma in the game...

I do also believe people are getting ahead of themselves with Rex and Pyra (DLC is definitely a possibility however) and I think Elma's timing lines up a lot better to be added into the base game...

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
So, ChronoBound was asking for some materials/official developer statements for potential candidates. I dug through some old interviews and found two--one from Tetsuya Takahashi and one from a Nintendo Treehouse member.

This is what I sent him to help him with his analysis on the possible candidates in the Xenoblade series:

Here is an interview with Tetsuya Takahashi, the executive producer of the Xenoblade series and head of Monolith Soft

GamesBeat: We’ve had Shulk in Smash Bros. That must be a neat thing to see. Now we know Nintendo is doing downloadable content for Smash Bros. Would you like to see Xenoblade Chronicles X characters in Smash as well?

Takahashi: I’m not entirely sure, but you could always ask Mr. Sakurai about that. [laughs]
Source: VentureBeat

- - - - -

Here is another interview, this time with a Treehouse member (in charge of the localization)

GR: Are you hoping that maybe some of these characters crossover into Super Smash Bros. or anything like that?

Boggs: “I’m always down for new characters to be in Smash! I would love for more representation of any type of Monolith games that we’ve had. Yeah, to have Elma or something like that in the game would be great, but that’s all up to Sakurai and the wonderful magic that he works and the craziness. I’m with you guys though, the more the better.”
Source: Gamerant
Is there anything else that I should send to help him with the analysis? It doesn't have to be specifically about Elma or X. Anything from the Xenoblade series would do.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I support Elma, honestly X gets a lot of **** but for what it's worth it's actually a really good game that stands on it's own, Elma could be really unique with her Tension Points and various arts as well. Count me in.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So, ChronoBound was asking for some materials/official developer statements for potential candidates. I dug through some old interviews and found two--one from Tetsuya Takahashi and one from a Nintendo Treehouse member.

This is what I sent him to help him with his analysis on the possible candidates in the Xenoblade series:

Is there anything else that I should send to help him with the analysis? It doesn't have to be specifically about Elma or X. Anything from the Xenoblade series would do.
I have never heard about this interview until now, very interesting. But IDK, could you see a scenario where XCX gets represented first in the base roster in early 2016, then gets potentially replaced or added by a XC2 character as well since Sakurai likely knows about the development of the main sequel?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I support Elma, honestly X gets a lot of **** but for what it's worth it's actually a really good game that stands on it's own, Elma could be really unique with her Tension Points and various arts as well. Count me in.
Frankly X's biggest problem comes down to elements of its story and characterization. Elma is the character that stands out the most while I have a hard time remember most of the other characters featured in the main story.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Frankly X's biggest problem comes down to elements of its story and characterization. Elma is the character that stands out the most while I have a hard time remember most of the other characters featured in the main story.
I remember Lin and Lao... And Tatsu... And that’s it. Yeah the characters aren’t exactly the strongest point of the game, it’s definitely the environments you come across.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
While I do agree, I would still argue that the playable characters were for the most part good characters with interesting stories that were told through side quests and heart to heart. And personally I love this method of storytelling, since it feels more natural. Nobody on real life would expose his/her past and situation like so many characters do in other games (I'm looking at you Sharla...).

I have never heard about this interview until now, very interesting. But IDK, could you see a scenario where XCX gets represented first in the base roster in early 2016, then gets potentially replaced or added by a XC2 character as well since Sakurai likely knows about the development of the main sequel?
Considering how different X and 2 are in regards of settings, content and general playstyle of the characters, I don't think it would have been feasible to just replace one with the other. Also Sakurai is known to be very attached to the project plan ( he didn't add any content from Mario Galaxy in Brawl because it was in its early stages, even tho it was developed and released before Brawl came out), so if he planned content from X that wouldn't have been changed not even with 2 on the horizon.

Honestly I could see content from both games, since Sakurai loves the series and wants it to expand, like how Fire Emblem did. And if Xenoblade 2 wasn't planned for the base game in 2016, after it sold more than a million copy in just December 2017, it is extremely likely that it will be featured as DLC.

