• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elite Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Yea I’d like to know what qualifies too, my combined total is around 1.7 mil and I’ve reached as high as 1.6 mil with Ridley and Link, still haven’t unlocked it yet

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
So it's based off the top percentage of players? I keep hovering around 1.5k since i started playing online 2 days ago, but havent gotten to 1.7 yet. The 1.6ers are def way better than everyone else ive been playing haha
Yea I’d like to know what qualifies too, my combined total is around 1.7 mil and I’ve reached as high as 1.6 mil with Ridley and Link, still haven’t unlocked it yet
There is a certain threshold with ONE character that you need to pass in order to make it. It was about 1.65 last I checked but increases everyday and I haven't played yet today but it's probably past 1.7 now.

Phosphophyllite

Smash Cadet
Can confirm it's 1.7 Mil, I got there for Ridley, K Rool and Dedede. It's not exactly 1.7, more like 1.71 or so, but it's still around about there.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Right now the minimum seems to be around 1.73m, that's when I got another character into it.

Squint

Smash Rookie
NNID
Oshawot64
Switch FC
SW 2634 8373 6123
I heard people say recently that you needed a to reach a million GSP. My average for most characters is over 1,000,000 and I still haven’t been able to play it. Has the minimum requirement been raised? If you’ve unlocked it I’d like to know what GSP it was at or if there are any other factors. Either way, I’ll stick to quick play until I unlock it.

For reference my average for characters I haven’t used is about 1,200,000.

My highest is about 1,600,000 and my lowest is around 200,000.

Idk if I should grind out the characters I played day 1 and set down or raise the average that appears for the unused ones.

RenegadeKnight

Smash Rookie
If I'm remembering right it's top 10 percent of total pop, so it's in constant flux. Most streamers I see have their mains at close to 1.8 million.

Squint

Smash Rookie
NNID
Oshawot64
Switch FC
SW 2634 8373 6123
If I'm remembering right it's top 10 percent of total pop, so it's in constant flux. Most streamers I see have their mains at close to 1.8 million.
It says my roster GSP is just over 1,600,000 looks like I gotta grind some more

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I think the percentage is actually smaller than 10%. I mean, if you think about it, people at this moment need to be around about 1.72m ~ 1.73m. We are likely enough to know that 1.8m isn't reachable quite yet due to not enough new people playing the game online yet (Although give it a day and we'll probably be there anyway). But let's say at this moment 1.8m is the max. 10% of that is 180,000. Meaning that if we take 1,800,000 and subtract 180,000 we get 1,620,000 which would be the GSP required to get into elite. We know this isn't true already because people right now need to be roughly 1.72m ~ 1.73m. With this, I'd say top 5% would be more accurate but even this is slightly off as I got 1.71m to be the required GSP for elite. But I'd probably stick with saying 5% as this is only a rough estimate of mine as I don't know what the current highest GSP is what what exactly is the minimum to qualify.

I think it could be even smaller but I'd hate to be more specific about it. Saying something like top 3.8% or even 4% doesn't sound so great and probably bother me as 5% sounds normal and not specific. But at the very least I think I can confirm it's not 10%. If I did this wrong then I'm sorry and I'll go right ahead to drop out of college.

RenegadeKnight

Smash Rookie
I think the percentage is actually smaller than 10%. I mean, if you think about it, people at this moment need to be around about 1.72m ~ 1.73m. We are likely enough to know that 1.8m isn't reachable quite yet due to not enough new people playing the game online yet (Although give it a day and we'll probably be there anyway). But let's say at this moment 1.8m is the max. 10% of that is 180,000. Meaning that if we take 1,800,000 and subtract 180,000 we get 1,620,000 which would be the GSP required to get into elite. We know this isn't true already because people right now need to be roughly 1.72m ~ 1.73m. With this, I'd say top 5% would be more accurate but even this is slightly off as I got 1.71m to be the required GSP for elite. But I'd probably stick with saying 5% as this is only a rough estimate of mine as I don't know what the current highest GSP is what what exactly is the minimum to qualify.

