• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Yea, all the "leaks" are from 4chan, Reddit, or Gamefaqs, and they all have reliable inside insider information, lol. I was just thinking it was kinda funny that they all had the exact same 3 characters, with some variations about what other characters will be in
With leaks, this is usually just a case of bandwagoning off what's popular to sound plausible, but... Isaac shouldn't be on most of these if that's the case.

If enough of these K. Rool/Elma/Isaac leaks really do sprout up and overwhelm these sites, I'd have to wonder if one of them actually has insider information.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Yea, all the "leaks" are from 4chan, Reddit, or Gamefaqs, and they all have reliable inside insider information, lol. I was just thinking it was kinda funny that they all had the exact same 3 characters, with some variations about what other characters will be in
I think it is 4chan just messing around. I do believe that Isaac, King K. Rool, Ashley and Elma will get in; however, I cannot shake the feeling that the "leakers" are doing this just to get a rise out of people. Basically a play to their emotions.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
With leaks, this is usually just a case of bandwagoning off what's popular to sound plausible, but... Isaac shouldn't be on most of these if that's the case.

If enough of these K. Rool/Elma/Isaac leaks really do sprout up and overwhelm these sites, I'd have to wonder if one of them actually has insider information.
Yea, that's true. Though, like you said, I do wonder if these leaks have any truth to them, if all these people are talking about these three characters in particular, I'm kinda thinking that maybe, just Maybe there's a chance that they're based on truth, but you never know.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I think it is 4chan just messing around. I do believe that Isaac, King K. Rool, Ashley and Elma will get in; however, I cannot shake the feeling that the "leakers" are doing this just to get a rise out of people. Basically a play to their emotions.
Yea, I honestly think that maybe one of the leaks about these characters could have been real, and since everyone wants to get popular, they just jump on the bandwagon.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I usually see Bandana Waddle Dee in place of Isaac, and/or Simon Belmont in place of K. Rool.

At this point my only die hard wants are Elma and BD, anyone else is a bonus (I’d like Rex and Pyra but I’m not counting on them for base roster based on the Sakurai roster finalization statements)

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I usually see Bandana Waddle Dee in place of Isaac, and/or Simon Belmont in place of K. Rool.

At this point my only die hard wants are Elma and BD, anyone else is a bonus (I’d like Rex and Pyra but I’m not counting on them for base roster based on the Sakurai roster finalization statements)
I see Simon, and Bandanna Dee along side them in quite a few of the leaks as well.
Same tho, Elma's really the only character I actually want, and Bandanna Dee is a second, with Rex and Pyra being third, but yea, obviously there will be no Rex and Pyra in the base game.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Same tho, Elma's really the only character I actually want, and Bandanna Dee is a second, with Rex and Pyra being third, but yea, obviously there will be no Rex and Pyra in the base game.
Honestly, I want Elma more than Rex and Pyra even though all of them are good characters. Reason being is that Elma's moveset potential interests me. Smash brothers has never had a dedicated dual wielder fighter (Pit uses his shield orbitars, bow and burning side arm as attacks) and I would love to see how a dual wielder plays in Smash Brothers.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I think Elma's getting more attention because of the project plan being started in 2015. This makes some characters seem less feasible and makes her a relatively safe inclusion for fake leaks. Mind, plenty of rumours still forget to include any XBX content at all when Smash has always been pretty good with that kind of thing (we got a frigging Pilot Wings stage and Steel Diver weapon in Smash 4 for crying out loud).

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I want Elma more than Rex and Pyra even though all of them are good characters. Reason being is that Elma's moveset potential interests me. Smash brothers has never had a dedicated dual wielder fighter (Pit uses his shield orbitars, bow and burning side arm as attacks) and I would love to see how a dual wielder plays in Smash Brothers.
Yea, and don't forget, she'd use her duel rifles too!
Rex could make for a unique character as well, but I agree, Elma would be way more unique

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I think Elma's getting more attention because of the project plan being started in 2015. This makes some characters seem less feasible and makes her a relatively safe inclusion for fake leaks. Mind, plenty of rumours still forget to include any XBX content at all when Smash has always been pretty good with that kind of thing (we got a frigging Pilot Wings stage and Steel Diver weapon in Smash 4 for crying out loud).
Yea, that's true. And I think they're picking K. Rool, and Isaac, going off the assumption that the newcomers will be largely based on the ballot, which is a safe bet as well

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Yea, and don't forget, she'd use her duel rifles too!
Rex could make for a unique character as well, but I agree, Elma would be way more unique
Of course. Now, I am not knocking Rex and Pyra, but I cannot shake the feeling that he would be too similar to Shulk with a minor change in attacks (like his Anchor Shot).