Last edited:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I'm still up for Elma joining. The talk about the new game being developed so soon makes me abit hopeful she'd be considered. Her joining could very much cause Nintendo/MS to give more love to X as well.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Do you think Elma would have been heavily considered as the promotional candidate for Smash 4 DLC? Given that around the time, Xenoblade X released at a timespan where Sakurai considered characters from recently released games in 2015. Do you think her being excluded was a result of not wanting to add more representatives from franchises Sakurai recently made playable in Smash 4, kinda like Villager and the Animal Crossing series? I think around that time of DLC, XCX was at its primetime of being easily included in the DLC selection, and Elma already had the gameplay potential to be in Smash. I think the fear of adding more representation override Sakurai wanting to add her in the game.

I think it is pretty likely that Sakurai will consider a XC character in general for the next Smash. Do you think Sakurai would have much of a dilemma choosing between making a XCX or XC2 character playable because of both games being sorta developed around 2015? Or do you think he would add both because both offered great gameplay potential to get in the game. I think that Sakurai would likely know of the Blade concept from XC2, given that he would hypothetically negotiate a XCX character with Monolith Soft also likely letting Sakurai know that they are also developing XC2 for the Nintendo NX to make both Rex and Elma possible to be in the base roster.

Do you think Sakurai would only have one slot reserved for a Xenoblade newcomer around that potential time of negotiation? Would Sakurai be that open to adding more Xenoblade characters if he known about XB2's Blade concept?

I have so many questions that need opinions and answers. Because Elma is becoming a more plausible option for Smash Switch to me the more I think about Xenoblade X.

Elma basically has perfect timing to be chosen for Smash Switch kinda like Celica in early 2016, but adding Rex too, that is a more complicated scenario to think about.

Last edited:

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
I just keep seeing everyone predicting Rex in most websites, youtube channels and all the videogame forums with threads about roster prediction. Really, 99 % of the time I see someone talking about a Xenoblade newcomer they are talking only about Rex

There's a few exceptions where Elma is mentioned but very few times. It's like most people forgot about X in Wii U and only thinks about the Switch game. And honestly, it's starting to make me sad because I'm scared the game is not considered important or relevant enough to be represented

I want to be optimistic and positive, but it's hard when this thread is almost the only place on the internet where people are talking about Elma's inclusion

She's definitely my most wanted character for Smash. There's a lot of other characters I want to see playable that would make me very happy, of course, but Elma always come first in my mind

There's no words to express how much I love Xenoblade X and how much I want a sequel for Switch, so I would give anything to see the game represented in Smash Bros

I think it is pretty likely that Sakurai will consider a XC character in general for the next Smash. Do you think Sakurai would have much of a dilemma choosing between making a XCX or XC2 character playable because of both games being sorta developed around 2015? Or do you think he would add both because both offered great gameplay potential to get in the game. I think thatSakurai would likely know of the Blade concept from XC2, given that he would hypothetically negotiate a XCX character with Monolith Soft also likely letting Sakurai know that they are also developing XC2 for the Nintendo NX to make both Rex and Elma possible to be in the base roster.

Do you think Sakurai would only have one slot reserved for a Xenoblade newcomer around that potential time of negotiation? Would Sakurai be that open to adding more Xenoblade characters if he known about XB2's Blade concept?

I don't think its likely a franchise like Xenoblade can have 2 newcomers at the same time like Mario or Pokemon. I already felt very lucky when Shulk made it to Smash 4, I had many doubts about his inclusion

I want both Elma and Rex. That would be the best case scenario but I don't see it happening.

Because Elma is becoming a more plausible option for Smash Switch to me the more I think about Xenoblade X..
And I really really hope you're right

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Do you think Elma would have been heavily considered as the promotional candidate for Smash 4 DLC? Given that around the time, Xenoblade X released at a timespan where Sakurai considered characters from recently released games in 2015. Do you think her being excluded was a result of not wanting to add more representatives from franchises Sakurai recently made playable in Smash 4, kinda like Villager and the Animal Crossing series? I think around that time of DLC, XCX was at its primetime of being easily included in the DLC selection, and Elma already had the gameplay potential to be in Smash. I think the fear of adding more representation override Sakurai wanting to add her in the game.