I think it could be even smaller but I'd hate to be more specific about it. Saying something like top 3.8% or even 4% doesn't sound so great and probably bother me as 5% sounds normal and not specific. But at the very least I think I can confirm it's not 10%. If I did this wrong then I'm sorry and I'll go right ahead to drop out of college.
I'm going off what I remember them saying all the way back in the direct (which my memory may be faulty there). One thing you have to consider though is if the gsp is accurate to the player base. I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to give gsp some padding, so that there isn't a true 1 gsp ranking. Kind of like a false encouragement thing. That could account for the weird math. The only way to know this is to have the population of current online players, which I assume isn't known.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I got into elite smash last night only to have it immediately taken away by a really good Peach player. I've since made up the lost GSP but not seeing elite smash now.

GSP is a very stupid ranking system. It feels like it was just tacked on at the end of development because Nintendo told them to make it so bad players don't feel bad if they lose a lot. So they always have a big ass number next to their names regardless of how much they win or lose. I don't see why they couldn't just make Elite Smash the ranked mode, and Quickplay the fun mode, and have both unlocked for everyone from the start. This in combination with putting a higher priority on preferred rules (or even a return to For Glory days and being able to choose 1v1 or FFA lobbies) could make GSP work a bit better. And even maybe having rewards for passing a certain GSP level in a certain mode. Then it actually means something.

Bluii

Smash Rookie
My inkling gsp is 1,617,648 and my roster gsp is 1,747,738. Still no elite smash. I wanna be in it ughh!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I got into elite smash last night only to have it immediately taken away by a really good Peach player. I've since made up the lost GSP but not seeing elite smash now.

GSP is a very stupid ranking system. It feels like it was just tacked on at the end of development because Nintendo told them to make it so bad players don't feel bad if they lose a lot. So they always have a big *** number next to their names regardless of how much they win or lose. I don't see why they couldn't just make Elite Smash the ranked mode, and Quickplay the fun mode, and have both unlocked for everyone from the start. This in combination with putting a higher priority on preferred rules (or even a return to For Glory days and being able to choose 1v1 or FFA lobbies) could make GSP work a bit better. And even maybe having rewards for passing a certain GSP level in a certain mode. Then it actually means something.
While I understand wanting GSP to be treated differently based on what kind of mode you play, I just hate the idea of unranked online play in general. In theory it's supposed to be a stress-free environment to play in without worrying about losing rank for doing poorly, but the truth is they're usually no-man's lands with zero matchmaking based on skill, that players with any degree of skill don't feel welcome in as more often than not they'll fight low-level players who are too scared of being "judged" for their rank, leading to a poor experience for all involved.

Arenas are a far more elegant way to have unranked play because you can still somewhat tailor them based on your skill level (and region if you fear latency) and still retain the ability to play without fear of being judged for your rank.

Basically, I get that you don't want to risk your GSP in modes that you don't want to play, but all that's needed is to have different GSP for the three main gameplay types (free-for-all, 1v1s, doubles), and then you have the best of both worlds: the matchmaking speed of everyone being in one queue while not having anything to lose if you get modes you don't care about. What we had at launch basically was a giant unranked mode... and it was miserable for everyone.

Also, if you need tangible rewards for raising your online rank beyond a sense of satisfaction, then I guess nearly every ranking system in online games is meaningless.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
While I understand wanting GSP to be treated differently based on what kind of mode you play, I just hate the idea of unranked online play in general. In theory it's supposed to be a stress-free environment to play in without worrying about losing rank for doing poorly, but the truth is they're usually no-man's lands with zero matchmaking based on skill, that players with any degree of skill don't feel welcome in as more often than not they'll fight low-level players who are too scared of being "judged" for their rank, leading to a poor experience for all involved.

Arenas are a far more elegant way to have unranked play because you can still somewhat tailor them based on your skill level (and region if you fear latency) and still retain the ability to play without fear of being judged for your rank.