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Of course. Now, I am not knocking Rex and Pyra, but I cannot shake the feeling that he would be too similar to Shulk with a minor change in attacks (like his Anchor Shot).
Yea, he would definitely feel at least fairly similar to Shulk, I also kinda had the fear lingering in the back of my mind for a while that they might make him a semi clone of Shulk, but I don't think that will happen

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Cross is important to the game. While Elma is basically the main character in the main campain and people refer to you as the new rookie of Elma's Team. Everyone else revolves around Cross. The sidequests, recruiting and helping the other cast members.
There is even a bit of lore that hints that Cross was the original pilot of the Black Skell that saved the White Whale when it was attacked near Mira before they crashed.
Also picking Cross over Elma gives Sakurai the ability to use many weapons for his attacks rather than just one set. Which is a ability thats usable when you master all classes.
They also have a personality depending on what you say or do during aome cutscenes.
It's possible but the way I look at it is Elma is the Chrom to Cross' Robin, and obviously Chrom was thought of before Robin was but was kept out because of his lack of moveset potential. In contrast to Chrom, Elma has a ton of moveset potential and even a more focused and distinct kit than cross does.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Literally every leak I see always has at least King K. Rool, Isaac, and Elma in it, with a few differences between them.
Personally, I think Elma is getting in, but what do you all think about this leak? I don't really buy into rumors, so I don't really believe them, other than the Elma part of course, but I do think it's a pretty believable leak. I could easily see those three getting in tbh. What do you guys think?
That's actually something I meant to bring up, I see Elma come up in rumors all the time alongside heavy hitters like K. Rool, Ashley and Simon. I've only seen a handful that look believable, and it's more than likely all of them are fake, but it just means Elma is that deeply embedded in the public psyche, and that makes me happy.

That might be a silly way to look at it, but that's what being an optimist is all about.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
That's actually something I meant to bring up, I see Elma come up in rumors all the time alongside heavy hitters like K. Rool, Ashley and Simon. I've only seen a handful that look believable, and it's more than likely all of them are fake, but it just means Elma is that deeply embedded in the public psyche, and that makes me happy.

That might be a silly way to look at it, but that's what being an optimist is all about.
Yea, they're all probably fake, but I still can't shake this feeling that maybe it has some semblance of truth to it, you know? Like, I wonder if one of these leaks is actually true, and since it seems likely, more people are jumping on the bandwagon. Plus, Elma is highly likely already, so that does back up the leaks, at least somewhat.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
It's possible but the way I look at it is Elma is the Chrom to Cross' Robin, and obviously Chrom was thought of before Robin was but was kept out because of his lack of moveset potential. In contrast to Chrom, Elma has a ton of moveset potential and even a more focused and distinct kit than cross does.
Yea, Elma has a much greater chance at making it in, though I'm not gonna lie, it would be neat to see Cross in there, but I'd rather see Elma, and I don't think Cross would be very likely at all