I think it is pretty likely that Sakurai will consider a XC character in general for the next Smash. Do you think Sakurai would have much of a dilemma choosing between making a XCX or XC2 character playable because of both games being sorta developed around 2015? Or do you think he would add both because both offered great gameplay potential to get in the game. I think that Sakurai would likely know of the Blade concept from XC2, given that he would hypothetically negotiate a XCX character with Monolith Soft also likely letting Sakurai know that they are also developing XC2 for the Nintendo NX to make both Rex and Elma possible to be in the base roster.

I have so many questions that need opinions and answers. Because Elma is becoming a more plausible option for Smash Switch to me the more I think about Xenoblade X.

Elma basically has perfect timing to be chosen for Smash Switch kinda like Celica in early 2016, but adding Rex too, that is a more complicated scenario to think about.
I really think that Elma was the next in line after Corrin for the promotional candidate as DLC, and considering that Corrin, a 6th Fire Emblem character, was chosen over her proves that Sakurai doesn't care for overepresenting a series if its characters have potential, so I don't think he had any dilemma. SourceGaming had a video about the matter:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

I think Elma was easily a runner up choice to Corrin since Sakurai outright said he was looking for a character from a new upcoming title....And Xenoblade X was the only real other title that sort of coincided with his requirements...only major difference was that XCX released a few months earlier than Fates

I feel like the reason he went with Corrin in the end was moreso because IS goaded him on about the character and he ended up going with the character (despite knowing that Fire Emblem was becoming a bit too oversaturated in the Smash's roster at this point)...and since he was working on Bayonetta as well from the ballot Elma (also being a dual-gun user) may have seemed less appealing at the time...

However Xenoblade is a franchise on the rise and since it's likely that he would've started development closer to when XCX was current she may very well be a frontrunner for the series...I don't think Sakurai will outright reserve only one spot for Xenoblade for the sake of just having one character but the problem is with Rex and Pyra/Mythra is that XC2 was still only part of the way through development and we don't exactly know how far along they would've been finalized for the game, Xenoblade isn't nearly as big as Pokemon where the risk is a lot smaller so comparing them to Greninja isn't exactly the best way to determine their likelihood...with that said I can easily see them getting in as DLC during Smash post-release development (if any but seeing as Smash 4's DLC likely did so well it more than likely will)

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Bringing this up from another thread:

Doesn't look similar to Elma's gun, tbh.

HOWEVER!!

This is Elma's Skell... It actually looks similar.
Even though Sakurai said he was using the rifle for reference, he could use the model for multiple references. The gun could represent the Inklings while the Mecha could represent a mecha-like character. It would be odd to purchase a mecha figurine to then only use the rifle for reference. Sakurai could've easily bought a model of a rifle if he wanted just that.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what it is but every day I just get more excited for Elma, even though I know like 1% about the character. Maybe it's the dual wielded guns/blades, or maybe I'm expecting a really good backstory or something when I play her game port to Switch soon pls

If I'm being honest, she might be the likeliest character out of the ones I want without counting veterans.

The thing about Sakurai getting a miniature mech to study the gun is telling me that it's definitely for Elma's inclusion in Smash, but at the same time it could be anything else with Sakurai.
My expectations are already raised; I think I'm gonna be really sad if she doesn't make it.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I don't know what it is but every day I just get more excited for Elma, even though I know like 1% about the character. Maybe it's the dual wielded guns/blades, or maybe I'm expecting a really good backstory or something when I play her game port to Switch soon pls

If I'm being honest, she might be the likeliest character out of the ones I want without counting veterans.

The thing about Sakurai getting a miniature mech to study the gun is telling me that it's definitely for Elma's inclusion in Smash, but at the same time it could be anything else with Sakurai.
My expectations are already raised; I think I'm gonna be really sad if she doesn't make it.
Speaking of backstories, you should read a couple short stories which were translated from the Japanese website. They are not included in the game in any form, so no need to worry about major spoilers.

-Forging BLADE
-24 Hour Happy People

You might want to lower your expectation for a good main story if that's what you're talking about. I personally enjoyed it, but many did not. Her personality is somewhat lacking in the main story, but I still enjoyed the bits where she showed some personality. That being said, Elma's personality shines the most in her Heart-to-Hearts.

I no longer have the Wii U hooked to the TV, so I'm really hoping they port the game to Switch too!

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I made a quick comic to illustrate how I think Sakurai will add Elma and Rex in Smash Switch.

It was fun to make, and I hope you get a good idea on how I interpret both of their additions.

Top Bottom