Basically, I get that you don't want to risk your GSP in modes that you don't want to play, but all that's needed is to have different GSP for the three main gameplay types (free-for-all, 1v1s, doubles), and then you have the best of both worlds: the matchmaking speed of everyone being in one queue while not having anything to lose if you get modes you don't care about. What we had at launch basically was a giant unranked mode... and it was miserable for everyone.

Also, if you need tangible rewards for raising your online rank beyond a sense of satisfaction, then I guess nearly every ranking system in online games is meaningless.
By rewards I meant something like Halo Reach's ranking system. The better you are, and more wins/GSP you get, you raise your rank and get a new title and symbol next to your name. Maybe also make it the fastest way to obtain credits to buy spirits/music/whatever from the shop. It's not something you need to do, but it's there for those who want it. Give some added incentive for doing well. Sense of satisfaction for playing well only goes so far and doesn't work on everyone. We're the minority here.

And I don't really get what you're saying about unranked online modes. Most games that I've played that include both ranked and unranked modes, both modes are loaded with players. Of course, unranked may attract more trolly behavior due to the absence of risk involved by playing poorly, but that happens in any game. But if you're just going in for a fun time, who really cares?

I just think you should be able to choose ranked or unranked mode, pick your lobby based on rules you want (1v1 no items, FFA with items, 2v2, etc), and get matched to people who joined the same lobby.

And if I want to get really picky, my wishlist would be to possibly give the ability to choose or vote/veto stage choice (maybe 1v1 would just be a choice between Omegas and Battlefield stages, considering how granular you can get with stages and someone could be a **** and choose 75m on a ranked 1v1 match or something).

Note these are all things that the aforementioned series had implemented 10+ years ago. I just think Nintendo doesn't understand online play and why people do it. They're selling a service they weren't ready to back up. Nintendo's just really behind the times due to them wanting to hold hands and not make people feel bad for losing. Usually most of the toxicity in online games comes from the ability to directly communicate to your opponent(s). I would be completely fine if Nintendo never implemented a voice chat or messaging feature. That's usually what makes people feel crappy about playing the game. Not losing. But they need to get off this GSP participation trophy platform.

Last edited:

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
I'm at 1.7 with Ganon and not in.

>mfw

still no pickles.gif

Last edited:

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
Hey all,

I'm really so confused about this Elite Smash thing. I know that it's quite likely that many of you are wondering or in the dark as well, but I'm curious to know if anyone has found any rhyme or reason as to how it is really unlocked.

I unlocked it rather quickly with Mewtwo after a few days of owning the game, but then after suffering only one or two losses it no longer said that I was in the Elite Smash category. From what I understand it is character specific? You have to unlock Elite for each character as you play? But there is no specific GSP to achieve in order to get to Elite Smash? Is it possible to lose access to it once you've unlocked it?

Does anyone have any definitive data on this? I find it really confusing and mysterious. Yet another one of Nintendo's perfectly designed features. . . .

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not sure. The GSP is a good indicator, but it seems to me you have to keep in a winning streak. After a few losses in Elite Smash, you get kicked out. And yes indeed you have to unlock the feature with any of the characters you wish to bring there.

Good luck my friend.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I’m pretty frustrated now, I hit over 2 million with Toon Link and my roster total is almost 2.1 mil but I still haven’t unlocked it

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
I have an 80% win rate right now at 2.1 mil and I still haven't unlocked it on the character I'm playing. Definitely had a few win streaks in that 80% that went to 5.

So to put it simply, the barrier to break has def gone up a lot, or something's messed up, but I don't like making excuses for myself, so I'll just assume there's been a large increase in high level players.

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
yeah I just hit 2 mil tonight and it didn't come back. I originally accessed it at 1.6 mill before this.

KingDadada

Smash Rookie
I just hit it again at 2.087 million. It's pretty meaningless, no need to worry about it. Otherwise you'll get unnecessarily stressed every time you go on a losing streak and lose it or be afraid to use a character, etc. It's just shiny stars people.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I have an 80% win rate right now at 2.1 mil and I still haven't unlocked it on the character I'm playing. Definitely had a few win streaks in that 80% that went to 5.