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
Yea, Elma has a much greater chance at making it in, though I'm not gonna lie, it would be neat to see Cross in there, but I'd rather see Elma, and I don't think Cross would be very likely at all
I feel like Cross being in would miss the point of Cross to begin with, they aren't an all-star, they're one in a million player characters that are all doing their part for BLADE, completing squad missions, fighting Yggralith, trading hacked equipment for nothing, and they all have their own unique look, builds, even divisions. XCX is all about the individual small-picture stories in a much much larger world, however, this doesn't translate well in to Smash as Smash is ALL about the all-stars and the biggest picture possible. So it fits that the most important character in the story gets the spot, Elma.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Cross being in would miss the point of Cross to begin with, they aren't an all-star, they're one in a million player characters that are all doing their part for BLADE, completing squad missions, fighting Yggralith, trading hacked equipment for nothing, and they all have their own unique look, builds, even divisions. XCX is all about the individual small-picture stories in a much much larger world, however, this doesn't translate well in to Smash as Smash is ALL about the all-stars and the biggest picture possible. So it fits that the most important character in the story gets the spot, Elma.
EXACTLY. This dood gets it, lol. But yea, I totally agree, I don’t think Cross is even a possibility, Elma is the way to go.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Even in-game people recognize Elma is the star, most of your deeds are credited under "Elma's team" and it's only late game that people start appreciating you.
Pic related comes to mind.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Sorry if this has been discussed or mentioned before but people are using the avatar excuse for Cross chances. I'm sorry but you can't really say that Cross is similar to Robin or Corrin at all. Take them out of the story and your not missing really anything that important related to X but take out either Robin or Corrin in their games and then your missing a huge probably all of the game story

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Sorry if this has been discussed or mentioned before but people are using the avatar excuse for Cross chances. I'm sorry but you can't really say that Cross is similar to Robin or Corrin at all. Take them out of the story and your not missing really anything that important related to X but take out either Robin or Corrin in their games and then your missing a huge probably all of the game story
Definitely true, cross is the definition of a blank slate with no defining characteristics by default. They don't even have a default name or voice like Robin does, they don't have any actual dialogue and the default class of Drifter is uninteresting as far as moveset potential goes and as much as people say it they can't make a moveset out of a dozen different weapons, it doesn't really work

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Another problem with Cross is that they are too customizable. A lot of people's attachments are to 'their' Cross as opposed to the character themselves; because the character, doesn't really have any character at all and its all up to the choices that the player makes.

This is a big difference from Robin/Corrin who are likeable (or dislikable) for the personality that they have rather than because of their 'existence' within the game. Now of course we have the Mii Fighters and Villager who are essentially the same sort of avatars that Cross is, but another difference is they have their own charm without the need for personality, nor do they really have any stand-out 'competition' within their own games that could possibly take any attention away from them, in the case of Cross we have Elma.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
We should analyse all the different "Avatars" in Smash:
:ultvillager: He is the best fit for the moveset Sakurai envisioned for Animal Crossing, since he is the one who uses all those tools. Also his look is very unique and distinct, and he is also quite limited in his customization in comparison to other avatars (for example is face is always a present, you can't change his body structure...).
:ultrobin He is still one of the 3 protagonist of Awekening, and he has his default look alongside an older and younger one of that said default look. But while his look can be customized, his abilities of being a Sword and Magic user can't. That is what drawn Sakurai to him: his unique moveset potential that is common among all player's Robin. Same goes for :ultcorrin:.
:ultmiifighters: Their major appeal is in customizing them, which is also why Smash uses them as the "Create a Character" feature. Their customizability has been fully embraced by Smash.
:ultinkling: While some consider them an Avatar, they are mostly the same for all player's, the only thing that can be changed is the gear they wear, but their moveset would be the same no matter if this is my Inkling or another person Inklings, since they all use the same weapons (and in Smash they use all of them).

Cross, on the other hand, is completely up to the player. Mine for example was very tall, had a moustache and always wears a smoking, but I'm sure that he looks completely different from anyone else's Cross. And that wouldn't be a problem, but the problem is that he also plays completely different. After a couple hours in the game Cross can select a class from his standard (and extremely boring for Smash) one. That's the biggest problem, every Cross plays differently. Some player's opted to be Attacker, other Healer and other Tanks, and all are extremely different from one another. Creating a moveset using "an attack from each class" just doesn't make sense because of how different they are.
Also it doesn't help that he never had any real impact on the game story, which centered about Elma. He was a "link" (eheh) between the player and the world, but he always felt like he didn't appartein to Mira, and that is because he is meant to represent the player.

He isn't his own character without the player, and that is why Cross is extremely unlikely to be in Smash, especially when we have a real character from that world being Elma.
It would be like adding the Strategist over Lyn from Fire Emblem, just because he is the MU character doesn't mean he is the protagonist, or the most prominent character in the game.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
We should analyse all the different "Avatars" in Smash:
:ultvillager: He is the best fit for the moveset Sakurai envisioned for Animal Crossing, since he is the one who uses all those tools. Also his look is very unique and distinct, and he is also quite limited in his customization in comparison to other avatars (for example is face is always a present, you can't change his body structure...).
:ultrobin He is still one of the 3 protagonist of Awekening, and he has his default look alongside an older and younger one of that said default look. But while his look can be customized, his abilities of being a Sword and Magic user can't. That is what drawn Sakurai to him: his unique moveset potential that is common among all player's Robin. Same goes for :ultcorrin:.
:ultmiifighters: Their major appeal is in customizing them, which is also why Smash uses them as the "Create a Character" feature. Their customizability has been fully embraced by Smash.
:ultinkling: While some consider them an Avatar, they are mostly the same for all player's, the only thing that can be changed is the gear they wear, but their moveset would be the same no matter if this is my Inkling or another person Inklings, since they all use the same weapons (and in Smash they use all of them).

Cross, on the other hand, is completely up to the player. Mine for example was very tall, had a moustache and always wears a smoking, but I'm sure that he looks completely different from anyone else's Cross. And that wouldn't be a problem, but the problem is that he also plays completely different. After a couple hours in the game Cross can select a class from his standard (and extremely boring for Smash) one. That's the biggest problem, every Cross plays differently. Some player's opted to be Attacker, other Healer and other Tanks, and all are extremely different from one another. Creating a moveset using "an attack from each class" just doesn't make sense because of how different they are.
Also it doesn't help that he never had any real impact on the game story, which centered about Elma. He was a "link" (eheh) between the player and the world, but he always felt like he didn't appartein to Mira, and that is because he is meant to represent the player.

He isn't his own character without the player, and that is why Cross is extremely unlikely to be in Smash, especially when we have a real character from that world being Elma.
It would be like adding the Strategist over Lyn from Fire Emblem, just because he is the MU character doesn't mean he is the protagonist, or the most prominent character in the game.
Great post. I think the major thing is that Robin or Corrin etc have a offical look in their games

Example: Robin

Anytime awakening was shown we saw this Robin.

But for Cross, there never was an official look for him/her. they always looked different in trailers shown so unless Sakurai uses the most basic design like this.

I'm going to be biased as **** here If Cross got in instead of Elma i would be so ****ing mad

Last edited:

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
What XCX music do you guys want in Smash? Even if there's no playable XCX rep at all there's mostly likely gonna be music from it in some capacity, Uncontrollable, Wir Fliegen, RAOKIMERATERESIA, and a remix of X theme to fit a fight would be a small percentage of my wants. XCX's OST is honestly godlike, and people are turned off by UH YEAH UH YEAH (which is still a great song T B H), I think hearing some of the greatest hits would really make people interested in XCX, and maybe make people who were initially turned off give it another chance.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What XCX music do you guys want in Smash? Even if there's no playable XCX rep at all there's mostly likely gonna be music from it in some capacity, Uncontrollable, Wir Fliegen, RAOKIMERATERESIA, and a remix of X theme to fit a fight would be a small percentage of my wants. XCX's OST is honestly godlike, and people are turned off by UH YEAH UH YEAH (which is still a great song T B H), I think hearing some of the greatest hits would really make people interested in XCX, and maybe make people who were initially turned off give it another chance.
Black tar (both versions) is a must, as well as both the minor and major boss fight themes.

Also, both Sylvalum themes, aBOreSSs, and In The Forest (X->Z ver). And I doubt they’d put it in, but the instrumental version of Uncontrollable (the one that plays in most time attacks) I’d love to see that.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Codename Z deserves to be in no matter what, I think it'd fit on gaur plain pretty well if we don't get an X stage, probably my favourite track.

also,
(Guilty pleasure but it's a bop tbh)
(maybe without the vocals)
(Would fit extremely well on gaur plain)

Sidenote sylvalum would be such a pretty stage, with the pink sky and the spores obscuring the field would be a neat albeit annoying thing

Last edited:

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Not only does Black Tar need to be in, it needs to be what plays during Elma's trailer. Also, I unironically enjoy New L.A.'s night theme, and I hope it gets in so I can go to My Music and set it as my home menu theme.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Uncontrollable or bust for her trailer, IMO. I’m even ok with the instrumental version. It’s a real “hype bringer” track.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Uncontrollable or bust for her trailer, IMO. I’m even ok with the instrumental version. It’s a real “hype bringer” track.
Wouldn’t it be cool, if You Will Know Our Names was playing and showing Shulk fighting, only for Uncontrollable to drown it out as we get an Elma reveal? That would be hype!

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Even in-game people recognize Elma is the star, most of your deeds are credited under "Elma's team" and it's only late game that people start appreciating you.
I recall at least one side mission in X where somebody outright accuses you of just riding on Elma's coattails.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
You guys are making me wanna play this game even more now.
I'm trying to stop myself from listening to the OST beforehand.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
In response to an above post, I highly doubt Cross would get in before Elma. Aside from contributing to New LA via side quests, Cross doesn't really play a significant role in the story. In the main story, Cross is more or less a sidekick, while Elma plays the role of the heroine. Cross isn't like Robin, whom has a weight on his shoulders that affects his entire world. Furthermore, Cross is able to wield every weapon in the game. That said, whatever weapon he/she ends up wielding in Smash would probably annoy those whom would have rather had him/her wield a different weapon. That said, I think Elma is safe.

As for music, aside from the obvious choices (Black Tar, Uncontrollable, Wir Fliegen, New LA (day and night)) as well as the ones already posted, these are mine personal picks:

♪ NO.EX01 (Major Boss Battle)
♪ z37b20a13t01t08le (Minor Boss Battle)
♪ z29ba2t0t1l301e17 (Ganglion Skell Battle)
♪ aBOreSSs (Prog Ares Battle)
♪ Don't worry (Flight Theme)

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
In response to an above post, I highly doubt Cross would get in before Elma. Aside from contributing to New LA via side quests, Cross doesn't really play a significant role in the story. In the main story, Cross is more or less a sidekick, while Elma plays the role of the heroine. Cross isn't like Robin, whom has a weight on his shoulders that affects his entire world. Furthermore, Cross is able to wield every weapon in the game. That said, whatever weapon he/she ends up wielding in Smash would probably annoy those whom would have rather had him/her wield a different weapon. That said, I think Elma is safe.

As for music, aside from the obvious choices (Black Tar, Uncontrollable, Wir Fliegen, New LA (day and night)) as well as the ones already posted, these are mine personal picks:

♪ NO.EX01 (Major Boss Battle)
♪ z37b20a13t01t08le (Minor Boss Battle)
♪ z29ba2t0t1l301e17 (Ganglion Skell Battle)
♪ aBOreSSs (Prog Ares Battle)
♪ Don't worry (Flight Theme)
Yea. I feel like Cross could potentially be a neat character, but it’s not happening.
And those are some great picks. Just imagine if the stage was a traveling stage where you go all over Mira. It would be magical to listen to Don’t Worry while soaring across Mira while beating the crap out of other characters with Elma, lol.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It’s good to see aBOreSSs get some love, it’s a very dramatic track, which imo Smash needs more of (LOVED the inclusion of Calling to the Night in Brawl). Especially since that song plays during an...emotionally charged boss fight in chapter 11

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
It’s good to see aBOreSSs get some love, it’s a very dramatic track, which imo Smash needs more of (LOVED the inclusion of Calling to the Night in Brawl). Especially since that song plays during an...emotionally charged boss fight in chapter 11
I don’t actually remember that song, I’ll have to listen to it again later. But yea, Smash could use some more dramatic songs.

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
The best thing about Smash Ultimate is if there is an XCX stage with sweet music, and it has hazards, you can turn em off, and even if the stage layout is bad Omega mode is actually good, and Battlefield mode is even better. Meaning you actually get to enjoy the music.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
The best thing about Smash Ultimate is if there is an XCX stage with sweet music, and it has hazards, you can turn em off, and even if the stage layout is bad Omega mode is actually good, and Battlefield mode is even better. Meaning you actually get to enjoy the music.
Wait, did they confirm that you can turn off just stage hazards?

Top Bottom