So to put it simply, the barrier to break has def gone up a lot, or something's messed up, but I don't like making excuses for myself, so I'll just assume there's been a large increase in high level players.
I think there's more to the elite algorithm than people think and not all of it can be attributed to skill level. As we all know, Nintendo's matchmaking system is not that good.

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
Have elite at 2.2 million on Zelda. I think it unlocked around 2,117k

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I hit 2.5 million tonight, highest I've ever been, and still no return to elite. It gets hard to maintain this level considering how many higher level players I run into at this spot. I wouldn't believe it was real if it hadn't glanced by me around 1.6 million however long ago.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I honestly think they need to lower the requirements for getting into Elite Smash. It’s rising at such a high rate that it will be downright unattainable for most people, which I think largely takes the fun out of online

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I hit 2.5 million tonight, highest I've ever been, and still no return to elite. It gets hard to maintain this level considering how many higher level players I run into at this spot. I wouldn't believe it was real if it hadn't glanced by me around 1.6 million however long ago.
Interesting. I'm at 2.15 with Ganon and still in so this tells me the threshold is character specific.

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
I'm above 2.3 mil now but I'm definitely starting to hit my soft cap on my current skill level. The folks I'm getting are consistently difficult and I've taken some pretty bad Ls today that I'll have to reflect on. Still in elite though as Zelda.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I'm fairly interested as to what the cap is for characters that have next to no one playing them online. Like could I win like 3 games as Duck Hunt and make it in? Any WFT players feel like chiming in?

I'm also starting to think that this is why I see so much of Chrom, Roy, K Rool, Belmonts, etc. and so little of some other really good characters. These guys are so oversaturated online that their Elite level is something insane, and I guess Wolf's is too. Other high tier characters like Pikachu/Pichu, Peach/Daisy, etc seem to have less people flocking to them overall so their GSP cap might be lower.

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
I'm fairly interested as to what the cap is for characters that have next to no one playing them online. Like could I win like 3 games as Duck Hunt and make it in? Any WFT players feel like chiming in?

I'm also starting to think that this is why I see so much of Chrom, Roy, K Rool, Belmonts, etc. and so little of some other really good characters. These guys are so oversaturated online that their Elite level is something insane, and I guess Wolf's is too. Other high tier characters like Pikachu/Pichu, Peach/Daisy, etc seem to have less people flocking to them overall so their GSP cap might be lower.
Well the "online meta" definitely favors those characters due to the irremovable lag and loss of something like at least 6 frames of delay, making precision techniques immensely more difficult and anything requiring finesse to be downright frustrating occasionally to pull off. Doesn't even account for what the connection is like between the players, it can always be worse.

Peach and the zap rats are definitely more finesse based characters that require more effort and thus are definitely gonna see less usage compared to campy characters like the links or the heavies who benefit extremely from throwing out random punishes with such a delay present.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I got in again with Wolf at 2,334,497. Which I don’t understand because I was at 2.48 million for a short time the other day and didn’t get in. I was on a winning streak this time though, does that count in your favor for this? Will we ever know? Stay tuned for me to immediately fall back out.

Mingy Jongo

Smash Rookie
2.3 million with ROB and still not in. Any confirmation on if different characters require different GSP?

Telek

Smash Rookie
I got in with Dark Samus @ ~2,332 this afternoon. I'm not sure characters matter, i imagine there are some severely underplayed characters and it should be relatively easy to get with them if it were. I suspect you're right on the edge

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I got in with Dark Samus @ ~2,332 this afternoon. I'm not sure characters matter, i imagine there are some severely underplayed characters and it should be relatively easy to get with them if it were. I suspect you're right on the edge
It is character specific. Someone said they were still in with Ganondorf at 2.1 million and I was stuck at 2.3 with Wolf still outside of elite.

On a side note I got knocked out of Elite immediately as I had predicted, by someone who’s preferred rules were at ONE STOCK THREE MINUTES. This system is seriously frustrating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom